• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chocobo GP

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
graphics and gameplay look lame - I expect more out of square, wtf is this.
I think the graphics are very clear and consistent, especially compared to Team Sonic Racing which was kinda muddy on Switch. If it's 60 FPS I'm definitely on board. Fun racers are my thing. Loved them back on the PS1 and N64 and I still love them today. If it's 30 FPS I'll wait for a sale.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonF

looks like ass, how come mk8 on the wii U looks and, i bet, plays better. Why even release this game when MK8D exists and sells a lot every month. Clueless SE

Stuart360

I think the graphics are very clear and consistent, especially compared to Team Sonic Racing which was kinda muddy on Switch. If it's 60 FPS I'm definitely on board. Fun racers are my thing. Loved them back on the PS1 and N64 and I still love them today. If it's 30 FPS I'll wait for a sale.
Can you honestly not tell that its 60fps in that trailer?, i mean there is slowdown but the game is clearly 60fps.

Notabueno

Banned
Why can't anybody besides Nintendo (and Beenox considering they made CTR Nitro-Refueld) make a decent karting game. Granted this is one of the hardest game-design challenge to nail, but are they even trying? I can see the clunkiness from the first second of footage.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It looks like a decent effort, I expected way less from a minor spin off such as this one. Positively surprised, I might play it. Especially if it comes with split screen multiplayer.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Best surprise of the Direct for me.
Even if it sucks ass, the style is heartwarming, and it’s nice to see that games like this are still made.
Make the CPU less cheap than MK and it’s enough for me.

Square is making this right, anyone remember the 3ds mario basketball game they made, the character models and graphics really pushed the 3ds, I hope they have that level of production values.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Square is making this right, anyone remember the 3ds mario basketball game they made, the character models and graphics really pushed the 3ds, I hope they have that level of production values.

It was on DS, but the point stays. Fantastic gem :D

Kimahri

Banned
I'm disappointed it's only on Switch, since a new gen version could be gloriously gorgeous, but I'm all in. Been waiting for a FF kart racer for years.

sublimit

Banned
New screenshots and gameplay:

Chocobo-GP_2021_09-29-21_002-768x432.jpg

Chocobo-GP_2021_09-29-21_003-768x432.jpg

Chocobo-GP_2021_09-29-21_001.jpg

No Mario Kart 9, but this looks pretty decent. Also a sequel to a super old PS1 game.

Fun fact: They wanted to do a sequel to Chocobo Racing on the 3DS, but it got canned. Now it got resurrected.

Game's called ChocoboGP, but there's only one Chocobo and it's riding on rollerskates.

What's the point then? Why not just call it FFKarting or something?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game looks like it'll be just okay. Really wish they got someone in those videos that didn't suck at the game. It's already a buy for me though.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Ehhh looks like a bad Mario Kart ripoff. The vehicles behave as though they have no weight or momentum. Music is not so great. I do like how it appears each character has some unique special ability.

Also I’m confused at the choice of Zozo as a level. It’s like the Gary, Indiana of Final Fantasy. Out of all the beautiful locales they could’ve picked…..

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Seems a little slow. Hope it's 50cc (or the equivalent to that). The player seems to be pretty bad too.

We have to wait I guess.

There are lots of characters who aren't Mario in Mario Kart 8.

What a dumb arument.

A chocobo in the FF mythos is the species of creature, not the name of a character.

But you knew that. You just wanted to construct an argument, however contrived.

I wouldn't care for a story but some single player content or challenges would be ok, Mario Kart DS and the original Crash The Racing had some decent single player stuff. Modern Mario karts have been a bit barren in that respect.

My argument is that "narrative" should not be the reason that a game called "Chocobo GP" is about a single Chocobo and his non-Chocobo friends driving around a track in vehicles, rather than a game about many Chocobos racing around a track on foot as the name suggests.

It's a bizarre bait and switch, that could have been avoided by simply calling the game something more appropriate.

What a dumb arument.

A chocobo in the FF mythos is the species of creature, not the name of a character.

But you knew that. You just wanted to construct an argument, however contrived.
Lmao you're a sensitive little thing, aren't ya? Chocobo GP makes as much sense as Mario Kart. Also, you realize this is an existing franchise, right? Not to mention chocobos aren't just Final Fantasy characters.

220px-Cracingbox.jpg

Lmao you're a sensitive little thing, aren't ya? Chocobo GP makes as much sense as Mario Kart. Also, you realize this is an existing franchise, right? Not to mention chocobos aren't just Final Fantasy characters.

220px-Cracingbox.jpg

Maybe in your own twisted logic, sure. Let's go with that.

Whether it's an existing franchise or not is pretty irrelevant. It's still dumb that it's called Chocobo racing and it's about everything other than Chocobos racing.

And Chocobos not just being FF characters is relevant how?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I showed the video to my kids. My son said “oh my god this is fucking bullshit, they called it Chocobo GP yet there is only one chocobo and it’s on FUCKING ROLLER SKATES”. Then he just started crying like a little bitch.

Thanks, Square Enix. We have been dreaming for literally decades about a game where you could race on chocoboback.

I haven’t been this pissed off since I realized that Diddy Kong Racing wasn’t about a bunch of humans riding around on Diddy Kong clones.

Top Bottom