• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Vein |OT| Dark Souls, Anime and Waifus

sublimit

Banned
I got the game on Monday but i still haven't got enough time to play it as much as i would like (I'm still in the demo area).Hopefully tonight i will be able to play for 3-4 hours.

Btw i asked a mod some days ago to change the thread's title to "Prepare To Anime" but there was no response. Is there someone particular who i should ask for it?
I hate the title (and i fucked it up by typing "reverant" instead of "revenant") -_-'

KàIRóS

My copy arrives today from Target. I got it for $49.99 USD. I hope the game is a lot of fun.

I'm replaying DS2:SoFS and its a really good game to be honest. I know people have complained about it. Even back when it came out, the game is huge or at least it feels big. There's so many bosses and the SotFS made small changes that add up. Sure there's some criticisms. You have sometimes condensed areas and bosses that just appear. But in all honesty, its not that bad. The pacing and the slowness increase with stats IMO. Putting points to get agility to 99/100 is almost a must. I'm closing the game out now and I've had more fun with it now than I did when I first played it. I've also swapped out build mid-game because the DLC isn't for a faith based Cleric IMO.

Saying Code Vein is better than DS2 might be a good thing or it should be taken with a grain of salt. I personally liked DS2, even if its not exactly my most favorite Dark Souls title.

it's better than Vanilla DS2 but counting all DLC I think DS2 is still better than Code Vein, the DLC areas in DS2 are some of the best FROM has ever made.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got the game on Monday but i still haven't got enough time to play it as much as i would like (I'm still in the demo area).Hopefully tonight i will be able to play for 3-4 hours.

Btw i asked a mod some days ago to change the thread's title to "Prepare To Anime" but there was no response. Is there someone particular who i should ask for it?
I hate the title (and i fucked it up by typing "reverant" instead of "revenant") -_-'

rev·er·ent
/ˈrev(ə)rənt/

adjective

1. feeling or showing deep and solemn respect.
🤔

I think its pretty good. Misspelled, but still good..

Last edited:

Pejo

When I had to get a thread title changed in the past, a mod told me to report the OP and ask for it in there, that way a mod views it and it's documented.

I had this game pre-ordered since like June, and downloaded since Monday, but I've been on a vacation and too tired to even fire it up the past 2 nights. I'm hoping to finally dig in tonight.

Oddspeak

Finished it earlier this morning. I like it. It's good, but not great.

Combat is generally solid, though sometimes I feel hits lack weight. Player character animations feel heavy, but sometimes too much so. I honestly feel like I got hit way more often here than I ever did in Souls when trying to find the right opportunity to heal or buff.

Level design varies in complexity, sometimes being straightforward -- which is fine -- and sometimes being long and winding. A couple of them are so huge and maze-like though, that they turn exhausting. I really hated trudging through the entire second half of the Cathedral.

Story is hit or miss. Unlike most other Souls-likes, Code Vein is pretty cutscene heavy, and if you're not invested, they'll feel like they're getting in the way of gameplay. If the story doesn't pull you in by the end of the Cathedral, it likely never will for the remainder.

Selection of weapons and veils is pretty sparse, especially the latter. Anyone expecting cool fashion beyond what's available in character creator will be greatly disappointed. However, the real build variety comes from Blood Codes and mastering skills to mix and match regardless of equipped Codes. It grants the player to really customize their combat experience down to the minute detail.

The game is not long, I finished it at just under 25 hours, with most side quests done and I think only one or two Depths levels not complete. I left them incomplete to start NG+ because I fucked up and missed a vestige necessary for one of the endings. But I see the game having some strong replayability thanks to the Blood Code skill grind and mixing. Speaking of NG+ though, I really like the convenience of being able to select either staying in the original difficulty level or increasing it. I'm staying at the original so I can rush and get the ending I missed, then I'll begin proper NG+ with higher difficulty.

And thankfully, big anime titty presence is strong.

If I had to give it a rating, I'd say it's a very firm 7/10 for me, but I can see it being 8 or 9 material for some.

