• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN | Forget PS5: Xbox Game Pass is the best gaming gift of the holidays

SynTha1

Why even click on Xbox threads? You're obviously one who will never come around to accepting them with a post like this. Sad.
Come around to what giving my money to a company that tells lie upon lie for years cause all they want to do is fuck up this industry and take total control like they did with pc and windows. No thanks just cause u are ok with their bs thats good for u and happy gaming but if the day ever comes where its Microsoft or nothing then thats the day I quit gaming for good.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Yikes, not that I don't love and support XGP, I don't need bunch of brain wanking left amatuers tell me what I see for the values as a gamer, stay in your bubble.

xacto

Yes because God forbid anyone have an opinion on the PS5 other than it's a gift to humanity. What a bunch of shills!

Everyone should just listen to the Sony Marketing Team on these forums.

God forbid people should think Gamepass is not a God's given. See how that works both ways?

We agree to disagree, it's that simple. Calling people shills just because they don't agree with your opinions is quite pedestrian, but feel free.

Iorv3th

Many people, including myself, have no choice but to forget PS5 this Christmas because there's none available. :messenger_pouting:

Oh you wont forget it. You will be lurking for those Now in Stock posts or tweets and clicking on them like crazy only to realize your seconds, minutes, sometimes hours late.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like Xbox, but I find their methods a bit tacky. They leave out the amazing remake of Demon’s Souls and they’re solely focusing on western games. “Try this game box because it has all these games”. Sure CNN. Take all the excitement away from the titles I’d rather spend money on than get in some large package deal.

I can’t relate to this subscription based gaming. I’ve already purchased the games you get with Plus on PS5. I didn’t wait for it to come to a subscription based service.

I think parents and people who don’t care like GamePass because its basically scrolling through a list of games to play. You aren’t worried about a particular developer or the next big title in a franchise. Even on Xbox, id rather buy the games or have already bought the games on game pass. A lot of them I finished years ago. It isn’t a very good deal for me.

Chukhopops

If this was about PS Now, the article would actually mention Gamepass at some point. Instead whilst PS Plus is mentioned, Now never is. I guess when you're promoting a service with about 200 games on it as the best bargain, bringing up the 600+ game competition might cast an unwelcome shadow.
You need to update your bad takes, there's almost double that amount today lol.
I don't even want to waste my time downloading Flight Simulator. There's google maps for that.
Holy moly now THAT's a take you don't see everyday.

Keihart

So CNN it's gonna perpetuate the "Xbox is the gift for out of touch parents "

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
I like owning my games and Steam sales get them all to a low pricepoint eventually where it becomes worth it to own. $9.99/month is $120 a year. That's a lot of steam sales games that you could otherwise own and play whenever you want.

It may have value in paying $9.99 a month to one and done some new games that I won't care to ever own but that's just exploiting the differential between paying $70-$80 for a game you can complete in a week or two for $9.99.

I'm not sure how that math is sustainable for content producers but if Microsoft wants to cover the $60-$70/game sold then thats not my problem.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I would contend that with the odd exception, the vast majority of people who badmouth gamepass either don't own an xbox or have never tried it for any reasonable length of time.
Or maybe they just don't buy or play games.

There isn't a single thing that has come close
To saving me money over the past year than gamepass, its an exceptional value.
I'm really hoping sony ends up doing something similar, the ps plus collection is a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

Resenge

If i receveid a gift like that, i would be pissed
You completely missed his point, what if you had no Xbox or capable pc?

Not everyone does clearly and even if you did. Turning down a brand new ps5 for a year "subscription" wouldn't be the smartest choice in my book.

Mf think that subscription is for a lifetime and that you will be able to buy it and play anything and that is not true.

If someone gifted me a gamepass sub and said "I was going to give you a PS5 at first but CNN said gamepass is the best gift of the holidays so I did that instead" yeah I would be extremely pissed.

There are some entitled people on this forum. If someone gives you a gift you should be thankfull jesus, you are not owed anything and whatever someone gets you with their money is their call not yours. If you want a ps5 go buy one with your money.

Last edited:

oldergamer

“There’s levels to this” lol, you’re no better than anyone else.

And clearly you don’t understand how tech “journalism” works, and certainly haven’t read the “article” itself as it reads like promotional material. There’s nothing in it aside from what is quite clearly a tutorial on how to subscribe to Gamepass.

No effort put into it at all, and without PS5 in the title it would literally be an ad. The premise doesn’t even make sense. It’s embarrassing that this was written by a so called journalist, but that’s how this side of journalism works.
There are levels or degrees to anything. its not only black or white.

Oh so now I don't understand how journalism works. I have a high suspicion that you are the one that doesn't know how it works. how about you ask the author then? Instead of hiding behind a computer ( warrior style ) how about you email the person and accuse them of something instead? Pretty sure he would rip a shred off you in reply.

