• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cleared Demon's Souls (PS5) today. Wow.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Congratulations on joining the club/cult! These games changed my taste in video games forever.

DS1 and DS3 are perfect to play back to back. DS1 might feel pretty dated, but the level design, atmosphere, and DLC knock it out of the park compared to some of the later titles. DS3 is the perfect "sequel" to DS1 and the DLCs have huge lore implications for the ending of the series.

DS2 feels markedly different from the other two, but not necessarily in a good way. I would say that this is probably one I would skip. It's still a good game in its own way, but it seems to lose touch with some of the fundamental design philosophies of the rest the series.

If you're looking to switch things up, Bloodborne is a revolution for Souls-style games. Gone is the way of hiding behind your shield and occasional pokes with your weapon. Pure aggression and well-timed step-dodges is the name of the game. Feels like a dexterity build's wet dream. The lore is also incredible, but I really don't want to spoil any of that.

Sekiro is my personal favorite and switches things up once again. It evolves on the pure aggression from Bloodborne, but has the additional requirement of mastering the deflect/parry mechanic. The boss fights in this game take on an entirely new level of engagement akin to a beautiful dance of moves and countermoves. People consider this the "hardest" game in FromSoftware's lineup, but I would argue the approach to combat is deliberately counter to Dark Soul's flow -- this is one of the main reasons why Souls veterans have so much trouble with it. Ironically, many people initially thought that Bloodborne was difficult because of how much it changed combat mechanics (I had some serious Deja Vu fighting Genichiro ~ Father Gascoigne). The music in Sekiro is also a breath of fresh air after the booming orchestras in Bloodborne + Souls games (which are still great).

However, I will note that if you've been rocking the dexterity build in all of the titles, the transition of Souls -> Bloodborne -> Sekiro feels like a natural evolution that caters to this style of play. I would speculate that Miyazaki himself mains a dex build.

Good luck, have fun, and git gud.

Last edited:
I am in no way a great player and struggled a lot on bosses in the other games, I relied on summoning assistance help. The smooth 60fps made the fighting so much better and easier I was able to solo the game. Previous games you fought against the frame rate as much as the bosses themselves.

sublimit

Banned
Congratulations on joining the club/cult! These games changed my taste in video games forever.

DS1 and DS3 are perfect to play back to back. DS1 might feel pretty dated, but the level design, atmosphere, and DLC knock it out of the park compared to some of the later titles. DS3 is the perfect "sequel" to DS1 and the DLCs have huge lore implications for the ending of the series.

DS2 feels markedly different from the other two, but not necessarily in a good way. I would say that this is probably one I would skip. It's still a good game in its own way, but it seems to lose touch with some of the fundamental design philosophies of the rest the series.

If you're looking to switch things up, Bloodborne is a revolution for Souls-style games. Gone is the way of hiding behind your shield and occasional pokes with your weapon. Pure aggression and well-timed step-dodges is the name of the game. Feels like a dexterity build's wet dream. The lore is also incredible, but I really don't want to spoil any of that.

Sekiro is my personal favorite and switches things up once again. It evolves on the pure aggression from Bloodborne, but has the additional requirement of mastering the deflect/parry mechanic. The boss fights in this game take on an entirely new level of engagement that is akin to a beautiful dance of moves and countermoves. People consider this the "hardest" game in FromSoftware's lineup, but I would argue the approach to combat is deliberately counter to Dark Soul's flow -- this is one of the main reasons why Souls veterans have so much trouble with it. Ironically, many people initially thought that Bloodborne was difficult because of how much it changed combat mechanics (I had some serious Deja Vu fighting Genichiro ~ Father Gascoigne). The music in Sekiro is also a breath of fresh air after the booming orchestras in Bloodborne + Souls games (which are still great).

However, I will note that if you've been rocking the dexterity build in all of the titles, the transition of Souls -> Bloodborne -> Sekiro feels like a natural evolution that caters to this style of play. I would speculate that Miyazaki himself mains a dex build in his titles.

I think it's wrong to include Sekiro in the Soulsborne games.Very different game at its core even if it shares some elements with Bloodborne.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I finished PS5 Demon's soul a few weeks ago, after not be able to beat it on PS3 10+ years ago (i loved it but it was a bit too hardcore for me at the times). Meanwhile the last 10 years I managed to beat DS1, DS2 and Bloodborne, almost finished DS3 (great but some boss tired me and i've give up near the end). Sekiro i tried, love it but can't progress it doesn't click at all. After the fire bull i was unable to beat a single boss.

I would love a DLC for DS with the sixth Archstone rebuild and an expanded world with it.

Not sure if Sony won't make a sequel from a "moral" point of view as they own the IP. Can imagine how great it'll be on a newer engine with refined animations.
We already have a lot of sequels from different developers. The only thing that matters is if the game is good or not, eventually every franchise could be developed by different creators just like in the movie industry. Gaming is a young media, we still have around the same people that pioneered the industry.
For example Silent Hill and Crash changed a lot of developers already, but if you care to search you'll find a lot of cases of sequels developed by new studios. I remember the Dark Alliance games, or Halo, Fable, Age of Empires, Dead Rising, Tomb Raider, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein, Assassin's Creed, etc... Sometimes we have spin off or direct sequels, multiple titles froma media franchise like Star Wars, on the other hand we can have an original creator coming up with a spiritual successor without owning the original ip.
There's no thing like morals, it's just business. The only thing that matter is if the game is good or not. But somehow I can imagine that some people will whine just for a Demon's Souls 2 while enjoying their all new -insert gaming or movie franchise developed from a new studio or crew-.

Last edited:
Demon's Souls stays as relevant as it was 12 years ago if not more. The formula simply works. Granted, it needs a refresh and hopefully Elden Ring brings a balance of innovative twists as well as some core elements that makes up its trademark.

Last edited:
Not sure if Sony won't make a sequel from a "moral" point of view as they own the IP. Can imagine how great it'll be on a newer engine with refined animations.

Why not?. Developers do it all the time. 343 is making Halo, Activision making Crash Bandicoot, etc. Even studios with the same name don't still have any of the original creators of franchises they are making sequels for.

Vol5

Sekiro is my personal favorite and switches things up once again. It evolves on the pure aggression from Bloodborne, but has the additional requirement of mastering the deflect/parry mechanic. The boss fights in this game take on an entirely new level of engagement that is akin to a beautiful dance of moves and countermoves. People consider this the "hardest" game in FromSoftware's lineup, but I would argue the approach to combat is deliberately counter to Dark Soul's flow -- this is one of the main reasons why Souls veterans have so much trouble with it. Ironically, many people initially thought that Bloodborne was difficult because of how much it changed combat mechanics (I had some serious Deja Vu fighting Genichiro ~ Father Gascoigne). The music in Sekiro is also a breath of fresh air after the booming orchestras in Bloodborne + Souls games (which are still great).

However, I will note that if you've been rocking the dexterity build in all of the titles, the transition of Souls -> Bloodborne -> Sekiro feels like a natural evolution that caters to this style of play. I would speculate that Miyazaki himself mains a dex build in his titles.

I completed Sekiro two nights ago after what must have been 50+ attempts at the final boss. Dived straight into NG+. This game has it all. Top tier story telling, amazing world building, insane level design, quality music and obviously the fight mechanics. For me, it's From Software's best title in that genre and the one that provides the most satisfaction after enemy encounters. Plays on PS5 at 60fps which elevates it even further.

Last edited:
I completed Sekiro two nights ago after what must have been 50+ attempts at the final boss. Dived straight into NG+. This game has it all. Top tier story telling, amazing world building, insane level design, quality music and obviously the fight mechanics. For me, it's From Software's best title in that genre and the one that provides the most satisfaction after enemy encounters. Plays on PS5 at 60fps which elevates it even further.
To be fair, Sekiro is quite excellent but it's not a "Soulsborne" game. For one, it's not an RPG, while r
all the other Miyazaki's titles definitely are, that alone changes the formula to its core. Sekiro gives you many gadgets and abilities that can help you mix up the combat quite a bit, but more predominantly, you'll find there's a way to "play it right", and in that sense your gameplay options are not as numerous as in a Soulsborne game where you can beat the challenges in many, many different ways not even trying to be crazy or overtly hardcore.

Last edited:

Hoppa

I'm still stuck on the red knight lol. I've probably spent like 3 hours in total in this game and it's all me dying to that fuckin knight and rage quitting

aisback

Congrats on finishing it.
I managed to do it a few months ago and it felt so good. Being that it's one of the most approachable souls games it makes it that much better.

8bitpill

Gold Member
Welcome to the fold.

sde0Atg.gif

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
I think it's wrong to include Sekiro in the Soulsborne games.Very different game at its core even if it shares some elements with Bloodborne.
Understandable. Personally, I really look at them all as a different games entirely. Bloodborne and Souls share a lot more in common with each other and so more people tend to lump them together as Soulsborne. With Sekiro, most of the RPG elements have been toned down or removed entirely and the focus is on a specific style of combat.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I'm still stuck on the red knight lol. I've probably spent like 3 hours in total in this game and it's all me dying to that fuckin knight and rage quitting

Though you can, you're not really supposed to kill him that early on. I'd come back later, after you've gained a dozen or so levels and have become more familiar with the combat.

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

Congratulations.
I don't have a PS5 but i beat the original game.
One of the best games of all time.
And Maiden in Black is a cute waifu :

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It is an excellent game. But I don’t want to touch it again after platinuming it, 😅
As much as I enjoyed Demons Souls the bosses are not that fun to re-fight them. Lot of them have interesting gimmick to them but once you know that gimmick the become very one note fight. The game’s dungeons are the biggest highlight rather than the boss fights.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I'd like to try it but I'm not paying $90 canadian for it, Sony let me know when it's $40.

Last edited:
Top Bottom