• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Claybook dev/creator says ML is a misunderstood buzzword.

I see your still spreading fud, if you dont know how good ps5 is in ml then why even question it. And anout the ssd weve already seen unreal 5, ratchet and clank and demon souls, so you can keep up the fud and keep making urself a clown.

It's not FUD to question a feature that has not been fully confirmed by an official source; if or when Sony states that PS5 supports lower-precision ML that isn't FP16, then that'll put a cap on that. Until then, we are fully within our right to speculate if it's present or not, as no official word has come on that front.

This is NOT the same thing as saying PS5 does not support ML, as we know it needs at least FP16 support for PS4 Pro BC, and even without that specific hardware support you can generically run ML inference on compute shaders. I don't see why you're deliberating trying to conflate and misunderstand this 🤷‍♂️

Also the misunderstandings surrounding the SSD I was referring to are those who still believe SSDs are equivalent or at a similar level to the actual CPU and GPU when it comes to rendering capability; there are people who still think it's like a 2nd mini-GPU and conflate SSD processes with rendering processes handled by the GPU. Those are the misconceptions I am speaking of.

Pretty much, ever since the marriage of marketing and technology in the console space, multiple buzzwords have appeared to try to get a person to buy one console over the one from the competition.

People don't understand what ML does, how it does it and it this point it's kind of like magic for the lay person. It's just a funny thing that still there are people in this forum that are expecting the Xbox One to have a second GPU to let it perform far beyond the PS4...oh, sorry, wrong decade, the XBX to have something to let it perform far beyond the PS5.

Well, if you knew what you were talking about then you'd know we're speaking of ML inference not some generic ML terminology being tossed around (inference is different from model training). The exaggeration regarding ML some put on Series X can be applied to the exaggeration regarding the SSD some put on the PS5, but I think one is more egregious than the other in most instances (that would be the latter).

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What nonesense did i babble? Can you please show me. Cause it seems u just jumped off ur seat and exploded like a nuke.
It's not that big of a thread, just scroll a bit up.. you want me to quote it for you or something?

The sentence you wrote makes no sense... someone asked about why you'd do ML training on a console. Your response was nonsense.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Mark Cerny waits for moments like these so he can surprise people at the next PS event.

tenor.gif

Azurro

Banned
Well, if you knew what you were talking about then you'd know we're speaking of ML inference not some generic ML terminology being tossed around (inference is different from model training). The exaggeration regarding ML some put on Series X can be applied to the exaggeration regarding the SSD some put on the PS5, but I think one is more egregious than the other in most instances (that would be the latter).

Well, I don't want to get too much into this because it's not very productive, but I think a crucial difference is that the actual speed of the SSD and the I/O subsytem and its benefits were discussed at length and actual results can already be seen, while the idea that PS5 doesn't have hw support for while the XSX does is based on old FUD, "the PS5 is RDNA 1.5". I still remember the Xbox camp here swore PS5 had no hw ray tracing support, until it did.

So yeah, it's a false equivalence and I do have to admit, MS does get its audience engaged and is very good at it, their fans get hyped with their overuse of buzzwords that are mostly exaggerations for marketing purposes. They managed to get their fanbase to believe them being behind on writing a newer version of their API meant that their hardware was newer and better, for example.

Specifically how is the XsX more specialized for ML?

It isn't, it's his version of "the Xbox Series X has a second GPU that just needs to be unlocked, you'll see". :)

Last edited:

demigod

And do you know the difference! Or are you creating more fud! That will soon be debunked..
He doesn’t even remember what he posts, lol.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I love how ML is now defined as neural nets. That's why these technical terms lose all meaning when it gets to Twitter.

It's not that big of a thread, just scroll a bit up.. you want me to quote it for you or something?

The sentence you wrote makes no sense... someone asked about why you'd do ML training on a console. Your response was nonsense.
Your argument makes no sense.! Ur the one blabbing here.

It's not FUD to question a feature that has not been fully confirmed by an official source; if or when Sony states that PS5 supports lower-precision ML that isn't FP16, then that'll put a cap on that. Until then, we are fully within our right to speculate if it's present or not, as no official word has come on that front.

This is NOT the same thing as saying PS5 does not support ML, as we know it needs at least FP16 support for PS4 Pro BC, and even without that specific hardware support you can generically run ML inference on compute shaders. I don't see why you're deliberating trying to conflate and misunderstand this 🤷‍♂️

Also the misunderstandings surrounding the SSD I was referring to are those who still believe SSDs are equivalent or at a similar level to the actual CPU and GPU when it comes to rendering capability; there are people who still think it's like a 2nd mini-GPU and conflate SSD processes with rendering processes handled by the GPU. Those are the misconceptions I am speaking of.

Weve seen what ssds streaming directly to video memory can do with unreal 5 and also an old tech from amd called SSG! its actually the biggest advancement in gaming since 3d, but all the false advertisement from series x fanatics is no where to be seen, the superior teraflops, ml advantage, rdna 2 advantage, sampler feedback, vrs, its all buzzwords, the point of my post was to debunk all the fanatics who said ml wasnt hardware supported on ps5, when infact it is.

The exaggeration regarding ML some put on Series X can be applied to the exaggeration regarding the SSD some put on the PS5, but I think one is more egregious than the other in most instances (that would be the latter).
How is the latter somehow "worse" in your expert opinion? The first one still has not been demonstrated in any way we can compare the two, which is true for the SSD as well, but we know the order of the difference.

Well, I don't want to get too much into this because it's not very productive, but I think a crucial difference is that the actual speed of the SSD and the I/O subsytem and its benefits were discussed at length and actual results can already be seen,

I mean, they KIND of can, but we also know that you DON'T need SSDs at the speed of PS5's or even the Series systems (in terms of raw sequential read speeds anyway) to get fast load times because several PS4 games were updated to have massive I/O gains on base PS4 systems....and those are using SATA II (maybe SATA III at best) drives.

while the idea that PS5 doesn't have hw support for while the XSX does is based on old FUD, "the PS5 is RDNA 1.5".

This is conflation; hw support in relation to what specifically? RT? I think vast majority assumed they had hw RT support when Cerny said as such way back in an interview. The question was if Sony were using AMD RT or some custom RT due to Oberon regression tests not showing RT enabled (because doing so would cause the tests to fail at that time).

...which was a speculation that never made too much sense because it hinged on a separate processor block connected to the main one without any available means of high bandwidth to not bottleneck the system altogether. But hey, that was early days of 10th-gen speculation.

I still remember the Xbox camp here swore PS5 had no hw ray tracing support, until it did.

You're massively exaggerating "the Xbox camp"; why would you take a few rogues saying that to be indicative of the entire Xbox community, including those who actually play on multiple platforms (which is a lot)? We can just as easily take a few PS extremists statements from around that time regarding the Series X that they swore were (made up) gospel until info came out to disprove it (such as Series systems having no dedicated audio, or the segmented bandwidth causing "regular" drops to sub-224 GB/s memory bandwidth averages, etc.), should we use that to admonish the entire PlayStation fanbase community here?

So yeah, it's a false equivalence and I do have to admit, MS does get its audience engaged and is very good at it,

Now you're suggesting Microsoft pays to spread FUD, yet there's not a single bit of proof. Taking a minority of fanboys' actions as indicative of official endorsement by a mega-conglomerate is all types of whoops.

their fans get hyped with their overuse of buzzwords that are mostly exaggerations for marketing purposes.

You mean like the SFS, etc. stuff they had working, tangible demos showing off today at GameStack?

They managed to get their fanbase to believe them being behind on writing a newer version of their API meant that their hardware was newer and better, for example.

You mean like the features they went into more details today at Game Stack, in relation to system features dependent on AMD (Super Resolution, still not available yet) and transition from XDK to GDK that numerous people in the industry (including those who mainly focus on Sony-related rumors) concurred on as being an actual thing?

How many whoops is that for you now?

Weve seen what ssds streaming directly to video memory can do with unreal 5 and also an old tech from amd called SSG!

One is a demo and the other was barely used by commercial video games :/

its actually the biggest advancement in gaming since 3d,

Uh, only if you are tech-ignorant, I guess :/

but all the false advertisement from series x fanatics is no where to be seen, the superior teraflops, ml advantage, rdna 2 advantage, sampler feedback, vrs, its all buzzwords,

It's barely six months into a new generation; devs are still using older pipelines and have not began to optimize for the new systems yet. When they begin to, we should start to see the benefits of each system's design choices come into play and for the Series platforms, that's seemingly in the form of a bigger focus on ML, raw compute, SFS etc (btw it's hard to call some of these buzzwords when they are literally demoing them in practice at technology events...whoops).

the point of my post was to debunk all the fanatics who said ml wasnt hardware supported on ps5, when infact it is.

You haven't debunked anything because "all the fanatics" were a vocal minority; further along that end if anyone has speculated if PS5 supports ML inference of precisions lower than FP16 they are well within their right to do so as Sony have yet to confirm their system supports this (and it looks increasingly likely they will never confirm nor deny it).

How is the latter somehow "worse" in your expert opinion? The first one still has not been demonstrated in any way we can compare the two, which is true for the SSD as well, but we know the order of the difference.

1: I'm not an expert, no need to be facetious .

2: Yes, neither have been fully demonstrated but it's funny that in both cases we still effectively work with paper specs yet for you the latter is a known quantity based on majority paper specifications. So far SSD performance has been remarkably similar between Sony and Microsoft's designs with majority of advantages on PS5 being relatively meaningless in terms of QoL impact and a lot not reflective of the gap given in the paper specifications whatsoever (across games available on both platforms).

OTOH there have been more than a small number of scenarios with Series platforms having better times, and although this is with the majority of the I/O software stack not being leveraged on either platform, it does demonstrate that Microsoft's solution will perform a lot more competitively in practice than what paper specifications indicate

Yes, neither have been fully demonstrated but it's funny that in both cases we still effectively work with paper specs yet for you the latter is a known quantity based on majority paper specifications. So far SSD performance has been remarkably similar between Sony and Microsoft's designs with majority of advantages on PS5 being relatively meaningless in terms of QoL impact and a lot not reflective of the gap given in the paper specifications whatsoever (across games available on both platforms).
That is the story of the generation.

VFXVeteran

Banned
True. Neither console has dedicated hardware for Machine Learning.

If either console performs ML related tasks, they consume GPU that would have used for other processes. I think APIs will play a somewhat crucial role here.
Bingo! That's the gist of the argument. Nothing is free. That's why Nvidia chose to make hardware RT and hardware Tensor cores to help out and not bottleneck the SMUs.

Last edited:
I mean, they KIND of can, but we also know that you DON'T need SSDs at the speed of PS5's or even the Series systems (in terms of raw sequential read speeds anyway) to get fast load times because several PS4 games were updated to have massive I/O gains on base PS4 systems....and those are using SATA II (maybe SATA III at best) drives.

This is conflation; hw support in relation to what specifically? RT? I think vast majority assumed they had hw RT support when Cerny said as such way back in an interview. The question was if Sony were using AMD RT or some custom RT due to Oberon regression tests not showing RT enabled (because doing so would cause the tests to fail at that time).

...which was a speculation that never made too much sense because it hinged on a separate processor block connected to the main one without any available means of high bandwidth to not bottleneck the system altogether. But hey, that was early days of 10th-gen speculation.

You're massively exaggerating "the Xbox camp"; why would you take a few rogues saying that to be indicative of the entire Xbox community, including those who actually play on multiple platforms (which is a lot)? We can just as easily take a few PS extremists statements from around that time regarding the Series X that they swore were (made up) gospel until info came out to disprove it (such as Series systems having no dedicated audio, or the segmented bandwidth causing "regular" drops to sub-224 GB/s memory bandwidth averages, etc.), should we use that to admonish the entire PlayStation fanbase community here?

