• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Chilling Adventures of Sabrina' Canceled at Netflix

brap

Banned
Hehe.

The Kiernan Shipka starrer will wrap its run with "part four" later this year.
Netflix is wrapping up another show.

The streamer announced Wednesday that Archie-verse drama The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina will end when it returns later this year for "part four."

“Working on Chilling Adventures of Sabrina has been an incredible honor from day one. The cast, beginning with Kiernan as everyone’s favorite teen witch, has been an absolute joy. I am beyond thankful to the crew, writers, editors, assistants, and everyone for pouring so much love into this dark dream of a show,” said showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. “I’m also grateful to our partners at Netflix, Warner Bros., Berlanti Television and Archie Comics for letting us tell the story we wanted to tell, the way we wanted to tell it. We can’t wait for everyone to see part four.”

The decision to end Sabrina wraps a particularly rough few days for Aguirre-Sacasa, whose Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene was canceled at The CW after one season and whose ABC pilot The Brides was passed over. The prolific showrunner and Archie Comics content chief still has a lucrative overall deal with producers Warner Bros. TV and the fifth season of Riverdale, his first series, coming back to The CW in 2021.

Sabrina, like Riverdale, was originally created for broadcast. Riverdale was first developed for Fox and moved to The CW, while Sabrina was designed as a spinoff for The CW it moved to Netflix with a two-season, 20-episode order. The series moved to Netflix after Riverdale became a monster hit for The CW thanks in part to new audiences finding the show's first season on Netflix and returning to the broadcast network for its second.

The show was renewed in late 2018 for "parts three and four" — aka seasons three and four — as part of a 16-episode order. Sources note that Netflix splits up seasons into two parts for select shows as part of a budget-conscious approach to select programming. While Netflix, like other streamers, does not release viewership information, Sabrina's first "part" had a favorable 80 percent audience score on Rotten Tomatoes (and a 90 percent among critics). After its first three parts, it now has an 84 percent rating among critics and a 69 percent with viewers.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
A2VWHGm.gif

teezzy

Banned
I've always kinda wanted to watch this tbh. Is it like Buffy at all? She's just a witch that... does Witch things? I know it's based on the recent comic run - correct?

Pagusas

Elden Member
The show lost me in its terrible first few episodes, I assume it got better? Felt like it lacked a soul and any sort of humor or self reflection. Dark for the sake of being dark without any light.

mango drank

Did it get better past the first episode? I remember trying to get through the first episode, couldn't get past Shipka's wooden, stilted delivery. Tried to like it, honestly, but it wasn't happening.

xrnzaaas

Santa Clarita Diet fans welcome you.

Netflix cancels originals when contract deals kick in and they become more expensive.

Dont get attached. Dont trust Netflix.
There's still a difference. Netflix promoted Sabrina quite well, but Santa Clarita Diet's marketing was non existant. I remember they didn't even advertise it on their main page when the last season arrived.

But yeah, it's strictly a business for them. Some shows will have their storylines stretched even if they should've ended with one or two seasons, some will be ended prematurely because otherwise they'd become too costly.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Get woke go broke.

Bahahahahahaaa... I actually had a good hardy laugh when they mentioned toppling the White patriarchy and the dude is like "wait, what?" and then just obediently nods as the conversation continues. LOL. A lemming of a person. The ideal male.

Last edited:
Between shows getting shit-canned early or running on for so long that they become terrible (GoT) I don't see any point in watching TV.

That said, i would like another season of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars

lock2k

Banned
Get woke go broke.

Watchout, someone will post that wonderful JPG of a neckbeard fat guy saying that and they will ridicule you. lol (and they think they meme hard).

Seriously though. I loved the show at the beginning - it did have a good premise, but it started to get insufferable after a while with all the virtue signaling SJW crap. Good riddance.

lock2k

Banned
Between shows getting shit-canned early or running on for so long that they become terrible (GoT) I don't see any point in watching TV.

That said, i would like another season of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars

Not the same kind of show, but Ozark is pretty good and it hasn't turned to shit until now (in the middle of season 2). I highly recommend it.

bucyou

watched this with the wife and thought it was decent.

although while not being religious, i really enjoy demons/angels/occult shit

Skyfox

I had the sense not to even click on a single episode.

I did enjoy the original Sabrina show though.

Reactions: MrS

TheUsual

Gold Member
I liked the first season even with the at-your-face-wokeness but the last season the girlfriend and I just gave up on as the plot became boring.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is good. The show will hopefully wrap up with a conclusive ending. I think the quality has been progressively declining but it is still fun to hear "Praise Satan!" 20 times a show :p

Dark Star

Season 1 was pretty good. I lost interest pretty much right after that Christmas special or whatever that was. They could have made the show a lot better if they focused on the horror/adventure aspect, and less on the school drama/boys.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Despite the obvious SJW virtue signalling, this show is the complete opposite in executing the plan. Sabrina is a narcissistic lesser villain and the witches themselves are again a range of Chaotic to Lawful Evil, having commited crimes like rape, cannibalism, child murder, and even intended combos like incestuous rape.

The weird conflict between the SJW intentions while also portraying gay people as sinners that make it easier to be possessed by demons and whose souls actually end up in hell is the WTF that keeps me watching the show.

Its like a mobius strip of virtue signalling and my mind is constantly trying to sort it out. Too bad its cancelled.

Top Bottom