• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Gaming News |OT| The thread GAF was begging for

Best Cloud Gaming Service

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
CGN is your #1 destination for breathtaking cloud gaming news.
rene-antoine-houasse-athena-zeus.jpg

Mighty Cloud Gamers

14_mc_bouffons_0.jpg

Console gamers are welcome in this thread.

Example of useful great cloud gaming ports:

No need to purchase a 500 dollars PS5 to play Judgment. Just buy the game and the console is free with it...

Last edited:

Thanati

Thanks for creating this! I'm a huge cloud gamer and play on Stadia along with PC. I know Stadia is a thing we shouldn't like here on Gaf, but I love it and having a blast on Cyberpunk. It's just awesome being able to game on all my devices.

Fat Frog

Thanks for creating this! I'm a huge cloud gamer and play on Stadia along with PC. I know Stadia is a thing we shouldn't like here on Gaf, but I love it and having a blast on Cyberpunk. It's just awesome being able to game on all my devices.
You're welcome. I love Cloud gaming for many reasons. (Fast loading, no hardware, no download, no install).

Yes, i was quite impressed by Stadia's technology. I was expecting decent image quality but awful latency. I finally got mediocre image on Chrome(without Stadia enhanced plugin) with a few latency which was much more interesting for me. I tried to play on mobile to dodge IQ issues, i was impressed. Destiny 2 is beautiful on the android Stadia app, smoother than the chrome version and more responsive.

I still prefer GFN due to my compatible Steam library and graphic options but in terms of technology, Stadia has the edge. (Latency)

Alucardx23 Alucardx23
We are waiting your daily stadia fix ;) L Legenscary aries_71 aries_71 Bonfires Down Bonfires Down Komatsu Komatsu kebaldo kebaldo Duallusion Duallusion
Agent X Agent X bad guy bad guy Coconutt Coconutt Redlancet Redlancet
StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige
main-qimg-f272518604e3d3b6583c243d549fedc7

As minorities among minorities, Stadia, GFN, Shadow and Luna fans must unite.
Savages like PS, XBOX fans will eat each others and our time will come :messenger_smiling_hearts: :messenger_ok: :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Great thread!
i use my ipad pro to remote play. Ps4 5 xbox one x and pc at home. Pretty dope if you ask me been doing this for a loong time..

it all started with psvita remote play 😀👋😀

Komatsu

I am not a dedicated cloud gamer, TBH, though I have been using PS Now for years and recently took advantage of the Stadia premium promotion. I have been very impressed with the platform - truly so. When I get back on the road with my job I might start packing a Xbox controller and a tablet instead of my trusty Vita.

Fat Frog

I am not a dedicated cloud gamer, TBH, though I have been using PS Now for years and recently took advantage of the Stadia premium promotion. I have been very impressed with the platform - truly so. When I get back on the road with my job I might start packing a Xbox controller and a tablet instead of my trusty Vita.
Vita was a pretty damn good console!

Komatsu

The fact you can play CP2077 with KB + mouse on Google Chrome as if it were a true PC title is incredibly convenient. And the game looks good.

Last edited:

Agent X

I'm glad that this thread exists, too. I've been a PlayStation Now subscriber for about 5 years now (just renewed for another year), and I've also had a Stadia Pro membership for a few months. Between both of these services, I've got a heck of a lot of games to play.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Huh?
Why was I tagged in this? I'm not exactly a Stadia fan. I'd say I'm kinda neutral on it - I see the point, and maybe I'll subscribe some day for some exclusive, but I'd never buy a game there.
I don't trust that Google won't just pull the plug at some point and then all my purchases go poof.

I would, however, really like to develop for Stadia, as it's pretty much like developing for a console except easier because it is actually a Linux PC (which is exactly what I'm using all the time anyway).

Komatsu

The Stadia Enhanced plugin is absolutely necessary for those who want the best experience possible on a desktop PC.

That said, Borderland 3 for 19.99? I wasn't planning on buying, but could not miss this particular promo

Fat Frog

The Stadia Enhanced plugin is absolutely necessary for those who want the best experience possible on a desktop PC.

That said, Borderland 3 for 19.99? I wasn't planning on buying, but could not miss this particular promo
Yup, without the plugin, latency, image and framerate are horrendous.

Last edited:

aries_71

I suggest trying two Stadia exclusive: Submerged: Hidden Depths and Gylt.

Both have nice graphics, work wonderfully in Stadia, and are two interesting games.

Give it a try this Xmas.

Fat Frog

I suggest trying two Stadia exclusive: Submerged: Hidden Depths and Gylt.

Both have nice graphics, work wonderfully in Stadia, and are two interesting games.

Give it a try this Xmas.
They seem pretty nice indeed. I would add Tchia in my wish list for a relaxing adventure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Fat Frog

Cloud Gaming Fanboys of the day:

Daniel Ahmad who retweeted that vicious propaganda and Tom Warren.

Don't you get it? Once cloud gaming will be efficient, we won't have choice anymore.

SHAME! SHAME!!! The day of the lord is coming!

Alucardx23

Key points:

Google is working w/ ISPs on Data Caps

"John says that Google is “working” with ISPs on the topic of data caps, either trying to improve those caps or remove them entirely. How will that go? It remains to be seen, but whether you like Stadia or not, that’s the kind of move that is good for quite literally everyone."

Stadia tech will be upgraded, but ‘you won’t see us talking about it’

"Google touted one huge benefit of cloud gaming was the ability to swap out the hardware behind it when something new is available. John didn’t have anything specific to share, but he said that Google is “definitely working on upgrading every part” of the hardware that powers Stadia. When? We’ll know after it’s actually happened."

Google won’t overpromise for Stadia… anymore

"John and the rest of the Stadia team are making a point not to overpromise anymore. In the 2019 launch of Stadia, Google made huge promises such as 4k60, revolutionary new features, and so much more. Yet, at least, very few of those promises actually panned out which, frankly, is a huge part of the reason why so many people are against Stadia.

John says that this is one of the big lessons Stadia learned in 2020, and that, as a rule, Google is making a point not to talk about features before they’re ready, and that’s something we’ve been seeing. Over the past few months, features like YouTube livestreaming, messaging, Family Sharing, redesigned UIs, and more have been noticed by the community long before Google made a formal announcement. That’ll be the pattern going forward as Google allows word of mouth to make the community happy when these new features are delivered."

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Key points:

Google is working w/ ISPs on Data Caps

"John says that Google is “working” with ISPs on the topic of data caps, either trying to improve those caps or remove them entirely. How will that go? It remains to be seen, but whether you like Stadia or not, that’s the kind of move that is good for quite literally everyone."

Stadia tech will be upgraded, but ‘you won’t see us talking about it’

"Google touted one huge benefit of cloud gaming was the ability to swap out the hardware behind it when something new is available. John didn’t have anything specific to share, but he said that Google is “definitely working on upgrading every part” of the hardware that powers Stadia. When? We’ll know after it’s actually happened."

Google won’t overpromise for Stadia… anymore

"John and the rest of the Stadia team are making a point not to overpromise anymore. In the 2019 launch of Stadia, Google made huge promises such as 4k60, revolutionary new features, and so much more. Yet, at least, very few of those promises actually panned out which, frankly, is a huge part of the reason why so many people are against Stadia.

John says that this is one of the big lessons Stadia learned in 2020, and that, as a rule, Google is making a point not to talk about features before they’re ready, and that’s something we’ve been seeing. Over the past few months, features like YouTube livestreaming, messaging, Family Sharing, redesigned UIs, and more have been noticed by the community long before Google made a formal announcement. That’ll be the pattern going forward as Google allows word of mouth to make the community happy when these new features are delivered."

Nice infos!

Agent X

For those who are looking for the latest announcements and updates for these services, it might be worth mentioning the official news/blog links for them. I'll start with the following:

Stadia Community Blog:

PlayStation.Blog with filter for PlayStation Now:

Agent X

Some highlights from the Stadia community blog post from December 22, 2020:

Stadia is now playable on iOS. You need an iPhone or iPad with iOS version 14.3 or greater. Click here for more information.

Cthulhu Saves Christmas and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds – Breakthrough Edition are available for Stadia Pro members.

Games leaving Stadia Pro after December 31, 2020:

Free games coming to Stadia Pro subscribers beginning January 1, 2021:

• F1 2020 - Open-wheel racing at its finest!
  • Hotline Miami - A fast, visceral top-down shooter that rewards the quick and punishes the hesitant.
  • Figment - A musical journey through the mind.
  • Ary and the Secret of Seasons - A colorful action-RPG that encourages you to explore a mysterious world.

New releases available for purchase in the Stadia store:

• Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - Team up and take down the haunted ruins of the ancient world in this co-op take on Tomb Raider.
  • Enter the Gungeon - Shoot gun-related things with other bigger guns.
  • Reigns - Rule a kingdom one card at a time in this inventive blend of a god game and a card game.

I've played 40 hours of Cyberpunk on my shield tv 2019 edition with GeForce Now and an 8bit do sne30 pro+. It feels like I'm playing on ps4 but runs better.

Rayderism

I can't help but feel they are doing cloud gaming wrong. It seems to me using the cloud as a collaboration between installed files on the hardware AND some streaming of assets would yield better results, and likely be more accepted by gamers. Not to mention providing a sort of automatic DRM for the companies involved.

Hard to explain, and I'm a few beers into the night, but I think some of you guys would kinda get what I'm trying to say. Like, parts of a game related to your input would be installed on your computer, to prevent input lag, while other non-interactive parts could be stream-loaded into memory as needed, while things like cutscenes and other non-interactive bits could be pure streaming. Things like enemy AI could be calculated in the cloud and the relevant data be fed to your computer to make AI almost human-like........like I said, hard to explain. I imagine the biggest hurdle to that would be the wildly varying internet speeds and ping times that people have.

Still.....does that make sense from a "visionary" point of view?

Magog.

Banned
I can't help but feel they are doing cloud gaming wrong. It seems to me using the cloud as a collaboration between installed files on the hardware AND some streaming of assets would yield better results, and likely be more accepted by gamers. Not to mention providing a sort of automatic DRM for the companies involved.

Hard to explain, and I'm a few beers into the night, but I think some of you guys would kinda get what I'm trying to say. Like, parts of a game related to your input would be installed on your computer, to prevent input lag, while other non-interactive parts could be stream-loaded into memory as needed, while things like cutscenes and other non-interactive bits could be pure streaming. Things like enemy AI could be calculated in the cloud and the relevant data be fed to your computer to make AI almost human-like........like I said, hard to explain. I imagine the biggest hurdle to that would be the wildly varying internet speeds and ping times that people have.

Still.....does that make sense from a "visionary" point of view?

That was what Xbox claimed they were going to do with "the cloud." it never happened probably because it's just a bad use of technology.

Fat Frog

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I also think cloud technology could be great for Yakuza games (having permanent cities expanding, enhancing years after years instead of releasing updated version of Kamurocho every year, even downgraded from Judgment to Like a Dragon because hard disk spacespace. Like a more elaborated MMO growing without expansions with better story telling)

Last edited:

Agent X

The January Free Play Days have started on Stadia. Stadia Pro users can play both WWE 2K Battlegrounds and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint for free from Thursday, January 21 at 7:00 AM PT until Monday, January 25 at 9:00 AM PT. If you start playing now, then Stadia will save your progress, so that you can pick up where you left off in case you decide to purchase the game later.

There are also big discounts for both of these games at the moment, with 50% off for WWE 2K Battlegrounds, and 87% off for Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Fat Frog

The January Free Play Days have started on Stadia. Stadia Pro users can play both WWE 2K Battlegrounds and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint for free from Thursday, January 21 at 7:00 AM PT until Monday, January 25 at 9:00 AM PT. If you start playing now, then Stadia will save your progress, so that you can pick up where you left off in case you decide to purchase the game later.

There are also big discounts for both of these games at the moment, with 50% off for WWE 2K Battlegrounds, and 87% off for Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint.
Nice. Madden 21 just arrived on Stadia, could be great deal for the service. (the easiest access to a Madden game, i guess)

How is the port compared to other consoles ?

Agent X

Nice. Madden 21 just arrived on Stadia, could be great deal for the service. (the easiest access to a Madden game, i guess)

Yeah, I saw the notification on my phone.

To clarify, this is another free play weekend for Stadia Pro subscribers. Madden NFL 21 will be playable from Thursday, January 28 at 9:00 AM PT until Monday, February 1 at 8:00 AM PT.

Some more highlights from the Stadia community blog post from January 26, 2021:

Games leaving Stadia Pro after January 31, 2021:

Free games coming to Stadia Pro subscribers beginning February 1, 2021:

• Journey to the Savage Planet: Employee of the Month Edition – This Stadia-exclusive version of Journey to the Savage Planet contains more zany, hilarious space-exploration fun than you can get anywhere else. It’s packed with add-on content and runs at a silky-smooth 60 FPS.
  • Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light – A tomb-raiding cooperative adventure for the ages.
  • Enter the Gungeon – Use guns to fight other guns in a procedurally generated shooter.

New releases available for purchase in the Stadia store:

• Phoenix Point – A fantastic tactical RPG that challenges your critical thinking, strategic vision, and guts. Buy it in the Stadia store for $59.99 USD today.
  • TOHU – Fish planets. Robots. Sacred engines. TOHU is a puzzle adventure that’s truly out of this world. Purchase it in the Stadia store for a special launch price of $13.49 USD (regularly $14.99) starting January 28.
  • Gods Will Fall – Steep yourself in savage third-person combat as you battle loathsome gods in this visceral action epic that’s part ballet, part brawl. Buy it in the Stadia store for $24.99 USD starting January 29.

Fat Frog

Hard time for Stadia and VERY bad communication from Google. (Phil is too abstract, he should announce tons of upcoming releases or partnerships to balance the bomb)

It will be difficult for Amazon to convince if they don't drop H bombs...

I don't worry for GFN though.
Meanwhile at Microsoft:
phil-spencer.original.jpg

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Hard time for Stadia and VERY bad communication from Google. (Phil is too abstract, he should announce tons of upcoming releases or partnerships to balance the bomb)

It will be difficult for Amazon to convince if they don't drop H bombs...

I don't worry for GFN though.
Meanwhile at Microsoft:
phil-spencer.original.jpg
The marketing team mistakes

Fat Frog

Good news, Amazon is evaluating many options such as the Stadia model (buying games) and it will be available on Xcloud one day. (playing without sub)

Fat Frog

i got it when i launched.. i lost access to 10 games within the first 2 weeks
Well, yeah, GFN was fantastic at launch, then quite disapointing since many publishers removed most of their franchises.

Nonetheless the library is getting better and better every days. (smart asses are coordinating on twitter to port beg EGS free games on GFN : We had pillars of Eternity available a few days after the free week on EGS... That's neat)

Last edited:
Top Bottom