Ovek

7Member7
Here is my sexy vampire...

oLqvV25.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Code Vein Depression Edition fits it better honestly :D

KàIRóS

I finally finished it, my total playtime was 42 hours, I did all side content and helped some randoms in Online mode (BTW the NPC allies are definitely much better than most players lol) I'm giving it an 8/10 here are some quick pros/cons:

Pros:
-It has a really good story I especially liked the Vestige Memories that tell the backstories of all characters, they reminded me a lot of the "Thousand Years of Dreams" short stories in Lost Odyssey (for anyone that played that game)
-There's a lot of variety in levels, there are 15 main levels and 12 optional levels that are basically like the chalice dungeons of Bloodborne, most areas look different and have special gimmicks to them, exploration is one of the best parts of Code Vein and it's one of the areas that truly make companions shine, they will tell you about items they see and mark them on your map, they wil alert you of enemies and hazards and will even suggest were not to fight.
-Many annoyances from Souls games are not present in Code Vein, weapon and armor durability, encumbrance, a super rare item or location required to respec, not being able to join other players due to difference in level, etc.
-The Gifts(Skills) made combat more interesting, unfortunately for me I was using a Strength build for most of the game so I wasn't using spells or combat arts a lot, mostly buffs.
-It has a really good soundtrack.
-it has a godlike character creator, probably the best 1 in soulslike games actually.

Cons:
-There's a serious lack of enemy variety, most areas just have reskins of enemies.
-Movesets are also very limited along with weapon selection, there are some cool boss weapons but that's it. This along with the lack of enemy variety made combat fairly repetitive, it was never boring tho.
-The game did crash on me a few times (4 if I remember correctly) and it had some awful FPS drops on some areas, I also heard audio clipping and some characters saying their lines in japanese when I was playing in english.
-It's the easiest Soulslike game (I guess this could actually be a pro for some)

It's a good entry to the soulslike genre, I would actually recommend it to those that find Dark Souls too hard, it's the second best Non-From Software souls game IMO, here's my ranking of soulslike games for comparison:

1.- Dark Souls 3 10/10
2.- Bloodborne 10/10
3.- Dark Souls 10/10
4.- Sekiro 9/10
5.- Demon's Souls 9/10
6.- Dark Souls 2 8.5/10
7.- Nioh 8.5/10
8.- Code Vein 8/10
9.- The Surge 2 8/10
10.- Ashen 7/10
11.- The Surge 6.5/10
12.- Lords of the Fallen 6/10

And finally for God Eater fans, there's a surprise almost at the end, I won't spoil it but it has to do with the Aragami and it basically blew my mind as a fan of the God Eater games.

Here's one final pic of my character and the gang.

XZo3IT3.jpg

Shifty

What's a Reverant?

This game seems more neato than I gave it credit for. The art style is pure anime trash, but the stand power clothes are rad as hell, and the blood code system is an interesting way to do progression.

sublimit

Banned
Play the game
I am! But i'm taking my sweet time exploring every nook and cranny,taking screenshots, trying every weapon's combo moveset,practising parries (which, in contrast with what some idiot reviewers have said, its parry mechanic DOES work,you just have to learn enemy patterns and don't spam it like an idiot) and trying out the various Gifts. So i guess it will take me a while before i understand what you mean. :p

Btw here are some options for the new title so please post which one you prefer the most before i "report" the thread in order to ask for a title change:

Code Vein |OT| Prepare to Anime

Code Vein |OT| Souls May Cry

Code Vein |OT| Dark Souls, Anime and Waifus

Code Vein |OT| Anime Souls

Code Vein |OT| Bloodborne but it's Anime

Code Vein |OT| Dairy Edition

Code Vein |OT| Depression Edition

Pejo

Finally dug in last night for a few hours. Love the game so far. The only thing I find myself disliking a bit is the clunkiness of the combat. The smaller enemies are way too easy to just fish for backstabs and the big enemies just have huge sweeping moves that can easily be iframed via rolls. There's none of the chess-like combat from other souls games where you have to weigh in on your weapon's speed vs. the enemy's attack speed and time it correctly. I'm also finding the NPC helpers to be a bit too helpful. I barely get to even hit some of the smaller enemies unless I rush them. I'll probably end up not using NPCs for the majority of the game unless I get stuck or something.

I've settled in on spears for my weapon type. Decent speed/power/knockback and they have the great R1+triangle stab move for hallways and stuff. Plus I haven't gotten a blood code yet that can't use them, so there's no downside. Definitely like the pierce armor as well. Makes me feel even more like I'm playing a proper Tokyo Ghoul game, lol.

Anyways, it hasn't dethroned the proper Souls games or Nioh as my favorites, but it's super enjoyable and I can't wait to get back to it.

Reactions: Isa

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
295-AF07-A-950-A-4611-B57-F-67-E44-DCE69-CC.jpg

I played for a couple hours. It has this unique way of keeping you coming back for more. The AI companion feels OP. During the first boss I rolled away to heal and the AI is practically doing all the work. I about felt cheated out of my first boss. It has that God Eater feeling to it and its wrapped up in the Souls formula. I’d say God Eater fans will appreciate it more than a typical Souls fan would. I am also enjoying the environment for what it is. I certainly don’t mind transversing through the areas (so far, so good).

sublimit

Banned
I am also enjoying the environment for what it is. I certainly don’t mind transversing through the areas (so far, so good).
Same! I really love the atmosphere and aesthetics of the outdoors urban environments (so far) and feels rewarding to explore every corner.The caves and underground tunnels not so much. Still i wish environments in general were more varied in terms of traversal as well as in terms of assets but i guess this is due to their limited budget. I hope Namco gives them a much bigger budget to work with on the sequel.

Last edited:

JohannCK

I finished the game, it was a weird experience for me. These were my thoughts:

The plagiarized:

Anor Londo from DS1
The pit from DS2
The poison zone from DS3
The Dragonrider area from DS2
The Sen fortress rolling ball from DS1
The Crack with light that shines trough when reaching Majula from DS2.
More that I just don't remember anymore. Some are nitpicky but some are just plain copy-pasted like the poison zone before Abyss watchers.

The bad:
Weapons were boring and forgettable. Combat is mostly weightless.
Most vestiges (or memories) are slow and dragging.
Enemies are reskins and sometimes you were in the endgame areas and it's the same easy mobs from the start with just a little more HP. No imagination in the enemy design department.
A couple good bosses and a lot of repetition. They all have some sword attacks, then a super telegraphed AOE, and some annoying magic attack when <50% HP>
The valuables system was just plain stupid and unnecessary.
The maps you give the buff dude were so boring to do I just couldn't finish them all.
Your companion just doesn't shut up. Funny this came out so close to Greedfall because that's what it reminded me of.
The never ending ambushes behind that corner. (doesn't matter when you read this, there is an enemy hiding behind every corner)

The good:
The character creator, fun to use and pretty robust. A welcome addition and puts to shame ever other souls-like but required more cloth options IMO.
Parts of the story are interesting and some characters are pretty memorable. A little hit or miss but good overall.
The blood code system and the gift hotkey bars are great. Lots of customization to fit whatever you want to do.
The map system and the dots you leave behind when exploring. It was really well implemented and made some exploring really fun.

The great:
You can turn off the back-stab cinematic.

All in all, a good lukewarm game. 6/10.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
The bad:
Weapons were boring and forgettable. Combat is mostly weightless.
Most vestiges (or memories) are slow and dragging.

Enemies are reskins and sometimes you were in the endgame areas and it's the same easy mobs from the start with just a little more HP. No imagination in the enemy design department.
A couple good bosses and a lot of repetition. They all have some sword attacks, then a super telegraphed AOE, and some annoying magic attack when <50% HP>
The valuables system was just plain stupid and unnecessary.
The maps you give the buff dude were so boring to do I just couldn't finish them all.
Your companion just doesn't shut up. Funny this came out so close to Greedfall because that's what it reminded me of.
The never ending ambushes behind that corner. (doesn't matter when you read this, there is an enemy hiding behind every corner)

Couldn't disagree more with the bolded. I'm puting a huge amount of time experimenting with various weapon/blood code/blood veil combinitions in combat (playing both solo and coop) and the there's so much depth in there it's insane. I can only imagine how much fun a PvP system would have been with all the unique builds we could create.
The vestiges were a very unique approach to storytelling and the history of the characters and i really appreciated that.
Valuables give another incentive to explore every nook and cranny which is something that i am enjoying a lot.

