• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China cuts amount of time under 18s can spend playing online games to 3 hours a week

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Chinese gov is too soft.

I would dismantle Google, Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Mac Donald, BTS and would pay feminists a trip to Afghanistan for cultural exchanges.

And... Yeah, Thanos is the good guy. 🥳

Scotty W

This is a pointless political stunt designed to impress parents who don’t really have a clue about gaming. The kids will just put all their time into offline games instead. My young nephew is a total gaming addict already and none of the games he plays are online.
Given China’s omnipresent surveillance state, I wonder how feasible this is.

I SUSPECT China is quite suspicious about offline computers. Moreover, given that they likely track your purchase history, I would suspect that purchasing too many single player games is likely to attract some attention. Finally, parents are likely to have their social credit score hurt for non-enforcement.

Videospel

They are basically crippling an entire future industry. What if kids weren't allowed to read books, how many would be inspired to become authors themselves?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If my parents were both alive they'd love this..

I can see them totally backing this idea.

ReBurn

Gold Member
They are basically crippling an entire future industry. What if kids weren't allowed to read books, how many would be inspired to become authors themselves?
Most people who spend all day playing Fortnite probably just become more stupid, not more creative.

how long until they become illegal in china? might aswell make phones and television illegal too. dont people spend hours looking at them too but thats ok for some reason? god forbid you play videogames. what a crime!

RAL1992

China are more insidious than North Korea man.

What the fuck can you even do in an hour on a game?
SfgKiBU.jpg

PhaseJump

Banned

230114_908223010.jpg

This is ironic. It's communist China we're talking about. People who run book stores in places like Hong Kong, have been harassed, threatened, or gone missing entirely due to the government.

20cent

Banned
1. Pretty sure that most people here saying "bad parenting", "government should do this, not that" don't have kids. They just feel personally attacked.

2. So parents should cut their own children playing time..what's the difference, at least it is enforced.

3. Some people don't know bette. Yeah, sure, you american freedom lords know what's good from bad. Some social categories or cultures (country here) don't have the same notions about parenting, discovering the world, creativity, hobbies, learning, etc

4. China or Asia, while some geographical areas are huge, apartments are small, traffic is heavy, parks are non-existant or overcrowded, like any outdoor or indoor activities, said activities are expensive... the entire world don't live in a Dawson's Creek episode with access to a lake and forest behind the house, a backyard to play ball catching with a baseball glove, or a driveway to play hockey. People are stuck home because they can't do much more, videogames is an easy way for them, but like many good things, it is easy to overdo it.

Neofire

1. Pretty sure that most people here saying "bad parenting", "government should do this, not that" don't have kids. They just feel personally attacked.

2. So parents should cut their own children playing time..what's the difference, at least it is enforced.

3. Some people don't know bette. Yeah, sure, you american freedom lords know what's good from bad. Some social categories or cultures (country here) don't have the same notions about parenting, discovering the world, creativity, hobbies, learning, etc

4. China or Asia, while some geographical areas are huge, apartments are small, traffic is heavy, parks are non-existant or overcrowded, like any outdoor or indoor activities, said activities are expensive... the entire world don't live in a Dawson's Creek episode with access to a lake and forest behind the house, a backyard to play ball catching with a baseball glove, or a driveway to play hockey. People are stuck home because they can't do much more, videogames is an easy way for them, but like many good things, it is easy to overdo it.
My response to your number 4 is, that its China's own fault. I wouldn't put it all on the Asia continent though. Over population is the main problem in China. Not the rest of the worlds fault that parks and such are overcrowded in China and the youth can't get out and comfortably be active.

We all know why China is doing this and it's driven by control. What you get in a totalitarian government so no one should be surprised.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

I understand that having this enforced at state level is clearly dictatorial, but then again, I'm probably a worse dictator at home on those things. My kids won't have a smart device until they turn 16. The family computer at home is raspberry pi and can be used for working, programming, and playing emulators. And so far, things are great.

GymWolf

Pretty hard to riot when the CCP have the capability of destroying any counter movement with ease with their mass surveillance capability

They barely had to lift a finger on Hong Kong

The idea of a peoples uprising against a major world power is impossible

Plus they are all brain washed to think its a good thing
Can't they just protest on the streets without big organization?! How in the fuck you contain a billion of people revolting against you?! They can't openly shoot dead milions of people in the streets, right?!

All the big revolutions started this way...

I guess it's naive to think that it would be simple, but they have to start sooner or later for their sake...

Last edited:

Yoboman

Can't they just protest on the streets without big organization?! How in the fuck you contain a billion of people revolting against you?! They can't openly shoot dead milions of people in the streets, right?!

I guess it's naive to think that it would be simple, but they have to start sooner or later for their sake...
How do you organise that when all forms of communication are monitored?

And that level of mass movement requires everybody to be unhappy. Chinese people are conditioned to think they've got it good

I'm honestly surprised people are not rioting in that fucking country.
They gona enforce rules on what people can eat and when?
Normal in some Asian countries. Like in countries like India,UAE nd all - Government wont put such rules out for kids but parents themselves will put strict rules for kids. Some parents beat the shit out of kids with belt n all.

I Used to get beaten by my father on daily basis for playing too much video games. One time i skipped Math exam and went to game parlour to play Contra xD.

