• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Mystics says, GoldenEye Xbox ports' FPS drops and Graphical issues are "authentic" to the N64 original.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That and also because of the state of it. More generaly, lately we've been delivered half ass ports, unfinished games released at full price etc etc...
The game is legendary, why didn't they put the effort into delivering something that matches that legacy ? I can't believe they ditched the graphical overhaul of the cancelled XBLA version.
Also why are the Switch and XS versions handled by different teams with different issues/perks ?

That's such a mess...

Again this wasn't on MS. Who's more likely to blame, the company that took the time and money to remaster the whole game or the company that's notorious for crappy emulated old games being drip fed with no additional features?

THE DUCK

If they did not care, then why would they have not just finished the xbla version, it would have been easier and cheaper to do so, and just let Nintendo do whatever they wanted,

Clearly Nintendo is cockblocking the whole thing, ms are fools to agree.

Not fools to agree, something is better than nothing, but your right on the money about Nintendo.

Three

I also think it was offered, but Nintendo probably wanted to get it in their N64 app and locking it behind the highest tier of NSO probably looked pretty enticing as extra value.

I really wonder about licensing behind this as you can’t buy GoldenEye outright, but instead you get it through a subscription service or buying Rare Replay.
Wouldn't that have meant actually developing it for the Switch? I think this was a budget release with an already produced emulator. A 'goodwill' thing to push subs rather than a this is a sellable product we should spend a lot of money developing thing.

Rykan

Certainly those “licensing issues” could be resolved with a certain sum of money? Or is it a matter of who actually owns the license since it’s a game tied to a movie made by a developer owned by Microsoft originally released exclusively on a Nintendo console?
It's mostly a complicated licensing issue that MS probably won't consider to be worth the hassle.

A remastered version of an old game is actually not that different from a new game as far as licensing is concerned.

Rare would first need to get the licensing rights to James Bond. This requires Rare to strike a deal with the IP holders of James Bond. Goldeneye just so happens to be the first James Bond Movie not based on one of the novels, so that means that Rare would also need to approach Eon Productions and MGM to get a hold of the film rights for its story.

Then there's the Actor Likeness rights.

Even if that's all sorted out, you still have to deal with the licensing issues of the game itself: Its a game developed by Rare, which is owned by MS, but was originally published by Nintendo.

Keeping the old game as is was probably the only way to get this done. Even now, licensing is very difficult. Supposedly, it seems Goldeneye is included in Rare collection if you purchased it digitally, but not if you purchased it on disk.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

It's mostly a complicated licensing issue that MS probably won't consider to be worth the hassle.

A remastered version of an old game is actually not that different from a new game as far as licensing is concerned.

Rare would first need to get the licensing rights to James Bond. This requires Rare to strike a deal with the IP holders of James Bond. Goldeneye just so happens to be the first James Bond Movie not based on one of the novels, so that means that Rare would also need to approach Eon Productions and MGM to get a hold of the film rights for its story.

Then there's the Actor Likeness rights.

Even if that's all sorted out, you still have to deal with the licensing issues of the game itself: Its a game developed by Rare, which is owned by MS, but was originally published by Nintendo.

Keeping the old game as is was probably the only way to get this done. Even now, licensing is very difficult. Supposedly, it seems Goldeneye is included in Rare collection if you purchased it digitally, but not if you purchased it on disk.
Thanks for the explanation.

I guess the Rare collection is one of this “rare” instances when it was better to buy digitally.

Does Goldeneye included in that collection have online or run any better than what we’re seeing now?

Rykan

I guess the Rare collection is one of this “rare” instances when it was better to buy digitally.

Does Goldeneye included in that collection have online or run any better than what we’re seeing now?
Both Switch and Xbox versions are emulated. There are framerate drops on both of them, but the dev says that's because it was that way on original Hardware
The Switch version has online play, the Xbox one does not.

The game itself doesn't support online play, it's just the N64 emulator that the Switch uses has online play whereas the one Xbox uses does not.

SCReuter

Again this wasn't on MS. Who's more likely to blame, the company that took the time and money to remaster the whole game or the company that's notorious for crappy emulated old games being drip fed with no additional features?
Nintendo is to blame for blocking the Xbox 360 remaster, but Microsoft is to blame for outsourcing this latest project to Code Mystics.

GoldenEye 007 on Switch looks and runs as it should. It's basically true to the original. The graphical issues unique to the Xbox version (e.g., wobbly geometry, blatant seams everywhere) were introduced by whatever Code Mystics did on its end. I don't understand how the quality control team looked at the in-game walls and floors "breathing" and thought it was acceptable.

THE DUCK

Nintendo is to blame for blocking the Xbox 360 remaster, but Microsoft is to blame for outsourcing this latest project to Code Mystics.

GoldenEye 007 on Switch looks and runs as it should. It's basically true to the original. The graphical issues unique to the Xbox version (e.g., wobbly geometry, blatant seams everywhere) were introduced by whatever Code Mystics did on its end. I don't understand how the quality control team looked at the in-game walls and floors "breathing" and thought it was acceptable.

Your being way overly critical. The game looks far better and plays better than the original. For an emulated version it's just fine.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Why is it so important to trash talk digital in here m

For me the digital version is always better, and it would probably never change.

But I don't try to make my opinion a fact because it's literally subjective.

SCReuter

Your being way overly critical. The game looks far better and plays better than the original. For an emulated version it's just fine.
4J Studios modernized Perfect Dark's control scheme in 2010 while managing to keep all the original gameplay mechanics intact, so why can't Code Mystics? Nightdive Studios is able to release old N64 and PC titles on modern platforms in HD without introducing bizarre texture wobbling, so why can't Code Mystics?

It's not like I'm asking for 60FPS or updated textures or even online multiplayer. This is bare minimum stuff. For passive players I'm sure it's good enough though.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

For me the digital version is always better, and it would probably never change.

But I don't try to make my opinion a fact because it's literally

IMO, physical is almost always better. I have no issues with digital games but once you buy it, you’re stuck with it for life. in fact, I own a few digital games on my Switch like MK since I know I’d never sell it. I also buy digital if they are on sale for cheap. However, I like the ability to resell my games once completed, especially for single player games like GoW or Calisto Protocol and I’ll do the same with Dead Space.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
IMO, physical is almost always better. I have no issues with digital games but once you buy it, you’re stuck with it for life. in fact, I own a few digital games on my Switch like MK since I know I’d never sell it. I also buy digital if they are on sale for cheap. However, I like the ability to resell my games once completed, especially for single player games like GoW or Calisto Protocol and I’ll do the same with Dead Space.
Makes sense.

Personally, I collect games. Buy them dirt cheap physically, buy then digitally so me and my gf only needs one copy to play at the same time.

I like having a collection, even if it's digital. I usually never replay games, but I only buys games on heavy sales.

bender

What time is it?
Can’t complain about a FREE game I received as part of Rare Replay I bought seven years ago.
AliveDangerousBlackpanther-max-1mb.gif

THE DUCK

4J Studios modernized Perfect Dark's control scheme in 2010 while managing to keep all the original gameplay mechanics intact, so why can't Code Mystics? Nightdive Studios is able to release old N64 and PC titles on modern platforms in HD without introducing bizarre texture wobbling, so why can't Code Mystics?

It's not like I'm asking for 60FPS or updated textures or even online multiplayer. This is bare minimum stuff. For passive players I'm sure it's good enough though.

Go back and play the game on an n64 for 2 minutes and you will see this is the far superior experience, regardless of your over excessive nit picking. Wtf is a passive player? Anyone who isn't ridiculously picky like you?

AngelMuffin

Makes sense.

Personally, I collect games. Buy them dirt cheap physically, buy then digitally so me and my gf only needs one copy to play at the same time.

I like having a collection, even if it's digital. I usually never replay games, but I only buys games on heavy sales.
Yeah, there are some other benefits now that I’m thinking of it. My son and I share some games digitally on the PS5. I have a vintage game collection, but just haven’t felt the same way about collecting modern games. Guess there’s just no nostalgia.

SCReuter

Go back and play the game on an n64 for 2 minutes and you will see this is the far superior experience, regardless of your over excessive nit picking. Wtf is a passive player? Anyone who isn't ridiculously picky like you?
Dude, stop taking this personally. I expect more from a company that specializes in retro re-releases. They can do better than this. Don't bother responding if you're going to get bent out of shape.

John Linneman and others are pointing out the same issues on Twitter. It's what the whole thread is about.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Dude, stop taking this personally. I expect more from a company that specializes in retro re-releases. They can do better than this. Don't bother responding if you're going to get bent out of shape.

Your the one basically saying anyone who likes what has been delivered a "passive" player, which is reduculous.
You can expect more but you really have no idea what the timing, budget, or constraints the company had on it. Maybe just enjoy the game, or don't play it. Probably spent more time on here complaining than actually playing it.

Pointing out that the pickiest person alive found an issue isn't exactly helping your point.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
The remake that hit the Internet least year was built from the from ground up with proper 60fps code from source and people are playing it on xlink kai, shits wild 😆
It is/was also being updated by a community of fans. This release really summarizes the absolute disdain these corporations have for their fans and back catalogues. This is why I have zero issues with emulation.

Deerock71

You literally do not own the air of a digital copy, as opposed to a physical copy, so for those of us that like to actually possess what we purchase, it is literally not subjective.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You literally do not own the air of a digital copy, as opposed to a physical copy, so for those of us that like to actually possess what we purchase, it is literally not subjective.
Neither works as absolutely as you present it. Physical copies of World of Warcraft (and countless other games, not just MMOs, that are primarily online playable) don't offer you anything vs digital. Digital DRM-Free copies like from gog.com offer you some things a physical copy can't since you can easily copy/back them up/put them in any kind of format you want, online, cloud, printed in physical media which just hold digital data whethere they're round discs, or HDD, SSD, SD, or whatever, save for being able to legally transfer their licence to someone else (ie sell it). So it's not cut and dry.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Neither works as absolutely as you present it. Physical copies of World of Warcraft (and countless other games, not just MMOs, that are primarily online playable) don't offer you anything vs digital. Digital DRM-Free copies like from gog.com offer you some things a physical copy can't since you can easily copy/back them up/put them in any kind of format you want, online, cloud, printed in physical media which just hold digital data whethere they're round discs, or HDD, SSD, SD, or whatever, save for being able to legally transfer their licence to someone else (ie sell it). So it's not cut and dry.
I use gog.com quite frequently.

That’s a load of shite. Never once in the n64 game (which I got on release as a kid), did I have an a enemy sidestep inside a wall so I couldn’t shoot him, but leave his gun sticking out to shoot and kill me. No, it wasn’t perfect back then, and it had the odd glitch on the lights, but nothing so egregious.

I’m so tired of being showered in horse piss by developers and publishers and being told it’s rain.
I actually had that a lot on N64.

cireza

They are pretty competent however I find some of their reasons a bit ridiculous.

For example about the Neo Geo Pocket games on Switch, I had suggested in their forum to fix the AI in the KOF game as it waits for like 5 seconds before starting to fight (beginning of the round), which could be fixable I believe. You have to debug the game and try to understand what is happening, not trivial, but honestly for profesionnals payed full-time ? Not impossible. This is rom-hacking territory, and maybe fixable with a patch. At least it deserves to be checked.

Their answer was that they had to make the experience as authentic as possible, thus they would not look into it.

Then why did they patch Snk vs Capcom so that you can unlock the characters faster ? Maybe try to be a bit more consistent...

Not every developer can be M2.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I mean this is literally all Nintendo's fault.

You have a perfect, upgraded port made by the original developer where you can flip graphics from remastered to original just sitting there for over a bloody decade, with two out of three key parties, Activision and Microsoft, happy with it, and still Nintendo has to fuck it up.

I mean look at that remaster. All the problems this version has were already resolved 10 years ago, yet they've been resurrected due to completely arbitrary decision making by Nintendo. And even the N64 ROM running through Retroarch on the Series X doesn't have these issues lol.

They're a bunch backward buffoons.

Nintendo is under no obligation to make life easier for Microsoft and Xbox players. Quite frankly, it’s a miracle that Goldeneye was ever reissued at all. By all rights, it should be sitting in a dark ET pit of legal hell until doomsday.

Killer8

It's silly to excuse performance and graphical issues as 'authentic'. The game is rendering in 4K and with a different control scheme from the N64 original, so on the sliding scale of authenticity it's already made significant changes. Why can't meeting a basic performance target be one of them?

Raven77

I actually like this. It's like leaving the fog in Turok, of you remove it the game just looks terrible and loses its feel.

Top Bottom