• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinematography |OT| (Movies/TV)

Post beautiful cinematography from movies/tv shows.

Too Old to Die Young Episode 6: The High Priestess (2019) (Director: Nicolas Winding Refn, Cinematography by Darius Khondji )

iyWjXK.png

A Civil Action (1998) (Director: Steven Zaillian, Cinematography by Conrad Hall)

iyWIrZ.png

Samsara (2011) (Director & DP: Ron Fricke)

iyWZ3P.png

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Some of the shots / scenes from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are breathtaking even if just for desert
Don't forget El Camino. Every frame was a work of art.

The OA on Netflix is much the same. Never a dull shot.

And to add another TV show, Channel 4's Utopia always impresses.

Glad to see I'm not the first to add Sunshine here, too. Man, that film achieved cosmic horror using the sun instead of any sentient beasts. That was brilliant.
And for more stunningly-shot cosmic horror films, there's The Void, Resolution, and its sequel The Endless.

I have some real distinct memories of several shots from Stake Land and Stake Land II: The Stakelander. I can't quite remember if they were excellently shot throughout, but they must've done something right.

The Where the Wild Things Are adaptation had beautiful cinematography as well, inspired by classic indie rock aesthetics. Rich with golden hour imagery.
xfk607n.jpg

And uh, lastly, you know what really surprised me with its cinematography? Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and Terminator Salvation. Made Dark Fate look like amateur shit with its hectic movie trailer stylings.

Last edited:
Tarsem Singh.
I love his work, don't even know where to start.

The Cell (2000) - his first and most know movie. Plenty of gorgeous and creative shots, Tarsem's having a lot of fun in that twisted place.
0n4zYkA.jpg

BYxbNQG.jpg

BHc7QHO.jpg

The Fall (2006) - his tragically ignored masterpiece.
Tarsem used to work as an ads director and traveled the world from location to location. It's during that time that he stitched that movie together, without using any kind of digital magic. Visually, one of the finest movies ever crafted - in my opinion.
From Roger Ebert :
Tarsem's "The Fall" is a mad folly, an extravagant visual orgy, a free-fall from reality into uncharted realms. Surely it is one of the wildest indulgences a director has ever granted himself. Tarsem, for two decades a leading director of music videos and TV commercials, spent millions of his own money to finance "The Fall," filmed it for four years in 28 countries and has made a movie that you might want to see for no other reason than because it exists. There will never be another like it.

Not flooding this with screenshots, watch the movie instead.
MT2Cac2.jpg

Immortals (2011) - not the best movie, but it's still gorgeous, also thanks to Eiko Ishioka's fantastic costume designs. She worked on nearly all his movies (and on Brahm Stocker's Dracula, check Dracul's red dragon armor), alas, she passed away a couple of years ago.
vESLfpm.jpg

And as a bonus, his most known music videos from the early 90s :

Deep Forest - Sweet Lullaby (1992)

R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (1991)

Dude's got some really strong visual signature.

Last edited:
Is Tarsem doing anything of lately? Loved his movies and visual style. Very original filmmaker.

I haven't heard anything neither, and his homepage that featured all of his ads seems to be dead too :messenger_confused:
It would be tempting to speculate that Hollywood prematurely ended his filmmaking adventure : Mirror Mirror wasn't the success they expected, Self/less bombed hard and his TV-serie Emerald City's been canceled too.
I can also easily imagine that the loss of Eiko Ishioka - his partner in crime, combined with the fact that he already gave everything with The Fall simply left him drained.
Tarsem's the perfect example of an artist that shattered against the wall of commercial realities, which is kinda tragic-ironic for a guy who built his entire career on making ads and music videos :messenger_frowning_

Top Bottom