• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Abuse Scandal in UK grows to implicate MPs, celebs - Update Posts #900/#1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a lunatic by the end of it. It became a self-important quest and he started crossing the line with some of his claims and insinuations. Instead of spreading knowledge and informing people of the uncovered facts, he started muddying the landscape with speculation and libellous, unsubstantiated nonsense.

It's got to the point where he's damaged the entire purpose of his crusade: getting people in the know. Now he looks like a crazy and nobody takes him seriously, so all the work is for, essentially, nothing. His intentions were noble but the execution was clumsy and often weird.

I don't understand why people have been arseholes to Deck'ard for the last page or two... and I don't understand why people are now eager to dismiss the thread as somehow spoiled or as a topic no longer worth discussing.

I don't understand why people have been arseholes to Deck'ard for the last page or two... and I don't understand why people are now eager to dismiss the thread as somehow spoiled or as a topic no longer worth discussing.

The problem is that anyone can simply point at this post and say "he's a nutjob, don't listen to him". He's spoilt his argument.

As soon as he was acting like an asshole to CyclopsRock everyone should've put him straight, but instead people were content to indulge in his delusions and encourage his behaviour.

It became very clear, very quickly after that that the entire thing was about him and his mission but his posts were still being paraded around, put in thread titles and looked upon like they were sacred facts.

He double, thriple, quadruple posted without anyone saying a word: he dominated every aspect of the thread. He threw his "Worms" weight around and continually attacked anyone who dared to question him.

In the end though I feel sorry for him, since he's clearly lost the plot, his latest posts are unintellegible ranblings of a mind that is clearly unwell. I hope he can get some help soon.

Because it's gone from a thread where he was linking together lots of interesting bits of information and providing a good summary of the scandal, to cryptic posts which mean absolutely nothing to any of us, and seem to revolve more around his 'mission' than the actual topic at hand.

Reading Deck'ard's posts gives me a feeling sorta like if 10 jeff_rigbys just showed up at my house wearing crystals and raw steaks.

It's also sorta like reading the FBI facebook page.

Vagabundo

Because it's gone from a thread where he was linking together lots of interesting bits of information and providing a good summary of the scandal, to cryptic posts which mean absolutely nothing to any of us, and seem to revolve more around his 'mission' than the actual topic at hand.

And those posts remain. He was one of the few posters actually contributing anything useful. One of the few posters actually trying to get some visibility on it.

Even if he is wrong, incomplete, a raving lunatic (I dont think you are Deck'ard) the point remains; there seems to be strong links to the Tory government and it looks like it is all being swept under the rug.

Mad_Ban

The middle of page 25 (50ppp) is where everything starts to get less about the topic at hand, and more about promoting a bar and some quite far out views. The shift is quite sudden too. I hope Deck'ard is okay.

East Lake

This is like a microcosm of the entire scandal. We have all this new information on child abuse rings and one big misstep wipes it all away. The story shifts, we go talk about being outraged over football management or something.

Sir Cyril Smith: Former MP sexually abused boys, police say

Sir Cyril Smith was a sex abuser of boys in the late 1960s, police admit.

The news comes as the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) accepts he should have been charged with the crimes more than 40 years ago.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the boys "were victims of physical and sexual abuse" by the late Rochdale MP.

Despite not being charged, after inquiries in 1970, 1998, and 1999, the CPS stressed changes in procedure mean a prosecution would be pursued today.

Evidence now made public indicates a file was compiled by Lancashire Constabulary in 1970, contained allegations made by eight men that they had been subjected to indecent assaults by Sir Cyril, when they were teenagers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20516533

mclem

I seriously hope not because if it is true, my childhood just died :(

If there's any truth to the hints, it's very much a "Say it ain't so" moment. That said, Twitter, pinch of salt an' all that.

(As an aside, I did a search for 80-year-old on Twitter, and as well as a few 80-year-olds it came up with lots of matches for 20-year-old - but not any *other* ages. Seems an odd bit of fuzzy searching, there)

daviyoung

Banned
If you spoonerise his name it sounds like a dog's saying it

I like the way Dave's all like 'yeh, knew it'. Whatever man, it'll be someone else next, then you'll be shocked.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I like the way Dave's all like 'yeh, knew it'. Whatever man, it'll be someone else next, then you'll be shocked.

There is no more shocking me. It's like this is the blackest comedy ever, I would not be surprised if the news was actually a very clever Brooker/Morris skit. The ante needs to be upped. I vote Brucie next.

SmokyDave

The person you mentioned pre-edit wouldn't surprise me either.

I'm just a miserable, cynical bastard.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
There's only one way to solve this. Everyone has to abuse a kid, then we're all equal.

I'm like Alexander cutting Gordian Knots left right and centre.

He is the only one that wouldn't shock me tbh, I never would have said Savile or the rest of them though. My paedar is off-piste.

We must all be retarded.

image-8-for-the-real-jimmy-saville-gallery-584642951.jpg

I mean for fucks sake, he was even bessy mates with gary glitter.

There is no more shocking me. It's like this is the blackest comedy ever, I would not be surprised if the news was actually a very clever Brooker/Morris skit. The ante needs to be upped. I vote Brucie next.

A lot of the reactions - including in this thread, in fact - are exactly the kind of reactions that Morris was lampooning in Brasseye.

mclem

I do hope 'released without charge' means 'nothing happened' or perhaps 'he had some other useful information' rather than 'we can't pin it on him'. Yeah, I'm still in 'say it ain't so' mode.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Depends on whether that's a clue or a straight up naming. If it's a clue to another person, no.

What's the correct reaction? Aloof detachment?

Pretty much. The problem is that people get whipped up into a frenzy at the mere thought of children. Yes it's emotive but people lose all common sense . I bet if you did a vox pop and told everyday folks in the street that Sir Jimmy (has he still got the title??) had crab DNA they would believe you.

There's no detachment and there's certainly no innocent until proven guilty.

What's the correct reaction? Aloof detachment?
You'll have to ask Chris Morris, but I think he was trying to point out that people allow their emotional response override their rational one when it comes to crimes they find abhorrent. This is rarely conducive to delivering justice.

mclem

Very surprised and quite saddened to hear today's charges against Stuart Hall.

I do hope he didn't do it in a giant foam beefeater's outfit or something.

Max Clifford, too. I'm very curious to see how that turns out.

(I notice these reports aren't saying 'with children'. Is that implicit from Yewtree anyway, or is it more from an 'abuse of power' side of things and could easily be referring to adults?)

Mindwipe

I do hope he didn't do it in a giant foam beefeater's outfit or something.

Max Clifford, too. I'm very curious to see how that turns out.

(I notice these reports aren't saying 'with children'. Is that implicit from Yewtree anyway, or is it more from an 'abuse of power' side of things and could easily be referring to adults?)

The Hall one did say with children. I don't think it can be taken as implicit. The Dave Lee Travis arrest wasn't in connection with anyone underage IIRC.

mclem

Louis Theroux has the touch of death! Paul Daniels next?!

Well, there was that story about the Hamiltons that broke while he was with them...

I guess that doesn't count because it was right when he was visiting, not long after, and (if I remember right) they were completely exonerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom