• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas Horror Movies

gizmo-gremlin.gif

It's that time of the year! Horror is my favorite genre and Christmas horror is definitely one of my favorite subgenres.

Feel free to share some of your favorite Christmas horror movies! I'll get the ball rolling with a few recs:

Krampus

Krampus_poster.jpg

This movie is surprisingly underrated given the cast. It stars Adam Scott, Toni Collette, David Koechner, Allison Tolman, Conchata Ferrell and Emjay Anthony.

Humor is great, effects are great and the sound design is brilliant. I watch this film every year when Christmas rolls around.

Black Christmas

Black_Christmas_%281974%29_poster.jpg

Don't think I need to provide much of an explanation for this one. Classic. Movie is a delight, especially compared to other slashers of its time. Margot Kidder is a good time in it.

Margot-Kidder-in-Black-Christmas-1974-horror-actresses-43177376-268-160.gif

da472f9e3c5b4506bc86bcf56fd00fccd384d5aa.gifv

Dead End

Dead_End_movie.jpg

Christmas horror movie starring Ray Wise. Dysfunctional family find themselves on a never ending road on Christmas eve.

MV5BMjA4Y2Y4MTQtYzg4YS00N2ZkLTkyMDItMDA1ZmI4OWI4NDIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQ4ODA2NzQ@._V1_.jpg

I'm a huge fan of Ray from Twin Peaks so this is an easy rec for me, solid film.

Christmas Evil

ChristmasEvilDVD.jpg

Smarter than your typical exploitation film. Think Christmas + Taxi Driver + Maniac. One of John Waters favorite films. Fantastic film.

I think that's enough to get the thread started. If anyone wants some additional recs, I'm more than happy to provide them!

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Goldberg and Claire from Lost were in some stupid horror slasher from almost 20 years ago. I can't remember what it was called. Just remember Goldberg as Santa going around murdering a shitload of people.

AgatonSax

Not a movie but there’s a great British anthology series called Inside No. 9 which has a really nasty episode called The Devil of Christmas.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I was thinking of making this thread as I tend to watch a lot of Christmas horror movies to counter the sickly sweet scent of Christmas that hangs over everything this time of year.
Anyway my contributions:
Santa Jaws
XXvvl3K.jpg

Starting off with an Asylum stinker. The opening 5 minutes are comedy gold but it quickly descends into trash interspersed with some hilariously bad CGI shark kills. Not worth the time unfortunately.

Next up Silent Night
GZLpavY.jpg

Not a horror I guess but a deeply black comedy. Basically a Richard Curtis British comedy but with only funerals. I would go into this blind if you can.

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale
KB21ZaK.jpg

The 'real' Santa is dug up from his frozen ice prison on the Russian/Finland border. Then weird things start to happen. Good horror comedy, has that peculiar Scandanavian bent to it.

Finally
The Advent Calendar
lcuJj6W.jpg

Psychological horror. Really enjoyed it, the lead actress sells the descent into madness. *Trigger warning for dog being killed*

Merry Christmas!

jason10mm

Gold Member

This movie has been run on TV instead of the Keaton family movie. Both our about processed snowmen.

I need to rewatch this (or at least just one scene) because the wife and I disagree about just what the snowman did to that chick in the tub.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I like this one, makes me feel funny :p

8KTBUgW.jpg

There were a whole bunch of flicks like this with Debbie Rochon that you could get at Best Buy back in the day, just soft core enough to be sold at regular retail I guess :p
c7OFqBX.jpg

I was thinking of making this thread as I tend to watch a lot of Christmas horror movies to counter the sickly sweet scent of Christmas that hangs over everything this time of year.
Anyway my contributions:
Santa Jaws
XXvvl3K.jpg

Starting off with an Asylum stinker. The opening 5 minutes are comedy gold but it quickly descends into trash interspersed with some hilariously bad CGI shark kills. Not worth the time unfortunately.

Next up Silent Night
GZLpavY.jpg

Not a horror I guess but a deeply black comedy. Basically a Richard Curtis British comedy but with only funerals. I would go into this blind if you can.

KB21ZaK.jpg

The 'real' Santa is dug up from his frozen ice prison on the Russian/Finland border. Then weird things start to happen. Good horror comedy, has that peculiar Scandanavian bent to it.

Finally
The Advent Calendar
lcuJj6W.jpg

Psychological horror. Really enjoyed it, the lead actress sells the descent into madness. *Trigger warning for dog being killed*

Merry Christmas!
was meaning to check out The Advent Calendar. I have Shudder but have been a bit reluctant to watch some of their original movies because it seems like some of them are pretty terrible. if you recommend The Advent Calendar I'll check it out. Superhost wasn't terrible and that was a Shudder original.

EDIT: was VHS94 a shudder original? because that one was amazing. then again I'm a fan of the VHS films but VHS94 was just so much fun.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
was meaning to check out The Advent Calendar. I have Shudder but have been a bit reluctant to watch some of their original movies because it seems like some of them are pretty terrible. if you recommend The Advent Calendar I'll check it out. Superhost wasn't terrible and that was a Shudder original.

EDIT: was VHS94 a shudder original? because that one was amazing. then again I'm a fan of the VHS films but VHS94 was just so much fun.
Yeah I would give it a watch. It's certainly not terrible and I thought it was genuinely good if a little formulaic within its own rule system.

this and sequel are so crappy, but it's the enjoyable kind of crap, def deserves a watch there's some unintentionally funny stuff

215px-Silentnightdeadlynight.jpg

I just saw the first movie a couple weeks ago. It was pretty hilarious. Definitely going to check out the second one, my friend was saying it's his younger brother that takes over. So goofy

Anyway my contributions:
Santa Jaws
XXvvl3K.jpg

Next up Silent Night
GZLpavY.jpg

KB21ZaK.jpg

Finally
The Advent Calendar
lcuJj6W.jpg

Merry Christmas!
Watching rare exports right now

Fun so far

teezzy

Banned
Black Christmas is pretty good. I even liked the remake.

this and sequel are so crappy, but it's the enjoyable kind of crap, def deserves a watch there's some unintentionally funny stuff

215px-Silentnightdeadlynight.jpg

The original scarred me as a kid straight up. One of my favorite slashers still. There's that part where Billy rips that chick outta her car and rapes/murders her and you see her tits. God I was too young for that. Must've been like 8 or something lmfao

Second one is mostly clips though ain't it? Forgettable movie

Top Bottom