• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleared Demon's Souls, quitting Bloodbourne.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's actually can be proven scientificly.
Frame-rate is temporal resolution, if your game requires reaction and skills it will benefit greatly from higher frame-rates. You also get much less input lag. Why do you think sport, shooting, fighting games and platformers, are at 60?
As for looks our TV's are working at 60Hz so for "smooth" motion your game must operate at this refresh rate (60) or half frame rate (30), but in this case one frame are displayed twice, making picture "judder", and input lag is also increased. Devs hiding that with motion blur but still. Also LCD displays having hard time with pixel responce, again it can lead to "judder" that especially noticable with smooth camera motion. And again manufacturers hiding that with all sorts of motion interpolation techniques (frame rate "enchancers" etc).
All that especially important for Souls games because they require fast responses and animations are perfectly done.
I’m not saying 60FPS doesn’t feel better, it absolutely does but it doesn’t mean I would get painful eyes and suddenly unable to play games that runs on 30FPS.

Jokerevo

Banned
Contentious thread warning, I'm sure people are not going to like this but here we go.

I can't play Bloodbourne after Demon's Souls (PS5). Reasons:-

• 30fps hurts my eyes and my soul.
  • Load Times after death (staring at a wall of japanese text, see next point)
  • Japanese language mode stuck even though system settings are English (PS5).

I don't mind the visuals (although they look rough), its the frame rate that is the killer, absolutely ruins the experience.

Is anyone else concerned for Elden Ring, can FromSoftware make a game visually and performance wise on par with Bluepoint? Obviously gameplay is king and From are the kings of this but the whole package.

Edit: I've not played Sekiro, how is the frame rate, load times?
Technically FROM have never been that good at extracting all the juice but yes jumping from Demons to BB was stupid. God knows why you haven;'t played BB before Demon's by now and to be honest you deserve this punishment. It's pretty stupid to expect BB to keep up with PS5 lol. It'll click if you keep persisting but you've now denied yourself one of the greatest console exclusive experiences of all time. I too am waiting for a 60fps update to BB but...man....will we ever get it.

Sekiro is your next stop, it's 60fps and is going to tear you a new one. Without the "training" you would have received from playing BB, you are gonna be posting a completely different take once you play Sekiro :D

I count myself lucky that I played every single FROMsouls game in order of release.

Sekiro was the only one I quit because I got bored of the lack of customisation and the one button gameplay.

Maybe you could try Nioh2. It has a ps5 upgrade and you'll love it if your a buildcraft whore.

Danjin44

Sekiro was the only one I quit because I got bored of the lack of customisation and the one button gameplay.
I never understood this take, Sekiro is an action game it wasn’t trying to be RPG like other Souls series, is FROM only allowed to make same type of game?

Honestly Sekiro is one of my favourite FROM games, it might only have one weapon but the combat felt much better than all Souls games combined.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I never understood this take, Sekiro is an action game it wasn’t trying to be RPG like other Souls series, is FROM only allowed to make same type of game?

Honestly Sekiro is one of my favourite FROM games, it might only have one weapon the combat felt much better than all Souls games combined.

Seriously. The most annoying thing is people faulting Sekiro for not being Souls when it was never ever trying to be, lol. If you weren't following the media and interview pre-launch, it should have been obvious when you played the game. Sekiro's combat makes it hard for me to return to Souls since it's that high quality. I hope they put that much effort into Elden Ring's combat, but I'm not sure. It might be a design thing.

Danjin44

Seriously. The most annoying thing is people faulting Sekiro for not being Souls when it was never ever trying to be, lol. If you weren't following the media and interview pre-launch, it should have been obvious when you played the game. Sekiro's combat makes it hard for me to return to Souls since it's that high quality. I hope they put that much effort into Elden Ring's combat, but I'm not sure. It might be a design thing.
Exactly! Only complain I hear about Sekiro is why it's like not other Souls games, as if FROM only allowed to make one type of game.

Last edited:

Holammer

I played Bloodborne till I reached Cainhurst Castle, then I gave up.
A titanic feat as the judder/framepacing made me tired & nauseous because of an injury that makes my inner ears disagree on how to interpret what's happening in the world. Been waiting for a PC version since.

Any day now.

NikuNashi

What an insult to From, comparing a studio that crafted their whole design aesthetics from scratch to a studio who merely takes all the great designs From has done and gives it a new skin.

That's like the Beatles producing a whole album and someone simply sang a different version of their cover and you asked whether The Beatles can make performance on par with that someone.

Woah hold your horses, I was talking about performance, I said game design is king and from are the kings of that, not insulting them at all.

NikuNashi

I want to know why some people think just because Bluepoint can make pretty graphics they are suddenly better game designer than FROM, to the point that some people think Bluepoint should be one to make sequel to Bloodborne.

Nobody said that, infact I said exactly the opposite and my worry was performance and fidelity not game design. I do not think bluepoint could ever make an original game on par with from. But I do think they are experts on performance, fidelity and visuals.

mansoor1980

94a87edffdfc10bce3f014ab5316dfcf.gif

Danjin44

Nobody said that, infact I said exactly the opposite and my worry was performance and fidelity not game design. I do not think bluepoint could ever make an original game on par with from. But I do think they are experts on performance, fidelity and visuals.
Sure, that doesn't make them good game designers, there is more to games than just graphics. Most Bluepoint portfolio is basically remastering and remaking other people's work, they are not exactly qualified to make sequel to Bloodborne.

Also my last post mostly speaking generally, they are people hoping for Bluepoint to make sequel to Bloodborne.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Too bad, bloodborne is a much better game in so many aspect.

I had nostalgia vision before playing the remake, but not anymore.

If you're more bothered about frame rate then surely PC would be a better platform? I don't care about resolution all that much but if I can play the game at an ideal 144fps then I am happy as ever.

Ogbert

No disagreement from me.

I like BB, but it’s overrated. Personally, I think there’s a bit of Sony fanboyism driving it, as it’s an exclusive. It’s not just the frame rate, rather the frame pacing.

Still, looking forward to the inevitable remaster to play it in its true form.

Skifi28

It's not ideal, but it never bothered me too much if the game is great and there's no better way to play it. I'd like a PS5 remaster or PC version, but until then I'll still keep playing it.

Not sure if your take is any better, to be honest. Sure, From Software can make whatever games they want. But on the flipside, players are also free to ditch them if they don't like them.

I mean, the poster you quoted never said or even implied that From Software shouldn't have made Sekiro, or that people shouldn't play it. Quite the opposite, in fact. They recommended it to the OP. It just wasn't their kind of game.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
What makes bloodborne so good is that the challenge is not only against the game itself but also against the framerate.

We desperately need a PC release and/or a PS5 remaster.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'm also playing on PS5 and haven't had any problems with the language settings or with load times (downloaded to internal drive). And I've spent my life enjoying mostly 30fps Zelda releases, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ethomaz

Banned
Really, just rotating the camera and seeing the background spin hurts my eyes. Is it just me?
Your eyes needs to adapt... takes very few minutes for that... it is the same process when you enter in a dark room that you get used and started to see everything after some minutes.

But hey I can perfectly read books or cellphone text in movement (car, bus, etc)... my wife not.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Geez I remember when we were happily playing arcade and PC ports, with sub par performance.
Don't even get me started on the n64 games.

Now we have the "30fps hurts my eyes" people.
We are reaching a new low every day.
It is just the same "30fps is a slideshow" fud from start of PS4 gen.

NikuNashi

Geez I remember when we were happily playing arcade and PC ports, with sub par performance.
Don't even get me started on the n64 games.

Now we have the "30fps hurts my eyes" people.
We are reaching a new low every day.
I was there on N64 Release day. That was 20 years ago, things change. Your comment is a new low, pointless and a waste of storage space on gaf servers.

NikuNashi

I'm also playing on PS5 and haven't had any problems with the language settings or with load times (downloaded to internal drive). And I've spent my life enjoying mostly 30fps Zelda releases, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What country are you in? I'm in Japan with system settings US English, downloaded from ps+ collection. No option to change the display language (audio is English).

