• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classical Music GAF

LarknThe4th

This seems like a classy thread, anyway seeing as we have some players in here I was wondering.

What are the main tactile differences between playing a real full blooded piano and a keyboard?

Been listening to Beethoven for two weeks now, mainly the early piano sonatas and the early symphonies. Wonderful stuff and I never knew classical music and Beethoven was like, good, you know? Probably because it's nowhere to listen to generally and made out to be boring.

I particularly like the fast stuff, for instance the end of the Piano Sonata 1, 4th Movement.

I've got over the feeling like I'm in a war movie or a psycho and just enjoying the music.

Anyway, reading up a bit on Wikipedia about the sonata, it baffles my mind that one needs to understand the copy-pasted below to get the beauty out of it.

Also, I read online an opera singer saying the beauty in the music lies in comparing the composers against other composers, or their earlier works. But this doesn't make sense: if that was the case then one might as well listen to modern music, like Radiohead, because they changed and improved a lot, and then compare them to Muse or Coldplay. Can't a listener just enjoy the music without understanding the context? Also, despite having some knowledge of music theory and practice, there's no way I could ever listen to Beethoven and "hear" what Wikipedia describes below!

So, I'm just trying to ignore the metacommentary and just listen. Maybe read a book on Beethoven, but that's enough.

Cheers to 3 more months of classical music.

Wikipedia on Piano Sonata 1, 4th Movement:

A transitional passage modulates to the dominant-minor key, where a more lyrical but still agitated theme is presented twice. It is noteworthy that Beethoven chose the dominant-minor key as the secondary key, instead of the more conventional relative major. The exposition closes emphatically on C minor, with iterations of the first subject chordal motif.

The recapitulation reprises the whole exposition nearly identically (apart from very slight changes in dynamics and voicings), but significantly all the material is now re-stated in the tonic key (F minor), as would be expected of any conventional sonata form. The movement ends on a fortissimo eighth-note-triplet descending arpeggio, perhaps to give a symmetrical ending to a sonata that opened with a raising arpeggio.

Edit: I remember an interview with Joe Satriani in front of a bunch of fans, and he says he was miffed that no one spotted on one of his albums that all the songs purposefully started with a raising scale. But he refused to say which album lol. Maybe it's not important to "see" the theory to appreciate the beauty.

the copy-paste describes what is actually going on in structure and harmony

it's just the grammar of music. You don't need to know theoretical grammar to talk or listen to others, but helps breaking up the discourse and analysing it. If you're into music enough, you cease being just a fan and end up knowing a thing or two about its grammar.

Beethoven is my favorite.

This seems like a classy thread, anyway seeing as we have some players in here I was wondering.

What are the main tactile differences between playing a real full blooded piano and a keyboard?

a common and cheap keyboard has weightless organ-like keys. The piano has graded keys with weights and real hammers hitting metal cords the by the amount you hit the keys. Digital pianos have no hammers nor cords, but still simulate those hammers with weights. It's what gives piano its name: a keyboard with pianos (low) and fortes (loud) in expression, where's the organ is always same tone regardless of touch...

RAÏSanÏa

Found while looking for seasonal classical music to go with the last days of winter. My first full listen today and solid associations can be made with the sound.

According to the composer -
One night, in the year 1713 I dreamed I had made a pact with the devil for my soul. Everything went as I wished: my new servant anticipated my every desire. Among other things, I gave him my violin to see if he could play. How great was my astonishment on hearing a sonata so wonderful and so beautiful, played with such great art and intelligence, as I had never even conceived in my boldest flights of fantasy. I felt enraptured, transported, enchanted: my breath failed me, and I awoke. I immediately grasped my violin in order to retain, in part at least, the impression of my dream. In vain! The music which I at this time composed is indeed the best that I ever wrote, and I still call it the "Devil's Trill", but the difference between it and that which so moved me is so great that I would have destroyed my instrument and have said farewell to music forever if it had been possible for me to live without the enjoyment it affords me.[4]

Toots

Gold Member

The same difference as between a handy and a bj.
Both are fun but one feels tremendously better.
(I know it's been a year but i was really proud of my what i came up with)

Cyberpunkd

Yeah, we are bumping this thread because FU uneducated pleb, classical music makes you a better person and a more refined human.

Basically this without hentai:

GIF by moodman

Started a few months back to learn piano in mid-30s. Logic was the following: 20 years of practice to 55, then I have another 20 years before I die to play whatever the fuck I want. Also given my income that shit will be played on a Steinway or Bosendorfer, because fuck you - kids will not want to talk to me at that time anyway, might as well profit.

Got the teacher, going through Für Elise (FU Beethoven for making this piece one massive troll) and Chopin Nocturne 20 (refined and graceful, also very hard). Tried a few apps in the meantime , all are rubbish except maybe Pianote, still on 1 week trial.

Last edited:
Top Bottom