• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classical Music GAF

Are contemporary works fine?
This is my favourite minimalist piece. There's no youtube version of this recording, so I have to link to spotify. It's a piece that builds very slowly, and doesn't have a lot of melody, so if you check it out then give it a few minutes :)

Simeon ten Holt: Canto Ostinato - Tomoko Mukaiyama

I'm listening now. Awesome. I love music that lasts and builds. Like Godspeed. Thanks for sharing. I opened the Wikipedia page for this, and wow, I'm always surprised at what exists - growing sections, repeated at will, wow.

I kind of wish I didn't look at the Wiki page and just let the music wash over me. Will try to relax and enjoy, even though I'm at work now, so closing my eyes, and dreaming off might not be best!

nikolino840

Listen at 1:55 and at 3:30 another Better One

And then listen to this

QIJ9RhQ.jpg

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love classical music, I go to concerts every year. My favorite will always be Carmina Burana, I've seen it live many times, I'll never tire of it, even at its length of a little over an hour.

But my favorite is probably Bach. Something about the sound of his work just resonates with me. It takes me to another time and place more than any other composer.

Some other random pieces I love:

Last edited:

eot

Banned
I'm listening now. Awesome. I love music that lasts and builds. Like Godspeed. Thanks for sharing. I opened the Wikipedia page for this, and wow, I'm always surprised at what exists - growing sections, repeated at will, wow.

I kind of wish I didn't look at the Wiki page and just let the music wash over me. Will try to relax and enjoy, even though I'm at work now, so closing my eyes, and dreaming off might not be best!
Glad you liked it! Yeah it's a cool piece, but that's why I wanted to link a specific performance, they can differ a lot

Makariel

I'll try to apply for a ticket to the new years concert this year, with the registration window going throughout february:

Prices start at reasonable 20 Euros for the preview performance. I'm definitely not going for the 1200 € bigwig-tickets lol. Since it's an actual lottery I don't expect to get one, but if I would, there's worse things to do for new years than spending a few days in Vienna.

kurashu

Neo Member
Heya , new here (first post).

Wanted to add my contribution to this:

Love all the stuff posted so far, love classical (in the general term) music but also got a lot into Baroque/Renaissance and even Medieval.

Jordi Savall is one that I've been listening to a lot and his soundtrack for the movie Tout les Matins du Monde (All the mornings of the world):

(it features Gerard Depardieu and his son Guillaume, who died in 2008).
There's the Spotify album (couldn't manage to link)

Here he is performing:

Sorry if this detracts too much from the classical, but wanted to share.

Tesseract

Banned
Any tips for getting started playing piano? Currently working my way through a few books but maybe y'all got better tips (like, must do's and donuts).

yeah, step through the fundamentals until it's in your blood

use that book, trust me when i tell you it's the best

feel free to supplement with synthesia but don't rely on the visual indicators or you'll develop terrible habits

what kinda piano you using? i've been playing for about 9 years, self taught with the book linked, youtube videos, and overwhelming amounts of will

Last edited:

ROMhack

yeah, step through the fundamentals until it's in your blood

use that book, trust me when i tell you it's the best

feel free to supplement with synthesia but don't rely on the visual indicators or you'll develop terrible habits

what kinda piano you using? i've been playing for about 9 years, self taught with the book linked, youtube videos, and overwhelming amounts of will

Thanks man. I got distracted and went back to guitar in the end as I'm semi-competent and thought it might be good to get better.

I'm doing an online course in music theory now which teaches a lot of fundamentals. It's super helpful for understanding how music is constructed.

The keyboard I use is basically for children:

5401381_R_Z001A_UC691079

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Thanks man. I got distracted and went back to guitar in the end as I'm semi-competent and thought it might be good to get better.

I'm doing an online course in music theory now which teaches a lot of fundamentals. It's super helpful for understanding how music is constructed.

The keyboard I use is basically for children:

5401381_R_Z001A_UC691079

music theory is everything, its teacher is the universe and the language and symbols are written in mathematics

what worked for me at 26yo, completely green, was picking a classical song i liked and learning how to read it on sheet until memorized enough to play and manipulate at will / beat and measure

fur elise for basics, moonlight presto agitato advanced

Last edited:

ROMhack

music theory is everything, its teacher is the universe and the language and symbols are written in mathematics

what worked for me at 26yo, completely green, was picking a classical song i liked and learning how to read it on sheet until memorized enough to play and manipulate at will / beat and measure

fur elise for basics, moonlight presto agitato advanced

Interesting, how long did it take for you to read sheet music comfortably? I can read it myself, as in I know where everything goes (EGBDF / FACE) but it still takes me a long time to go through it and I'm nowhere close to being comfortable speed reading.

I expect it's just a case of getting familiar because I can read guitar tablature with perfect ease.

I'll try your technique following one song - probably Fur Elise to start with.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Interesting, how long did it take for you to read sheet music comfortably? I can read it myself, as in I know where everything goes (EGBDF / FACE) but it still takes me a long time to go through it and I'm nowhere close to being comfortable speed reading.

I expect it's just a case of getting familiar because I can read guitar tablature with perfect ease.

took a couple months before it was second nature, thinking about it all the time, endless nights on the internet and in books, grinding out fur elise and moonlight sonata every night after work

i'd only ever studied music in florida's public elementary, had to pack in a lot of data

Last edited:

ROMhack

took a couple months before it was second nature, thinking about it all the time, endless nights on the internet and in books, grinding out fur elise and moonlight sonata every night after work

i'd only ever studied music in florida's public elementary, had to pack in a lot of data

I'm still trying to work out how to reach that banana.

Kev Kev

i went back to school for music, principal instrument guitar, and im playing form a book that has a lot of pieces that sound very classical, but also have a more modern approach as to be versatile for guitar players on any style. i mostly study jazz, but still, even a lot of jazz guitarists wind up studying classical at least a little bit. so over the last two years, ive checked out my fair share of classical guitaris players. i dont have any favorites or anything, but its always so impressive to me.

I posted a guy playing tifas theme from ffvii earlier in the thread. and while hes not technically playing a "classical" piece, you can tell the dude has serious chops, and likely has training in classical music.

here is an example of something more traditionally classical...

one thing i notice about classical guitar players is the ridiculous chord shapes they can make. there are plenty of examples in the video above.

so, back to myself! i was playing through a piece today and came to the most ridiculous chord shape ive played thus far. its nothing compared to what real classical guitar players have to do, but at any rate i took a picture of it...

opMZxxO.jpg

dont laugh at me! its hard for me and ive only been playing a couple years lol. anyway, i feel proud of myself in a weird kind of way. also, i beleive it's a C7 +9 +13 or maybe C7(9)(13)... not sure if that's the right way to write that, maybe a fellow musical gaffer can help me out?

and here's the chord itself as well as the piece im playing

D4XFjtV.png

this chord is found 3 measures from the end, and the numbers next to it correspond to the finger you use on your fret hand (first finger = 1, middle finger = 2, etc...)

3OpFxpx.png

maybe ill post a video of me playing it once i get it under my fingers. its definitely the hardest piece ive ever played... so yeah, no promises on that video anytime soon lol.

here is someone else playing it if youd like to follow along. the guy plays it beautifully and adds a little somethin on the end. great guitar tone too, nto the best video quality though. anyway, hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
New to the piano (nearly 4 months) I am trying to play Moonlight Sonata. This is a a simplified version but still pretty hard. I love this piece so much

Rien

Jelly Belly
no, completely unrelated

you should stay fit to avoid repetitive stress and the like

Thanx buddy, hope your injuries are gone now :)

I am fit to a certain degree. Stress is a killer when wanting to play a instrument I found out. I (try to) play the saxophone as well but it’s almost Impossible for me to play it really proper when I’m stressed. Couldnt play for 6 months after me gf broke up with me.
Besides my back problems (2 scolioses) I’m finding myself a lot more often complete relaxed behind the piano. It helps that I play every day as well I think

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm in an Opera craze as of late. One of my faves O Mio Babbino Caro (from Il Trittico).

Also I love Summertime from Porgy and Bess, dunno if it counts as Classical/Opera:

Top Bottom