Now you're suggesting Microsoft pays to spread FUD, yet there's not a single bit of proof. Taking a minority of fanboys' actions as indicative of official endorsement by a mega-conglomerate is all types of whoops.

You mean like the SFS, etc. stuff they had working, tangible demos showing off today at GameStack?

You mean like the features they went into more details today at Game Stack, in relation to system features dependent on AMD (Super Resolution, still not available yet) and transition from XDK to GDK that numerous people in the industry (including those who mainly focus on Sony-related rumors) concurred on as being an actual thing?

How many whoops is that for you now?

One is a demo and the other was barely used by commercial video games :/

Uh, only if you are tech-ignorant, I guess :/

It's barely six months into a new generation; devs are still using older pipelines and have not began to optimize for the new systems yet. When they begin to, we should start to see the benefits of each system's design choices come into play and for the Series platforms, that's seemingly in the form of a bigger focus on ML, raw compute, SFS etc (btw it's hard to call some of these buzzwords when they are literally demoing them in practice at technology events...whoops).

You haven't debunked anything because "all the fanatics" were a vocal minority; further along that end if anyone has speculated if PS5 supports ML inference of precisions lower than FP16 they are well within their right to do so as Sony have yet to confirm their system supports this (and it looks increasingly likely they will never confirm nor deny it).

1: I'm not an expert, no need to be facetious .

2: Yes, neither have been fully demonstrated but it's funny that in both cases we still effectively work with paper specs yet for you the latter is a known quantity based on majority paper specifications. So far SSD performance has been remarkably similar between Sony and Microsoft's designs with majority of advantages on PS5 being relatively meaningless in terms of QoL impact and a lot not reflective of the gap given in the paper specifications whatsoever (across games available on both platforms).

OTOH there have been more than a small number of scenarios with Series platforms having better times, and although this is with the majority of the I/O software stack not being leveraged on either platform, it does demonstrate that Microsoft's solution will perform a lot more competitively in practice than what paper specifications indicate
First of all the fast io isnt about faster loading screens its about streaming assets in realtime and mark cerny explained this in length, but as usual ignorant people always talk about loading screens, and it doesnt matter if ue5 was a demo it showed what you can do with the ps5s io which was impossible to do on anything at the time, and it isnt just ue5 weve seen it on ratchet and clank, and demon souls streaming huge textures and meshes before you turn a corner go look at the df tech interview, thats facts

And secondly why are you saying that microsofts fratures arent just yet utilised because its just been 6 months but claim the ps5s ssd wont have any significant impact in future games! This proves your ignorant bias. The fact of the matter is weve seen what ps5s ssd can do but havent seen anything from series x buzzword features!

And yes the ps5s ssd and io is the biggest advancement since 3d its not my words but multiple developers have said that, having to bridge the gap between storage and ram, and use storage as one huge pool of ram is phenomenal. Go ask any graphics engineer and hell tell you memory of all things is the utmost requirement not vrs and sfs🤣🤣🤣

BabyYoda

Banned
In the hot chips conference, Microsoft mentioned this (taken from wccftech):

"In a separate slide titled 'Other tricks', Microsoft confirmed that machine learning inference acceleration hardware is available on the Xbox Series X for 'resolution scaling'. We already knew that the engineers added 'special hardware support' for 8-bit and 4-bit integer operations, which are often enough for inference algorithms, and the Xbox Series X is capable of 9 TOPS for 8-bit integer operations and 97 TOPS for 4-bit integer operations according to the official spec sheet."

The question is, does the PS5 have the same ML capabilities/customisations? AFAIK the custom tech in the Series X for ML is exclusive, but I cannot confirm that.

Putting aside the obvious advantage the Series X has because of a lot more silicon, although I'm sure the PS5's higher clocks will play a part.

Top Bottom