• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo: The Nintendo Power of Latin America

Holammer

GTV Japan just posted what could be viewed as a meta april fools because the YT channel usually deals with retrogaming from a Japan centric perspective. This video however is not a joke and it's a well researched 28m extravaganza delving into the history of gaming in Mexico with an obvious Nintendo focus and Gus Rodríguez, an industry pioneer critical to this story.

Never heard of GTV Japan? It's one of those channels that the Google algorithm forgot.

Rodolink

ah such good times when I was a kid there in Guadalajara, every Saturday morning was such a joy, eagerly waiting for the weekly gaming news (remember no internet yet at the time) only magazines and tv. And there was usually a very cool poster included with concept art of the games.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I still have several volumes on my parent's home... I liked getting them and then commeting about games with my friends when I was younger, getting the magazine meant all your circle will come to you and discuss who will read it first

Fbh

Loved these as a kid.

I remember reading this one so many times in anticipation to my birthday when I'd be getting Pokemon Gold (I hoped):
page_1.jpg

I also remember being intrigued by this preview they had of robopon in the same issue

p5qXDGz.jpg

I thought it sounded amazing. Looking back on it now though, it's such a blatant Pokemon ripoff lol.
I also don't think it ever released in my country.

Sidesalad

Didn't expect to be crying by the end of this. Gus sounds like an amazing guy and that documentary was extremely well done, I didn't even mind the "commercials". It makes me think how many other awesome youtube channels are out there with very little exposure.

Holammer

Didn't expect to be crying by the end of this. Gus sounds like an amazing guy and that documentary was extremely well done, I didn't even mind the "commercials". It makes me think how many other awesome youtube channels are out there with very little exposure.
Judging by the YT comments? You're not the only getting a little bit misty eyed watching it.
The commercials are part of GTV's shtick and an important part of the presentation. The 'Kono bangumi wa' gets you in the mood with era appropriate ads for the subject matter.

Sidesalad

Judging by the YT comments? You're not the only getting a little bit misty eyed watching it.
The commercials are part of GTV's shtick and an important part of the presentation. The 'Kono bangumi wa' gets you in the mood with era appropriate ads for the subject matter.
And they certainly nailed the presentation. Honestly, it made me a little nostalgic for the olden days when I watched proper TV. Their presentation actually reminded me a little Disney Channel from the mid 90s when I was watching Duck Tales, Winnie The Pooh, and Darkwing Duck. This and Archipel might be my two favorite channels now.

Sleepwalker

I used to read these every month. Gus passing not so long ago actually hit me. He was an icon for the videogame world in latin america and many of us grew up reading his magazine or watching his shows, a truly passionate person.

R.I.P Gus.

K' Dash

There's my childhood, poured into those magazine pages and the TV show, I remember watching the show with my friends and waiting for the magazine every month, it was like Christmas when it dropped.

Descansa en paz Gus.

Estamos en contact.

Azurro

Banned
That's my childhood, I still remember going to the news stand every month to see if the new Club Nintendo had arrived. I was really saddened to hear Gus Rodriguez had passed away, the guy was huge in creating videogame fandom in Mexico and Latin America. RIP.

Top Bottom