• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization Creator Sid Meier Says Games Shouldn't Focus on Monetization. Focusing on NFTs and monetization could lead to losing the audience (IGN)

kingfey

Banned

Sid Meier, the creator of the Civilization franchise, says that video game companies could lose their audiences if they continue to heavily focus on different kinds of monetization tactics such as microtransactions and NFTs.

In an interview with BBC, Meier explained, "People can assume that a game is going to be fun and what it needs for success are more cinematics or monetization or whatever - but if the core just is not there with good gameplay, then it won't work." The point is that games need to be fun, first and foremost. Gameplay is critical in order to keep players happy and engaged with the product.

Over the years, games have shifted business models and now some rely on microtransactions as well as in-app purchases. Recently, some companies, such as Ubisoft, have embraced NFTs as a new way to make more money despite strong backlash from the gaming community.

Meier said that figuring out gameplay is relatively cheap and doesn't require as many cooks in the kitchen compared to all of the aspects that go into creating a game. As a result, the importance of gameplay and game design themselves can be overlooked. He further explained, "I think we need to be sure that our games continue to be high quality and fun to play — there are so many forms of entertainment out there now."

He also said that companies shouldn't expect continued growth all the time, noting that trends in the entertainment space constantly change. "There are lots of other ways that people can spend their leisure time... I think the way the internet works, once a shift starts to happen, then everybody runs to that side of the ship," said Meier.

To him, the gameplay is what makes video games a unique medium for entertainment. Once companies start thinking that games are just investment vehicles for further monetization is when they lose sight of what really matters: making games fun.

Meier's focus on fun seems to have worked as Civilization continues to be a popular video game franchise with a core gameplay that goes back to the very first game in the series.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Cookie shop owner telling the cookie industry "We need to focus on making tasty cookies".

Well...yeah, but charging people for cookies is important too. It's really hard to charge people for cookies if they don't taste good.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
To him, the gameplay is what makes video games a unique medium for entertainment.
i DoN,T kNoW wHaT ,,GaMePlAy" mEaNs!1!! Remember when people used to say that shit? I'm glad that's done with

He's right, but companies aren't going to listen to him. The nickel and diming of players is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

kingfey

Banned
i DoN,T kNoW wHaT ,,GaMePlAy" mEaNs!1!! Remember when people used to say that shit? I'm glad that's done with

He's right, but companies aren't going to listen to him. The nickel and diming of players is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
sadly games these days focus on that part. Fifa 22 was good/shit at the release. Had some good content, but fucked up the gameplay part.
Right now, the gameplay is somewhat good. But the ship has already been sailed. 7 more months, until the new game drops. That is if they are able to keep the fifa license. Publishers dont care about polishing their games, until their money bank is full.

Top Bottom