• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China cuts amount of time under 18s can spend playing online games to 3 hours a week

limiting online time is def a good thing, FOR PARENTS to do and 3 hours a week is too harsh.

this is why china has a massive creativity problem. they stunt the growth of their childrens minds in every way except with math. their kids are forced by the state into 70+ hours of school work each week in order to be conditioned into communist worker bees that tow the party line when they turn 18.

theres zero critical thinking, creativity, philosophical thinking, or any other of the hundreds of aspects of the brain that exist in china.

yes in western societies theres the people who rot on video games but we are left ti find our own ways in life. so despite our society not having math drilled into our skulls as much as they do in china we are still more innovative, inventive and progressive to the species than a place like china. Thats because people who are free to pursue life paths to their own accord will do more with what they chose because their heart is in it.

shubik

I have family members that sit down after school and do nothing but watch tiktok on full blast and when they cant bare it anymore they play fortnite or whatever. And while playing those games they have a youtube video running in the background.

Something has to be done.

Yes, it´s called parenting. Hoping that your government will take care of your problems is not the answer

I understand the issue. Kids are hard work and throwing an ipad at them is easy and quick to get them out your hair. Even at certain times it would be acceptable when you've had a rough day, dealing with shit etc. But the problem is it becomes a magic bullet for any isssue and the ipad gets pulled out instead of addressing the underlying behavioural problem.

Especially when those parents are then spending the downtime taking their selfies for social media or on facebook messenger. You know if you really came from a poor background you wouldn't have ipads and playstations. And I say that as someone who had a tough upbringing but despite that I'd never say we were 'poor' though we struggled for money.

I couldn't be arsed with that hassle, so you know what? I didn't have kids, nor do I want them.
our oresident is owned by them, our media is owned by them, our tech companies work with them, and they all work together to brainwash us in their favor.

we had the answer in office and im 100% sure china did what they could to make sure an actual demented person got the office

HarryKS

Good decision.

Keep thinking this puts China at a disadvantage in some way or shape. It's bobbins.
There was a time without video games, never impacted people's creativity. Why? Because there was other stuff to do that's far more productive. Like reading or sports s.

Last edited:

bbeach123

I can guess majority of people in China like/love this rule(strict asian parents type) . Only the young flipping off right now but they have no power here . So basically even though they didnt vote for it they agree with it . :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mckmas8808

Banned
That’s clearly a dictatorship move, but it may actually benefit the younger population considering how they could put their time to more useful activities. Can’t say it’s healthy for anybody to spend too much time online, and even more so for kids.

You can't be serious...... :rolleyes:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have seen kids memorize video games and cartoons, but when they’re asked a simple math problem they can’t do anything. The video game didn’t teach them anything good. I can see why limiting it is so vital to their upbringing. Some kids in America come off as being really stupid and I think a lot of that is how they’re using their mind. You can’t stop some parents from letting their kids game because they don’t have to do any work. I don’t necessarily agree with government control, but what else can you do?

I see parents bad mouth video games, which only makes their kids love video games more than their parents. Forcing a time limit can hopefully get rid of all that unnecessary drama. Kids and parents fight over video games and it’s just a big waste of time that could have spent on something a lot more productive.

I also don’t think it’s bad parenting. A lot of people think it can be easily monitored. Lol just wait until your kid tells you that they hate you and they don’t want to see you just because you took their video game away. I think you have a problem on your hands.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I witnessed on my own eyes how cutting down gaming time from the already controlled 1h/day to just 1h on Friday-Sunday dramatically improves kids behavior, social skills and personal growth. Because let's be honest, no matter how much we love video games, they aren't that important in life, if at all, the more time kids spend outside with other kids the better, and if they really need to play something there are countless card/board games to choose from.

Because honestly, we often see the infamous "but think about the children!!" argument, but the question is, why? Aren't the parents who should be responsible for their own kids, for raising them, making sure they don't get in touch with inappropriate stuff? Maybe we should start asking "where were the parents?!" instead before we blame GTA or CoD for something? Because frankly, many parents nowadays don't take much responsibility for their own kids, some are simply unaware of the long-term consequences, some are doing it purposely, but either way it's simply so damn convenient to just give the kid a flashy display and have the kid gone, leaving all the time just for yourself (but that just shows those kind of people weren't ready to become a parent). I just wish more people would be more aware/educated on the subject instead of forcing/controlling it like China does, but at the end of the day no one will get hurt because he/she didn't played XYZ video game.

I have family members that sit down after school and do nothing but watch tiktok on full blast and when they cant bare it anymore they play fortnite or whatever. And while playing those games they have a youtube video running in the background.

Something has to be done.
This a failure of parenting, not tik-tok or youtube, and not even video games. Parents that don't get involved in their children's lives, and put them in front of a screen to keep them busy is the problem. Governments need to govern the country, and not peoples lives.

ReBurn

Gold Member
limiting online time is def a good thing, FOR PARENTS to do and 3 hours a week is too harsh.

this is why china has a massive creativity problem. they stunt the growth of their childrens minds in every way except with math. their kids are forced by the state into 70+ hours of school work each week in order to be conditioned into communist worker bees that tow the party line when they turn 18.

theres zero critical thinking, creativity, philosophical thinking, or any other of the hundreds of aspects of the brain that exist in china.

yes in western societies theres the people who rot on video games but we are left ti find our own ways in life. so despite our society not having math drilled into our skulls as much as they do in china we are still more innovative, inventive and progressive to the species than a place like china. Thats because people who are free to pursue life paths to their own accord will do more with what they chose because their heart is in it.
Are you saying that wasting time playing video games makes people more creative?

They will just play SP games. What a dumb move. Unless their intentions are more in line to control what is being talked/shared among these on-line communities.

nush

Gold Member
Good news Chinese gamers, Xbox Live and PSN work without restrictions. Just work out how to open a non Chinese account and get prepaid cards.

ViYI.gif

Tschumi

i know this would be hella unpopular (where oogabooga at?) but that's freaking utopian lol, i wish someone had stopped me pissing away 3 years of my life on wow before my 18th lol (luckily i still got where i wanted to get)

Dr.Morris79

They will just play SP games. What a dumb move. Unless their intentions are more in line to control what is being talked/shared among these on-line communities.
Or emulate, christ, you do that you've got 30+ years of gaming.

It's just another state control like you said.

nush

Gold Member
i know this would be hella unpopular (where oogabooga at?) but that's freaking utopian lol, i wish someone had stopped me pissing away 3 years of my life on wow before my 18th lol (luckily i still got where i wanted to get)

Fuck off mate, you claimed to be banging mad Chinese pussy during that time. So what timeline was bullshit? :pie_thinking:

Or emulate, christ, you do that you've got 30+ years of gaming.

It's just another state control like you said.
Not only that… it is not like if you force someone to study the whole time that it will automatically generate a lot of brilliant people. Pure math/science is worth nothing if you don’t have a practical mindset. This is why the US is so ahead of the whole world. Even the guy with poor grades can come up in the future with some crazy idea that will be revolutionary.

Then move to North Korea you commie.
No government should have this right. Parents raise their children.
Except parents don't raise their children. They give them a phone so they keep quite and they couldn't care less of what they're doing. You have all these underage girls acting like prostitutes on TikTok and Instagram and nobody cares.

Shubh_C63

You know this is the right decision If I was a parent.

But Govt mandatory restrictions over such things with face scans!! V for vendetta in making over there.

Tschumi

Fuck off mate, you claimed to be banging mad Chinese pussy during that time. So what timeline was bullshit? :pie_thinking:
"Before my 18th birthday" dude, on the night of my 18th i had my brother (visiting from aus) take me out and i hooked up with a skinny Korean Girl in a nightclub called "vicks" ("vics"?) that very night. I soon ceased playing wow lol

jaysius

Banned
This is going to change the gameplay of their shovelware P2W games big time, they'll have to keep the shitty grind but somehow make a 3 hour bite interesting. This could actually be a good thing, these hack devs will actually need to learn to make compelling segments of games.

kevm3

Limiting time on video games is fine, but that should be the choice of the parents. It's a bit disturbing how many actually wish for communist practices to be implemented in their own country.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So now there is place on earth where kids aren't online ruining my games? Moving to china as we speak...

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
That’s clearly a dictatorship move, but it may actually benefit the younger population considering how they could put their time to more useful activities. Can’t say it’s healthy for anybody to spend too much time online, and even more so for kids.
This comment will get lost like tears in the rain, but it’s actually quite an accurate one. Over 18 you can do whatever you want.

bbeach123

It still wont do shit though , they can just use father/mother/brother/relate ID to register the game account and bypass the "minor limit" .

Top Bottom