Faithless83

Banned
I was there on N64 Release day. That was 20 years ago, things change. Your comment is a new low, pointless and a waste of storage space on gaf servers.
Woah, salty much?
If the game was broken with bugs I get it, but just because it's 30FPS?
Have you started playing games November 2020?
Or were you a PCMR snowflake that decided to get "your hands dirty" by touching a controller just recently as well?
If not, I can only imagine the horror you've suffered so far.

The option to have 60fps is always nice, but it's not like the end of the world if the game was 30fps locked.

Then again, your lost man, BB is the best soulsborne out there so far.

NikuNashi

Woah, salty much?
If the game was broken with bugs I get it, but just because it's 30FPS?
Have you started playing games November 2020?
Or were you a PCMR snowflake that decided to get "your hands dirty" by touching a controller just recently as well?
If not, I can only imagine the horror you've suffered so far.

The option to have 60fps is always nice, but it's not like the end of the world if the game was 30fps locked.

Then again, your lost man, BB is the best soulsborne out there so far.

Been playing games since 88, yes I played many shitty arcade ports back in the day. The point of the thread was once I moved to next gen and played a souls/bourne game at 60fps it's hard to go back to 30.

mansoor1980

Been playing games since 88, yes I played many shitty arcade ports back in the day. The point of the thread was once I moved to next gen and played a souls/bourne game at 60fps it's hard to go back to 30.
you know what , get rid of every game and just focus on bloodborne , your eyes will adjust if you shut out other games , and once that addiction sinks in no one will stop your bloodborne sessions

AJUMP23

Bloodborne isn't a good game and people loving it more than the Souls games is weird to me. I tried to get into bloodborne but I could not. I ended up hating it.

Faithless83

Banned
So we went from "Hurts my eyes" to hard to go back...
Good, we are playing games since a long time ago.
I'm currently (slowly) going through Demon's Souls and it's impossible not to appreciate the evolution we have witnessed.
From time to time I go back to some old stuff and this kind of complaint is, IMHO the definition of "first world problems".

Faithless83

Banned
Bloodborne isn't a good game and people loving it more than the Souls games is weird to me. I tried to get into bloodborne but I could not. I ended up hating it.
Even the creators believe it's their best work so far.
I would ask why you hated it, but hey, everyone is free to have their opinion.

Md Ray

Problem with Bloodborne isn't the 30fps, yes, it's hard to go back after getting used to 60fps, but the major issue with BB and any 30fps FromSoftware game is the framepacing (microstutter) issue. It's my biggest pet peeve.

I've beaten every single Souls like game out there except Bloodborne. If you want the smoothest combat there is, I would recommend Nioh 2.

It's quite overwhelming for newcomers due to its many layers of systems. But once you get through all that (honestly you don't even need to know much of any of those systems to beat your first playthrough) you'll have an absolute blast with Nioh 2's combat.

Bloodborne was worse at launch before they patched the loading times to be shorter, I think it took ~100s to load each time I died in Yharnam.

On top of that, the irregular frame-pacing and chromatic aberration all combined to give me a headache in my first few hours until my brain eventually 'won' (that's the first true victory for me in BB).

I'd assume everyone can get used to 30fps if they stick with it but the ocular whiplash you get from switching between 60 and 30fps within minutes of each other will lead you to think 30fps is trash.

Mister Wolf

I wouldn't waste my time with it. From Sodtware certainly doesn't give a shit about it. No PRO patch and most certainly no PS5 patch. All Bloodborne and Demon Souls taught them is that its dumb as hell for them to be making exclusive games from a sales perspective.

Saber

Gold Member
Are we living on a time where 30 fps is some kind of monstrosity enought for people to not play a game? No offense, but it sounds like the type of tech fetish people wants nowadays.

Did you guys ever played old games at your childhood? This generation is so annoying.

Last edited:
Valid reasons OP. I can't get back to replaying Bloodborne with that atrocious frameskip and sub 30 fps. Guess you'll have to wait for a PC/PS5 version. I'm sure it'll come eventually.

JeloSWE

Playing games at 30 fps is absolutely possible, it's just a sub par experience once you've tasted higher fps. It's like eating McDonals vs a great restaurant.

I should add that I already own Blood Borne but didn't play it back then as it ended up in the backlog. But now I'm waiting for a 60fps remake instead. I won't touch that game in 30fps, here's hoping for a proper beautify Blue point remake. LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom