• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Saves coming tomorrow to PS+ members (plus FW 3.60)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
chubigans said:
I have 46 unique game save files in my cloud right now, some huge (Fallout Vegas is 12mb) some tiny (quite a few at under 150k) and I'm at 121mb free space remaining.

I'd like to see more space, but it's not as big an issue as I thought it would be. Devs just better get a handle on save sizes from now on though.
How quick was the upload?
As in, did the PS3 take full advantage of your internet upload speed?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dallow_bg said:
It wasn't as slow as I thought it was going to be. Seemed pretty fast, though most of my saves were small, so it's kinda hard to say.

The way this is set up, saving directly to the online server doesn't seem like it'd be hard to implement at all. It's just a matter of accessing that folder while in-game and directly loading/saving from there.

It's essentially set up as a sub-folder of the game saves folder, instead of as a completely separate thing.

Though that would mean you'd have to be online to access your saves. It wouldn't be accessible both ways like it is through Steam.

Trevelyon

FUUUUUU.jpg

I could try whip out my YLoD phatty and try the hair-dryer on the RSX 'fix'. Got a whole slew of in limbo saves (Lengthy Resistance 2 online campaign save, LBP, Demon's Souls, KZ2, so on and so forth)

Just a matter of how much time I have if and once its working.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
dallow_bg said:

Just saved my first save....Demon's Soul (3.5MB), saved into the cloud, I can relax...aaahhhh..took 15 seconds from 1 > 100% uploaded (35MB connection)

ps3cloud.jpg

I'm here.
but not really because I don't have PS+

Trevelyon said:
FUUUUUU.jpg

I could try whip out my YLoD phatty and try the hair-dryer on the RSX 'fix'. Got a whole slew of in limbo saves (Lengthy Resistance 2 online campaign save, LBP, Demon's Souls, KZ2, so on and so forth)

Just a matter of how much time I have if and once its working.

I would go for it and try to get as much up there as you can.

CozMick

Banned
£40 a year for peace of mind, worth every damn penny!

Cloud saves for the win bitches!

My GT5 save is now in the hands of the cloud gods.

Trevelyon

Infinite Justice said:
I would go for it and try to get as much up there as you can.

Yeah, fo' sho.

Maybe it'll be a huge bust or.... not. But there's gotta be people out there right now resurrecting dead saves through the cloud. It'll be great to hear the success stories nonetheless.

GraveRobberX

Well the feature just rolled out I'm already @ 96/150MB left LOL:

Copying Prohibited Saves:

Demon's Soul (NA) - 3529 K87 KB
Demon's Soul (Asia) -3529 KB
Two Worlds II (Gamer network characters and village data) - 98 KB
Vanquish - 87 KB
Sam & Man: The Devil's Playhouse: Episode 1 - 873 KB
Sam & Man: The Devil's Playhouse: Episode 2 - 1716 KB
Sam & Man: The Devil's Playhouse: Episode 3 - 1606 KB
Sam & Man: The Devil's Playhouse: Episode 4 - 1518 KB
Sam & Man: The Devil's Playhouse: Episode 5 - 2568 KB
Bayonetta - 210 KB
Bayonetta (System Data) - 141 KB
Bayonetta (Continue Data) - 210 KB
Heavy Rain - 5364 KB
Heavy Rain (Options) - 143 KB
Street Fighter IV - 3763 KB
Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires - 633KB
Rouge Warrior - 4846 <==== L to the fucking O to the Fucking L
Dante's Inferno - 1219 KB
Assassin's Creed II - 2547 KB
Assassin's Creed II (Profile) - 2313 KB
The Saboteur - 1701 KB
KillZone 2 - 1072 KB
Medal of Honor: Frontline - 132 KB
Medal of Honor: Frontline (Preference Data) - 131 KB
Red Faction: Guerilla - 88 KB
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - 784 KB
Need For Speed: Undercover - 1160 KB
Need For Speed: Shift - 2322 KB
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions - 1141 KB
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs - 98 KB
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days - 159 KB
Transformers: War for Cybertron (Autobot Checkpoint) - 178 KB
Transformers: War for Cybertron (Decepticon Checkpoint) - 185 KB
Transformers: War for Cybertron (Profile) - 182 KB
Transformers: War for Cybertron (Custom Characters) - 187 KB
Mortal Kombat II - 104 KB

Regular Save:

Fallout 3 (GOTY) - 7652

Noshino

Im trying to get my brother to upload my Demon's Souls and UC2 data from my ps3 back in FL so that I can upload it over here (Chicago)... :D

Karma said:
They fill your queue for you? So you dont know which movies you are getting?

Netflix might be one of the worst examples in this case, lol.

Netflix has the stream-only accounts as well (as a matter of fact, there were rumors that they might even stop mail-ins, I dont remember if it was debunked or not), in said case you are at Netflix's mercy, as you don't know when or what they'll bring.

We are talking about $7.99 per month, that is more expensive than PS+ and just for movies. Oh, and you don't get to keep any of that content, none, zero, nada.

Jonnyram

I'm quitting Xbox Live and buying PSN+. Cloud saving means that much to me.
Good job, Microsoft, for your expensive shitty service that never evolved beyond getting demos a week early.

Irish

Uh, how in the hell did I not see this? Badass! My 15 month sub to PS+ is probably the greatest thing I've ever spent $50 on outside of Shadow of the Colossus.

Jonnyram said:
I'm quitting Xbox Live and buying PSN+. Cloud saving means that much to me.
Good job, Microsoft, for your expensive shitty service that never evolved beyond getting demos a week early.

The funny thing is that the demos basically release on the same date for Gold and free PSN. PS+ has only a few exclusive early demos each month but usually those actually release a week before they do on Gold. ^^

onken

I had some credit so I bit on a 3 month sub. I'm impressed at how fast saving to the cloud is, even my 12mb Fallout 3 save took less than a minute.

i'm a psn+ member already but why is this a big deal?

i have a 150 GB HD and have probably 100 GB still left. why should i give a shit that 150 MB can be put on their servers? what is the purpose? are you guys so low on your storage that 150 MB is going to make a difference? or am i misunderstanding what this is all about?

FrenchMovieTheme said:

i have a 150 GB HD and have probably 100 GB still left. why should i give a shit that 150 MB can be put on their servers? what is the purpose? are you guys so low on your storage that 150 MB is going to make a difference? or am i misunderstanding what this is all about?

you can deal with locked saves without much hassle.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
FrenchMovieTheme said:

PS3 dies, saves are saved.

MariusElijah said:
PS3 dies, saves are saved.

i just bought a new ps3 because my old one died. i haven't had any problems using my old saves..... but maybe i haven't run into any copyrighted saves yet.

i guess that's cool. not sure why people who have never replaced their ps3 would care though

Carl

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Easier to back up saves, if you own multiple PS3s (or game at a mate's house often) you can switch between consoles and use your saves easier.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what are locked saves?

Some games copy protect their saves so they can't be moved around (Demons Souls seems to be a poster boy for this in the thread).

So if your PS3 is dying that save will go down with it.

IIRC they have a method of moving it but that includes getting another Ps3 for transfer. With the cloud you just save it on their servers.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what are locked saves?
There are some PS3 game save files that you cant just copy to a USB stick and load them on another PS3. They are copy protected and prevent you from doing it. With cloud saving you have an easy way to send the save file to the cloud and make sure you won't lose it later if your system crashes or you get a new hard drive.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
but maybe i haven't run into any copyrighted saves yet

Demon's Souls is probably the worst offender of this. I lost a 100+ hour game save file when my old PS3 died. Heavy Rain and Killzone 2 also use it.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i just bought a new ps3 because my old one died. i haven't had any problems using my old saves..... but maybe i haven't run into any copyrighted saves yet.

i guess that's cool. not sure why people who have never replaced their ps3 would care though
You are home. You unlock this amazing unlockable that takes 100+ hour. You want to continue but you are going on a vacation. Your friend has a PS3 though. Guess what? Create an account on his PS3 and continue where you left off from!

Or maybe you unlocked all cars in GT5, you go to friends place and want to play it there but he hasn't unlocked jackshit: cloud to the rescue.

There are many possibilities of Cloud save e.g. You owning multiple consoles, or the thought of not worrying if you lose the savefile and your PS3 dies (mine did. Lost everything even when I backed it all up: bad data or some shit). Etc, etc.

klee123

This feature is actually very convenient for me, since I often go to my friend's place to play PS3 at times when I crash at his house.

So much better than bringing a USB stick with me all the time.

I wish they made this a month ago before I lost all my saves due to a crushed PS3. I am so sad about 100% save for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

klee123 said:
This feature is actually very convenient for me, since I often go to my friend's place to play PS3 at times when I crash at his house.

So much better than bringing a USB stick with me all the time.

This will be even more convenient once there are games that can save to the cloud directly, so that it's all automatic and you have your current progress available no matter from where you play with your account.

klee123

SolidusDave said:
This will be even more convenient once there are games that can save to the cloud directly, so that it's all automatic and you have your current progress available no matter from where you play with your account.

Yep, that's true but at the moment, I don't mind manually copying and saving my files. Especially for White Knight Chronicles online.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wonder if more devs will start using locked saves to encourage cloud usage?

and this isn't just handy for locked saves, tons of people don't back their PS3 up regularly as it backs up everything and is a PITA. This just backs up saves, arguably the most valuable thing inside your PS3 - everything else can be redownloaded.

is the syncing/uploading automatic?

highrider

Banned
very cool. when my xbl subscription is up for renewal in july i'll have a tough decision to make. nice to see psn+ becoming a more compelling service.

Carl

mrklaw said:
wonder if more devs will start using locked saves to encourage cloud usage?

and this isn't just handy for locked saves, tons of people don't back their PS3 up regularly as it backs up everything and is a PITA. This just backs up saves, arguably the most valuable thing inside your PS3 - everything else can be redownloaded.

is the syncing/uploading automatic?

No.

Majine

Banned
I wonder when Sony will be offering Plus subscriptions on cards, from stores. Sure, the PSN cards can be used on Plus, but the extra promotion would be enough for Sony.

GraveRobberX

Majine said:
I wonder when Sony will be offering Plus subscriptions on cards, from stores. Sure, the PSN cards can be used on Plus, but the extra promotion would be enough for Sony.

They already do, they've being doing it since December 2010 that I know of

I always see them in Best Buy, they still have the code that needs to be scratched, but it won't be activated until checked out through the register

$49.99 for the 12 months + 3 month bonus

Noshino

GraveRobberX said:
They already do, they've being doing it since December 2010 that I know of

I always see them in Best Buy, they still have the code that needs to be scratched, but it won't be activated until checked out through the register

$49.99 for the 12 months + 3 month bonus

yah, Im wondering if the 3month bonus on those are permanent or not though....if they are, I might go buy a few soon heh

cakefoo

I would at least like an option to auto-sync daily. It doesn't need to sync every single crap game we play-- that would consume way too much time, bandwidth and storage space-- but instead, just give us the ability to toggle auto-sync on individual games.

But there's gotta be a better way to protect our saves from hardware failures. I don't want to have to pay a yearly fee at all for something like this.

glaurung

Wish this feature were around before my launch PAL unit stopped working. So many damn hundreds of hours locked away in that HDD.

I wonder if some games would start saving straight onto the cloud.

Carl

glaurung said:
Wish this feature were around before my launch PAL unit stopped working. So many damn hundreds of hours locked away in that HDD.

Apparently they will, yeah

darkwing

glaurung said:

yes, this is just the start

surly

Banned
cakefoo said:
I don't want to have to pay a yearly fee at all for something like this.
Could they not just add a "backup all saves to USB stick" option on the console itself? I don't see any advantage in cloud saves over that unless you're using multiple consoles. It's easy on the 360 cos you can put all your saves on a USB stick and backup the contents of that stick to your PC. I dunno why Sony couldn't just use a system like that, although obviously it wouldn't tempt people into paying £40 a year for PSN+.

Top Bottom