• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chuck Berry, 90, will release his first new album in nearly 40 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

PillarEN

I'll admit I also thought he was dead but I got it mixed up with BB King who did die last year. Both of these guys are about the same age.

Gotta say a 40 year break has me rather curious just to see if creatively one can still muster something that impresses the listener.

Man coming back to your art 40 years later would feel so daunting and strange. It would feel like a lifetime ago.

He's been playing shows nonstop for decades, so he's been very involved with his art. He just hasn't released an album in awhile. I used to be his guitar tech for a couple of years in the mid-90s. Boy do I have stories.

PaulBizkit

I saw him live last year and it was dreadful

obviously one of the greats but don't pay to see him unless you want a short sad show that just kinda makes you feel bad

hopefully I just caught a bad one

No. He is indeed dreadful to see live. But he's 90... he needs a better manager, better band and either play the guitar or sing. Not both...

Here's a review of his 2013 show in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He played for an hour, only 10 songs, forgot his lyrics, played out of time and people started to leave early... Same thing as in Brazil (or Chile) that tour... only 8 songs.

If you know spanish or trust Google Translate...
http://www.rollingstone.com.ar/1572913-chuck-berry-en-el-luna-park-el-rock-mas-triste

No. He is indeed dreadful to see live. But he's 90... he needs a better manager, better band and either play the guitar or sing. Not both...

Here's a review of his 2013 show in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He played for an hour, only 10 songs, forgot his lyrics, played out of time and people started to leave early... Same thing as in Brazil (or Chile) that tour... only 8 songs.

If you know spanish or trust Google Translate...
http://www.rollingstone.com.ar/1572913-chuck-berry-en-el-luna-park-el-rock-mas-triste

He's been playing that way for almost 30 years now. He gives zero fucks anymore, which is why I'm curious to see what made it on the record. He's basically been his own manager - he doesn't trust a soul.

Wag

Although I am a huge fan- in all likelihood this album is going to suck.

Chuck never practices, he doesn't tune up, he usually does one live take and he's done. I saw him live at a benefit no less with the Alan Toussaint band and we walked out. For live performances he usually gets half the money up-front, plays, when he's done packs up and leaves- no encores, no autographs, nothing.

Watch the amazing 'Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll' rockumentary and you'll see what I mean. He came to blows with Keith Richards (the musical director) at one point because he wouldn't be flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom