• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleared Demon's Souls, quitting Bloodbourne.

NikuNashi

Contentious thread warning, I'm sure people are not going to like this but here we go.

I can't play Bloodbourne after Demon's Souls (PS5). Reasons:-

• 30fps hurts my eyes and my soul.
  • Load Times after death (staring at a wall of japanese text, see next point)
  • Japanese language mode stuck even though system settings are English (PS5).

I don't mind the visuals (although they look rough), its the frame rate that is the killer, absolutely ruins the experience.

Is anyone else concerned for Elden Ring, can FromSoftware make a game visually and performance wise on par with Bluepoint? Obviously gameplay is king and From are the kings of this but the whole package.

Edit: I've not played Sekiro, how is the frame rate, load times?

Last edited:

Aion002

That's a pity. Hopefully there will be a remaster of BB!

Elden Ring will be fine, you shouldn't worry.

Sekiro is 60 fps on next gen if I am not mistaken, loads are fast even on the base ps4, but be warned: Sekiro is a little different from BB and the Souls games, still.. It is an amazing game, you should definitely check it out.

Last edited:

Arsic

Contentious thread warning, I'm sure people are not going to like this but here we go.

I don't mind the visuals (although they look rough), its the frame rate that is the killer, absolutely ruins the experience.

Is anyone else concerned for Elden Ring, can FromSoftware make a game visually and performance wise on par with Bluepoint? Obviously gameplay is king and From are the kings of this but the whole package.

Fire up a YT video of Sekiro.

Even prior to SSD PS5/XSX it has fast load times.

The visuals would make you think a different studio made it. It's a massive upgrade from their other titles.

Elden Ring won't have issues to hang visually IMO.

As for Bloodborne, it's a game where after 15 mins of play I forget it's 30FPS . It's also their best work, and even the studio itself recognizes it as their best game they've made.

Fast load times and nice graphics still leave Demons Souls the weakest of all their games.

Take a few week or month break, then come back to BB with a fresh head. You'll find one of the greatest games ever made.

Justin9mm

Really, just rotating the camera and seeing the background spin hurts my eyes. Is it just me?
Probably something your eyes and mind has to adapt and get used to while playing the game over time. Some games at 30fps just obviously feel worse than others and it doesn't help going from a similar 60fps game.

Personally it bothers me sometimes but often not, I just keep playing and let my eyes adjust. If you give it a chance and can't do that, don't feel bad. It is what it is.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

would be funny if elden ring runs at 30fps kek

Corrik

I can tell you that Demon's Souls would have been unbearable with long loading screens. The quick loading helps the game immensely. That said, I didn't think Demon's Souls was all it was hyped up to be and Bloodbourne was a better game. Even Dark Souls 3.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I can tell you that Demon's Souls would have been unbearable with long loading screens. The quick loading helps the game immensely. That said, I didn't think Demon's Souls was all it was hyped up to be and Bloodbourne was a better game. Even Dark Souls 3.
demon souls is the first souls series, with remake of visuals and minor qol improvement only, so its not surprising that bloodborne and DS3 is better.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
OP, I would say if you are that sensitive to FPS then wouldn't PC better choice for you? In that platform for most part you are guaranteed to 60FPS or even higher.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

I feel the same way after playing Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is (obviously) one of my favorite games of all time.

Sekiro on PS5/XSX is a solid 60FPS and somewhere between 1600p-4k depending on the system you're playing on (I believe PS5 is around 1600p and Xbox Series is full 4k). Visuals are good but not spectacular, nothing on the level of Demon's Souls Remake.

Last edited:

Qaloon

I couldn’t bear playing God of War on the quality mode before the PS5 patch. I much preferred playing it in 1080p/60 even if I wasn’t getting the most out of my new TV.

I felt kind of motion sick with 30 frames.

NikuNashi

OP, I would say if you are that sensitive to FPS then wouldn't PC better choice for you? In that platform for most part you are guaranteed to 60FPS or even higher.
PS5 handled 60fps on Demons really well so I don't see the need going forward to switch to PC, just playing older games it is very jarring to go back to last gen 30fps. Plus the other issues mentioned, game locked in a language I cant read and load times being prohibitive.

NikuNashi

I couldn’t bear playing God of War on the quality mode before the PS5 patch. I much preferred playing it in 1080p/60 even if I wasn’t getting the most out of my new TV.

I felt kind of motion sick with 30 frames.
Exactly, so I am not the only one.

DavidGzz

Elden will be fine, especially since it will be playable on PS4. The XSX and PS5 should have 60fps modes for sure.

DelireMan7

Legit question, really no intend to make fun of anyone :

For those saying that 30 fps make them sick or hurt their eyes, was it always the case (I mean when most of the game were at 30 fps) ?

Honestly I never understood the comments "30 fps is unplayable" but I don't care about technical aspect of games so...
But maybe if someone is used to play 60 fps often, it's hard to come back.

EDIT : I am also really surprised by people saying Elden Ring will be fine visually. I am a huge Fromsoft fan but their are not really known for spectacular visuals. I don't know about framerate but I don't expect groundbreaking visuals.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Legit question, really no intend to make fun of anyone :

For those saying that 30 fps make them sick or hurt their eyes, was it always the case (I mean when most of the game were at 30 fps) ?

Honestly I never understood the comments "30 fps is unplayable" but I don't care about technical aspect of games so...

EDIT : I am also really surprised by people saying Elden Ring will be fine visually. I am a huge Fromsoft fan but their are not really known for spectacular visuals. I don't know about framerate but I don't expect groundbreaking visuals.
Motion is very subjective, there's always a minority of like 20% of people who are very sensitive to motion-related issues, you can see this a lot even for display reviews (TV/monitors etc) or VR. Most people are fine but for some it's actually making them feel sick if it's wrong.

DavidGzz

Never unplayable just hard to go back at first. This gen where you can go back and forth makes 30 fps look even worse. I went from fidelity to performance in Demon's Souls and it was night and day. The graphics didn't even look better but it felt very janky when you spun the camera.

Since I still think Dark Souls 3 looks great on PC, I also think Elden Ring will look awesome. They put a lot of work into art direction.

Danjin44

Extra motion blur when rotating camera, for one.
If it was something like FF Type 0 HD then I would understand.
ZOpOzeP.gif

But I had zero issues with Bloodborne.

rofif

Banned
30fps in bloodborne is the least laggy 30fps I've seen. It's still 30fps but it's very good. Honestly, jaggy 1080p Hurts me more than. 30fps. New demon's souls is much slower in 30fps somehow

DelireMan7

Never unplayable just hard to go back at first. This gen where you can go back and forth makes 30 fps look even worse. I went from fidelity to performance in Demon's Souls and it was night and day. The graphics didn't even look better but it felt very janky when you spun the camera.

Since I still think Dark Souls 3 looks great on PC, I also think Elden Ring will look awesome. They put a lot of work into art direction.
Curious to get a PS5 and try this mode difference. I already watch some comparison videos but don't really see any difference (but seeing it in videos is not the same as playing it)

I agree for the art direction. I love the way looks the Soulsborne and the art direction of them.

luffie

Is anyone else concerned for Elden Ring, can FromSoftware make a game visually and performance wise on par with Bluepoint?
What an insult to From, comparing a studio that crafted their whole design aesthetics from scratch to a studio who merely takes all the great designs From has done and gives it a new skin.

That's like the Beatles producing a whole album and someone simply sang a different version of their cover and you asked whether The Beatles can make performance on par with that someone.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I guess I don’t have oversensitive eyes, I don’t even know how playing games on 30FPS would hurt someone’s eye in the first place.

It depends on how the TV the user is using works and how things are setup.. odd things can happen. I was playing GoT on PS5 and I had left the Cinema custom mode of my LG C9 on (we set it up optimised for Blu-Ray movies to help smooth out the stutter OLED panels have with slow full screen pans at 24Hz) and it really messed with the motion smoothness of the 60 FPS gameplay in a way that became clear once I checked the display settings in the TV.
Biggest difference is the dejudder Settings was enable (set to 1 out of 10).

Danjin44

Bluepoint had the luxury of making a PS5 exclusive. Elden Ring being cross-gen and available on everything makes it an unfair comparison.
What an insult to From, comparing a studio that crafted their whole design aesthetics from scratch to a studio who merely takes all the great designs From has done and gives it a new skin.

That's like the Beatles producing a whole album and someone simply sang a different version of their cover and you asked whether The Beatles can make performance on par with that someone.
I want to know why some people think just because Bluepoint can make pretty graphics they are suddenly better game designer than FROM, to the point that some people think Bluepoint should be one to make sequel to Bloodborne.

SkylineRKR

I platinumed Bloodborne back in 2015 or so but I deleted it off my PS5 within 5 minutes. Its borderline unplayable for me nowadays and the CA looks like trash. This game is in dire need of a clean up. All Souls games are pretty much perfect on PS5 now. Its just BB being the outlier. Elden Ring I suspect will be 30fps if its open world. Just maybe its a 60fps lower fidelity game.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Sekiro is as good as it can get on PC , I'm not worried about Elden Ring .

I'm more worried about OP :messenger_tears_of_joy:. Look , I'm used to 144hz on my PC and couldn't tolerate anything less than 60fps . Bloodborne felt a little sluggish with the frame pacing and 30fps , but there was no other issue other than that .

I have both PS5 and Switch I can play games like Demons Souls and Nier Replicant that run at 60FPS and still play MHRise on Switch (30 FPS) with no problem and no pain in my eyes.
Because you didn't saw MHRise at 60 yet. I especially mentioned "going back to 30 from 60 in one game".

People need to calm down the guys not really dissing Bloodborne.

You played a 60fps title extensively, then played a 30fps title thats pretty similar so it felt a bit janky. It happens, its nothing new, its just your eyes getting used to one thing for awhile, the. you trying play something moving at half that. Like someone else said just take a break and come back to it.

I noticed it when playing a few 60fps titles on my ps5 and series x, then booting up Watch Dogs Legion afterwards.

Just take a break and come back to it, you just need a reset

Danjin44

Because you didn't saw MHRise at 60 yet. I especially mentioned "going back to 30 from 60 in one game".
I can still go back play Demons Souls on my PS3 with no problem. I believe some of you guys either have waaay oversensitive eyes or like to exaggerate to be overdramatic.

Seriously!!! In NeoGAF is the first I heard some people eyes hurts over FPS, thats very bizarre to me.

Last edited:
I can still go back play Demons Souls on my PS3 with no problem. I believe some of you guys either have waaay oversensitive eyes or like to exaggerate to be overdramatic.

Seriously!!! In NeoGAF is the first I heard some people eyes hurts over FPS, thats very bizarre to me.
It's actually can be proven scientificly.
Frame-rate is temporal resolution, if your game requires reaction and skills it will benefit greatly from higher frame-rates. You also get much less input lag. Why do you think sport, shooting, fighting games and platformers, are at 60?
As for looks our TV's are working at 60Hz so for "smooth" motion your game must operate at this refresh rate (60) or half frame rate (30), but in this case one frame are displayed twice, making picture "judder", and input lag is also increased. Devs hiding that with motion blur but still. Also LCD displays having hard time with pixel responce, again it can lead to "judder" that especially noticable with smooth camera motion. And again manufacturers hiding that with all sorts of motion interpolation techniques (frame rate "enchancers" etc).
All that especially important for Souls games because they require fast responses and animations are perfectly done.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
30 fps is rough but you get used to it after a while.

last of us 2 played okay that game was indeed 30

also OP this was the creators original vision and you should respect it 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Top Bottom