• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Check out these new screenshots of nextgen Need for Speed, truly gave me that "Wow!" factor that was missing from the GT7 unveiling.

I don't think it looks any better or worse. I wasn't particularly impressed by the GT7 demo but to be clear, I didn't think it looked bad or even average, it still looked great, but I feel like it looked pretty on par with FH4. I agree with the sentiment that diminishing returns will hit racing games the hardest as they were already pretty accurate/detailed. I'm sure if I saw GT7 running at 4k/60 in front of me I'd be impressed, but more impressed than FH4? Hard to say.
We have reached a point where sometimes I literally can't say if racing games photos taken with photomode are real pictures or videogames.

But people still see them and are like "Mmmh, no, not impressed.."

I'm not a fan of racing games, but I tried the Forza Horizon 4 on my Xbox One X and I was mindblown, I can't imagine racing games looks much better then this, even with more powerful hardware.

Example:
54o76mtzdp121.jpg

These look like they were touched-up a little bit in Photoshop (color correction). Not taking away from amazing graphics in FH4, I love that game.

Last edited:

bargeparty

These look like they were touched-up a little bit in Photoshop (color correction). Not taking away from amazing graphics in FH4, I love that game.

I'm pretty sure that second picture is real life....

And the Forza picture has it's own issues for sure. At a glance it looks good, but the low quality reflections and shadows stand out especially. Something RT will fix.

I'm pretty sure that second picture is real life....

And the Forza picture has it's own issues for sure. At a glance it looks good, but the low quality reflections and shadows stand out especially. Something RT will fix.
True about the second picture! I was looking at it on my phone, it's hard to tell a difference. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Like you said, if they can implement RTX in FH5 it will blow our freaking minds. That and better foliage and I will be super happy.

Coming back to NFS, I really hope it's more like 2010 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit in gameplay structure. Pick race from a menu and go. If they can't make it better than Horizon, then why even try.

If you're referring to the second image, it's a real image. I believe that's just a comparison to show the realism of the in-game car. Top is FH4, bottom is real.

RaySoft

We have reached a point where sometimes I literally can't say if racing games photos taken with photomode are real pictures or videogames.

I'm not a fan of racing games, but I tried the Forza Horizon 4 on my Xbox One X and I was mindblown, I can't imagine racing games looks much better then this, even with more powerful hardware.

Example:
54o76mtzdp121.jpg
The scenery always gives it away though, so for everyone thinking graphics "can't get better" should know we are far from photo realism yet.

Edit: But it's a nice car model. FH4(?) clearly used their budget wisely.

Last edited:

kikonawa

Gran Turismo looks great but it's way too clean. It's sterile. You can tell its a video game cause it depicts everything in a close controlled environment. The cars are perfect and ultra clean, the camera angles are perfectly aligned, there is close to no dramatism in the camera action, always on focus.

This looks more realistic cause it has those imperfections that gt lacks.

It's a style difference. Both look great.

i think GT7 is quite early in development

Example:
54o76mtzdp121.jpg

I can easily tell the difference in still shots like that. Maybe in motion it would be more difficult, but I feel we still have a ways to go yet.

mortal

Gold Member
Really? It does look really nice, but that was just from a brief sizzle reel of mostly tech demos.
Those random seconds of footage does hardly anything for me tbh

The GT7 footage we seen so far had the game actually running in realtime at 4k/60fps with raytracing on a PS5.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo looks great but it's way too clean. It's sterile. You can tell its a video game cause it depicts everything in a close controlled environment. The cars are perfect and ultra clean, the camera angles are perfectly aligned, there is close to no dramatism in the camera action, always on focus.

This looks more realistic cause it has those imperfections that gt lacks.

It's a style difference. Both look great.

These games are if a car commercial turned into a race.

Pejo

Current gen, the cars are as good as they're ever going to look. I don't think that there's much real estate left there for improving. Obviously better resolutions and AA will help, but in smaller amounts overall.

The next big "wow" moment for sim racers is going to be when they get the environment up to par with the car models. I thought Driveclub did a really great job with this last gen, especially with camera effects and weather. That's the next horizon for racing games, IMO.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Forza Horizon 4 is still the best looking racing game now. Everyone focuses on how the cars look and the fact is, cars look great in all games. We are past the point of having real looking cars a couple of generations ago. So now the comparison should be the environments. Sorry, but i can't take a racing game, that still uses 2D or cardboard foliage, seriously in 2020. And from the footage i saw, GT7 on PS5 looks like it still uses those 2D elements. And don't give me the 60fps excuse. Forza Motosport 4 (not Horizon) on the freaking XBOX360 had great looking 3D environments with fully 3D foliage that still looks great and that game also run at 60fps. Same with Project Cars on current consoles. I just don't get this kind of step back in the later Forza Motosport and GT games.

Last edited:
Forza Horizon 4 is still the best looking racing game now. Everyone focuses on how the cars look and the fact is, cars look great in all games. We are past the point of having real looking cars a couple of generations ago. So now the comparison should be the environments. Sorry, but i can't take a racing game, that still uses 2D or cardboard foliage, seriously in 2020. And from the footage i saw, GT7 on PS5 looks like it still uses those 2D elements. And don't give me the 60fps excuse. Forza Motosport 4 (not Horizon) on the freaking XBOX360 had great looking 3D environments with fully 3D foliage that still looks great and that game also run at 60fps. Same with Project Cars on current consoles. I just don't get this kind of step back in the later Forza Motosport and GT games.

No lies detected

Neo_game

Photo mode current gen look amazing. But I think 30fps arcade games should have more detail. It could also be that there will not be any 30fps racing games next gen ?

Last edited:

Miles708

Nice!
Being able to see the game in such an early state, still with all the placeholder assets, is so cool!

Top Bottom