So far i'm enjoying the game immensely (although it has its fair share of flaws) and i'll write my opinion once i finish it and take some time to "digest" it. But so far it already makes me imagining all the improvements they could implement in a potential sequel and that makes me very very excited!

Pejo

I'm about 20 hours in now, and I am loving the game more and more every time I learn something new. Yesterday I found out that the blood codes also have an effect on your base movement speed. So if you start out with a "quick" blood code, and use fast/light weapons and blood veil, you can actually dash around instead of rolling, with tons of iFrames. It really opens up the different paths to combat that you have.

Also, as I've finally got a decently sized cache of weapons, I can appreciate that they all do have variations in movesets. So far I know of the following different moves per weapon:

• X combos (different but from a similar "pool" of movements based on weapon type)
  • Y tap
  • Y hold
  • RB + X (knocks the enemy away, several weapons also allow you to close distance with this one)
  • RB + Y (looks like an aerial launcher, but I haven't actually ever launched anything yet)
  • Dashing X/Y (same move)
  • Rolling X/Y
  • Dashback X/Y
  • Blood veil dependent backstab
  • Blood veil dependent B hold

So overall movesets are pretty comparable to souls games. The biggest differentiator between individual weapons seems to be the Y hold move, which I feel gives each weapon its identity.

Bosses are actually a little tougher for me in this game than Souls games. They have a lot of quick sweeping attacks that have little/no windup. It's especially tough on bosses if you're running slow weapons on a slow blood code and you can't dodge out of range. Also, blocking is mostly useless as you still take quite a bit of damage, and blocks seem pretty easy to break. I haven't yet tried using gifts to boost blocking, so that might make a difference. At any rate, this is the most time I've put into a game in quite a while. It even pushed away my urge to play WoW Classic, which was taking up all of my free time for a while.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I fought Agent Wolf Berserker and I thought the AI helped distract it. The swings hit pretty hard. I kept imagining a Victorian gravy dish while exploring that area (which I thought looked pretty good for what it was. I have come to appreciate the AI a lot more. I'd say Code Vein 2 needs fewer cutscene or reflections. It isn't like they're horrible, but I'd like to move on after a boss fight or save/quit a lot faster. I've also joined the Zweihander club here and have mine at a +6. I experimented with weapons in the beginning, but the Zweihander works. I think the bosses are pretty good. I actually had to utilize the anti-slowness item just because being slowed down with no speed at all was a pain. I laughed a bit when I fell off the map because I couldn't see where to go. Overall I'm enjoying it.

Couldn't disagree more with the bolded. I'm puting a huge amount of time experimenting with various weapon/blood code/blood veil combinitions in combat (playing both solo and coop) and the there's so much depth in there it's insane. I can only imagine how much fun a PvP system would have been with all the unique builds we could create.
The vestiges were a very unique approach to storytelling and the history of the characters and i really appreciated that.
Valuables give another incentive to explore every nook and cranny which is something that i am enjoying a lot.

So far i'm enjoying the game immensely (although it has its fair share of flaws) and i'll write my opinion once i finish it and take some time to "digest" it. But so far it already makes me imagining all the improvements they could implement in a potential sequel and that makes me very very excited!

I didn't say the combinations were boring. I was just talking about the weapons, their look and animation is boring to me. The blood codes and variety I said it was great.
Vestiges are boring because they are too slow to navigate.
Valuables are unnecessary, the rewards are not good enough and the main problem I have with them is that you get stupid memorabilia that you gift the characters and then they sell you something back. It's pretty stupid overall the whole system. Just make them give you a good reward when you give them something really meaningful to them (not an OLD TEA KETTLE) and reward exploration that way.