But once you adult. No one questions you.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
What I remain sceptical of is if that will actually work in reducing the time kids in China spend on their devices (so mostly phone I'd wager).

It's not like gaming is the only thing you can do.
This might simply end up shifting the focus to do more other things they already do (social media, etc.).

Then again, maybe the goal here is not that.
If it is really only for online games in order to tackle addiction to those as well as preventing kids from being suckered into MTX, I have no problems with it.

GymWolf

How do you organise that when all forms of communication are monitored?

And that level of mass movement requires everybody to be unhappy. Chinese people are conditioned to think they've got it good
This is just sad, it remeber me of when i was in cuba and even super poor people was somehow happy of the castro regime...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You could start selling jailbroken smart phones with adult IDs to all the school children.

I bet that some kids will find a way around this.

Last edited:

LordPezix

It is a grave situation. Curious to see what implications this has on the youth and what outlets they focus their energy towards now that gaming is limited.

Full blown Chinese disgruntled youth rebellion, idk.

We can most likely expect innovation in black market gaming from the country. If there is a desire the people will find a way. Same with drugs. People will do what they can to get what they want.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is just sad, it remeber me of when i was in cuba and even super poor people was somehow happy of the castro regime...
Look at China 70+ years ago and look at it now. People are easily led to believe that just by looking at the average situation and growth.

GymWolf

Look at China 70+ years ago and look at it now. People are easily led to believe that just by looking at the average situation and growth.
I'm sorry but i don't understand what are you saying, they are happy because 70 years ago they were even more miserable than now?!

Last edited:

Impotaku

Yeah about that...... china doesn't like their cogs protesting & thinking for themselves.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You can combine games with homework in a typical school day gaming has been shown to play a roll in shaping people.

Fbh

I understand that having this enforced at state level is clearly dictatorial, but then again, I'm probably a worse dictator at home on those things. My kids won't have a smart device until they turn 16. The family computer at home is raspberry pi and can be used for working, programming, and playing emulators. And so far, things are great.

That's the thing though, as a parent you get to decide.
It's not about "Well I'm even more strict at home so, this is ok", it's about "I have the freedom to set the rules at home, and so should other parents"

If you can't see the difference between parents setting their own boundaries regarding playing time as opposed to the government telling you not only exactly how long but at which specific time your kids are allowed to play games, then I don't know what to tell you

If you have kids you might want to send them to some CCP run boarding school as you clearly think they should be put in charge of parenting.

Last edited:
When we want to lift something heavy we use machines not humans, soon when we need some intellectual work we'll use machines not humans too.

Humans are to relax and have social interactions, their usefulness is at most a few decades from coming to an end, if not years.

Humans should study yes, but they they should also be allowed ample time to relax and play and share.

I do not agree with such draconian authoritarian limits being imposed.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm sorry but i don't understand what are you saying, they are happy because 70 years ago they were even more miserable than now?!
Yes… and their economy is challenging or even maybe one day surpassing the U.S.’s one (not too laughable anymore) hence the climate of modern Cold War and the attitude towards China (even beyond what they already do).

bbeach123

Hey atleast their kid can stop playing lol , pubg , shitty cash grab ftp and play real game (offline game) now .

I'm curious does mobile gacha game like genshin impact ,FGO count as a online game in China .

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
My friend in China told me the restrictions only pertain to kids 18 and under where they live. Also they mentioned that everyone uses a VPN to play games and talk to international friends anyway. His words: 'It's really only a boomer problem.'

Fat Frog

40 minutes limitation for Tik Tokers under 14 in China.

No wonder why China will dominate the west for centuries to come.

We must import that rule in the west with a few custom extras such as:
:love:

Last edited:
Kids should be out playing sports, having fun, and being "physical", not wasting life on social media and Internet games and becoming a weeb like me...

I wish I had the CCP managing me when I was young, but then again it may turn me into an underground weeb running away from home where I can OD on Tiktok vids. :(

Fat Frog

shutterstock_1315212515__1_.jpg

Youth is asking for changes...
Perfect !

Young people must first:
Stop binge watching Netflix garbage in 4K > economy mode, 480p, one episode/week.

Stop posting 1000 photos of your ass/ABS on instagram > Each "thumb up" on your account has a carbone print.

Stop lecturing our parents for their "crimes" on the planet. My grand parents and parents planted hundreds of trees without travelling all around the world every 5 years...

Then we'll talk (ok, i'm guilty too. I'm often shit posting on gaf hu hu hu)

As for China...
Of course, they are faaaaaaaaar from a democracy but hard to say everything is bad with Xinping:
They already planted billions of trees the last decades. (there are more trees on the planet lately but less bio diversity unfortunately).

Sorry i'm not sorry for chinese kids and teenagers.
Less online gaming (off line probablt won't be controlled), less tik tok... they'll have time for other hobbies, going out, reading... what a tragedy.

Soviet Union failed because there weren't enough hobbies.
The west failed because self destruction is allowed, almost promoted.

China isn't the perfect middle ground, that's true. (give them 10 hours a week for online gaming, ok) But such limitations could be an opportunity for game addicts (i'm only talking about the poor asian boys who died playing online games in interner cafes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom