• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN | Forget PS5: Xbox Game Pass is the best gaming gift of the holidays

sinnergy

Gamepass is nice if you don't have money. If you do, buying a PS5 and playing the best games and the best versions of the games you want looks like a much better choice.
You have money ? Maybe you can loan broke people who are forced to close their business in these corona times 😇 so they can buy a PS5.

BabyYoda

Banned
Darn, I thought Gamepass was a great deal, but if CNN is saying that as well, then I may have to reconsider! If they said water is wet I wouldn't believe them.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

These are some weak arguments made by someone that doesn't know what it offers. Im making an assumption that you haven't tried it.

Games stay on it for months. They also net you a bigger discount if you want the full game. Majority of games on there are less then 20 hours.

The idea is having choice in playing something you like.nobody forces u to play all 384 games on the service.
I know what it offers, i simply dont care or want it. I like to own what im paying for, and i dont mind paying full price for something i enjoy, and if i want to pay less for something, i can just wait a few months and have an even bigger discount on physicial games, or hell, i get discounts just from pre-ordering those.

i'm not saying gamepass is bad, it isnt, but for me it doesnt do anything.

Moogle11

Banned
Both Playstation and XBGPass are great.

Yep. Been having a blast with both my PS5 and my Xbox Series X—which is and will be mostly a Gamepass machine. Love my Switch and game a lot on it as well. I’d never limit myself to a single platform.

Gamepass amazing though. Sony gets more of my time as I love cinematic, narrative-driven action adventure games and it’s where most of my friends are fit MP games. But I really wish they and Nintendo had equivalent services.

Gamepass is just ideal for me as someone that doesn’t collect games and rarely wants to replay anything. If they all had similar services I’d never buy a game again just like I haven’t bought a movie or album in years since the proliferation of streaming services.

CAB_Life

On account of Gamepass, I've played over a dozen amazing games that I wouldn't have otherwise touched in a million years. New releases like Haven for example, with which I'm absolutely smitten.

The only people who argue against GP are those who've never tried it and don't know how it works.

Freeman76

This is when you realize CNN should stop having a go at gaming news.
Wtf are you on about? I know you are probably sitting in your playstation underpants right now, but how is Gamepass not something that anybody who enjoys games would appreciate?

Some of you are so stupidly brand loyal you lose touch with reality.

Last edited:

xacto

Wtf are you on about? I know you are probably sitting in your playstation underpants right now, but how is Gamepass not something that anybody who enjoys games would appreciate?

I think you're taking yourself too seriously. Breathe.

oagboghi2

On account of Gamepass, I've played over a dozen amazing games that I wouldn't have otherwise touched in a million years. New releases like Haven for example, with which I'm absolutely smitten.

The only people who argue against GP are those who've never tried it and don't know how it works.
I am currently subscribed to it.

It is no way a better value than a PS5. Especially if you plan to solely use it streaming, as this article suggests. This article is stupid as hell.

Freeman76

Both Playstation and XBGPass are great.

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg
Because the majority of gamers are immature little cunts who just want to argue about who has the best toy.

oagboghi2

Because the majority of gamers are immature little cunts who just want to argue about who has the best toy.

😂😂🤡🌍

Very mature

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I never thought about “gifting” gamepass, but actually is a great idea. Specially now that xcloud is a thing. Like a 3 month gp + a regular xbox controller is a really great combo.

Iced Arcade

gamepass is an amazing gift! especially for someone who just got a new console and has no game or just 1 or 2 games in his/her library.

I don't think they needed to include the clickbait title of "forget PS5"

DavidGzz

The hate for the name Xbox on these forums is so evident. I love my PS5 but GP is amazing. Just finished Jedi Fallen Order on it. Moving on to Gears Tactics. Not too long ago I was in awe at Flight Simulator. Early next year I get to try The Ascent which looks really cool. I'm paid up until June of 2023. Ignore the name Xbox for a sec and imagine all the games Game Pass will deliver in that time for me. It's insane.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Control, Ori 2, MS Flight Simulator and Jedi Fallen Order would be in which category?
It's a waste of time, even with hard statistics showing the catalog people will still believe what they want to believe. Less than 15% of GP games are from the 360 generation or older.

Reactions: JLB

Moogle11

Banned

To be fair, also collector types who just want to own their media. Same types who don’t like Netflix, Spotify etc. as they collect libraries of movie discs, record and so on.

