• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN | Forget PS5: Xbox Game Pass is the best gaming gift of the holidays

Agent X

As for PSNow, I don't think it's bad personally but you just don't get any Day 1 release whatsoever, be it first party or indie. So the "old games" argument applies even more there. PSNow also has a much higher ratio of PS3 to PS4 games compared to GamePass.

It ought to. As far as I know, Xbox Game Pass doesn't have any PS3 or PS4 games! :messenger_winking:

If your point was that there are more games from older platforms on PS Now...according to PS Now Guide, as I write this today (December 6, 2020) there are currently 384 PS4 games, 447 PS3 games, and 21 PS2 games. The ratio is actually closer than I thought. The reason for the relatively large number of PS3 games is that the service contained only PS3 games until mid 2017, when they began adding PS4 and PS2 games.

Personally speaking, I wish they would bring more PS3 and (especially) PS2 games to PS Now. They haven't added any new games from those platforms since September 2019.

If this was about PS Now, the article would actually mention Gamepass at some point. Instead whilst PS Plus is mentioned, Now never is. I guess when you're promoting a service with about 200 games on it as the best bargain, bringing up the 600+ game competition might cast an unwelcome shadow.

Good point. PS Now is the analogous counterpart to Xbox Game Pass, while PS Plus is the counterpart to Xbox Live Gold.

On top of that, the author might feel obligated to mention that PS Now does not require an additional subscription to play online multiplayer for its games, unlike Xbox Game Pass.

pasterpl

It ought to. As far as I know, Xbox Game Pass doesn't have any PS3 or PS4 games! :messenger_winking:

If your point was that there are more games from older platforms on PS Now...according to PS Now Guide, as I write this today (December 6, 2020) there are currently 384 PS4 games, 447 PS3 games, and 21 PS2 games. The ratio is actually closer than I thought. The reason for the relatively large number of PS3 games is that the service contained only PS3 games until mid 2017, when they began adding PS4 and PS2 games.

Personally speaking, I wish they would bring more PS3 and (especially) PS2 games to PS Now. They haven't added any new games from those platforms since September 2019.

Good point. PS Now is the analogous counterpart to Xbox Game Pass, while PS Plus is the counterpart to Xbox Live Gold.

On top of that, the author might feel obligated to mention that PS Now does not require an additional subscription to play online multiplayer for its games, unlike Xbox Game Pass.

I think that gold is included in gp, so you don’t need to pay extra to pay online

JLB

Banned
1 and 4 are old, as I said "for me". I bought Control on release and I played Jedi Fallen Order on Origin Access.

Ori 2 does not interest me and neither does flying a plane around.

Then "Does not interest me" is "old" or "shit"? Not sure I get it.

Agent X

I think that gold is included in gp, so you don’t need to pay extra to pay online

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain that the basic level Xbox Game Pass doesn't include online play, and that you need to either buy Xbox Live Gold, or get both subscriptions combined in the form of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Even the CNN article (which this thread is about) says you need to step up to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate if you want the online benefits of Xbox Live Gold.

MrFunSocks

Banned
This thread, like the "do people actually want a new COD every year?", should be shown to anyone that thinks that GAF has any idea of what the general public actually like or want.

Game Pass is ridiculously good value. Game Pass Ultimate now including EA Play is just bonkers.

What most of you guys think is the complete opposite of what the general public thinks.

anothertech

There are actual numbers posted literally two posts above yours, can you read?

As for the decent games released this year on GamePass, I"ll give you three:

- Flight Simulator (sometimes referred to as Google Maps), 91 MC
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps, 90 MC
- Wasteland 3, 85 MC

I'll save you the trouble of saying they don't count for some reason.
Actually your numbers are way the fuck off. It's closer to 900, so 3:1 stands.

lol

oagboghi2

This thread, like the "do people actually want a new COD every year?", should be shown to anyone that thinks that GAF has any idea of what the general public actually like or want.

Game Pass is ridiculously good value. Game Pass Ultimate now including EA Play is just bonkers.

What most of you guys think is the complete opposite of what the general public thinks.
The general audience seems to be more concerned with finding PS5 to buy, not subscribing to game pass to play forza on their phone

Chukhopops

Actually your numbers are way the fuck off. It's closer to 900, so 3:1 stands.

lol
Send me a link to the list where you see 900 games, because I actually counted them and I made a list. If there are differences I can update the list, no problem.

Anyway, it's time to put an end to this whole discussion. I made a quick script to fetch the MC score of all PSNow games and would you believe me if I told you that despite having more games total by a significant margin, PSNow actually has fewer 80+ Metacritic games than GamePass? That's right, as of end of last month GP had 170 80+ games while PSNow had 147.

ReDLcDV.jpg

2EXtUYm.jpg

It turns out though that the percentage of crap games (below 70 MC) is 2.6 times higher on PSNow. 37% of PSNow games are below 70, to which you can add 7.77% of non-rated games.

So as a conclusion, PSNow has:
- Fewer good games
- More shit games
- A higher ratio of old games
- Streaming for PS3 games, which are 56% of the good (80+MC) games

Thank you, and good night.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Send me a link to the list where you see 900 games, because I actually counted them and I made a list. If there are differences I can update the list, no problem.

Anyway, it's time to put an end to this whole discussion. I made a quick script to fetch the MC score of all PSNow games and would you believe me if I told you that despite having more games total by a significant margin, PSNow actually has fewer 80+ Metacritic games than GamePass? That's right, as of end of last month GP had 170 80+ games while PSNow had 147.

ReDLcDV.jpg

2EXtUYm.jpg

It turns out though that the percentage of crap games (below 70 MC) is 2.6 times higher on PSNow. 37% of PSNow games are below 70, to which you can add 7.77% of non-rated games.

- fewer good games
- more shit games
- a higher ratio of old games
- streaming

Not to mention that all the PS3 games on PSNow are streaming only, so irrelevant for most people.

ReDLcDV.jpg

2EXtUYm.jpg

- fewer good games
- more shit games
- a higher ratio of old games
- streaming

Your not doing it right. Sony only gets praise round ere. No positive xbox/gamepass comments please

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Yeah, it still has a free to play component but most of what free to play players used to have access to is gone, but there are new things they get access to. They removed 4 planets worth of content and even though Nessus stayed they took away its raids and Menagerie. Most of what you'd be doing is new content.
Most, but not all, and that doesn't change the fact that the new stuff is DLC. The game isn't new, the dlc.

I could upgrade to Last Light tonight, that doesn't make my copy of Destiny 2 a "new game" ala Cod Of Duty Cold War, or Miles Morales. It's a ridiculously stupid argument, that you would never make if it wasn't for your desire to defend gamepass.

oagboghi2

When I moved from PS after almost 2 decades and entered into the Xbox ecosystem (well I had a 360 for their brief JRPG foray), I had literally a console plus Gamepass and that's it; each was as "valuable" as the other. Nothing else transferred. Not even my ESO account as that game isn't cross platform.

We'd likely agree that a system is nothing without games, and GP provides a consistent and steady diet of those. Anyone who is being honest would admit that there is worth in having an entire library for $15/m and it's tiresome watching people trot out the same limpid arguments, which just boil down to "it's not valuable/ worth it/ useful to me." Considering it's the most successful and ubiquitous streaming/ subscription of its kind its value and the percentage of those who find it essential vs those that don't should be indisputable at this point. As valuable as owning a system, since again, you get an entire library that's refreshed throughout the year for a measly monthly charge.
A library of old games. Games that many people don't care about or have already beaten.

As I've said 3 times already. I never said it had zero value. It has less value than buying a new console which will be coming out with new games, many of which won't be on the service, because at the end of the day, it's just a subscription service. Not a new platform

MrFunSocks

Banned
A library of old games. Games that many people don't care about or have already beaten.

As I've said 3 times already. I never said it had zero value. It has less value than buying a new console which will be coming out with new games, many of which won't be on the service, because at the end of the day, it's just a subscription service. Not a new platform
Game Pass gets new games. Every single MS first party game is there day 1. Many other games release there day 1. Many games get there a few months after release, hardly "old". Most people haven't played every single game that has ever released either.

MagnesG

Banned
PSNow have more frequent lags and stuttering every few mins sadly, Xcloud have less of that even on mobile. Both services using heavy reaction games.

Chukhopops

I don't know if this psnowguide website is up to date, for example it says "Way of the Samurai 4" is on PSNow but when you go on the official website it's not there, and it seems it's been removed for a long time now. Same for "Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime" (what kind of game is that) and a few others.

Now it could be that it's only available on some regions only, if that's the case and if there is a full list somewhere I can update my list. I really don't think it will make a difference in the overall stats though.

These are some weak arguments made by someone that doesn't know what it offers. Im making an assumption that you haven't tried it.

Games stay on it for months. They also net you a bigger discount if you want the full game. Majority of games on there are less then 20 hours.

The idea is having choice in playing something you like.nobody forces u to play all 384 games on the service.

Only 384 games? Weak sauce. PS Now has 650 games. Now that’s a value.

Most, but not all, and that doesn't change the fact that the new stuff is DLC. The game isn't new, the dlc.

I could upgrade to Last Light tonight, that doesn't make my copy of Destiny 2 a "new game" ala Cod Of Duty Cold War, or Miles Morales. It's a ridiculously stupid argument, that you would never make if it wasn't for your desire to defend gamepass.

Miles Morales is you playing as a different char in the same game with some new missions for 8 hours, it's DLC. CoD games are glorified roster updates. I don't care about defending Gamepass, I hate it because all the best stuff is only on console and who wants to buy a shitty XBOX console right now? Not me. Destiny Beyond Light adds an entire new location, raid, strikes, new modes like empire hunts, new guns, new gear and continues to add new content on a weekly basis. It's one of the best arguments for Gamepass right now because Destiny 2 represents the potential for hundreds of hours of play time, but it's not PC Gamepass so it can eat my taint.

Game pass is a great service but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves the service means nothing if ms output continues to be sparse ... It is good value but it's not setting the gaming world on fire as a must have service or stealing gamers from Sony's camp in the 1000's

Game pass has been awesome so far. Playing Alan Awake and Gears tactics currently. Just finished nier automata and Doom eternal.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Game pass is a great service but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves the service means nothing if ms output continues to be sparse ... It is good value but it's not setting the gaming world on fire as a must have service or stealing gamers from Sony's camp in the 1000's
They are not going to steal Sony gamers. They are thankfully not trying to be a sad second rate knock off. Sony will still have the third person adventure genera covered with the best games. Microsoft is going after diversity and other areas Sony is neglecting. They are attempting to grow the market to get customers.

They are not going to steal Sony gamers. They are thankfully not trying to be a sad second rate knock off. Sony will still have the third person adventure genera covered with the best games. Microsoft is going after diversity and other areas Sony is neglecting. They are attempting to grow the market to get customers.

Don't kid yourself the target is to absolutely kill sony off as is the same with any other rival in any business ever the aim is to be no 1 not just a good alternative to Sony .

quest

Not Banned from OT
Don't kid yourself the target is to absolutely kill sony off as is the same with any other rival in any business ever the aim is to be no 1 not just a good alternative to Sony .
Yes because they are out there on money hat tours to content starve Sony. They could buy EA and put the playstation out of business with no madden and fifa. Microsoft game division at this point is hoping to do well enough not to be shutdown. The only monopoly seekers are Ryan and Sony.

Yes because they are out there on money hat tours to content starve Sony. They could buy EA and put the playstation out of business with no madden and fifa. Microsoft game division at this point is hoping to do well enough not to be shutdown. The only monopoly seekers are Ryan and Sony.

It's not Sony's problem ms can't catch a break in the gaming biz maybe it's not for them after all .

CNN trying to push those subscription numbers.... shameless rag.

Holla when the Washington Post does the same. That will be the day we hit true objectivity :messenger_grinning_squinting:.

- Fewer good games
- More shit games
- A higher ratio of old games
- Streaming for PS3 games, which are 56% of the good (80+MC) games

I always wondered why PSNow has relatively few users. Seeing it layed out like that is enlightening ngl.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm so excited for years old games and gaas. That's the true next gen experience. Playing games from the previous gen.
You mean like a souls remaster lol?

It's not Sony's problem ms can't catch a break in the gaming biz maybe it's not for them after all .

The only ones who win if Microsoft leaves is Sony shareholders. No competition will lead to worse prices and products. I know so many here would love to see a Sony seal of approval to be sure games had certain political POV lol.

You mean like a souls remaster lol?

The only ones who win if Microsoft leaves is Sony shareholders. No competition will lead to worse prices and products. I know so many here would love to see a Sony seal of approval to be sure games had certain political POV lol.

it's not my fault ms don't know there arse from there elbow if anything Sony deserve better compo than ms I think Nintendo should enter the fray with a high end console to compete Sony If ms can't somebody will .

quest

Not Banned from OT
it's not my fault ms don't know there arse from there elbow if anything Sony deserve better compo than ms I think Nintendo should enter the fray with a high end console to compete Sony If ms can't somebody will .
No one is entering if Microsoft leaves unless you like streaming services. No one will spend billions on a market where Nintendo and Microsoft failed. Microsoft was willing to sell the division no one wanted it to go against Sony.

I always wondered why PSNow has relatively few users. Seeing it layed out like that is enlightening ngl.
PS Now is not available in every territory. Its not available here in NZ. I would subscribe day 1 if it was available. I've said so in previous posts. So imagine the numbers Sony is missing out on right now.
It has nothing to do with the issues listed:

The post you responded to listed the following regarding PS Now:
- Fewer good games (what the fuck does this mean?)
- More shit games (again, what the fuck does this mean?)
- A higher ratio of old games (sigh, what the fuck does this mean ?)
- Streaming for PS3 games, which are 56% of the good (80+MC) games (Yet again, what the fuck does this even mean? especially the bolded)

Isn't the whole deal of these services to provide VALUE to the customer? As in you get to play all old games (or most of them) regardless of their Metacritic scores? So why is Metacritic brought into the discussion to downplay a service? Why should I expect Sony and MS to only allow (+90 Metacritic score games on their services).

So yeah, trying to dunk on a service with the above points is a monumental fail. Sure, I can say half of GamePass games is 'more shit games' but that wouldn't make any sense if I'm trying to build an argument.

Last edited:
Top Bottom