• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CivicScience survey: PlayStation owners spend more time playing games than their Xbox counterparts. Xbox households better off financially on average.

Does the survey findings accurately depict reality as perceived by you?

• Total voters
CivicScience’s conducted a gaming survey this past:pie_thinking: September to better understand the U.S populace propensity to buy gaming hardware, next-gen hardware and their usage habits. Their findings came out recently.

Article can be found here for more findings and details: Click me.

Some of their findings include:
  • PlayStation owners spend more time playing games than their Xbox counterparts.
  • Households that own Xbox are better off financially than their PlayStation counterparts.
  • PlayStation is the more popular choice for next-gen adoption (however with closer margin difference than previous polls conducted online elsewhere - maybe due to U.S only focus? - which in itself is interesting insofar as U.S splits are concerned?)
  • Demographic for both consoles is predominantly male. No big clarification on splits here which is a shame. It would have been extremely interesting to see the splits for Nintendo when it comes to demographics - specially female.
  • Participants who follow technology and trends very closely favor PlayStation.

Poll.jpg

So what do you think? Is the poll accurate?
Any particular findings you find interesting?
Does the country you live in give you a different vibe of the situation as pictured in the U.S?

Lock if old.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You conveniently left out this from your consideration of the analysis;

l6IlNPb.png

Showing parents are more likely to be buying their kids an Xbox as a gift (Higher income due to marriage and older)

PlayStation on the other hand is bought by the gamer themselves more often (younger and more single income)

What you can take from this is that Xbox is a brand (Karens) buy for their kids cause they are out of touch with tech and more often go for what is cheaper or what the attendant tries to sell them.

Last edited:

theHFIC

I mean it makes sense. Crackdown 3 is pretty cheap now, Sunset Riders Overdrive, I think there is a Gears game that came out at some point.

Plenty of opportunities to save $ this generation.

Kimahri

Banned
You conveniently left out this from your consideration of the analysis;

l6IlNPb.png

Showing parents are more likely to be buying their kids an Xbox as a gift (Higher income due to marriage and older)

PlayStation on the other hand is bought by the gamer themselves more often (younger and more single income)

What you can take from this is that Xbox is a brand (Karens) buy for their kids cause they are out of touch with tech and more often go for what is cheaper or what the attendant tries to sell them.

Thank you for illustrating perfectly why Xbox owners are better off financially.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
48% of the XBox people never play games. Not very representative of gamers.
You would think they wouldn't post results and try to draw conclusions with only 260 people polled. Company should be called CivicpseudoScience.

Edit: I'm referring to that specific metric. Each thing they are showing is coming from different survey results if you look.

Last edited:
48% of the XBox people never play games. Not very representative of gamers.

it's like a cult mentality, and new hardware is buying into a club for the generation...like you knew what team you were on before even seeing the products

your daddy probably has a calvin and hobbs sticker on his truck, peeing on the "other brand"

i just wait and see what team is better and buy that h/w, there are no 'bandwagons' in videogames

(just imo mods, don't hurt me :cry:)

Roberts

Well, results aren't all that surprising. Not trying to generalize too much, but from my own knowledge, a lot of working class and families with low income don't really know what xbox is. It's all about Playstation, Fifa, Fortnite. What surprises me is that so many people buy a console and don't play games on it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Confirmed broke PS4 owner here who plans to get a second job for his PS5.

Real thoughts, the sample size is so small for this study that none of the data is significant. I’d be curious to see where and how they polled this data.

Mmnow

Parents buying console for their kids?
Is what I'd go for, but the figure seems too high to me, probably because I've never thought of it before. We'd probably need to see the raw data to do more than guess.

If that's true though, the Series S really is going to be a killer this Christmas.

Humdinger

Well, I think that's interesting, although 260 responses isn't all that much, particularly since a high percentage don't play videogames at all.

I find it interesting that the Jan. and Sept. proportions are so close. 57/58%. Not much changed, despite all the water under the bridge during that time.

wolffy71

Banned
Ok so im supposed to believe that 50% of people that are buying an xbox is buying it for a gift? This poll seems a little sketch to me.

Aladin

"Participants who follow technology and trends very closely favor PlayStation."
Now these are the independents, they will go to brand which has the most games.
Higher income households and lower income households are two seperate classes. Whichever brand makes into a particular class in the starting few months will garner the lionshare of the market of that class.

Last edited:
Ok so im supposed to believe that 50% of people that are buying an xbox is buying it for a gift? This poll seems a little sketch to me.

you never bought stuff for a new hobby that sat in the garage...a new pair of skiis?...maybe you thought you would learn to rock climb

especially people with money...they just buy stuff....a fool and their money, etc, etc

kuncol02

Banned
Is what I'd go for, but the figure seems too high to me, probably because I've never thought of it before. We'd probably need to see the raw data to do more than guess.

If that's true though, the Series S really is going to be a killer this Christmas.
Enthusiasts can talk how much they want, but Series S with Gamepass is enormous value for average Joe.

Aladin

And,
1. It seems that this survey was conducted before Bethesda deal.
2. There could be bias in getting the right representation of us console demography. Like, Rasmussen report has heavier representation of Republicans.
3. North america + UK = half of console market (between xbox one and ps4 sales ). It accounts for more than half of $$$. So this region determines who wins and who loses.

i have no explanation but it SEEMS to me that, generally, xbox users lean more conservative and PS owners lean more liberal, which would explain the financial and gametime differences.

Perhaps its due to xbox being more popular in america and america is more conservative than the rest of the world

yeah, bethesda will get people playing games again

well in-between pushing a button to loot stuff...that's the same as gaming right?

i try to play wolfenstein, i really do, but between the long load screens and running around looting, i never get to just shoot at stuff

nobody gets in the way of their own game like bethesday, it's like they are trying to distract you from something

Last edited:

Spokker

Decent survey overall, but did they have to mention that Xbox owners are more likely to support Hitler and PS5 owners are more likely to support Mao? Uncalled for, imho. They were both real jerks.

Last edited:
i have no explanation but it SEEMS to me that, generally, xbox users lean more conservative and PS owners lean more liberal, which would explain the financial and gametime differences.

Perhaps its due to xbox being more popular in america and america is more conservative than the rest of the world

I think Bryank75 Bryank75 reply has some of the essence as to why but his delivery left a lot to be desired thus the ban boot (hopefully he won't miss the previews on Oct 4. See ya then brother). Also the greater the sample size of participants voting PlayStation means it's reasonable to expect that income would lower. The question is, is the lower number and margin of difference something reasonable based on the disparity in respondents going PS? We would need a deeper look at the numbers for that. For the time being, it's what it's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom