• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Light creator Patrick Plourde has left Ubisoft after 19 years

Bullet Club

Child of Light creator Patrick Plourde has left Ubisoft after 19 years​

The developer still plans to work with Ubisoft as a consultant

7dyzruL.jpg

Veteran Ubisoft developer Patrick Plourde has left the company after almost 20 years.

Plourde, who was creative director of Child of Light, Watch Dogs 2 and Far Cry 3, plans to work as part of an independent consulting agency and continue to work with Ubisoft outside of its traditional corporate structure, he said.

“Most of my time will be working with Ubisoft, but now I’ll have a position outside a traditional structure (with mandate cross department) and I will be able to dabble with other fields outside gaming that I had eyes on for a while without having to ask my employer’s permission,” Plourde told Axios.

Axios journalist Stephen Totilo tweeted a statement given to him by Ubisoft in the wake of Plourde’s departure.

“We can confirm that Patrick is leaving Ubisoft but will provide consulting to some of our creative directors, at their request, and to the Editorial team on certain projects”, read the brief statement.

Since joining Ubisoft, Plourde has been credited across most of the publisher’s biggest franchises in various roles. Serving as a game designer and a level designer on the Assassin’s Creed series, he would then go on to work on Far Cry 3 as the creative director.

Following his work on Child of Light and Watch Dogs 2, Plourde moved into an editorial role within Ubisoft, where he remained until the end of his time with the company.

Source: VGC

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Child of Light was a highly pretentious mediocre game. Not sure why having it in the spotlight associated with his name.
No idea about Watch Dogs 2 and Far Cry 3, but maybe he should have lead with those.

Watch Dogs 2 essentially took the boring bland world of Watchdogs and turned it into some super pretentious teen drama full of millennial terrorists who randomly kill security guards because they are working for "the man" and deserve to be murdered due to this.

Like Watch Dogs at least had the decency to force none lethal leg shots, almost like the writing for the first game where aware that having the main character strait up kill otherwise innocent night watchman would have the character come across as an utter psychopath. Not so in Watch Dogs 2, murder away because capitalism is wrong and anyone who says otherwise needs to be culled.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Watch Dogs 2 essentially took the boring bland world of Watchdogs and turned it into some super pretentious teen drama full of millennial terrorists who randomly kill security guards because they are working for "the man" and deserve to be murdered due to this.

Like Watch Dogs at least had the decency to force none lethal leg shots, almost like the writing for the first game where aware that having the main character strait up kill otherwise innocent night watchman would have the character come across as an utter psychopath. Not so in Watch Dogs 2, murder away because capitalism is wrong and anyone who says otherwise needs to be culled.

Watch Dogs 2 had more personality than pretty much everything in Watch Dogs 1.

yurinka

He did a great job in Child of Light, Far Cry 3, the best one in the series for what it was when released. A lot of people liked Watchdogs 2 and I liked some things about it but disliked many other things about it and missed to have the original main character back.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Watch Dogs 2 had more personality than pretty much everything in Watch Dogs 1.

Ironically I believe Watchdogs has retroactively gained a more unique personality... because since Ubisoft has been working hard on what we will dub their "Soy Latte" series of titles.

MV5BM2EzNmU3NGYtYTcyMy00M2M1LTkyMGUtYjFlNGE0OTFmYmMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg

FC_New_Dawn_cover_art.jpg

TCXD_KEYART_REVEAL_2_8_15PM_CET-4951160f59c2b919e63.25958109-9656.jpg

66db6d63-hyp_keyart_s2_wide_rgb_with_logo.jpg

MV5BZjMwNmVjZGMtNjQ1Ni00ZjdjLWI1OTQtYzcwNzAyMjBiODAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg

I guess you could call it the "gaming for vegans" demographic too. It all just blends into the same sort of mess. In a way Watchdogs now stands out in the Ubisoft crowd by being more unique compared to its other titles and sequels released afterwards.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Ironically I believe Watchdogs has retroactively gained a more unique personality... because since Ubisoft has been working hard on what we will dub their "Soy Latte" series of titles.

MV5BM2EzNmU3NGYtYTcyMy00M2M1LTkyMGUtYjFlNGE0OTFmYmMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg

MV5BZjMwNmVjZGMtNjQ1Ni00ZjdjLWI1OTQtYzcwNzAyMjBiODAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY0MTE3NzU@._V1_.jpg

I guess you could call it the "gaming for vegans" demographic too. It all just blends into the same sort of mess. In a way Watchdogs now stands out in the Ubisoft crowd by being more unique compared to its other titles and sequels released afterwards.
I feel like you havent played WD2 based on those shit comparisons. Can you confirm and prove that you played and finished as well as the others in your example so I can begin to prove you wrong? Else if u havent this discussion is useless. Sorry if u hate variety and prefer generic shit. Ill end this by saying WD2 is a work of art compared to most stuff Ubisoft did incl ur examples.

Myths

Child of Light was wonderful in what it was trying to do, almost like a pop-up book for me. Shame nothing was taken further with the game.

Why criticize the person? Just tell them you think they are wrong.
It’s getting old to see “cringe” and “pretentious” are thrown around on the internet without much else of an explanation added as to why something is.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

For real, I always liked the more gritty tone of WD1. Aiden was cool with the suits and masks.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I feel like you havent played WD2 based on those shit comparisons. Can you confirm and prove that you played and finished as well as the others in your example so I can begin to prove you wrong? Else if u havent this discussion is useless. Sorry if u hate variety and prefer generic shit. Ill end this by saying WD2 is a work of art compared to most stuff Ubisoft did incl ur examples.

Jesus what a fucking list of demands, can confirm I played it but haven't finished, I quit after the worlds most insufferable bus ride to rip off Google and never went back, it was actually this game followed by wildlands that turned me off Ubisoft games for good.

But you know what... every time you post from now on just for fun, I'm going to bring up a list of demands before you allowed to have an opinion, just so I can start coming across as a soy latte drinking dougebag.

For real, I always liked the more gritty tone of WD1. Aiden was cool with the suits and masks.

You forgot his... "ICONIC" baseball cap.

Last edited:
horse-1.jpg

This is also a work of art. Would you pay me $60 for it?

:messenger_winking_tongue:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Jesus what a fucking list of demands, can confirm I played it but haven't finished, I quit after the worlds most insufferable bus ride to rip off Google and never went back, it was actually this game followed by wildlands that turned me off Ubisoft games for good.

But you know what... every time you post from now on just for fun, I'm going to bring up a list of demands before you allowed to have an opinion, just so I can start coming across as a soy latte drinking dougebag.

Not demanding anything, just wanted to know if I should bother or not. You answered my question. Thank you. Its fine not to like things but comparing shit to actual good stuff when you havent played either is...stupid. You should give WD2 another chance. You might see it differently these days. I've played and finished most ubisoft games and I understand the hate, most of their stuff is tedious but I genuinely believe WD2 despite being something more unique and hippie which as a reminder this came before all the huge woke/blm stuff, is one of their best works. Looking at steam which are the most anti-woke/racists bunch in most places as well as ubisoft/uplay haters, the game is at very positive. I believe even when it came out, most ppl on gaf as well thought the game was much better. Legion is a turd compared to it.

Last edited:

emivita

I so loved Child of Light. It also has one of the best ending song EVER. So many good memories attached to it.

If you have Switch, there's a physical edition of the game that also includes Valiant Hearts, another Ubiart fantastic game, with beautiful art, music and story. If you haven't yet, play both. And prepare a lot of tissues, especially for Valiant Hearts fucking ending.

Top Bottom