• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chuck Berry, 90, will release his first new album in nearly 40 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

56f2153ff3d47.image.jpg

St. Louis’ own rock ’n’ roll pioneer Chuck Berry turns 90 on Tuesday, but he’s the one who will be giving fans a gift. Berry will release his first new studio album since 1979’s “Rock It.”

Simply titled “Chuck,” the album will be available in 2017 through Dualtone Records. The exact release date hasn’t been determined.

The album will consist mostly of originals. A final track listing will be released at a later date.

"This record is dedicated to my beloved Toddy," said Berry in a statement, referring to his wife of 68 years, Themetta Berry. "My darlin' I'm growing old! I've worked on this record for a long time. Now I can hang up my shoes!"

Charles Berry Jr., Berry’s son and guitarist, says the songs “cover the spectrum from hard-driving rockers to soulful, thought-provoking time capsules of a life’s work.”

Recorded in various studios around St. Louis, the album features the legend with his longtime band, dubbed the Blueberry Hill Band, with Berry Jr., Ingrid Berry (harmonica), Jimmy Marsala (bass), Robert Lohr (piano) and Keith Robinson (drums).

Chuck Berry was the album’s sole producer.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainme...cle_6452bae4-76de-52af-a006-b2db3d505e63.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVT65M4mRnM

JABEE

Chuck has been working on stuff since 1979. So, this album is a collection of material he has been writing and recording for a long time.

Holy crap. That's amazing. I admit that, though I know he was a huge contributor to rock and roll, I'm not too familiar with most of Chuck Berry's music; that being said, when I was a little kid, I bought an entire album of his just to listen to Johnny B. Goode, since I loved Back to the Future. That and Rock and Roll Music.

I think I might find that album out and dig it out. Since this looks like something great to listen to.

GTI Guy

Should be interesting. Will his music sound like something from 40 years ago or will it be more current sounding, whatever that means. I'm definitely curious in hearing some songs. Not curious enough to buy the album though.

From a musical standpoint I'm glad he is still going at it. However, It is hard for me to get over the fact that he hid cameras in the restroom stalls of his restaurant so he could spy on the female employees.

Brakke

Banned
Saw him live a few years back in St Louis. He had to bail on the set early but he seemed to be having fun as long as his stamina held up.

oh my god cannot unread that chuck berry sex tape transcript

i mean jesus

i guess

i mean he is considered the world's first rockstar?

ewww

im gonna go shower now

Salsa

I saw him live last year and it was dreadful

obviously one of the greats but don't pay to see him unless you want a short sad show that just kinda makes you feel bad

hopefully I just caught a bad one

KRod-57

Banned
Chuck Berry is the man

If you go through Elvis' library you'll find that many of his hits are actually covers, and most of the ones that aren't covers were not written by him. If you go through Chuck's library you'll find he wrote each and every song clear up until he did a collaboration album with Bo Diddley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom