• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Heat; a banger action survival horror game from Taito...but what are other deep cut horror titles for October?

VGEsoterica

Chaos Heat is a banger of a video game that sadly never got ported home to the PS1 even though it runs on the Taito G-Net, which is just a PS1 with a pivot to CF memory card storage vs the optical discs of PSX proper...and damn it does it suck it never got brought home because its legit RE meets Dino Crisis except with mutants in space and made by Taito.

Because honestly who doesn't want to shoot mutant zombies and other mutant monsters this Halloween season. It has a legit vibe going on (kind of feels like a more modern version of "The Thing) with some awesome PS1 era graphics, a straight up great soundtrack and the gameplay is an absolute blast. Feels a bit like Die Hard Arcade meets Dynamite Deka...except somehow weirder and less weird at the same time.

Def a game you can check out too w/o needing to buy a G-Net arcade board if you know how to get it running via emulation. Even better with a friend and some beers. Just a shame this is such a hidden gem / obscure game because Taito hit a home run with it and then dropped the ball by not porting it.

There is a pseudo-sequel called Chaos Break, which IS on the PS1 as an exclusive. SO Taito managed to NOT port Chaos Heat, which ran ON PS1 hardware, but did decide to give us a sequel? Makes zero sense...but hey, it happens

But that got me thinking...what are your deep cut survival horror-esque picks for Halloween this year Gaf? because I need new stuff to play...and I can't be the only one!

VGEsoterica

Fdvl0ul.jpg

The sequel. Also legit

Fdvl0ul.jpg

The sequel. Also legit
One of the best survival horrors ever, I got a PAL copy of it and it's really good. I got lost later in the game, as a great survival horror should make one feel. I distinctly remember emulating it and it gave me that epic feeling RE0 and other great survival horrors gave...like exploring the atmosphere, being stuck on puzzles while ambient music is looping...it's awesome

But to answer the OP, Kwaidan is really good on Steam, and it was made by one person too!

Also, and don't sleep on this one! Withering Rooms, also by one person:

Top Bottom