This is all my opinion of course. But you misinterpreted my point about the weapons since afterwards I talked about the blood codes.

KàIRóS

I recommended this game to a friend that just couldn't beat Sekiro and completely quit the game earlier this year and he said he's enjoying Code Vein a lot, I guess being an overall easier game compared to the From games has it's advantges too.

Lesleyy

Neo Member
I didn't say the combinations were boring. I was just talking about the weapons, their look and animation is boring to me. The blood codes and variety I said it was great.
Valuables are unnecessary, the rewards are not good enough and the main problem I have with them is that you get stupid memorabilia that you gift the characters and then they sell you something back. It's pretty stupid overall the whole system. Just make them give you a good reward when you give them something really meaningful to them (not an OLD TEA KETTLE) and reward exploration that way.

This is all my opinion of course. But you misinterpreted my point about the weapons since afterwards I talked about the blood codes.

So sour, holy shit. Sleep it off.

sublimit

Banned

You said: "Weapons were boring and forgettable. Combat is mostly weightless " and i personally completely disagree with that both in terms of Weapon Designs as well as "combat weight". Sure the reactions of some of the enemies could have been better but to say "combat is weightless" is a completely different experience from the one i had.
Same goes with the Vestiges which i personally think they added a lot of unique identity to the game.
The Valuables like i said gave me another reason to explore because some of the exchange items the NPCs gave were quite helpful.

But hey like you said that's your opinion if you didn't liked these things and i totally respect that. :) The problem is that i see a lot of people (not talking about you) who are trying to find "serious" reasons to look down on the game when the true reasons they hate it are its aesthetics or (even worse) the way it depicts some of its female characters.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

sublimit

Banned
Code Vein - Previous notice for October update patch (Ver. 1.04)
code-vein_notice-patch104%20%281%29.jpg

code-vein_notice-patch104%20%282%29.jpg

Character creation
  • Adding new creation accessories, color pallets and face paints featuring Halloween.
  • Adding a new function for hair parts that allows to use as left-right symmetry.
Exploration

• Allowing to change partners at Mistle from the beginning.
  • Adding a new function to lock the map direction.
  • Adding a new function to turn off conversations during exploration.
  • Adding pop-up messages while getting abnormal conditions.
  • Changing the trigger conditions for “the Trial of Blood” .
  • Allowing to drain ichor from the sandbag during training .

Release timing for the patch would be end of October. More info will be released on the official site.

Last edited:

Pejo

Code Vein - Previous notice for October update patch (Ver. 1.04)
code-vein_notice-patch104%20%281%29.jpg

code-vein_notice-patch104%20%282%29.jpg

Character creation
  • Adding new creation accessories, color pallets and face paints featuring Halloween.
  • Adding a new function for hair parts that allows to use as left-right symmetry.
Exploration

• Allowing to change partners at Mistle from the beginning.
  • Adding a new function to lock the map direction.
  • Adding a new function to turn off conversations during exploration.
  • Adding pop-up messages while getting abnormal conditions.
  • Changing the trigger conditions for “the Trial of Blood” .
  • Allowing to drain ichor from the sandbag during training .

Release timing for the patch would be end of October. More info will be released on the official site.

Nice, some good QoL improvements there. The ichor thing from the dummy was especially frustrating. I know a lot of people are going to be happy to limit the NPC chatter.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Was wondering if someone could help me out here. I've played for a little while and just recently arrived at HQ for the first time. I've been doing some talking to all the characters, and eventually:

Louis says he wants some of my blood. Then some more talking. Afterwards when the analyzing is done, he tells me that I should go and talk to Coco and Murasame, and that they should be ready now. But they aren't. "Come back later", "Can't help you right now" and so on. I really don't know what to do, and Louis just repeats himself as well. Everybody in HQ is in repeat mode, and I can't seem to get anywhere, and the note on the board tells me to talk to Louis.

Did I miss something? What do I do?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Was wondering if someone could help me out here. I've played for a little while and just recently arrived at HQ for the first time. I've been doing some talking to all the characters, and eventually:

Louis says he wants some of my blood. Then some more talking. Afterwards when the analyzing is done, he tells me that I should go and talk to Coco and Murasame, and that they should be ready now. But they aren't. "Come back later", "Can't help you right now" and so on. I really don't know what to do, and Louis just repeats himself as well. Everybody in HQ is in repeat mode, and I can't seem to get anywhere, and the note on the board tells me to talk to Louis.

Did I miss something? What do I do?
You should speak to Louis and he takes your blood. You wake up in a bed. Did that happen? Can you not leave through a Mistle?

Lupin3

You should speak to Louis and he takes your blood. You wake up in a bed. Did that happen? Can you not leave through a Mistle?

Yeah, it happened already. He took my
blood, and now says I should talk to Coco and Murasame. I'm quite new to the game, though. Should I go somewhere through the mistle in HQ? What the board note is telling me, and what Louis is telling me, doesn't make sense.

I'm quite confused.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, it happened already. He took my
blood, and now says I should talk to Coco and Murasame. I'm quite new to the game, though. Should I go somewhere through the mistle in HQ? What the board note is telling me, and what Louis is telling me, doesn't make sense.

I'm quite confused.
If the NPC don't say anything try teleport to the Outer Crossroads at Area D-12 Ruined City Underground or to where you fought the boss. My memory might be wrong. I'm trying to remember exactly. I would just try to leave because that area should then open up.

Lupin3

If the NPC don't say anything try teleport to the Outer Crossroads at Area D-12 Ruined City Underground or to where you fought the boss. My memory might be wrong. I'm trying to remember exactly. I would just try to leave because that area should then open up.

All of a sudden something happened. I just added some new Gifts, and out of nowhere a cutscene started with Louis. I think I'm all good now, but that sure was weird.

JohannCK

The message board on the wall on the other side of the room from Io’s bed will usually tell you precisely what to do next.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I fought the gravy dish (identifier) Successor of the Ribcage and was thinking that was too easy and then it spawned again. That's kind of a cool concept. The second time it spawned was much easier. I didn't encounter the floor lighting up and blasting me the second time I'm kinda surprised at how much I'm enjoying this.

KàIRóS

I just finished my second playthrough on new game+ hard mode and it was considerably harder this time around, I had a lot of trouble on some areas even with the endgame blood codes and fully upgraded gear and I even had to summon other players this time around for some bosses, companions are a most on second playthrough some invasions are just impossible without them, but it was actually much mor fun for me with the added difficulty, it's still nowhere near the one shot Souls NG+7 but it was really fun nevertheless.

JohannCK

I just finished my second playthrough on new game+ hard mode and it was considerably harder this time around, I had a lot of trouble on some areas even with the endgame blood codes and fully upgraded gear and I even had to summon other players this time around for some bosses, companions are a most on second playthrough some invasions are just impossible without them, but it was actually much mor fun for me with the added difficulty, it's still nowhere near the one shot Souls NG+7 but it was really fun nevertheless.
The devs said that the game doesn't REALLY get tough until the fifth playthrough, FYI (supposedly the game only gets slightly tougher with each new playthrough up till the fourth, and the fifth is the real challenge)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got the Eternity ending. Overall I have to give it a 8.8/10. I really enjoyed it. The later bosses were much more of a challenge. I used a heavy weapon through the entire game. The environments have this religious/calming aesthetic to them. They include some very enjoyable moments where you feel comfortable grinding in a particular area.

There was only 1 boss that gave me a run for my money. It resembles one of Dark Souls most memorable battles. Outside of that, areas flowed together quite nicely. A few annoying times I tried to read the map and couldn’t make anything out. It was too small. I think they did try to change enemies, but they kept the meat and potatoes the same. Occasionally tossing in someone new. I was a level 131when I beat it. I definitely want to know what type of content/bosses they release as DLC. Next to Ashen, this is one of the best Soul-like game. The music was pretty good and whole game felt good until the credits rolled. I would definitely play a sequel.

Top Bottom