You don't know how journalism works, so don't pretend to explain it people. This btw is the "level" i was referring too. If I'm a level 6 system warrior, you are a level 12. When you start to frame everything as conspiratorial bullshit, just because of a article, that puts things on another level. How about ask him why he didn't mention PSnow? oh I guess that would be too easy.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I like Xbox, but I find their methods a bit tacky. They leave out the amazing remake of Demon’s Souls and they’re solely focusing on western games. “Try this game box because it has all these games”. Sure CNN. Take all the excitement away from the titles I’d rather spend money on than get in some large package deal.

I can’t relate to this subscription based gaming. I’ve already purchased the games you get with Plus on PS5. I didn’t wait for it to come to a subscription based service.

I think parents and people who don’t care like GamePass because its basically scrolling through a list of games to play. You aren’t worried about a particular developer or the next big title in a franchise. Even on Xbox, id rather buy the games or have already bought the games on game pass. A lot of them I finished years ago. It isn’t a very good deal for me.
Gamepass have like 350++ games.

FFXIV
DQ XI S
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza KIwami 2

I think that's good enough of recent notable Japanese games portfolio for 10$ a month.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Gamepass have like 350++ games.

FFXIV
DQ XI S
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza KIwami 2

I think that's good enough of notable Japanese portfolio for 10$ a month.

Yeah that is a good deal. I actually played Gears 5 before I got my code for the digital version. I ended up finishing it on GamePass for $2 or $3 during a trial. Those games are associated to another console for me at least. If I had to pick a console for Bloodborne or Demon’s Souls - I’ve already picked which console I was going to buy. I do agree with you, but I also see a bunch of stuff that I can’t get on GamePass. I could be happy with GamePass, but I’d feel like I wouldn’t be completely satisfied. The games market has a way of doing that though. They will always make another major announcement or something that flips a switch on and gets us super excited.

I would be happy with Game Pass until FFVII Part 2 or XVI comes out.

Last edited:

John Wick

In a year dominated by excitement around new hardware, Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass service has steadily and quietly cemented itself as the ultimate value in gaming. It’s the best attempt yet at a true Netflix for video games, and now that you don’t even need a console or PC to enjoy it, Game Pass is the perfect holiday gift for just about any type of gamer.

Xbox Game Pass has long been one of the best values in gaming, and it’s only gotten better now that you can enjoy it on a wide range of devices — including your phone. Whether the gamer in your life is just starting to dip their toes in or has a fancy PC rig, an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription is a no-brainer gift that will give them access to a ton of great games for a low price.
But will gamepass let all the kids play the latest NBA,Fifa,COD,Madden,Baseball etc?

oldergamer

But will gamepass let all the kids play the latest NBA,Fifa,COD,Madden,Baseball etc?
It gives you a 10 hour trial on all the new sports games from EA. Otherwise you can play last years sports titles. or gives a very good discount on the full games you want to purchase.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
You need to update your bad takes, there's almost double that amount today lol.
400 is still pretty poor compared to 600. My PS Now number was off too, btw; Service actually now has over 800 games.

"This article contains a paid advertisement."
Read the small print.
I don't see that exact message, but at the top, it does say:
"CNN Underscored is your guide to the everyday products and services that help you live a smarter, simpler and more fulfilling life. The content is created by CNN Underscored. CNN News staff is not involved. When you make a purchase, we receive revenue."

So yeah, to be clear, this is very much a promotional fluff piece.

After seeing his mother and father on the Xbox website a few weeks back, little Timmy is excited on Christmas morning, he runs down the stairs with a huge smile on his face thinking how he's going to be teabagging noobs on Call of Duty with his shiny new Xbox Series X.
He looks under the Christmas tree and notices only a small box. Confused as to how a Series X could fit into such a small box, he tears it open.
201202111436-xbox-game-pass-live-video.jpg

Merry Christmas, little Timmy.
Little Timmy:
1OXE.gif

oldergamer

400 is still pretty poor compared to 600. My PS Now number was off too, btw; Service actually now has over 800 games.

I don't see that exact message, but at the top, it does say:
"CNN Underscored is your guide to the everyday products and services that help you live a smarter, simpler and more fulfilling life. The content is created by CNN Underscored. CNN News staff is not involved. When you make a purchase, we receive revenue."

So yeah, to be clear, this is very much a promotional fluff piece.
They also say "While we still make sure they are items that fit our standards, they will be clearly labeled as sponsor posts ". so if it says that, then its paid.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
God forbid people should think Gamepass is not a God's given. See how that works both ways?

We agree to disagree, it's that simple. Calling people shills just because they don't agree with your opinions is quite pedestrian, but feel free.
You are living in fantasy land to think that the level of corporate fanatacism is the same on both sides. This whole forum is pedestrian.

I never called you a shill specifically, but they undeniably exist in extreme quantities on one specific side. Whether it's due to circumstances or not is irrelevant.

But whatever. We agree to disagree.

Arun1910

Control, Ori 2, MS Flight Simulator and Jedi Fallen Order would be in which category?

1 and 4 are old, as I said "for me". I bought Control on release and I played Jedi Fallen Order on Origin Access.

Ori 2 does not interest me and neither does flying a plane around.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Come around to what giving my money to a company that tells lie upon lie for years cause all they want to do is fuck up this industry and take total control like they did with pc and windows. No thanks just cause u are ok with their bs thats good for u and happy gaming but if the day ever comes where its Microsoft or nothing then thats the day I quit gaming for good.
Your to funny Sony has a history of content starving the competition. They backed Microsoft into a corner on zenimax by going after all their games they closed 2 and starfield was next. The Ryan money hat tour to content starve Microsoft so they would have a monopoly. So don't try the innocent Sony game they are the kings of money hats.

longdi

Banned
LTT seems to agree. His team is more mainstream than console gamers.
So there are more audience beyond CNN that sees value differently.

CNN is a globalist shill no shit they would pimp Bill Gates machine and their “you will own nothing and like it” great reset style subscription plan
You fanboys are too much. Every game on Game Pass can be purchased separately, at a discount. It’s an incredible value for the consumer. So many games I’d never have given a chance if they weren’t on Game Pass.

There are some entitled people on this forum. If someone gives you a gift you should be thankfull jesus, you are not owed anything and whatever someone gets you with their money is their call not yours. If you want a ps5 go buy one with your money.

This has nothing to do with entitlement. My response is framed within the context of this thread - that a GP sub is the best gaming gift this year, even better than a PS5. A GP sub is like what, $5/mo? PS5 is $500. PS5 also has far more utility than a GP sub and is a physical thing that has real world value. From an objective point of view, a GP sub is not a better gift than a PS5.

Its like saying a years worth of uber rides is a better gift than giving someone a new car.

I’m starting to hope Microsoft did actually mess up the Series X hardware (they didn’t) - because if they do pull ahead this will be the biggest mass suicide in cult history... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Always fun to see them fall over themselves to convince everyone GamePass isn’t an amazing deal (it is). Hopefully Sony find a way to compete with it as that would be great for everyone.

Resenge

This has nothing to do with entitlement. My response is framed within the context of this thread - that a GP sub is the best gaming gift this year, even better than a PS5. A GP sub is like what, $5/mo? PS5 is $500. PS5 also has far more utility than a GP sub and is a physical thing that has real world value. From an objective point of view, a GP sub is not a better gift than a PS5.

Its like saying a years worth of uber rides is a better gift than giving someone a new car.
If you were to buy it yourself and it was a bait and switch then you would have a point, but if its a good gift like this is, then you have no leg to stand on. You either appreciate the gift or you are an entitled ass. As I said before you are not owed a PS5 at all, it is a gift given by someone who was nice enough to spend money on it.

Last edited:
If you were to buy it yourself and it was a bait and switch then you would have a point, but if its a good gift like this is, then you have no leg to stand on. You either appreciate the gift or you are an entitled ass. As I said before you are not owed a PS5 at all, it is a gift given by someone who was nice enough to spend money on it.

You are going on a tangent that has nothing to do with the context of this thread. Gamepass is NOT the best gaming gift this holiday season.

Resenge

You are going on a tangent that has nothing to do with the context of this thread. Gamepass is NOT the best gaming gift this holiday season.
I didn't ever say it was? Let me clear this up for you plain and simple. I did not say Game Pass was the best thing ever, of course a PS5 is better than Game Pass. my original post was just a throwaway funny gif and you guys get all angsty over it.

My point is this, if you get pissed because someone doesn't give you the gift you want but its still a good gift then you have no right to be pissed.

Last edited:
Gamepass is really good value BUT...

Subscription service
New PlayStation 5 console

You ask or present these two above choices to anyone on the street. Which do you think the average Joe would go for?

Neofire

What are you talking about? Noone said anyone was "entitled" to anything. People are gauging which choice they would want over the other.

While we have that subject up, let's not be simple and live in this alternate reality where you can't dislike things. Of course if someone gave me either I would either accept it or not. Me personally I do not have any desire to have an "xbox ultimate pass".

You are making it seem like are hypothetically spitting in people's faces by not liking or saying they would take the pass and I do not agree at all.

Resenge

What are you talking about? Noone said anyone was "entitled" to anything. People are gauging which choice they would want over the other.

While we have that subject up, let's not be simple and live in this alternate reality where you can't dislike things. Of course if someone gave me either I would either accept it or not. Me personally I do not have any desire to have an "xbox ultimate pass".

You are making it seem like are hypothetically spitting in people's faces by not liking or saying they would take the pass and I do not agree at all.
my original post was just a throwaway funny gif and you guys get all angsty over it.

If i receveid a gift like that, i would be pissed. Just gift me a game i want and can play whenever i want, instead of a service i have to keep on paying eventually to keep using.
You guys bitching about a PS5 are just goalpost moving, No where in the original post I quoted does he say anything about a PS5. My point stands.

You get pissed over a gift then you are an ass.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I did a quick check using the list directly from the PSNow site and there aren't over 800 games. The raw number is 715 and once you deduplicate the games on both PS4 and PS3, the episodic content games, the DLC somehow counted separately you get 695 games.

53% of those games are PS4 games, the rest is PS3. For comparison 75% of GP games are XBO generation.

Like I said in a previous post, PSNow isn't too bad and I wonder why more people don't use it. The biggest issue is that as far as I can tell, the most recent first party game added to it is Days Gone, which is a year and a half old now. And there are plenty of older first party games missing, e.g. you don't even have access to the remaster of TLOU?

And now would you believe that Days Gone is actually going to rotate out of PSNow in April 2021? Even the first party stuff gets rotated?

Edit: Actually there's also Medievil which was released in September 2019, so a bit more than a year old.

Last edited:

anothertech

You can say whatever you want but Game Pass is a tremendous value if you like video games.
It's kinda like ps4 vs Xbone value. 3:1 console sales world wide. 3:1 games for the service.

300 vs 900 is kinda hard to chew and swallow. Now, the first party releases would make a difference if they actually released first party games. But since we can't name a decent first party game released on gamepass in the last year, that's pretty much a moot point.

By 2023, there should hopefully be some first party games to talk about though. We'll look forward to that Greg.

Chukhopops

It's kinda like ps4 vs Xbone value. 3:1 console sales world wide. 3:1 games for the service.

300 vs 900 is kinda hard to chew and swallow. Now, the first party releases would make a difference if they actually released first party games. But since we can't name a decent first party game released on gamepass in the last year, that's pretty much a moot point.

By 2023, there should hopefully be some first party games to talk about though. We'll look forward to that Greg.
There are actual numbers posted literally two posts above yours, can you read?

As for the decent games released this year on GamePass, I"ll give you three:

- Flight Simulator (sometimes referred to as Google Maps), 91 MC
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps, 90 MC
- Wasteland 3, 85 MC

I'll save you the trouble of saying they don't count for some reason.

anothertech

There are actual numbers posted literally two posts above yours, can you read?

As for the decent games released this year on GamePass, I"ll give you three:

- Flight Simulator (sometimes referred to as Google Maps), 91 MC
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps, 90 MC
- Wasteland 3, 85 MC

I'll save you the trouble of saying they don't count for some reason.
Sorry. 2:1 ratio.

Also games people care about.

I don’t care about your console wars. While you waste your time posting this nonsense I am too busy having fun being a gamer. I have a Series x now and will have a PS5 when I can find one, but you’re probably still going to be here trying to simp for Sony.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I did a quick check using the list directly from the PSNow site and there aren't over 800 games. The raw number is 715 and once you deduplicate the games on both PS4 and PS3, the episodic content games, the DLC somehow counted separately you get 695 games.

53% of those games are PS4 games, the rest is PS3. For comparison 75% of GP games are XBO generation.

Like I said in a previous post, PSNow isn't too bad and I wonder why more people don't use it. The biggest issue is that as far as I can tell, the most recent first party game added to it is Days Gone, which is a year and a half old now. And there are plenty of older first party games missing, e.g. you don't even have access to the remaster of TLOU?

And now would you believe that Days Gone is actually going to rotate out of PSNow in April 2021? Even the first party stuff gets rotated?

Edit: Actually there's also Medievil which was released in September 2019, so a bit more than a year old.

Days Gone is actually free with the PS+ collection though, a collection of 18 or 20 great games you get for free with your PS5. It includes games like God of War, Bloodborne or The Last of Us, which are basically unmatched in quality on Xbox side.

And that's the problem with Gamepass : the best games are more on Sony side, so why should I choose to play anything else instead on my limited time ? And I want to be free and choose what I play and when, so subscription models are not for me. I just had a total blast with Demon's Souls, a true next gen masterpiece. There's no such thing on Gamepass right now.

I am a Gamepass subscriber on PC though. I still think it's a very good deal right now obviously, since it's the first phase when you try to get as many suscribers as you can before upping the price or lowering quality like every subscription model did. It's a great deal right now (as long as the price doesn't increase), especially if you don't have much money or you are more a casual gamer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom