• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Chorus" releasing December 3rd for PS5, XsX, XsS, PC and Xbone

So what's this drifting? Is it kinda like strafing but with a ship?
All I know is that I watched some gameplay online and the flight controls really seem to simulate space flight, not atmosphere flight. You can move sideways and flow in different ways. Read multiple reviews that said drift works but just not like you would think from drifting a car in a racer. Its a different thing.

Curious to try this myself because it seems very polarizing.

Lightjolly

Neo Member
Really? Wow, what happened? I've wishlisted this game to get at some point in the future. Is the drift really that bad?
Nah drifting is the best part of the combat, the issue is they introduce the tutorial in narrow ass hallways that it gets a bit frustrating as you constantly fail and hit a wall, once you get it down and are out in the open its freaking amazing

Game controls are tight as hell too, it just takes a little getting used to. I play everspace 2 with KB/M and Chorus with a Gamepad

Last edited:

aries_71

Really? Wow, what happened? I've wishlisted this game to get at some point in the future. Is the drift really that bad?

The problem is that they artificially force you to employ the drift mechanic in order to continue with the story mission. They probably though that combat dynamics were too simple and thought of spicing them up with this drift ability. The issue is that you are already in challenging situation: 3D movement in space with no discernible horizon. Add to this drifting through narrow corridors, where you are bouncing against the walls, roof and floor and you have the definition of not fun. I have no doubt that many will abandon the game at that point.

I managed to pass the damn drifting/tutorial mission, mostly by stubbornness, and otherwise find the game very good (I hope they don't force more drifting scenarios later)

Last edited:

Lightjolly

Neo Member
15 hours in the game, I can for sure say the combat here is top 3 of all space shooter combat in terms of exhilaration and how badass it makes you feel. Right up there with Freespace 2. (The combat, not the whole package, which I still think is good but not mind-blowing). There's not a lot of weapon variety, but movement variety makes up for it

When you're zooming through space station hallways, rolling out of the way to not get hit by a wall, blowing up weak points with rockets, before teleporting behind a ship, zapping them with lazers, then start disarming a capital ship, all while perfect dodging lasers, drifting around to get behind a slow moving shielded target. Boy, I seriously can't remember the last time I actually yelled "WOOOO" while playing a game, probably Vanquish from Platinum games in 2013

Last edited:
15 hours in the game, I can for sure say the combat here is top 3 of all space shooter combat in terms of exhilaration and how badass it makes you feel. Right up there with Freespace 2. (The combat, not the whole package, which I still think is good but not mind-blowing). There's not a lot of weapon variety, but movement variety makes up for it

When you're zooming through space station hallways, rolling out of the way to not get hit by a wall, blowing up weak points with rockets, before teleporting behind a ship, zapping them with lazers, then start disarming a capital ship, all while perfect dodging lasers, drifting around to get behind a slow moving shielded target. Boy, I seriously can't remember the last time I actually yelled "WOOOO" while playing a game, probably Vanquish from Platinum games in 2013
Just got it for ps5. Im hyped.

Neolombax

The last game I played that had aircraft drifting was H.A.W.X and man I loved that game for it. Its the reason why I like it more than Ace Combat at that point. I've not tried this game yet but its super tempting.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Chorus reviewed on PC by Dan Stapleton. Also available on Xbox, PlayStation, and Stadia.

Chorus does an excellent job of cutting out the dull parts of space dogfighting, getting right to the flashy fun of blasting through enemy fighters and capital ships with superpowered abilities. Its large and pretty map is filled with fleshed-out side quests, and they're varied enough that it's easy to cruise around for a few dozen hours and really get the hang of the combat system. The story behind it all isn't half bad once you've waded through a flood of sci-fi mysticism, and Nara and Forsaken are interesting characters to spend all that time with - which is a relief, because they're the only ones we ever get to see.

Bartski

Gold Member
How hard is it to plat?
Very easy IMO. If you take your time, experiment to level up masteries as you go, explore all areas and beat all side missions you're about 90% done when you hit the credits, at least I was.
The rest can be farmed after loading the pre-finale autosave.

So what's this drifting? Is it kinda like strafing but with a ship?
Drifting just lets you turn the ship however you want while still moving in the direction you were going when you started holding drift. You also don't have it at the start of the game. There are puzzles where you basically just fly straight but then have to "drift" to shoot 3 things in different directions but your ship keeps going straight.

I love the game. I have almost 40 hours into it, and I'm towards the end and close to the Plat.

Drifting just lets you turn the ship however you want while still moving in the direction you were going when you started holding drift. You also don't have it at the start of the game. There are puzzles where you basically just fly straight but then have to "drift" to shoot 3 things in different directions but your ship keeps going straight.

I love the game. I have almost 40 hours into it, and I'm towards the end and close to the Plat.
A lot of people don't grasp that in space you can do zero G moves like this so they thought it was weird. If you ever watched the space fights in Battle Star Gallactica it's like that.

A lot of people don't grasp that in space you can do zero G moves like this so they thought it was weird. If you ever watched the space fights in Battle Star Gallactica it's like that.
I didn't get it at first either. Hell I was trying to do it from the start of the game while turning. Trying to see if the turn looked different. haha. It's on the controller layout from the start so I didn't know "drift" was a power I'd get later.

I wanted to like this game, but I ended up really hating it. It has some of the most aggressively bad writing in any game in recent years. Just toe-curling, soul crushing garbage writing and characters.

There's a competent space shooter with nice graphics hidden in there. So at least there was some competence on the team. Everything is dragged down by terrible mission design and terrible characters/writing. The indoors drifting and shitty boss fights further drag down the game. Just why???

Bartski

Gold Member
Demo also available on PSN

Top Bottom