• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating Has Destroyed Call of Duty MP on Consoles (and Activision Cannot Fix)

bit_blaster

Neo Member
I suck at cod yet I still have fun with it online, especially with friends.

Having game journalist mode online just sounds boring.

Try dynamite.
SlowImmenseChupacabra-size_restricted.gif

rolandss

This is the first I've ever ever seen or heard of console hardware based cheats. I must be living under a rock. Yet another reason to chalk up to not playing CoD for me anymore.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Dude, the hacking in Red Dead Online is unreal. I know it is more of a PVE and casual game, but gdam can it get annoying. This is after Rockstar finally did something and hired anti-cheat managers, put in cheat monitoring protocols leading to banned accounts, and sent legal threats to the 'mod menus.' I was actually just trying to enjoy some time with my gf in the game the other day, and a hacker forced her to quit for now. I don't see how this is good for game sales tbh.

Last edited:

Warablo

This all started because of Rainbow Six Siege, but really this has probably been going on for a long time but only really noticed it on Siege. Battle royale modes I am sure people use them but usually no replay feature.

I don't see why they can't block the device id, doesn't it plug in via usb?
Companies can release updates that detect them but usually the companies that make the device releases patches to keep them working, AKA tricking the console into thinking its a controller.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
This is the first I've ever ever seen or heard of console hardware based cheats. I must be living under a rock. Yet another reason to chalk up to not playing CoD for me anymore.
It's not just COD though. People use M+K adapters in pretty much every single online competitive game to cheat. These new ones can just do lots more, like eliminating recoil

It's a disaster - it's now being used in every cunsole shooter. At least on PC cheaters are getting banned, but on consoles they can cheat forever. AI should be able to recognize the patterns that are not possible with gamepads and ban those cheaters , but publishers clearly do not care as nothings being done.

One of the main issues is they can just turn these things on or off with a button during gameplay as they wish e.g. only use for the important parts of the games/encounters. They can also be tuned to specific weapons only etc. It's also a highly scripted and configurable device so they can tweak it e.g. only halt recoil 50% instead of the full 100% or change it day by day etc. The AI wouldn't be able to train for all the variations in the forums of these devices or the users can just tweak things to stay ahead of the AI methods/trends. There is a distinct lack of the industry coming together legally and software/hardware anti-cheat wise to stamp this out. Honestly it's getting to the point of every single game at high levels and even asshole cheaters in social playlists too.

Last edited:
I swear to God I don't understand what u get out of using these devices , like u know u cheated,I mean how low can u get

Scrubs like to feel like they're good at something. And the cheaters will always tell you that if they play for real they would absolutely wreck you, but wouldn't ever dare actually put that to the test.

rolandss

It's not just COD though. People use M+K adapters in pretty much every single online competitive game to cheat. These new ones can just do lots more, like eliminating recoil
Man I have totally missed this boat. I did play the hell out of Modern Warfare and enjoy it around the release window, and do play games like battlefield and stuff from time to time. I thought cheating was the realm of PC games, but fuck if it's as easy as buying a dongle on the console, then that really sours my taste.

the only real competitive game I play online at the moment is Gran Turismo Sport. I wouldn't expect there's cheating there, but who knows.

nush

Gold Member
I don't see why they can't block the device id, doesn't it plug in via usb?

Yes, if the VID/PID is unique, but if they have just copied those codes from another licensed device then you'll also block all the legitimate products that use those codes. I think (Not sure) that you can take legal action to a manufacturer that uses codes not assigned to them.

Klik

Just watched OP's video.

There's no way I'm playing against console players now in BF2042. The good thing is that Battlefield is popular on PC so I don't have to worry about matchmaking taking forever to throw me into a game.

Any control device that needs computer assistance in a video game is trash and was never meant for that genre anyway. So glad Halo finally came to PC.
I'm console and pc gamer. Cheating is so much more rampant on PC, its not even comparable,and so many different severe type of cheats.

Very small minority of players use recoil cheat device on console. And honestly if Recoil cheat was the only problem in PC cheating it would be alright. You cant really compare radar cheat, aimbot, unlimited health cheats etc with recoil cheats.

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't know if you've played Call of Duty MP on a console lately (and ESPECIALLY in the PSN ecosystem), but no-recoil cheaters have completely destroyed the game. Despite Activision claiming to go after "third party software vendors", that won't ever stop the CoD console cheaters as they aren't using software. No matter how much Activision claims they update their anti-cheat solution, it'll never work because the cheaters (mostly on PS4) are NOT using software but HARDWARE.

Say hello to the next-generation Game Genie:

The ONLY way to detect this is to watch the replay kill cams. The game software cannot detect it as it's external USB hardware. This is why Treyarch added the theater mode so people can record the cheaters, but you actually have to go out of your way to do that as there's no way for the game itself to detect them.

Presumably the only way to fix this would be on a hardware-level fix from Sony and MS where the system won't recognize the device when it's plugged in.

CROSS PLAY WITH PC is what actually killed MP in COD.

One of the main issues is they can just turn these things on or off with a button during gameplay as they wish e.g. only use for the important parts of the games/encounters. They can also be tuned to specific weapons only etc. It's also a highly scripted and configurable device so they can tweak it e.g. only halt recoil 50% instead of the full 100% or change it day by day etc. The AI wouldn't be able to train for all the variations in the forums of these devices or the users can just tweak things to stay ahead of the AI methods/trends. There is a distinct lack of the industry coming together legally and software/hardware anti-cheat wise to stamp this out. Honestly it's getting to the point of every single game at high levels and even asshole cheaters in social playlists too.
The publishers demanding for short bans from devs doesn't help either. When I first heard that many games have bans for just a week for cheating I almost lost it. Naturally you'd think it should be a life time sentence ip and hardware ban from the game and all the upcoming games and services, [Steam, xbl, psn and others] but no. It's a joke.

what exactly do u win if u cheat in an online game?

i'd understand if they were winning point

whats the point of cheating to win if u know deep down inside u didnt really win?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You remind me how fun split screen was with my buddies ha, no cheating there

🔥

Halo, Street Fighter, Smash Brothers, etc on the couch with your buddies...

Sigh, good old times, sniff.. *wipes single tear*

Nowdays all my couch action takes place in my backroom

Last edited:
It's very prevalent. Have a look at these people that I constantly see on PUBG on Xbox, all clearly cheating when you watch their kill cam as they have zero recoil:

Jannockz's Recent Matches | PUBG Lookup
b u n g m o o t's Recent Matches | PUBG Lookup
iV Grave's Recent Matches | PUBG Lookup

Every time I get killed by them I report them on xbox, I've used the official online form on their website to report them, and nothing ever happens. They all play squads, and everyone in their squad always just have laser like aim with high powered scopes on assault rifles. There's at least a dozen of them right there.
Looked up the first guy on gamerdvr.com, seemed like pretty normal PUBG clips, he looted all the right attachments, he crouches for the recoil bonus when he can. From his stats you can see he's got like 6500 BR games. From his clips you can also see that he practices in TDM a lot.

So I Googled the name, found:

So, a sweaty APAC region player who even goes so far as to organize competitive games...

Meanwhile you provide zero clips, just "waahhhhhhh look at his stats."

Lazy half-assed hackusations don't help matters either.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Looked up the first guy on gamerdvr.com, seemed like pretty normal PUBG clips, he looted all the right attachments, he crouches for the recoil bonus when he can. From his stats you can see he's got like 6500 BR games. From his clips you can also see that he practices in TDM a lot.

So I Googled the name, found:

So, a sweaty APAC region player who even goes so far as to organize competitive games...

Meanwhile you provide zero clips, just "waahhhhhhh look at his stats."

Lazy half-assed hackusations don't help matters either.

Nope, you don’t gun people down from 200+ metres away with a 6x on an akm with basically missing no shots. He’s a known cheater on the Oceania server.

Zero recoil. Cheating. He’s bloody red dot sight killing people with care package assault rifles from a hundred metres away while shooting fully automatic and barely missing a bullet. Cheating.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I have never had an issue topping out in leader boards on console year after year on console. Get good scrubs.

Warzone infected PC hacking has completely ruined a game to unplayable levels but.

GreatnessRD

All of these companies can fix the issue. Its simple... they don't want to.

But that's neither here nor there. I'm sure even through their fraudulence, at the end of the day, the cheaters know they're ass cheeks and suffer in silence. Gotta suck knowing you're still a trashcan that hasn't been atop the leaderboards.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Cheating on console has been around for many years. Its just that the console players perpetuate the fake narrative that there's no cheating on consoles, to excuse away the online fee and to make console gaming sounds nicer.

Nope, you don’t gun people down from 200+ metres away with a 6x on an akm with basically missing no shots. He’s a known cheater on the Oceania server.

Zero recoil. Cheating. He’s bloody red dot sight killing people with care package assault rifles from a hundred metres away while shooting fully automatic and barely missing a bullet. Cheating.

Ooooh he's a known cheater.... because of 6x AKM.... so why not upload your 6x AKM clip? Because, despite that highlight clip you posted taking me back to the 240p era, I squinted real hard and there actually isn't a single AKM kill in it. And I'm not sure why you're singling out the 'care package assault rifles'. In the context of the clip that means the AUG which is the lowest recoil AR in the game.

Sure vertical recoil can be automated... but it can also just be learned and compensated for.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Cheating on console has been around for many years. Its just that the console players perpetuate the fake narrative that there's no cheating on consoles, to excuse away the online fee and to make console gaming sounds nicer.
While people still cheat a lot on console (mostly KB+M XIM users) on games like Siege for example. It's still far better than going against hacks, which I've never seen on console Siege in my 2000+ hours. Maybe it does happen, but it's extremely rare for straight up hacking to occur. Meanwhile you watch any clip/stream/gameplay on PC and you'll almost always see a steady stream of banned users popping up.

TLDR: Yes, people cheat on consoles, but PC hacks are still 10x worse.

wvnative

I HATE THIS SO MUCH

If any of you know my post history, you may recall me discussing these devices, and how it's a lifesaver for folks like me with major disabilities.

Yet they are marketed as, and primarily used, as, cheating devices. And Sony is definitely trying to combat them as they don't work on newer PS5 games.

I've had to switch several pre-orders to xbox because of it...

...AND I CAN'T EVEN BLAME YOUTUBERS AND THREADS LIKE THIS DEMONIZING THE DEVICE!

Like, as someone who doesn't want it banned, it's hard to be mad at Sony for trying to ban it, I play siege a lot and yeah...there are way more people using cheating scripts than you might think.

The situation sucks all around.

I'm with the guy that said they need some detection algorithm to just pick up when people are playing un-realisticly good, so as to just punish the cheaters and not those who depend on it to play.

decisions

Both console and PC are filled with cheaters. Many of the big Warzone streamers also use them and it’s painfully obvious but Activision doesn’t give a fuck because the streamers make the game bigger and they will likely reboot Warzone with MW2 next year and honestly I don’t think they expected it to be as long-lasting as it has been.

recursive

I think it could've been solved by forcing the controllers by a FW update to communicate solely via BT, so that even when connected by USB the cable only serves for charging, while all the commands come wirelessly.
This might solve a CoD issue but would mess up things for fightsticks and such where wired is the way to go.

Phase

Single player games, now is your time! With all the cheating and now China doing its totalitarian things.

Excited Lets Go GIF

Last edited:

SAMZ

Yeah cheaters are shit and i really despise it but i have always been a firm believer of it's the devs/platforms fault rather than the person exploiting it.

You kill a weed and it comes back.

Where is the fun in doing this? I don't get it at all.
Guy plays without cheating, he gets his ass handed to him constantly
he gets mad at people playing better than him, the developers, whatever
Guy uses cheats to win: Suck this motherfxckxrs, I'm the best, Yeahhh!

Because the device registers as a controller, where the keyboard and mouse is connected.

The console simply detects the input as a controller.

However, epic could for some reason detect them at some point
If you can see it in the replay, there must be a way for the console to detect it.

The cheating device must be making corrections to the aim that are humanly impossible.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Ooooh he's a known cheater.... because of 6x AKM.... so why not upload your 6x AKM clip? Because, despite that highlight clip you posted taking me back to the 240p era, I squinted real hard and there actually isn't a single AKM kill in it. And I'm not sure why you're singling out the 'care package assault rifles'. In the context of the clip that means the AUG which is the lowest recoil AR in the game.

Sure vertical recoil can be automated... but it can also just be learned and compensated for.
Because I don't keep clips of him around. I grabbed the very first link off his insta that clearly shows zero recoil. You can't "compensate for" vertical recoil like that lol. Especially not while tracking people 100m+ away.

I haven't had any real desire to play any Call of Duty online ever, and I haven't seriously touched a COD game since MW2. I only play for the campaigns. So if this is indeed the case, then I'll just continue to never bother supporting any Call of Duty game and just seek my gaming enjoyment elsewhere.

Because I don't keep clips of him around.
I see, so when you 'report' them on the PUBG website as you said... you don't bother to upload and link clips of obvious cheating.
I grabbed the very first link off his insta that clearly shows zero recoil. You can't "compensate for" vertical recoil like that lol. Especially not while tracking people 100m+ away.
Maybe you can't.
ancient aliens face GIF

A) learn how to track.
B) learn how to pull down at a constant rate and build muscle memory for weapons/scopes.
C) Combine the two.

You're welcome.

How much time do you have on PUBG? Care to link your stats?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If you can see it in the replay, there must be a way for the console to detect it.

The cheating device must be making corrections to the aim that are humanly impossible.
Both yes and no.

It doesn't work 1:1 like it does on a PC.

I have actually tried the Xim Apex, and while being easier for someone not enjoying using a controller, it wasn't like playing on a PC at all.

All the Xim does is basically emulating a controller, as in you have your mouse as the one stick and the keyboard as the other.

As long as you react like what's possible on a controller, you are good to go. But if you prefer twitchy settings with high api, then it goes downhill very fast.

The reason behind this, is, basically that the Xim emulates the controller. If you go faster than what a controller is physically capable of doing, you get a very high amount of mouse stuttering, or smoothing, and makes the aim more or less impossible.

So, it is hard to detect, as the device is limited to how a controller outputs movements, and gives the user a penalty for "reacting faster than what's possible with a controller".

Because of this, it is more or less impossible for Microsoft or Sony to detect it.

Epic games could detect some people using a Xim, but doing so could be an issue as its software based, and not detected by the machines hardware, which can turn into a falsely ban.

Three

Yeah cheaters are shit and i really despise it but i have always been a firm believer of it's the devs/platforms fault rather than the person exploiting it.

You kill a weed and it comes back.
What do you suggest the dev or platform holder do about these devices? It's affecting every single fps game.

The OP has even forgot that Cold War and Warzone are crossplay. Unless he bitches about no crossplay in other games and then goes ahead and turns off crossplay in his games.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Scrubs like to feel like they're good at something. And the cheaters will always tell you that if they play for real they would absolutely wreck you, but wouldn't ever dare actually put that to the test.

Some cheaters are so bad they can't even win WHILE CHEATING.

Brings back heartwarming memories of Halo 1 on PC and Starcraft BW. I would outsmart aimbot users and get a much bigger rise than if I shut down a legit player.

My favorite cheater of all time made a Starcraft map with a giant wall in the middle. Only his side of the map had any minerals. I played dumb and acted coy in conversation letting him think I was so devastated. In reality, while he was distracted by my feigned helplessness, I had floated my command center to his side of the map and built up marines. When his few wraiths were overrun with marines I still remember typing "didn't think your cunning plan all the way through, eh dipshit?"

Good times, good times.

Top Bottom