• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China cuts amount of time under 18s can spend playing online games to 3 hours a week

TonyK

Chinese government only wants to encourage new generations to play single player games. "More Zelda and less Fornite", said a Chinese politician that wants to remain anonymous.

Yoboman

I'm honestly surprised people are not rioting in that fucking country.
They gona enforce rules on what people can eat and when?
Pretty hard to riot when the CCP have the capability of destroying any counter movement with ease with their mass surveillance capability

They barely had to lift a finger on Hong Kong

The idea of a peoples uprising against a major world power is impossible

Plus they are all brain washed to think its a good thing

Fbh

Decent idea, bad dictatorial execution that I'm not sure why some people here are praising.
Could have made some campaign to encourage parent to keep the gaming habits of their kids in check, work together with ISP's to provide some unified and easy to use system for less tech savvy parents to limit internet access or something like that.

But telling you what your children are allowed to do, for how long and at which exact time is dystopian as fuck.

Kataploom

Gold Member
What you don't know is that it's not exactly the case. I've lived personally how "nobody protests" is of public knowledge while people is dying or died enough and nobody cared cause media is not informing.

The fact that this is enforced is enough for it to be rejected, it's clearly a population control meassure, state is just having more control over youngers by law.

Paasei

This wouldn’t be a bad idea if they did this to social media here in the states. Productivity would be boosted overnight. 3 hours a week on Facebook and Instagram is more than adequate.
Even better: Remove all social media from the internet and keep it that way. Imagine being truly social in person!

MikeM

Pretty hard to riot when the CCP have the capability of destroying any counter movement with ease with their mass surveillance capability

They barely had to lift a finger on Hong Kong

The idea of a peoples uprising against a major world power is impossible

Plus they are all brain washed to think its a good thing

Yep. The problem is that the CCP have no issues with putting bullets into their own people when there are signs of unrest.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Gaming is entering the gunpowder revolution of the 1300s with multiplayer. China seems to be weary of how engaging they're becoming with the public. I suspect other countries to follow over the next decade.

Edit: Copycat thread. Please...

alien-kill-me.gif

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This won't stay in China. As developers figure out how to make multiplayer games better and better, other countries will follow suit. Gaming will be lumped into "Big Tech" sooner rather than later.

Dream-Knife

Banned
How can everyone be so passive to China buying up everything and continually enriching their country with our endless thirst for cheap crap that we don't need that is made with slave labor?

Everybody hates Nazi's until they are willing to sell you a cheaper phone or stock your dollar store.

We're doomed.
What's even funnier are the people who say "How could the world ignore the Holocaust". Meanwhile genocide is happening right now.

Freedom is looking like a flash in the pan from 1750s-2000. We're going back to having less.

To the people saying why don't people do something: Australians are allowed out of their house for 1 hour a day if they have the COVID shot.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Man.. every gamer in China gonna be playing at the exact same time..

That hour of the day (since China IIRC has 1 time zone to rule them all) is going to be hell on online gaming servers, Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

Luckily for us West Coast US'ers that's like 5 AM lol

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

sircaw

Banned

Gaming is entering the gunpowder revolution of the 1300s with multiplayer. China seems to be weary of how engaging they're becoming with the public. I suspect other countries to follow over the next decade.

Edit: Copycat thread. Please...

alien-kill-me.gif

1 hour only on weekends, at least you don't have to worry about the new ps5 models overheating "lollipop_disappointed:

Alot of concerned people on the forum can now rest easy.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So, they'll be doing stuff like riding bikes, running outside, playing sports, meanwhile in the US and other countries we will have an army of Fortnite addicts.

200w.gif

Yoboman

This is old men fearing something new. The US had similar fear mongering from politicians about games in the 90s and early 2000s, except without the power to shut down what people were enjoying

Impossible to enforce. The end.

They can use an adult or older person's profile, the initial face scan can likely be done by that older individual. I highly doubt there will be a face scan every single time someone wants to play. And if that's what they're trying, they'd have to scan every gamer's face for every videogame across the entirety of China to enforce this. Majority of games don't even require things like this. How you going to lock a person out? What are the consequences?

Fucking idiots.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

China cuts amount of time minors can spend on online games​

SHANGHAI, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Chinese regulators on Monday slashed the amount of time players under the age of 18 can spend on online games to an hour of gameplay on Fridays, weekends and holidays, in response to growing concern over gaming addiction, state media reported.

The rules, published by the National Press and Publication Administration, said users under the age of 18 will only be able to play games from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. local time on those days, according to the Xinhua news agency.

Online gaming companies will be barred from providing gaming services to them in any form outside those hours and need to ensure they have put real name verification systems in place, said the regulator, which oversees the country's video games market.

Previously, China limited the total length of time minors could access online games to three hours on holiday or 1.5 hours on other days.

The new rules come amid a broad crackdown by Beijing on China's tech giants, such as Alibaba Group (9988.HK) and Tencent Holdings (0700.HK), which has unnerved investors, hammering Chinese shares traded at home and abroad. read more

The National Press and Publication Administration also told Xinhua it would increase the frequency and intensity of inspections for online gaming companies to ensure they were putting in place time limits and anti-addiction systems.

Source: Reuters

There are proper decision makers there. Good move.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Welcome to totalitarian communism.

Par for the course for China I mean, you have mass surveillance and “social credit scores” in China. Talk to the wrong person? You’re an enemy of the state. Why do people have such a hard time understanding how bad it really is over there?

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Welcome to totalitarian communism.

Par for the course for China I mean, you have mass surveillance and “social credit scores” in China. Talk to the wrong person? You’re an enemy of the state. Why do people have such a hard time understanding how bad it really is over there?

They absolutely don’t get it, just look at the amount of posters celebrating this decision in this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom