• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Bans Kids From Gaming After 10pm, And Over 90 Minutes A Day

Gerdav

As fucked up as this is as least they're quick to do something about microtransactions in games. It will be another 20 years before U.S gets around to lootboxes in games.

It’s not the business of any government to do something about, it’s up to the parents of younger kids, and anyone older needs to actually grow up and stop buying that crap themselves.

Games publishers and developers (despite acting innocent online and punting the blame to the pubs) are there to make money, it’s called capitalism a free democratic society, they have this crap because enough consumers keep buying it and it’s making them money which is their primary purpose of existence, if the market rejected micro transactions and lootboxes you would soon see them disappear, online passes for second hand games, anyone remember that stable of last gen?

Last edited:

FranXico

A low-key win for everyone who hates the companies who are selling out their artistic integrity trying to get into the microtransaction empire that is China.
This law is just going to encourage the Chinese gaming companies to gain a bigger foothold in the west.
Which I'm sure the Chinese government is OK with.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As fucked up as this is as least they're quick to do something about microtransactions in games. It will be another 20 years before U.S gets around to lootboxes in games.
What government got to do with this? It's up to customers and parents. It works because people buy this shit

Ryu Kaiba

What government got to do with this? It's up to customers and parents. It works because people buy this shit
I guess I just feel like most people are stupid and uniformed and will continue to buy it if its there. I guess those people deserve what they get.
It's usually the sports games and shooters that are plagued with this shit so it's easy to avoid for people like me who don't care about that stuff.

Tesseract

Banned
I guess I just feel like most people are stupid and uniformed and will continue to buy it if its there. I guess those people deserve what they get.
It's usually the sports games and shooters that are plagued with this shit so it's easy to avoid for people like me who don't care about that stuff.

if you don't care, you don't buy

if you want it, it's there, no need for oversight or regulation

So kids should be punished for bad parenting?

I don't see an issue with this regulation since this applies only to underage kids.
I see so many young kids these days suffer from nearsightedness, it's especially damaging to shove smartphones and handheld devices very close to the face, but alas.

It's kind of refreshing when a country is in a position where it can take strong stance regarding various issues.

its refreshing when a government can force it self into your house and parent your own kids?

jesus christ.

Such a good law to have. I really takes the state to make it a law for it to be followed. Parents yelling at their kids doesn't do anything; it's frustrating.
We need something like this in North America, but it'll NEVER happen...

so you want a situation where the federal government can arrest you at gun point for your own parenting decisions?

Yea, thats how you end uo with communism in the first place, that exact attitude

you might want to change your name to BetaMale because you are being extremely submissive

Last edited:

RealGassy

Banned
its refreshing when a government can force it self into your house and parent your own kids?

jesus christ.
Yep, when you're a garbage grade parent a la this:

ipad-baby.jpg

Or this:

4F7CB97D00000578-6109721-image-a-2_1535537040360.jpg

Then the government should be able to step in and set in some rules.

Tesseract

Banned
grats on posting gross examples where protective services usually get involved

not that there's anything particularly wrong with the first image, all the literature indicates more input is good

realgassy, do you have children?

Last edited:
The reality is that in a developing country like China with a billion people there's countless parents ill equipped to keep tabs on their kids activities. In a sense I understand why the CCP feels like they have to coddle and "guide" their populace to such a degree. Ultimately though having your options dictated to you by others mean you'll never really grow up and take responsibility either. Enforcement of such rules obviously mean rather Orwellian surveillance mechanisms that CCP obviously doesn't mind using as means of control.

I do agree though with the idea of limiting gaming companies ability to deprive gaming addicts of their money. Having a monthly maximum limit to the amount you can spend on such stuff is reasonable in my opinion. Here in Finland there's a serious problem gambling issue with people of all walks of life playing slot machines since they are allowed in grocery stores, and obviously they also make a bunch of money for those stores. Unfortunately it's effectively preying on addicts, which is why they've recently decided to require identification for those slot machines, which in theory lets addicts "ban themselves", but I highly doubt that'll solve the issue. The reality is that 75% of the government controlled gambling income comes from these slot machines, and the money is redistributed to various other "good causes", and without the slot machines a bunch of stores would probably lose their profitability, so there's not a lot of drive for politicians to actually ban slot machines from stores. Ultimately the situation with video games and microtransactions are very similar, they're preying on the addiction, and making money off of those who are easily addicted and can't help themselves.

It'll be interesting to see how this actually plays out in China though. Usually these kinds of rules end up being circumvented some way or another and they end up making no real difference in what they are actually supposed to fix. Besides, it's not like those kids who would spend their time playing games would suddenly do their homework instead. More likely they'll end up doing something even worse since obviously their parents aren't keeping tabs on them.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is this only for online junk or also proper single player games?

The chinese governement is crazy, drop something to prevent eating dogs and beating them before slaughter so they can taste better.
Stupid.

Tesseract

Banned
If I wake up a 10 year old Chinese tomorrow, can I still play Banjo after 22:00?

i dunno, ask tickles

maybe not today but ask again a year from now and it'll prolly be stipulated in some form or another

shit hole government throat grips its citizens at every turn

RealGassy

Banned
not that there's anything particularly wrong with the first image, all the literature indicates more input is good
Not wrong in the same way it's not wrong for kids to become short-sighted and have to wear glasses at 3.
(god knows what else)

Or when parents force vegan diet onto kids.
All the literature also indicates that sugar is good for your cardiovascular system is basis of a "balanced healthy diet". /s

Can't wait until these ipads toddlers grow up and see the results. This is going to be great.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The chinese governement is crazy, drop something to prevent eating dogs and beating them before slaughter so they can taste better.
Stupid.
Why not eat dogs? I eat cows too, and cows are much nicer animals than dogs. (Of course, animals should be treated respectfully, even if or even especially if they are for food production)

Tesseract

Banned
Not wrong in the same way kids become short-sighted and have to wear glasses at 3.
(god knows what else)

All the literature also indicates that sugar is good for your cardiovascular system is basis of a "balanced healthy diet". /s

Can't wait to see how these ipads toddlers to grow up and see the results. This is going to be great.

they already are growing up, fair reminder the first iphone came out in 2008 and before that everyone had gameboys, before that kids sat in front of tvs, books

bad parents will always exist but that doesn't mean daddy government steps in to fix things

RealGassy

Banned
they already are growing up, fair reminder the first iphone came out in 2008 and before that everyone had gameboys, before that kids sat in front of tvs, books

bad parents will always exist but that doesn't mean daddy government steps in to fix things
Yep, you can already see the results. So friggin many kids wear the glasses these days.
Myopia in kids and teenagers is already an epidemic. But we're still not at peak ipad toddler just yet. There are going to be other interesting defects too with time as they become older.
This is going to be amazing.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Yep, you can already see the results. So friggin many kids wear the glasses these days.
Myopia in kids and teenagers is already an epidemic. But we're still not at peak ipad toddler just yet. There are going to be other interesting defects too with time as they become older.

who gives a shit, worst case they wear correctives and get laser treatment down the line (which will only get more noninvasive as tech progresses)

you seem bitter about something, not sure what

Gamernyc78

Banned
Not wrong in the same way it's not wrong for kids to become short-sighted and have to wear glasses at 3.
(god knows what else)

Can't wait until these ipads toddlers grow up and see the results. This is going to be great.

We already have the results. IPad and laptops been out for years. The results are these overly sensitive pussies (milenials) tht are taking over our country. Pseudo progressives tht in reality are creating a world where you can get sued for farting and ppl are afraid to be themselves or even speak bcus anything you say is construed as disrespectful.

As for physical results, tht bs I don't see more ppl in their 20s/30s wearing glasses than I saw before. A study would be interesting though.

Last edited:

RealGassy

Banned
As for physical results, tht bs I don't see more ppl in their 20s/30s wearing glasses than I saw before. A study would be interesting though.
Well, or personal observations differ greatly then. It also makes me wonder how old are you.
I see by an order of magnitude more kids, adoloscents and young adults with glasses, more so than ever before.

I was under the impression that this is a widely observed phenomenon.

Take this with grain of salt:

We estimated 1406 million people with myopia (22.9% of the world population; 95% confidence interval [CI], 932-1932 million [15.2%-31.5%]) and 163 million people with high myopia (2.7% of the world population; 95% CI, 86-387 million [1.4%-6.3%]) in 2000. We predict by 2050 there will be 4758 million people with myopia (49.8% of the world population; 3620-6056 million [95% CI, 43.4%-55.7%]) and 938 million people with high myopia (9.8% of the world population; 479-2104 million [95% CI, 5.7%-19.4%]).
So this projection puts it at 22.9% of shortsighted population in 2000 to 50% of shortsighted population by 2050. Ayy.

There's quite a lot of studies regarding this looming issue.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Well, or personal observations differ greatly then. It also makes me wonder how old are you.
I see by an order of magnitude more kids, adoloscents and young adults with glasses, more so than ever before.

I was under the impression that this is a widely observed phenomenon.

So this projection puts it at 22.9% of shortsighted population in 2000 to 50% of shortsighted population by 2050. Ayy.

There's quite a lot of studies regarding this looming issue.

I am 41 but thnks for the info I will read it when I have the opportinity to do so. It might be a situation where correlation does not equal causation but it is an interesting thing to research. Kind of like how so many cancer issues are poppin up but no real one reason.

lefty1117

Gold Member
There are plenty of studies that contradict the myth that gaming causes addiction. Addicts are addicts, if it's not gaming it will be something else. This is just convenient cover for their government to place more control over the social direction of the country, as also evidenced by the social credit system and other ways they have implemented to control how people act. Education and social activity is more and more controlled so that a new generation will grow up with the thought patterns that the government has implemented. It's a dictatorial government, not a government of and by the people. It will be that way until and unless the chinese people decide they don't want it. But perhaps the people prefer the top down approach.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Umm isn't this going to be a gigantic microtransaction smorgasbord? I mean if kids are prevented from grinding their way to the top, they'll need to take the time-efficient route of buying every advantage possible?

Its ironically a mandate for plutocracy in the gaming space.

Hudo

Does this time-control system do autosaves? Would fucking suck if I were in a boss fight and the system goes "alright, comrade, it's after 10/you've played 90mins today!"

Last edited:

Dane

Suddenly, Games Rise Up and take down the PRC government.

It’s not the business of any government to do something about, it’s up to the parents of younger kids, and anyone older needs to actually grow up and stop buying that crap themselves.

Games publishers and developers (despite acting innocent online and punting the blame to the pubs) are there to make money, it’s called capitalism a free democratic society, they have this crap because enough consumers keep buying it and it’s making them money which is their primary purpose of existence, if the market rejected micro transactions and lootboxes you would soon see them disappear, online passes for second hand games, anyone remember that stable of last gen?

This, and here's one thing, government parenting is the equivalent of making a useless population who can't even decide over their own life.

Last edited:
China just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Chinese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an e-sports player. If you screw the Government over in China, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is Re-Education.
What this means is the Chinese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Games for their PCs, nor will they purchase any of the World's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but China has alienated an entire Global market with this move. With Tencent reaping the rewards.

Xinneh, publicly apologize and cancel this law for your country or you can kiss your people goodbye via emigration.

Nothing will happen.

This only affects kids, so I highly doubt a kid, younger than 18 or 16, will leave the country because he cannot play.

Although I dont agree with the governments envolvement, this is easily bypassed, and even if it isnt, 90 mins a day of online play seems reasonable.

Lets not forget china is the country with those high tech cameras, that have instant credit and social status, so afecting games isnt the major issue of the chinese people here.

Caffeine

If I wake up a 10 year old Chinese tomorrow, can I still play Banjo after 22:00?
you gotta hide the gameboy from the camera cellphone mics. we came up with the solution years ago its called flashlight and playing in your closet.

Last edited:

Nydius

A million times this. I turn 43 here in a month and a half and I remember when the bogeyman was cartoons (for the younger kids) and arcades (for the older kids). People argued that cartoons and arcades were somehow eroding the moral fabric of society and were making a generation of terrible kids. It was a unfounded, ridiculous, argument back then just as it is now.

There's nothing inherently wrong or bad with cartoons, or games, or movies, or music -- so long as there's parental guidance and supervision. Where these things go awry is when parents use these things as ways to placate their kids without paying attention to them. No amount of changing the media or enacting government regulation is going to change bad parenting.

The amount of people in this topic cheering direct government intervention into the rights of parents to make their own decisions -- for good or ill -- is appalling. This is no better than when people here in the United States attempt to make knee-jerk legislation against 'violent video games' after a mass shooting or other similar tragedy.

Last edited:

Nydius

I searched out the full and complete report, not just the abstract, and there isn't a single reference to screens, digital devices, or games in the entire report. The report doesn't even begin to look into the potential causes of myopia, just that it's predicted to get worse. You're turning that into a "see, it's screen time!" based solely on the conclusions that myopia will rise in the under 20 population but one could just as easily argue that it's genetics, or other factors like the rise of CFL or LED bulbs. The study simply doesn't support any such claims.

RealGassy

Banned
I searched out the full and complete report, not just the abstract, and there isn't a single reference to screens, digital devices, or games in the entire report. The report doesn't even begin to look into the potential causes of myopia, just that it's predicted to get worse. You're turning that into a "see, it's screen time!" based solely on the conclusions that myopia will rise in the under 20 population but one could just as easily argue that it's genetics, or other factors like the rise of CFL or LED bulbs. The study simply doesn't support any such claims.
You're making a straw man argument here.

I replied with the study to this particular claim:
No more.

Although assuming it's related to ever increasing times being spent glued to screens, digital devices, focusing eyes at a constant very short distance - isn't particularly far fetched. It could also be CFLs and LED bulbs with very "poor quality" of light spectrum - of course. Or it could be both.

Last edited:
Nothing will happen.

This only affects kids, so I highly doubt a kid, younger than 18 or 16, will leave the country because he cannot play.

Although I dont agree with the governments envolvement, this is easily bypassed, and even if it isnt, 90 mins a day of online play seems reasonable.

Lets not forget china is the country with those high tech cameras, that have instant credit and social status, so afecting games isnt the major issue of the chinese people here.

My post was a meme. :p Although I honestly don't like how China operates.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What else are kids over there gonna do? Work on factories?

Nearsightedness is heritetary. What does viewing a screen have to do with it? There are people who look at screens everyday and have no vision problems as it's not from what you think. Do you also thing jacking off makes you blind too?

Top Bottom