• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is back! Finally! Also, Archie HORROR imprint launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally. I have been waiting SIX MONTHS for Sabrina #2. It was my favorite comic debut of last year. Everyone in the comics threads knows I've been whining incessantly about it.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/19/archie-comics-announces-new-horror-imprint-teases-series

October of 2013, Archie Comics shocked the world with the launch of Afterlife with Archie, a series that featured the classic Riverdale High cast of characters you know and love from Archie Double Digests—only with zombies. Written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and illustrated by Francesco Francavilla, Afterlife became an overnight sensation, both for the sheer audacity of its concept and the fact that it was a genuinely great (and genuinely scary) comic book. Last October, Archie launched a companion series, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, a full-on occult horror story set in the ’60s.

Both series have been missing from stands for some time—Afterlife’s last issue was in February, and Sabrina hasn’t come out with its second issue yet—but Archie is planning to have both series return in a big way. This spring, the publisher will release Afterlife with Archie #8 and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2 under a dedicated Archie Horror imprint—and they’ll be joined by a third.

“It’s happening organically already,” says Archie Chief Creative Officer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. “You launch one book, it is what it is. You launch a companion book and you think, ‘These seem to be speaking to each other’ … In-house we started referring to these books as the Archie Horror books. We wanted to make it official, and when it started to look like Afterlife #8 and Sabrina #2 were going to be released around the same time, why don’t we formalize something that is already happening, which is the imprint.”

It’s certainly a gesture of commitment in light of the fact that it has been five months since Sabrina #1 was released—something that Aguirre-Sacasa is extremely apologetic about.

“I could give you a dozen excuses, and none of them are really good. We really really wanted to launch the book at New York Comic-Con because it was close to Halloween. In retrospect, we should’ve delayed the launch to get a few issues in the can,” says Aguirre-Sacasa. “there’s no excuse, and there will never be a delay like there was been between Sabrina 1 and 2. Like, never. We are very, very lucky that we have an incredibly passionate and understanding fan base that is eager for the book.”

According to Aguirre-Sacasa, the fact that Afterlife and Sabrina took off among fans and critics alike was a big (yet pleasant) surprise to everyone involved.

“In retrospect, the idea of mixing teenagers and horror is like, the biggest no brainer on the planet!” says Aguirre-Sacasa. “It’s weird because, in Afterlife there are dark, dark things—but it’s also funny! Its tongue is planted firmly in its cheek. But with Sabrina, it’s really, really dark, and only getting darker. We’re halfway through issue three now, and I would say the darkest comic book I’ve written, and the weirdest comic book I’ve written.”

As for that mysterious third horror series, the publisher isn’t quite ready to reveal what it is just yet. But Aguirre-Sacasa was able to give us a pretty sizable set of clues.

“I can tell you that it will be centered around a major Archie character,” teases Aguirre-Sacasa. “She has appeared in one of our books before. And [the book] will be in a genre we have not explored or even hinted at in Sabrina—in Afterlife, we’ve only hinted at it a tiny, tiny bit. And it will be set in the present.”

Until the big reveal, Archie Horror fans have two new comics to look forward to. Afterlife with Archie #8—an homage to The Shining that will have its characters trapped in a hotel full of ghosts—willl be released under the new imprint May 6, 2015. Meanwhile, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2 —featuring the terrifying Madame Satan—will be released on April 15, 2015.

“[The Archie Horror books] have prompted the best work of our careers,” says Aguirre-Sacasa. “To take these iconic characters and reimagine them and place them in situations they’ve never been in before—it’s a blast, and I’m glad people are responding to it.”

Courtesy of Archie Comics, here’s a set of exclusive preview pages from Afterlife with Archie #8 and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2.

AfterlifeWithArchie8Cvr.jpg

Sabrina2Cvr.jpg

I bet we're seeing a horror spin on Josie and the Pussycats. Maybe a serial killer tale?

tumblr_lgik6uZhbb1qblu3bo1_500.gif

With Archie Horror and Dark Circle, Archie is fucking awesome.

These delays have been ridiculous. I hope they can get us on some kind of monthly/bi-monthly schedule.

Well, they're talking about Afterlife returning in May and Sabrina returning in April. Plus, trying to make it a new imprint, I think we'll be back on some sort of decent schedule. I know that the writer and crew at Archie have been working on Dark Circle, the new Archie reboot, and the Twin Peaks-esque TV series.

But I think now that they're starting up a new imprint, we're in luck with a good schedule.

What characters (female) can be the lead for the new horror title?

Josie and the Pussycats? Cheryl Blossom? Katy Keene (never heard of her ever)? Suzie? Ginger?

I just read the Archie wiki.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've always loved horror comics but my only exposure was Walking Dead and the EC books. Recently I picked up issue #1 of Providence and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and am really enjoying them! I intend to follow both series.

The art in Sabrina is fucking amazing. My only exposure to her is the old Melissa Joan Hart show so this is quite a change!

I've always loved horror comics but my only exposure was Walking Dead and the EC books. Recently I picked up issue #1 of Providence and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and am really enjoying them! I intend to follow both series.

The art in Sabrina is fucking amazing. My only exposure to her is the old Melissa Joan Hart show so this is quite a change!

Glad you're enjoying it! I picked up #2 after the extended wait, but no chance to read it yet :/

Not

Banned
Afterlife With Archie was such a breath of fresh air. Especially to someone who grew up with the characters like me

Toad.T

Banned
What characters (female) can be the lead for the new horror title?

Josie and the Pussycats? Cheryl Blossom? Katy Keene (never heard of her ever)? Suzie? Ginger?

I just read the Archie wiki.

Cricket O'Dell. Make it so that her smelling money shtick actually amounts to smelling possible clients for her paranormal crime-solving service. Like... Buffy meets Hellboy meets Ghost Sweeper Mikami (Props if you know who this is without Googling.)

This came out of nowhere, but I love these comics now, especially Afterlife with Archie. I hope Sabrina eventually does reach the point where Afterlife is and go more indepth into how Sabrina is
THE BRIDE OF CTHULU.

At the same time, I kinda hate Afterlife with Archie because it deprived me of a continuation in the Black Beetle series Francavilla was doing before he completely abandoned it. It was such a good throwback book to the days of the Shadow and the Spirit. And it's gone....

Horseticuffs

Man, I finished issue one of Sabrina and immediately bought the others. That ending knocked my socks off! The artwork constantly reminds me of vintage Halloween artwork, if for no other reason than the color palette used. The detail, too, is very reminiscent to the old EC books I loved so much.

I remember my kids went through a phase of watching the old TGIF show on like Hulu a while back, and then that gaf thread was made about The Chilling Adventures series and showed them because it sounds neat and I thought it strange that Archie comics was going at it so hard. I tell you guys, I wasn't three pages into the first issue before I had to screenshot and crop a panel to text to my oldest daughter because it was so amazing.

Unless the series goes into some really obscene sexual stuff as it goes further on or something I'd really like for my oldest to read it this summer too.

bengraven

Man, I finished issue one of Sabrina and immediately bought the others. That ending knocked my socks off! The artwork constantly reminds me of vintage Halloween artwork, if for no other reason than the color palette used. The detail, too, is very reminiscent to the old EC books I loved so much.

Goddamn you just sold me on "vintage Halloween artwork" alone. I fucking LOVE that shit.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I am raising this thread from the dead to say that this series is indeed incredible and the best pure Horror comic I've read in a long time. The combination of art and writing reminds me a lot of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. I just picked up all 4 issues at Comic Con and couldn't put it down. Shockingly good and perfect for Halloween. The wait for issue #5 though will be tough.

Horseticuffs

I am raising this thread from the dead to say that this series is indeed incredible and the best pure Horror comic I've read in a long time. The combination of art and writing reminds me a lot of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. I just picked up all 4 issues at Comic Con and couldn't put it down. Shockingly good and perfect for Halloween. The wait for issue #5 though will be tough.
You are spot on, my friend. Amazing, amazing work. The wait is indeed excruciating, but rest assured it'll be worth it.

Archie Horror is killing it. If you've not read any Afterlife with Archie I highly recommend that as well.

Zombine

Banned
I feel like there was still less time between this bump and the original post than there was between Sabrina #1 and #2.

I mean fuck me talk about a loss of momentum.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
You are spot on, my friend. Amazing, amazing work. The wait is indeed excruciating, but rest assured it'll be worth it.

Archie Horror is killing it. If you've not read any Afterlife with Archie I highly recommend that as well.

I've read the soft cover collection of Afterlife with Archie and it's great, but I need some clarification:

In Chilling Adventures,
Betty and Veronica are plainly identified as witches, albeit amateur ones, is this in line with their Afterlife versions? Is it all the same universe? I guess this may have come up in later issues but again, I only read the softcover collection.

Horseticuffs

I've read the soft cover collection of Afterlife with Archie and it's great, but I need some clarification:

In Chilling Adventures,
Betty and Veronica are plainly identified as witches, albeit amateur ones, is this in line with their Afterlife versions? Is it all the same universe? I guess this may have come up in later issues but again, I only read the softcover collection.
Best I can figure it they're separate universes, though thematically similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom