• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN | Forget PS5: Xbox Game Pass is the best gaming gift of the holidays

Pallas

Spoken like someone who wasn’t able to get a PS5.
They aren’t alone, that someone is a lot of people who couldn’t get it.

Gamepass is rightfully so a good gift, not the ultimate gaming gift, but arguably the best readily available gaming gift.

Still this is from CNN, I’d treat it the same as Forbes, not a very good source of gaming news.

MrFunSocks

Banned
No one is entering if Microsoft leaves unless you like streaming services. No one will spend billions on a market where Nintendo and Microsoft failed. Microsoft was willing to sell the division no one wanted it to go against Sony.
Wait when did nintendo fail? This is news to me. The switch is going to overtake the PS4 sales wise soon. It'll probably outsell the PS5 too lol.

I agree with you though - if MS pull out of gaming, which they won't thankfully, no one else is stupid enough to go in unless they were to literally buy up all the other publishers like EA, Activision, Blizzard, Ubisoft, etc.

Last edited:
Wait when did nintendo fail? This is news to me. The switch is going to overtake the PS4 sales wise soon. It'll probably outsell the PS5 too lol.

I agree with you though - if MS pull out of gaming, which they won't thankfully, no one else is stupid enough to go in unless they were to literally buy up all the other publishers like EA, Activision, Blizzard, Ubisoft, etc.

What does soon mean? it's like at half the units sold worldwide lol

quest

Not Banned from OT

They left the home console market for the hand held market. Smart move but they failed in the home console game. They are now getting rich in a market they are great at and have to themselves.

IIRC, Nintendo is more profitable than Playstation anyway. This is with a much smaller install base of consoles lmao.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
What does that mean?

The PS4 wasn't at 110mil by 3.5 years after release.
PS4 is at over 112 million as of 3 weeks ago. So, my question remains what does "soon" mean? If PS4 stopped selling entirely how fast do people expect Switch to sell 44 million more units?
Switch is ahead of PS4 by over 5 million in same time period...which hypothetically would make switch at 117 million if pace keeps up...
Who knows where the PS4 stops selling though...it sales will nosedive shortly...

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Yeah but this doesn't sound like "soon" but I guess I'm just being pedantic.
It's actually not that soon, maybe 1-2 years tops. I'm thinking around late 2022.

What does that mean?

The PS4 wasn't at 110mil by 3.5 years after release.
Launch wise Switch had already passed PS4. I just added that a holiday season behind for Nintendo would mean whole lot more than just 5 millions ahead of PS4.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Miles Morales is you playing as a different char in the same game with some new missions for 8 hours, it's DLC. CoD games are glorified roster updates. I don't care about defending Gamepass, I hate it because all the best stuff is only on console and who wants to buy a shitty XBOX console right now? Not me. Destiny Beyond Light adds an entire new location, raid, strikes, new modes like empire hunts, new guns, new gear and continues to add new content on a weekly basis. It's one of the best arguments for Gamepass right now because Destiny 2 represents the potential for hundreds of hours of play time, but it's not PC Gamepass so it can eat my taint.
That doesn't make it a new game. it's DLC, no different than Miles Morales.

What's the difference. New characters, new combat system, new story, new missions.

If anything, Miles Morales is more of a "new game| than last Light, as Miles Morales doesn't require an old build of Destiny 2 to work.

Game Pass gets new games. Every single MS first party game is there day 1. Many other games release there day 1. Many games get there a few months after release, hardly "old". Most people haven't played every single game that has ever released either.
If you are playing a game on gamepass that I played previously on any other platform months before, you are playing an old game.

That's just the reality of the service you choose to buy. It's mostly old games you can get elsewhere. That's fine, but it is what it is

Last edited:
That doesn't make it a new game. it's DLC, no different than Miles Morales.

What's the difference. No characters, no combat system, new story, new missions.

If anything, Miles Morales is more of a "new game| than last Light, as Miles Morales doesn't require an old build of Destiny 2 to work.

If you are playing a game on gamepass that I played previously on any other platform months before, you are playing an old game.

That's just the reality of the service you choose to buy. It's mostly old games you can get elsewhere. That's fine, but it is what it is

Um... it does have new characters and a new combat system, though. Unless you meant to write new instead of no? I'm not sure what this old build means, you know they changed the engine a lot for Beyond Light and made people re-download the game, right?

oagboghi2

Um... it does have new characters and a new combat system, though. Unless you meant to write new instead of no? I'm not sure what this old build means, you know they changed the engine a lot for Beyond Light and made people re-download the game, right?
changing an engine, or to be more accurate building upon an old engine, doesn't make an old game new. As I said before, do you consider World of Warcraft a new game after every update? Do you consider Division 2 after it's updates a "new game"

Last edited:
changing an engine, or to be more accurate building upon an old engine, doesn't make an old game new. As I said before, do you consider World of Warcraft a new game after every update? Do you consider Division 2 after it\s updates a "new game"

Doesn't WoW change so much over time that they re-released it's original form for people who wanted to return to it?

Chukhopops

PS Now is not available in every territory. Its not available here in NZ. I would subscribe day 1 if it was available. I've said so in previous posts. So imagine the numbers Sony is missing out on right now.
It has nothing to do with the issues listed:

The post you responded to listed the following regarding PS Now:
- Fewer good games (what the fuck does this mean?)
- More shit games (again, what the fuck does this mean?)
- A higher ratio of old games (sigh, what the fuck does this mean ?)
- Streaming for PS3 games, which are 56% of the good (80+MC) games (Yet again, what the fuck does this even mean? especially the bolded)

Isn't the whole deal of these services to provide VALUE to the customer? As in you get to play all old games (or most of them) regardless of their Metacritic scores? So why is Metacritic brought into the discussion to downplay a service? Why should I expect Sony and MS to only allow (+90 Metacritic score games on their services).

So yeah, trying to dunk on a service with the above points is a monumental fail. Sure, I can say half of GamePass games is 'more shit games' but that wouldn't make any sense if I'm trying to build an argument.
The numbers are literally a couple posts above on the same page, I think you’re not even trying at this post. I was bringing up the quality of the games as a response to how GP is full of old shit games when actually PSNow is worse for that in every aspect.

scalman

All so happy for game pass. I dont see where so big deal is? Am i missing something? Allready bought most older games in deals/sales that i needed so i have those games, and for couple new games that will appear in game pass? Those will be cheaper to just buy and play still. Why pay monthly more?

Agent X

I don't know if this psnowguide website is up to date, for example it says "Way of the Samurai 4" is on PSNow but when you go on the official website it's not there, and it seems it's been removed for a long time now. Same for "Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime" (what kind of game is that) and a few others.

I just opened the PS Now client on my PC to check, and both of those games are still available.

oagboghi2

Doesn't WoW change so much over time that they re-released it's original form for people who wanted to return to it?
Your point? That doesn't make World of Warcraft a new game. That just means people are nostalgic for previous builds.

Also, I noticed you ignored the Division comparison.

Chukhopops

I just opened the PS Now client on my PC to check, and both of those games are still available.
I will check, install the client and see if it’s there for me or not. But for sure they are not on the official PSNow website if I google it or access it myself.

So it’s either different lists per region or the official website isn’t updated. Once I figure it out I’ll run the script again.

Your point? That doesn't make World of Warcraft a new game. That just means people are nostalgic for previous builds.

Also, I noticed you ignored the Division comparison.

The DLCs for games like Destiny and WoW are the size of new games and often replace prior content. I ignored the Division comparison because I'm not familiar enough with their model for comment.

Barakov

In a year dominated by excitement around new hardware, Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass service has steadily and quietly cemented itself as the ultimate value in gaming. It’s the best attempt yet at a true Netflix for video games, and now that you don’t even need a console or PC to enjoy it, Game Pass is the perfect holiday gift for just about any type of gamer.

Xbox Game Pass has long been one of the best values in gaming, and it’s only gotten better now that you can enjoy it on a wide range of devices — including your phone. Whether the gamer in your life is just starting to dip their toes in or has a fancy PC rig, an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription is a no-brainer gift that will give them access to a ton of great games for a low price.
CNN?

trHZnzI.gif

Arun1910

Then "Does not interest me" is "old" or "shit"? Not sure I get it.
You don't get it because you're only thinking of 4 games. 2 are old to me, 2 do not interest me, and there is plenty of crap in the game pass too.

JLB

Banned
You don't get it because you're only thinking of 4 games. 2 are old to me, 2 do not interest me, and there is plenty of crap in the game pass too.

You explicitly said that all Gamepass games are “shit” or “old”. So let me ask you again: Which category corresponds to Ori 2?
And I took the first four games that came to my mind, I guess that Doom Eternal is also old or shit, right?

edbrat

When I was younger and played more games game pass might have worked but it's irrelevant to me these days, happy to buy the handful of games I play annually and I'm not that hot on Xbox studio output. Great it works for some people tho, be interesting to see if it appeals much outside the core Xbox audience and actually grows it, as opposed to deepening their existing fans' devotion which it's obviously very good at.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
CNN (Clinton News Network) AKA the Democratic Party mouthpiece never ceases to amaze me. They should stay out of gaming and out of news too, since they don’t report anything remotely accurate these days. 🙃

Top Bottom