• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Saves coming tomorrow to PS+ members (plus FW 3.60)

Zoe

androvsky said:
Honestly, as misleading as Sony was with Qriocity cloud music streaming, I have absolutely no clue what they're actually trying to say there.

I'd like to think that the only circumstance in which we'll run into the 24 hour time limit is when syncing to a system that has no saves for that particular game and account, and that's how it reads, but I doubt we're that lucky.

That wording is not from Sony.

If a game's save is copy-protected, it can only be restored on one PS3 within a 24-hour period.

Used-ID said:
I think 150MB of storage for the + folk is fine. All of my saves will fit there probably 3 times over. Not too sure how I feel about the 24 hour lock on locked saves though....

As for those 50+ meg save files... who the hell wants to sit and wait for a file that large to be downloaded / uploaded? And especially for games that auto save/load.... urk.

Who wants to wait? People who previously had their locked save files deleted because something happened out of their control and they were unable to back them up.

Again, it just goes to show that save files shouldn't be locked anyway.

Wonder when U.S. Plus people will be able to change their gamertag. For a fee, anyway. Live can do it, as well as Japanese PSN's.

So you have to do it manually, there is no sync and it costs you money? And this is awesome?

I am so out of touch with life in the ghetto.

angelfly

brandonh83 said:
Wonder when U.S. Plus people will be able to change their gamertag. For a fee, anyway. Live can do it, as well as Japanese PSN's.
With JPSN you can only change the displayed name. The name people use to add you remains the same.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Zoe said:

If a game's save is copy-protected, it can only be restored on one PS3 within a 24-hour period.

Right it makes it seem that on the same PS3 you can restore it all you want. Its only when restoring to a different PS3 that you have to wait for 24 hours. I guess to prevent game save sharing.

Cruzader

Banned
This is awesome. PSN+ is such a steal as more stuff trickles down over the weeks, months! COT DAUM.

i got $40 back of actual free games such as stacking. So for the other $10 im getting so many sweet ass content.

Regardless if mosr free games are rented for a year, what other service does that where you can, say rent 12 new games , one each month and keep them till the year is up for $50? None. One rented game for 5~6 days is like $8 or so. You get the point.

anyhow any Live users here can stfu about the service, haters should do the same. I mean $60 for the option to unlock online mode on your games and be able to buy games on sale? Cmon son. (lol if you bring up Spring Sale...)

snap0212

brandonh83 said:
Live can do it, as well as Japanese PSN's.
You can't really change your Japanese PSN ID either. You can change the ID that's shown on other people's friends list, though.

androvsky

Zoe said:

Whoops, so Sony was clear about it, thanks.

Oh well, I can still hope that this feature highlights the idiocy of locked saves for more people and encourages devs to stop using them / unlock them on older games.

jayb

Sorry if I missed this, but is there any news on what exactly the new "minor features" FW 3.60 will bring us?

spats

jayb said:
Sorry if I missed this, but is there any news on what exactly the new "minor features" FW 3.60 will bring us?

Printer support and clock fix. ;)

Likely just plugging security holes or adding some useless audio options to the settings, I'm not expecting a UI overhaul or cross-game chat.

Carl

jayb said:

Finding out what they are on your own is half the fun!

McLovin

Feeling pretty good about my plus membership lately. Stacking is awesome, and the feature I signed up for is finally coming out! Plus all the betas :D

GeoramA

Cruzader said:
This is awesome. PSN+ is such a steal as more stuff trickles down over the weeks, months! COT DAUM.

i got $40 back of actual free games such as stacking. So for the other $10 im getting so many sweet ass content.

Regardless if mosr free games are rented for a year, what other service does that where you can, say rent 12 new games , one each month and keep them till the year is up for $50? None. One rented game for 5~6 days is like $8 or so. You get the point.
I think it's an excellent rewards program. And now with features like cloud saving and auto download, it's morphed into a service/rewards hybrid.

To me, it's the best and most innovative idea Sony has had this generation.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
150 MB is a little bit small in my opinion, but it's a step in the right direction. I've never been compelled to join the + service as I don't think it's entirely worth $50 a year, but I'm considering getting the three month service to try it out. We'll see.

Ephemeris

Rewrite said:
150 MB is a little bit small in my opinion...

I don't think so to be honest. For one, I don't have to backup every save of mine, and two, saves aren't really that big. I invite you to check your save folder for the ones that can't be easily backed up.

The ones that could go to USB will go there, and the ones that are console locked will be uploaded to the cloud.

KillerAJD

jayb said:
I'm betting it will be related to the cloud saving stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony adds the option to copy multiple saves at once, kind of like how pictures, videos, etc. can be copied. It wouldn't be better then auto syncing the saves, but not having to go through the process of copying every single save one at a time would be nice.

Agent X

LovingSteam said:
Really have a difficult time paying for a feature that is free on the PC. I mean REALLY.

Well, the PS+ fee wouldn't be for just this feature alone. It would be for a subscription service that carries a multitude of benefits, one of which happens to be this feature.

bobbytkc said:
Are you talking about xbox live?

No. And I realize that one isn't purely subscribing to PS+ for cloud saves; nevertheless, its limited to those who do pay for it. Steam offers it free and its automatic. Its just another example to me of Sony and Microsoft making a big deal of features and charging for them that have been and continue to be free to PC gamers. Is it a positive move? Sure. But charging for it? Eh.

graywolf323

Gold Member
LovingSteam said:
No. And I realize that one isn't purely subscribing to PS+ for cloud saves; nevertheless, its limited to those who do pay for it. Steam offers it free and its automatic. Its just another example to me of Sony and Microsoft making a big deal of features and charging for them that have been and continue to be free to PC gamers. Is it a positive move? Sure. But charging for it? Eh.

not really right to compare to Steam since not that many games on Steam actually have Steam Cloud support

Sony's thing is going to be for almost all games, Steam is only for games that actually have Steamworks (and even then not all Steamworks games have Steam Cloud)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
LovingSteam said:
No. And I realize that one isn't purely subscribing to PS+ for cloud saves; nevertheless, its limited to those who do pay for it. USteam offers it free and its automatic. Its just another example to me of Sony and Microsoft making a big deal of features and charging for them that have been and continue to be free to PC gamers. Is it a positive move? Sure. But charging for it? Eh.

As far as i am concerned, xbox live is the only service that provides nothing that cannot be obtained for free on either the ps3 or pc. Ps+ is an entirely different proposition, so I don't get your point, cloud save is simply a cherry topping on top of a greater service.

Hazelhurst

Oni Jazar said:
The only thing is that it seems you have to manually back up saves on the cloud. The PS3 should do this automatically.
Yeah, definitely agree. I think it should backup ALL saves by default. We could then go back and edit what we don't want backed up if we're running low on space.

Other than that, this is a really cool feature. I currently live dangerously/lazily and never back up my saves thinking my hard drive will never die. Luckily, haven't had a failed hard drive yet, but it will happen eventually.

onken

Sounds promising but won't be really useful until they add a checkbox to every save screen that says "keep this game's saves automatically synced" and then it does it in the background every time you save normally.

Also a hearty "lol" to anybody who was expecting this to be a free feature.

bobbytkc said:
As far as i am concerned, xbox live is the only service that provides nothing that cannot be obtained for free on either the ps3 or pc. Ps+ is an entirely different proposition, so I don't get your point, cloud save is simply a cherry topping on top of a greater service.

Doesn't that ignore the point he was making though?

At any rate, this is a seriously weak effort. If they were genuine about cloud storage they would expose it as a file-system and make it totally transparent to the user (i.e. "Where do you want to store your save?" would show options for HDD, external memory or the cloud), and the saves would sync whenever they were used.

It's better than nothing but it's still half-arsed. And you have to pay for it. I can get more convenience out of symlinking save folders to my Dropbox on PC and that's completely free. So there you go, you can add PS+ to your list of services which make you pay for something free.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
This and Stacking and the Sega classics made my recent Plus subscription so, so worth it. Love it. I don't know how anyone can talk down about Plus. The amount they've given back for free easily makes up for the subscription. Even if you jumped on a 3 month sub for Stacking only, that, plus Digger, plus the Spyro games, plus Sonic, plus avatars/themes instantly surpassed the $17 you paid. And if you take advantage of the price savings on things like the Spring sale..even better. It's a steal.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jim-jam bongs said:
At any rate, this is a seriously weak effort. If they were genuine about cloud storage they would expose it as a file-system and make it totally transparent to the user (i.e. "Where do you want to store your save?" would show options for HDD, external memory or the cloud)
Er, that's exactly what it's going to do for all future games from now on I believe.

chubigans said:
Er, that's exactly what it's going to do for all future games from now on I believe.

I haven't read that, link?

Either way, it's still not the most solid implementation, as the game needs to actually support the feature. They must have some sort of abstraction layer for their file-system devices, so why not implement this within that? Then every game would be able to use it without requiring modification. Maybe it was too hard to do that without exposing the cloud to other file-system access or something, which I could understand but it's still a bit weak.

Gekko87

Playstation Blog said:
Most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward, all new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option
I NEED to know what games won't let you upload to cloud.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Gekko87 said:
I NEED to know what games won't let you upload to cloud.

If they go no Demon's Soul, I will RAGE so f'n hard, then simmer down in 15 minutes, but those 15 minutes dude, just....

Cruzader

Banned
Wow I wonder if you Debby downers bitch about having to pay for p2p when NXE gets a fricking update.

Jesus fucking christ, here we have Sony offerig Cloud Saves for PS3 which seems like a right step or continuation of their "openness" of their system. Yea it's a perk of their Plus but so what? They offer so many other things for the service and most important it's optional and online remains free for all users. Are you guys saying Cloud saves> free online? Free online is the most important factor, everything else is jelly.

Bitching about 150mb not being enough? The fuck! It's not even launched yet. Try it and then when you really see that you need more, you can post your frustrations. Going out and fucking trying to upload a damn stupid Afrika save to prove your point is stupid. Take a USB is you have a hard on and save it up our ass.

Also PC gamers, specially Steam users....really? More like some still have bitter tears. Let it go, you know what I'm talking about.

Gekko87

Zoe said:
ALL games can be uploaded. However, copy-protected saves will have a 24-hour restriction.
I know about the copy-protected saves but why the wording from the PS blog? "most games". They make it sound like final fantasy will work but not battlefield or something. I just hope your right.

Top Bottom