• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CoD: Warzone and Rocket League Would Require a Native Port for 120fps on PS5

ManaByte

Gold Member

Warzone, which comes up as a PS4 app when it's downloaded on PS5, does not boot in 120Hz, and there are no in-game menu functions to enable it. Activision declined to comment when contacted by Eurogamer, leaving us to assume the reason for this difference had to do with the way Sony handles backwards compatibility. At the time, I speculated that Infinity Ward would have to create a full PS5 port of Warzone in order to enable 120fps on the console.

Now, we have evidence to suggest that line of thinking is correct. Rocket League is in a similar boat to Warzone: the hugely popular football driving game has been updated to run at 120fps on Xbox Series X, but not on PS5. Why?

Developer Psyonix told Eurogamer there were a few reasons for the decision, and pointed out enabling 120fps on PS5 "requires a full native port", whereas it's just a "minor patch" on Xbox Series X and S.

"Our team's main focus this year was our recent free to play transition and updating major features like our Tournaments system," Psyonix said.

"Due to this we had to make tough decisions on what else we could achieve. Enabling 120hz on Xbox Series X|S is a minor patch, but enabling it on PS5 requires a full native port due to how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console, and unfortunately wasn't possible due to our focus elsewhere."

So this explains why Activision patched Warzone on XSX but not PS5.

But DF says it COULD happen in the future with a patch; if Sony puts in the work to allow it:
"Theoretically it should be possible for Sony to adjust this (PSVR games can run at 1080p resolution at up to 120Hz) but it will require a fair degree of work - and I guess the question is whether engineering resources focused on PS5 could be redirected to PS4 instead. It really does seem like the ball is in Sony's court on this one."

Last edited:
I get the feeling that BC was added to the PS5 at the last minute, due to backlash from early rumours.

Nah - it's same thing they did with PS4 Pro - just match the console architecture to basic ps4 so the games can be made running with as low effort as possible.

FranXico

I see this as a positive. It funnels devs into taking proper advantage of PS5. Fast loading, Dualsense, further gfx enhancements.

Otherwise you can forget any next gen versions for longer than needed.

Necessity is the mother of all invention.
It's due to how BC works.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ps5 has no limits. But some 3rd party games do

Zlbv.gif

Fbh

That's a shame.
For Rocket League in particular considering how their success story started on ps4. Hopefully Epic/Psyonix do end up making a native port at some point.

sircaw

Banned
Ps5 has no limits. But some 3rd party games do

Take that back you dirty Xbox shill mod user, I have no idea what i am replying to or what the meat and the potatoes are to this argument. "lollipop_disappointed:

but i have been summoned. It's geordiemp geordiemp fault, if you need to ban someone start with him.

As for you, soap in the showers, prison-style i might add :messenger_grimmacing_ , you will not abuse your authority against what is "The Glorious week of Sony and the ps5"

Mod of War Mod of War , this inferior mod hates bugsnax, its time for you to deal with him, do what you do best.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I get the feeling that BC was added to the PS5 at the last minute, due to backlash from early rumours.

Nope. They just care less about BC when compared to MS. Sony is treating BC similarity to how it's always been viewed. It's MS that's taking BC to the next level and that's fine. Just don't expect Sony to care about BC as much as MS.

geordiemp

Take that back you dirty Xbox shill mod user, I have no idea what i am replying to or what the meat and the potatoes are to this argument. "lollipop_disappointed:

but i have been summoned. It's geordiemp geordiemp fault, if you need to ban someone start with him.

As for you soap in the showers, prison-style i might add :messenger_grimmacing_ , you will not abuse your authority against what is "The Glorious week of Sony and the ps5"

Mod of War Mod of War , this inferior mod hates bugsnax, its time for you to deal with him, do what you do best.

Oh god what have I done, I summoned the devil

I like how people post this stuff as if the ps5 isnt gonna get completely wrecked on a regular basis once devs get used to the tools.
It's not even that, these things happen for a second or two at best so they screenshot them as if they are some ultimate proof that their favourite console is better

giphy.gif

Vaztu

As for you soap in the showers, prison-style i might add :messenger_grimmacing_ , you will not abuse your authority against what is "The Glorious week of Sony and the ps5"

giphy.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member
“Backward compatibility was handled masterfully by AMD. They treated it as a key need throughout the design process”

Last edited:

John Wick

MS have implemented a more of software emulation for BC and there for is more robust and better. Also easier to patch as well. PS5 just mimics PS4 and Pro in its modes.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

They literally designed the system (APU) around HW BC, how could they do that last minute? And of course you need a PS5 version, there is no 120Hz PS4 mode, so it cannot emulate it.

Shmunter

They literally designed the system (APU) around HW BC, how could they do that last minute? And of course you need a PS5 version, there is no 120Hz PS4 mode, so it cannot emulate it.
They could do a 120 mode, console already does this for PSVR. Personally I hope they don’t bend over and Retrofit it into flat BC, instead encouraging devs to move their nextngen priorities closer.

Top Bottom