• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China cuts amount of time under 18s can spend playing online games to 3 hours a week

Aenima

Chinese teens using VPN...

large.jpg

LordCBH

People on here actually saying this is a good thing are so incredibly ignorant it's pathetic.

Let me make it very simple for your dumb brains.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT GAMING.
THIS IS ABOUT STATE CONTROL OF THE INDIVIDUAL.

Better now?

Some people are just happy under an oppressive government boot. I have no idea why. Maybe they like the way the boot tastes when they lick it. I find it absolutely disgusting.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Some people are just happy under an oppressive government boot. I have no idea why. Maybe they like the way the boot tastes when they lick it. I find it absolutely disgusting.
People who have lacked real world experience of oppression end up living in a fantasy land. That's the problem with Western Society and its steady erosion of human empathy. Unless you have developed your consciousness to a very high and sensitive level, then it's absolutely possible to feel this empathy to that degree. However that takes strong self development in 99% of cases.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

So, they'll be doing stuff like riding bikes, running outside, playing sports, meanwhile in the US and other countries we will have an army of Fortnite addicts.

200w.gif
anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif

Some of these responses astound me. Do we have CCP astroturfers here???
How many eyes will open to what communism really is with this? Hopefully a lot.
This is not even communism. Deng moved them away from that Marxist shit when he realized how retarded it was back in the 70s. This is fascism. It does a better job of greasing the wheels of industry/economics with the illusion of property rights (although with strings attached) but is still extremely repressive on civil liberties.

(No more political talk from me I promise. PlzDontBanMe!)

Last edited:
China has realized their system is cultivating NERDS instead of sages so they are going all in to curb this problem it seems.
They are also focusing on physical education and other non-college entrance exam subjects; let's see how that works out in a generation. :)
I have no idea how they will enforce this online gaming time limit though.

WitchHunter

China has realized their system is cultivating NERDS instead of sages so they are going all in to curb this problem it seems.
They are also focusing on physical education and other non-college entrance exam subjects; let's see how that works out in a generation. :)
I have no idea how they will enforce this online gaming time limit though.
1.4 billion people live in that county. How you keep them together?

HarryKS

anigif_sub-buzz-25972-1479741401-2.gif

Some of these responses astound me. Do we have CCP astroturfers here???

This is not even communism. Deng moved them away from that Marxist shit when he realized how retarded it was back in the 70s. This is fascism. It does a better job of greasing the wheels of industry/economics with the illusion of property rights (although with strings attached) but is still extremely repressive on civil liberties.

(No more political talk from me I promise. PlzDontBanMe!)

You call it astroturfing but it's really looking at your enemy and thinking, that maybe, perhaps, possibly, they're using the same playbook that turned the US into the most powerful civilization after world war 2.

Notably the fact that they still have a grand vision of what they want to be founded on a bedrock of non-alternative lifestyles, core nuclear family with a father and a mother, a deep emphasis on education and trying to to impose limits on what could be seen as an impediment to progress
whilst the U.S is being gangrened by those very things that have toppled previous highly advanced empires, running high on the fumes of their success, getting complacent, encouraging pauperization, and countless other forms of decadence which have now led them to believe that they
can reason with the unreasonable and still think they can stay top dog whilst others smell the weakness.

I don't like China, but they do what's best for them. This fits their plans perfectly. They think children under 18 years of age could be doing something more productive than playing online MMOs for more than 3 hours per day, and as they've done in the past and as they will keep doing, this is perfectly
in line with their greater plan. It's coherent. You analyze them through your prism, but they're doing their own thing, and it's kind of working.

Bkdk

Feel bad for teenage men there, now they will have to spend all their free time simping girls, this really sucks. One big reason I kept myself sane is spending lots of time gaming and not simping for girls when I was a teenager.

sn0man

Let’s be honest…
Bold move.
They are definitely winning WW3 :/
We were gonna lose WW3 if we let their APM get too high. This might slow the great drone war if our fortnight kids are a little better than their fortnight kids.

Arsic

China about to embrace fighting games and tournaments hard. Offline guilty gear and street fighter sessions galore. Smash will be the next thing banned.

aclar00

yeah. it's just basically them wanting more control and doing the classic "think of the children" approach.

it might start off with <18 year olds and video games but once it's in place then they will start pushing it to more people in different situations.

Sounds like its already in place for everyone. This will verify age and require facial recognition for everyone it sounds like. Seems all accounts will need verification Otherwise whats the point you know? If they can just hit a checkbox that says 18+, it would do no good to enforce the requirment.

DeepSpace5D

Hopefully they can discover all the great offline singleplayer games out there if they still want to game outside of those 3 hours.

Maybe siblings can get some couch coop games.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Won't this completely tank console sales for all the console brands there?

Pc will take off, hacked unlocked games, etc.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Sheeeeit this is gonna suck. I play eve and we’re friends with fraternity, the Chinese alliance. We’re neighbors with panfam and they just reset standings and with the rumors of TAPI settling nearby things might get iffy.

Ammogeddon

This is a pointless political stunt designed to impress parents who don’t really have a clue about gaming. The kids will just put all their time into offline games instead. My young nephew is a total gaming addict already and none of the games he plays are online.

nemiroff

Gold Member
You call it astroturfing but it's really looking at your enemy and thinking, that maybe, perhaps, possibly, they're using the same playbook that turned the US into the most powerful civilization after world war 2.

Notably the fact that they still have a grand vision of what they want to be founded on a bedrock of non-alternative lifestyles, core nuclear family with a father and a mother, a deep emphasis on education and trying to to impose limits on what could be seen as an impediment to progress
whilst the U.S is being gangrened by those very things that have toppled previous highly advanced empires, running high on the fumes of their success, getting complacent, encouraging pauperization, and countless other forms of decadence which have now led them to believe that they
can reason with the unreasonable and still think they can stay top dog whilst others smell the weakness.

I don't like China, but they do what's best for them. This fits their plans perfectly. They think children under 18 years of age could be doing something more productive than playing online MMOs for more than 3 hours per day, and as they've done in the past and as they will keep doing, this is perfectly
in line with their greater plan. It's coherent. You analyze them through your prism, but they're doing their own thing, and it's kind of working.

Yes, we know from history that stripping away people's rights and turning them into drones does indeed "work". It does beg the question though, is fascism a long term good, making a meaningful life for the individual? When the government starts executing your neighbors in the streets for tiptoeing on the wrong needle and you walk by and feel nothing, how great is this thing really working?

North Korea is also doing what they think is best for their people btw:

Last edited:

MHubert

Then move to North Korea you commie.
No government should have this right. Parents raise their children.
I think the point is that when parents let their kids play fortnite and watch tik-tok 5 hours a day, they obviously aren't raising their children.

When you think about it, it really isn't much different than restricting drugs and alcohol.

Top Bottom