• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN | Forget PS5: Xbox Game Pass is the best gaming gift of the holidays

BeardGawd

Banned
This is pretty much spot on. Especially as a gift. You can buy an xbox controller (I think they’re on sale for $40) plus 6 months game pass for anyone that has an Android phone. Pretty awesome actually and a much cheaper gift. Win win.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If i receveid a gift like that, i would be pissed. Just gift me a game i want and can play whenever i want, instead of a service i have to keep on paying eventually to keep using.
It’s funny you mention that because I was going to gift GP to someone I know but thought the same thing.

Tried gamepass, for £1, only good for guys who dont play alot of games, as 95% of good games i have already played, needs alot more games to call it a netfilx of games.

Moogle11

Banned
There are lots of people who are perfectly happy to play a game and give it back when they are done. Not everyone wants the clutter of a game collection.

Very much this. Even with games I buy I mostly buy physical so I can sell when done and recoup a little cost. Just no reason to own media as someone who very rarely revisits things and hates clutter. I hated local rental shops dried up and then Redbox stopped carrying games. Those were great for just knocking out shorter games in a day or two.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
CNN meanwhile is saying they aren’t changing the way they present the news, Xbox’s mentality is making Xbox live the most important aspect of their brand they want people to sink their time into it.

CAB_Life

The game I responded to were all old. The only one denying reality here is you, someone who is incapable of accepting that not everyone see's game pass as a priority.

And Destiny 2 is very old

Destiny 2 Last Light is certainly not old and is a $70 game. None of the games I mentioned are old, objectively speaking either. The point is that you don't care for the games on offer, but that doesn't diminish the value of the proposition. It's not a service for you, as we've established. But denying that it has value at all is indeed a denial of reality.

Moogle11

Banned
Tried gamepass, for £1, only good for guys who dont play alot of games, as 95% of good games i have already played, needs alot more games to call it a netfilx of games.

I can agree with that. There’s a ton on it that I want to play right now, but I only had an Xbox One early in the gen and then didn’t end up using the gaming PC I bought to replace it much. So there are a lot of MS exclusvies for me to catch up on. But also multiplat stuff I just didn’t get to as Sony and Nintendo exclusives got most of my attention in recent years. Games like Man of Medan, Outer Wilds, Doom Eternal etc.

But yeah, there’s less value in it for people who game a ton on Xbox or Pac and have already played all or most of what interests them in there. It’s definitely not a Netflix of games as the selection is much more limited fir sure. It’s great for my needs and situation though.

This is pretty much spot on. Especially as a gift. You can buy an xbox controller (I think they’re on sale for $40) plus 6 months game pass for anyone that has an Android phone. Pretty awesome actually and a much cheaper gift. Win win.

I allways gift consoles and gift cards, so if they want gamepass they can get it, why would i waste money on streaming crap, most people have iphone anyways.

Hairsplash

CNN is a globalist shill no shit they would pimp Bill Gates machine and their “you will own nothing and like it” great reset style subscription plan

where in the front page of CNN did you read this... it was in the bottom half, right? . CNN’s hard news is in the top 20% of the front web page... the bottom 80 gets fluffier the further you go down (IMO While the hard news is “sponsored “ by CNN tv channel, the web site needs to make money... and bottom 20% is those insipid web ads...)

DavidGzz

If you like game rental i guess. Gamefly existed forever and has full game selection. I still don't get what is so exciting about game rental service with limited library . Same for ps now or gamefly.

I feel like buying digital games already feels like game rental since I can't resell them and unless it's a highly replayable game like Dark Souls, I'll probably never touch it again. So Gamefly without the wait period and XGS games that will never leave the service. Sounds pretty awesome.

Using the word rental like its a bad thing. Do I get to play the game? Yes? It's normal gaming then. Sweet.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
CNN must have found out Trump was holding SNE stock.

oagboghi2

Destiny 2 Last Light is certainly not old and is a $70 game. None of the games I mentioned are old, objectively speaking either. The point is that you don't care for the games on offer, but that doesn't diminish the value of the proposition. It's not a service for you, as we've established. But denying that it has value at all is indeed a denial of reality.
Why would I play Destiny 2 DLC on game pass if I already own Destiny 2? It's an old game and none of the games you mentioned were games I was originally responding to. If you look at the game pass library, it's mostly old games. Games that were released a year ago, sometimes more. Games I have already played, some of them even own, and I am not alone in that situation.

I never said it has no value. Like I said previously, I'm subscribed after all. What I object to I that idea that this service is as valuable as owning a brand new system. It is not, and anyone who was being honest would admit to that

Why would I play Destiny 2 DLC on game pass if I already own Destiny 2? It's an old game and none of the games you mentioned were games I was originally responding to. If you look at the game pass library, it's mostly old games. Games that were released a year ago, sometimes more. Games I have already played, some of them even own, and I am not alone in that situation.

I never said it has no value. Like I said previously, I'm subscribed after all. What I object to I that idea that this service is as valuable as owning a brand new system. It is not, and anyone who was being honest would admit to that

Destiny 2's current DLC IS THE GAME like... no one is playing the old content, in fact you can't lol.

Arkam

Imagine the parent who reads/watches CNN (already hilarious) goes and buys their kid a year of GamePass (thinking they are the best parent) only for their kid to tell them that they need to buy a console or upgrade the home PC to use it. And even then the kid is disappointed.

I too would be disappointed with any other analogous "best value" subscription as a gift. Here is a year of SiriusXM, NetFlix, Spotify, etc..... that's what distant relatives get as gifts cuz they don't know the person well enough.

iu

Last edited:
Yes you can. Destiny 2 is still playable if you haven't bought last light.

And that doesn't change the fact Destiny 2 is old. Do you think World of Warcraft is brand new?

Yeah, it still has a free to play component but most of what free to play players used to have access to is gone, but there are new things they get access to. They removed 4 planets worth of content and even though Nessus stayed they took away its raids and Menagerie. Most of what you'd be doing is new content.

OrtizTwelve

XBOX Game Pass is the type of future gaming will be taking in the next decade whether people realize it or not.

Much like Hulu, Netflix, and HBO MAX are to movies and tv shows, along with Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music are to audio, — services like Game Pass will be the new normal to video games.

Eventually PlayStation will have something similar that is better than the current incarnation of PS Now, and I eventually expect Nintendo to follow suit — they will likely be the last holdout.

Overall it’s a good service and it has slowly changed the way I purchase and play games. The idea of paying $59 or $69 for a video game has made me more selective, and game pass with guaranteed XBOX originals day 1 is pretty appealing. I imagine a few years from now the catalog will be fantastic — it has come a long way since it’s introduction.

Microsoft has had a lot of success with their subscription models for their products — Office 365, etc — Game Pass will be successful.

CAB_Life

When I moved from PS after almost 2 decades and entered into the Xbox ecosystem (well I had a 360 for their brief JRPG foray), I had literally a console plus Gamepass and that's it; each was as "valuable" as the other. Nothing else transferred. Not even my ESO account as that game isn't cross platform.

We'd likely agree that a system is nothing without games, and GP provides a consistent and steady diet of those. Anyone who is being honest would admit that there is worth in having an entire library for $15/m and it's tiresome watching people trot out the same limpid arguments, which just boil down to "it's not valuable/ worth it/ useful to me." Considering it's the most successful and ubiquitous streaming/ subscription of its kind its value and the percentage of those who find it essential vs those that don't should be indisputable at this point. As valuable as owning a system, since again, you get an entire library that's refreshed throughout the year for a measly monthly charge.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Game Pass is shite. The list of games is utter rubbish, I cancelled it after 1 month

Well if you expected PlayStation exclusives on it then yeah its pretty bad.

If you expect Microsoft first party and multi plat games, then it's kinda great.

I do however like to buy the games, but if I didn't have a huge library I can't deny that it would be tempting.
The pc library just seems to be very small to justify it yet.

thejared

XBOX Game Pass is the type of future gaming will be taking in the next decade whether people realize it or not.

Much like Hulu, Netflix, and HBO MAX are to movies and tv shows, along with Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music are to audio, — services like Game Pass will be the new normal to video games.

Eventually PlayStation will have something similar that is better than the current incarnation of PS Now, and I eventually expect Nintendo to follow suit — they will likely be the last holdout.

Overall it’s a good service and it has slowly changed the way I purchase and play games. The idea of paying $59 or $69 for a video game has made me more selective, and game pass with guaranteed XBOX originals day 1 is pretty appealing. I imagine a few years from now the catalog will be fantastic — it has come a long way since it’s introduction.

Microsoft has had a lot of success with their subscription models for their products — Office 365, etc — Game Pass will be successful.

Definitely changed the way I purchase games. Now I can pay for Call of Duty Cold War, and Cyberpunk 2077, and every other new release like normal, but I get the privilege of sending them $120 a year for a bunch of old garbage that I’ve already played or passed on. What a great system.
All these stans here want to talk about that poor single parent with 2 kids who can’t afford gaming... well how will you feel when the yearly subscription comes due and they can’t pay it and now the kids turn on their system and have diddly squat. These subscriptions are all scams to drip money from you each month while also getting the fomo people to double dip.
So pro-conshumer!

Flintty

XSS with a sub for Gamepass is fucking great for casuals. So they’re not really wrong.

Hardly anybody cares about this which is why they are still trying to kill each other over a PS5.

Welcome back from your ban. You still can’t help yourself going into Xbox threads to let everyone know you don’t care about Xbox though, right? 😂

longdi

Banned
When I moved from PS after almost 2 decades and entered into the Xbox ecosystem (well I had a 360 for their brief JRPG foray), I had literally a console plus Gamepass and that's it; each was as "valuable" as the other. Nothing else transferred. Not even my ESO account as that game isn't cross platform.

We'd likely agree that a system is nothing without games, and GP provides a consistent and steady diet of those. Anyone who is being honest would admit that there is worth in having an entire library for $15/m and it's tiresome watching people trot out the same limpid arguments, which just boil down to "it's not valuable/ worth it/ useful to me." Considering it's the most successful and ubiquitous streaming/ subscription of its kind its value and the percentage of those who find it essential vs those that don't should be indisputable at this point. As valuable as owning a system, since again, you get an entire library that's refreshed throughout the year for a measly monthly charge.

I dont enjoys $70 a piece game, so thank god for GPU.

Even as a pc gamer, it is insane value. 🤷‍♀️
GPU is daring, visionary and a plan that only a few elite corporations can finance it for the long haul.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Does it make sense to call someone a system warrior, when you yourself are a known one? Or are you under some sort of illusion where your Sonic avatar throws people off? You're a known quantity too.

Shouldn't the title be "Forget PSNOW"? This is a puff piece to appease somebody, putting PS5 is there to drive clicks "oh shock controversy", otherwise it would literally read like an ad. Which it still does, but the title turns it into some sort of "opinion article".
Im not a system warrior of the same level you are. I dont go and post in every sony thread with negatives about the ps5. I have a different perspective that doesn't align with people on both sides sometimes. That doesn't stop me from stating my opinion.

You are one of the people here implying this is more about getting "positive coverage" then it is about someone saying something is a good value. That I disagree with, but go on an push that your theory that this isn't a genuine or honest opinion.

Last edited:

SynTha1

I don't understand the logic in paying a company so they can tell u what games u can play and not own them and they can take them away at any moment. Especially a company as shady Microsoft smdh. I really wish they would just sell the Xbox division and stick to windows and office.

As a gamepass ultimate subscriber for the last 18 months (and for the next 18 months as well), I have to say, as just my honest opinion, that this service is very overrated. It is not what I want at all.

I constantly feel bad when games leave the service before I ever even get around to playing them. I much prefer a service like ps plus where they drip feed me new games but I get to play them forever (well, if I keep paying for the service that is).

Now, if I really loved MS exclusives the service would have a lot more value for me. As it stands, I only love Halo. I have been playing the old Halo games on PC thanks to gamepass and it’s been great.

At the end of the day I’m a game collector at heart and gamepass feels unsatisfying and it even causes me anxiety sometimes. For these reasons, I am out (when my paid sub ends in 2022).

oldergamer

You guys going to attack the author next and claim he is "fake news" and that this is a paid article?

not like some here haven't done this before to DF or others that review games. IMO it's a pathetic stance to take when you can disagree with something and give reasons why other then "ooohhh that seems suspicious". game pass is a fucking great value for what it is, and it keeps getting better.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's great value for new gamers but for people like me who had a XB360 and Xone with Xbox Live Gold for years It's just old games you already own or played on other platforms. It's just there in the background.

I play some Gears 5 or Horizon 4 sometimes but they were selling for 10$ or 20$ recently you might as well just buy them. I don't even want to waste my time downloading Flight Simulator. There's google maps for that.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
PS5 is the better buy for my tastes/habits.. but I do have loads of friends who absolutely love GamePass and clearly get great value out of it (literally see them online playing random GamePass games all the time)

Me personally it's just not how I game; I know what I want to play and it's not so many games that I need a sub service to choose games from.

Wasn't this the same news network that had an article saying it's good for your relationship if you let your wife cheat on you? Yeah, definitely where I want to get my gaming news.

Desudzer10

This is how wars are started.....the media. Yes gamepass is amazing, but you can't play Sony exclusives on an xbox you f'n idiots. Well, actually anything pre-PS3 you can.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
God forbid anyone have an opinion that isn't centered around the PS5 being able to split the atom.

Having an opinion doesn't mean they are shills. You want shills, look no further than the Sony Marketing Team on this forum consistently marketing the PS5 on levels bordering on hysteria with no ability for nuance or reasonableness.

DavidGzz

I don't understand the logic in paying a company so they can tell u what games u can play and not own them and they can take them away at any moment. Especially a company as shady Microsoft smdh. I really wish they would just sell the Xbox division and stick to windows and office.

Why even click on Xbox threads? You're obviously one who will never come around to accepting them with a post like this. Sad.

Mom/Dad: "Merry Christmas honey, here's a year subscription of gamepass!"

Kid: "Awesome! So I get to play Call of Duty Cold War, Grand Theft Auto V, Cyberpunk 2077, Fifa 21 or [insert game that tops the NPD charts and the main reason people play console games in the first place]"

Mom/Dad: "...................."

Thirty7ven

Banned
Im not a system warrior of the same level you are. I dont go and post in every sony thread negatives about the ps5. I have a different perspective that doesn't align with people on both sides sometimes. That doesn't stop me from stating my opinion.

You are one of the people here implying this is more about getting "positive coverage" then it is about someone saying something is a good value. That I disagree with, but go on an push that your theory that this isn't a genuine or honest opinion.

“There’s levels to this” lol, you’re no better than anyone else.

And clearly you don’t understand how tech “journalism” works, and certainly haven’t read the “article” itself as it reads like promotional material. There’s nothing in it aside from what is quite clearly a tutorial on how to subscribe to Gamepass.

No effort put into it at all, and without PS5 in the title it would literally be an ad. The premise doesn’t even make sense. It’s embarrassing that this was written by a so called journalist, but that’s how this side of journalism works.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
The Xbox hate is ridiculous. If this was about PS Now all the haters would love CNN.
If this was about PS Now, the article would actually mention Gamepass at some point. Instead whilst PS Plus is mentioned, Now never is. I guess when you're promoting a service with about 200 games on it as the best bargain, bringing up the 600+ game competition might cast an unwelcome shadow.

and certainly haven’t read the “article” itself as it reads like promotional material.
I want to give the journo the benefit of the doubt and just say he just really likes GP, but man, yeah, the piece really does read like it was penned by MS marketing. Like I said earlier, no mention of PS Now is a bizarre omission that kind of feels like he was dodging an inconvenient alternative because he'd have to bring up the fact it has 3 times more games on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom