• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry 2 best hack and slash multiplayer game this year?

Skelterz

So after some review searches and gameplay videos I decided to take the plunge on chivalry 2 for PS5, The game runs at 4K 60FPS.

At first I thought the combat was a little clunky I was sort of wrestling with the mechanics for a couple of hours, Then it clicked!

The systems and mechanics at play are fantastic the gore is superb and with future updates maybe a few more maps/game modes I feel confident that this could be the best new multiplayer game I’ve played all year.

I’d love to hear everybody’s thoughts on the game so far.

TheMan

I really like it, great way to waste 30 to 60 mins. I’ve played chiv 1 and mordhau as well. Chiv 2 is the most accessible from what I can recall, although I do go back to mordhau occasionally

Skelterz

I really like it, great way to waste 30 to 60 mins. I’ve played chiv 1 and mordhau as well. Chiv 2 is the most accessible from what I can recall, although I do go back to mordhau occasionally
When you say 30-60 is that all you can sort of muster up? Do you get bored somewhat or do you also have longer play sessions.

ive been playing for a few hrs at a time and I’m loving it.

TIGERCOOL

Love this game. Pure dumb fun that reminds me of the good old days. I'm so sick of sweaty esports shit and this is just what I needed. The party system is awful though (PC), they need to fix that asap.

anthony2690

Banned
Isn't it the only hack and slash multiplayer game this year so far?

I played the beta and actually really enjoyed it, haven't purchased it though, due to so many other games I want and I worry it will get old quick for my own personal tastes, but I've seen some awesome clips and stuff for this game.

Maybe I'll grab it on sale if it still has a healthy player base by then.

Skelterz

Love this game. Pure dumb fun that reminds me of the good old days. I'm so sick of sweaty esports shit and this is just what I needed. The party system is awful though (PC), they need to fix that asap.
What’s up with the party system? I play on console and so far I’m the only one in my friend group to own it so no party’s atm.

Skelterz

Isn't it the only hack and slash multiplayer game this year so far?

I played the beta and actually really enjoyed it, haven't purchased it though, due to so many other games I want and I worry it will get old quick for my own personal tastes, but I've seen some awesome clips and stuff for this game.

Maybe I'll grab it on sale if it still has a healthy player base by then.

I kind of had the same feeling about it but after more and more watching videos it’s sort of made in a way where everybody can enjoy it but there’s a quite a complex battle system there to be mastered.

It’s kinda like Smash bros or something my son plays it and has fun but it’s also being played at tournament level by grown men 😂.

One of the best gaming experiences I've had this year. Still waiting for B4B, Battlefield and the next CoD before I rank and compare 2021 multiplayer experiences.

Skelterz

How's the difficulty / learning curve with the combat mechanics?
So there’s a tutorial that does a pretty good job at explaining everything but I did find myself forgetting some of the nuances, however the combat itself is fairly easy you have 3 buttons that control slashes stabs and overhead lunges a basic block function and a counter and riposte system that rewards you for pre-emptive strikes and blocks.

Skelterz

One of the best gaming experiences I've had this year. Still waiting for B4B, Battlefield and the next CoD before I rank and compare 2021 multiplayer experiences.
That’s fair I mean in terms of spectacle COD and BF will take the cake but I’m not sure they’ll match Chivalry 2 multiplayer as it’s totally unique to me.

TIGERCOOL

What’s up with the party system? I play on console and so far I’m the only one in my friend group to own it so no party’s atm.
Your friends will often appear offline or not in the game, and when they do appear in the game half the time your party request doesnt go through. You can kind of trick it by entering and exiting the tutorial a few times but even that doesn't always solve it. When you get more than 2 people trying to connect to each other it's a nightmare. Unfortunately I can't recommend it to more friends until thats been sorted out because we all have ptsd from epic launcher games with this shit and lose patience quickly.

Your friends will often appear offline or not in the game, and when they do appear in the game half the time your party request doesnt go through. You can kind of trick it by entering and exiting the tutorial a few times but even that doesn't always solve it. When you get more than 2 people trying to connect to each other it's a nightmare. Unfortunately I can't recommend it to more friends until thats been sorted out because we all have ptsd from epic launcher games with this shit and lose patience quickly.
Isn't that problem only on PC, or does that extend to consoles as well?! That would be crazy. I've read Xbox parties work fine. Ps5 owners need to use the ps4 version to play with other people on ps4. And PC got fucked with the party system. Apparently the update could have been out already, but they need certification from the console versions branch.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I kind of had the same feeling about it but after more and more watching videos it’s sort of made in a way where everybody can enjoy it but there’s a quite a complex battle system there to be mastered.

It’s kinda like Smash bros or something my son plays it and has fun but it’s also being played at tournament level by grown men 😂.
How many multiplayer maps is there? And how would you rate the quality or variety of them?
Have they said anything about post launch plans, I am pretty tempted for a multiplayer game to ride me over till halo and battlefield, I am getting a little burnt out on gears 5 now (love the game, but I have 64 days playtime and the new competitive ranking system isn't very rewarding unless you no life it to be in the top 1000 players, where as prior getting to masters rank in each season was fun for me)

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I played the hell out of the first game and this one is even better. I've hit the capture video button more times than any other game in recent memory after pulling off some heroic stuff.

For Agatha!

MiguelItUp

I most certainly agree! But I'll also add that I don't think there's much competition in that realm, haha.

I played a number of the alphas and betas and even loved it then. But since release, it's honestly all I've been playing and streaming, lol.

It feels better than 1, and better than Mordhau IMO. They've really mastered the simplicity and complexity of it all, and it's amazing. Plus at $20-$35 dollars, it's an absolute steal. I honestly haven't had this much fun with a multiplayer game in a VERY long time. I wish folks that hated EGS would give it a shot, because it's honestly worth installing EGS for it alone IMO.

One thing I find incredibly impressive is the amount of interactivity. Almost every day I play I find a new weapon or item I can use as a weapon. Or a part of the environment that reacts to being hit, or something similar.

They also have their Trello roadmap public so you can see what's planned for their next patches, and updates. Torn Banner have really outdone themselves, and I hope the game is incredibly successful.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I rarely play a single game for longer than an hour, just don’t have the attention span
Surprised Pixar GIF by Disney

--------------

Game is a lot of fun, played it at my buddies house on PC. I enjoy it much more than Mordhau and even more than Chivalry 1. I'll pick it up in the future when it's eventually on Steam or if I get some extra money.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Isn't that problem only on PC, or does that extend to consoles as well?! That would be crazy. I've read Xbox parties work fine. Ps5 owners need to use the ps4 version to play with other people on ps4. And PC got fucked with the party system. Apparently the update could have been out already, but they need certification from the console versions branch.
Yeah I've read that it's fine on consoles outside of not being able to form parties with cross platform friends. Also the lack of server select means you can't really play with them at all in crossplay until it's added. Luckily this is all coming in updates (crossplay parties are a long way out though)

Skelterz

How many multiplayer maps is there? And how would you rate the quality or variety of them?
Have they said anything about post launch plans, I am pretty tempted for a multiplayer game to ride me over till halo and battlefield, I am getting a little burnt out on gears 5 now (love the game, but I have 64 days playtime and the new competitive ranking system isn't very rewarding unless you no life it to be in the top 1000 players, where as prior getting to masters rank in each season was fun for me)
There’s probably like 8 different maps/scenarios with 2 of them being Arena style TDM the other 6 or so are reminiscent of that battlefield mode where you push the enemy back across the map really really fun.

Skelterz

I played the hell out of the first game and this one is even better. I've hit the capture video button more times than any other game in recent memory after pulling off some heroic stuff.

For Agatha!
Agatha Scum! Once us Masons are done with you we’ll take arms against the riff raff in the stands!

Last edited:
Top Bottom