Not my cup of tea at all as I‘m just not a collector, hate clutter and rarely rewatch movies, replay games etc. So I’m all for ease of access as this stuff is all very disposable to me. But that’s a still a valid reason to nkt care for these kind of services for people who do enjoy collecting.

Last edited:
If you like game rental i guess. Gamefly existed forever and has full game selection. I still don't get what is so exciting about game rental service with limited library . Same for ps now or gamefly.

CAB_Life

That's called "settling".

No it's called removing the price objection that would stall me from making a purchase I'm somewhat interested in, but unsure if I'll like. I have over 250 games in my PS library and I've played to completion maybe 15% of them if even that. We collect so much digital trash that it's nice to not be locked into a purchase or forcing yourself to hate-play some garbage game you never wanted just to milk out some measure of value.

Conversely, GP has been great for finding those exact turds too, and not just the hidden gems.

Chukhopops

If you like game rental i guess. Gamefly existed forever and has full game selection. I still don't get what is so exciting about game rental service with limited library . Same for ps now or gamefly.
Are you really comparing a physical disk rental service where you have to send and receive games one at a time with GamePass? You don't see any difference at all between the two, maybe in terms of how they work at a fundamental level? This is hall of fame level of bad faith take.

As for PSNow, I don't think it's bad personally but you just don't get any Day 1 release whatsoever, be it first party or indie. So the "old games" argument applies even more there. PSNow also has a much higher ratio of PS3 to PS4 games compared to GamePass.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There are lots of people who are perfectly happy to play a game and give it back when they are done. Not everyone wants the clutter of a game collection.

Unknown?

Are you really comparing a physical disk rental service where you have to send and receive games one at a time with GamePass? You don't see any difference at all between the two, maybe in terms of how they work at a fundamental level? This is hall of fame level of bad faith take.

As for PSNow, I don't think it's bad personally but you just don't get any Day 1 release whatsoever, be it first party or indie. So the "old games" argument applies even more there. PSNow also has a much higher ratio of PS3 to PS4 games compared to GamePass.
Did he say it was exactly the same? That said how many games can you play at a time anyway? Gamefly let's you rent more than one at a time.. Does the extra convenience of not having to send out make much of a difference? Do you really need to play five or more games at a time?

oagboghi2

Haven, The Medium, The Ascent (soon), Destiny 2 and its current and past DLC? Those are all old? Those are my recent and awaited picks. There's not liking the library and then flat out denying reality. You're doing the latter.
The game I responded to were all old. The only one denying reality here is you, someone who is incapable of accepting that not everyone see's game pass as a priority.

And Destiny 2 is very old

Mr Moose

After seeing his mother and father on the Xbox website a few weeks back, little Timmy is excited on Christmas morning, he runs down the stairs with a huge smile on his face thinking how he's going to be teabagging noobs on Call of Duty with his shiny new Xbox Series X.
He looks under the Christmas tree and notices only a small box. Confused as to how a Series X could fit into such a small box, he tears it open.
201202111436-xbox-game-pass-live-video.jpg

Merry Christmas, little Timmy.

Chukhopops

Did he say it was exactly the same? That said how many games can you play at a time anyway? Gamefly let's you rent more than one at a time.. Does the extra convenience of not having to send out make much of a difference? Do you really need to play five or more games at a time?
I would argue that yes, the extra convenience of not having to physically ship out games every time you want to try them on GamePass is a major difference yeah. And that saying the two are similar is a bad faith argument that makes no sense whatsoever.

Not to mention Gamefly is US-only, you need to wait two days for them to ship a game, they ship based on the stock they have, etc. I could go on but I don't think it's needed.

I play around three games in parallel now, out of which 2 are from GamePass. But I play the occasional Forza Horizon 4 and Overcooked 2 with my wife.

Edit: Also Gamefly is WAY more expensive and seems to be limited to four games based on a quick search:

• 1-Disc Plan - One game or movie out at a time for $15.95 plus tax/month
• 2-Disc Plan - Two games or movies out at a time for $22.95 plus tax/month (Our most popular plan!)
• 3-Disc Plan - Three games or movies out at a time for $29.95 plus tax/month
• 4-Disc Plan - Four games or movies out at a time for $36.95 plus tax/month

You still think it is comparable in any way?

Last edited:
Top Bottom