• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chip Chan Kick on the PC-FX; and other examples of awesome clone games

VGEsoterica

If you've never heard of Chip Chan Kick before I wouldn't be surprised. It's a legit fun single screen platform action game on the NEC PC-FX...not exactly a console many people know anything about lol

BUT...I am sure plenty of everyone on here has played Bubble Bobble or Parasol Stars before...and if you enjoyed those two Taito classics you would 100% love Chip Chan Kick as it's basically 100% a clone of those games. Really it feels closed to something like Parasol Stars than Bubble Bobble in how the mechanics of the game work but Chip Chan Kick is definitely wearing it's inspiration on its sleeve gameplay wise.

But seriously there is nothing wrong with a clone game. I mean everything is in some way, shape or form a clone right? But that got me thinking...what other games are just obvious clones of other successful games?

Think Zuma after Puzzloop from Capcom/Mitchell Corp or any of the "fast" 16 bit platformers that came out after Sonic (Bubsy, etc)

VGEsoterica

and if you have zero idea what Chip Chan Kick is. It's a seriously awesome game that needs more love. Maybe just DONT watch the opening FMV if you emulate it though...it's creepy AF

Sophist

Deep fear on Saturn was undeniably a clone of Resident Evil; The sound effects (even the sounds in the menus), the gameplay mechanics, the atmosphere, .... all the "same".

Just watch 60 seconds of this

VGEsoterica

Deep fear on Saturn was undeniably a clone of Resident Evil; The sound effects (even the sounds in the menus), the gameplay mechanics, the atmosphere, .... all the "same".

100% a clone and 100% awesome...well maybe except for the dude in pink's voice actor lol...that may have aged extra poorly

VGEsoterica

JGKBGeL.jpg

The most recent example of a blatant clone

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

OMG I forgot all about this game I liked this so much more than RE back then

VGEsoterica

OMG I forgot all about this game I liked this so much more than RE back then
Honestly Deep Fear, IMO, is as good as the original RE. It has a lot of interesting mechanics and slight differences that really make it feel like a companion game and not just a total clone

More people need to play it. I'd love a Deep Fear remaster like RE got with 1/2/3

CamHostage

Chip Chan also looks a lot like Snow Bros (especially with its kick mechanic that uses an enemy against other enemies.)

Snow Bros itself is sort of a Bubble Bobble clone, but it's risk/reward combat timing (you have to hit enemies several times to build up a ball, then you have to kick them or they will melt) and combo enemy strike system (with a danger that you or your buddy will get caught up in the rollup) is really great in both the original and its sequel (with new Elves!)

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Chip Chan also looks a lot like Snow Bros (especially with its kick mechanic that uses an enemy against other enemies.)

Snow Bros itself is sort of a Bubble Bobble clone, but it's risk/reward combat timing (you have to hit enemies several times to build up a ball, then you have to kick them or they will melt) and combo enemy strike system (with a danger that you or your buddy will get caught up in the rollup) is really great in both the original and its sequel (with new Elves!)

In that same vein Nightmare in the Dark is another awesome game in the same style. Honestly there are a ton of fun entries in the “single screen action Platformer” genre

Top Bottom