• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO Jim Ryan: "VR still unproven, but really intriguing" (It’s not clear when this interview was conducted)

Boss Mog

I wasn't really interested in VR, then I tried it and was like wow, this is fucking amazing. Astro Bot blew my mind, it managed to beat that feeling I had as kid playing Mario 64 for the first time. I can't imagine playing RE8 not in VR after playing RE7 in VR. It's that amazing and it's only going to get better. Imagine a PSVR2 launch bundle with Half-Life Alyx, I'd be on that shit like white on rice. The only thing that was sorely lacking with the PSVR was adequate controllers (because the PS moves are shit) but it looks like Sony is prepping true VR controllers for PSVR 2.

cormack12

Gold Member
Oculus released like eight years ago and we are still waiting for a killer title. No, astrobot is not that title. There have been Vive, PSVR, Quest, Gear - the issue is not hardware providers it's compelling software. Alyx is the level of software you're going to need and a lot of it. Until then, it's a gimmick that people will try and put down quickly. I know because I have a PSVR. Some of the demo's showed promise but some were awful. I've saw them in expo's with groups playing gang beasts etc, and also sim stations for engineering.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
id be tempted to pick up a PSVR2, my current one Gen1 is a right fucking pain in the hole to get out and set up with the sheer amount of cables and wires so it pretty much stays boxed up, i loved loved SKyrimVR but dayam those PS3 graphics start to grate after a while and well now we have no mission of a PS5 patch for it to maybe bring the graphics upto at least Skyrim Special Edition standards, now that would be class, same with a PS5 patch for no mans sky another game that is incredible in Vr but looks like shit

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If I'm not mistaken it seems like the entirety of the article is based on snippets of talking head interviews from the latest Bedrooms to Billions doc. So when people say that interview happened an unknown time ago, it really could be a long time ago considering one of the other main interviewees for that period is Shahid Ahmad, and Shahid left Sony in 2016!

Rolla

Banned
They've taken a sentence from the "Bedroom to Billions" and made it into a negative story. Or am I missing something?

Azurro

Banned
That's a perfectly reasonable response, VR is a niche of a niche, but it can provide new experiences.

Romulus

Vr had had years to evolve but it’s always going to end up a casual experience and not something sustained

Just casual? VR is absolutely incredible for hardcore flight and racing sims. The military even uses them now for their fighter pilots. Racecar drivers also. Anyone who uses them for racers almost always cuts seconds off their lap times, but non VR users will never understand why that happens. Its extremely varied in what it can do, and what it can do well.

It's just funny to see negative comments about VR that end up inadvertently positive. You got people on one side trying to express a negative opinion about VR by saying it's on good at simulations, then other negatives saying it's good at casual games. I mean, that's a pretty vast spectrum especially when you consider horror and FPS.

Last edited:
Just casual? VR is absolutely incredible for hardcore flight and racing sims. The military even uses them now for their fighter pilots. Racecar drivers also. Anyone who uses them for racers almost always cuts seconds off their lap times, but non VR users will never understand why that happens. Its extremely varied I what it can do, and what it can do well.

It's just funny to see negative comments about VR that end up inadvertently positive. You got people on one side trying to express a negative opinion about VR by saying it's on good at simulations, then other negatives saying it's good at casual games. I mean, that's a pretty vast spectrum especially when you consider horror and FPS.
I have a HTC Vive cosmos elite and a fantec wheel and a decent graphic card and i honestly cant stand any longer than 30 mins at a time in vr....many others i race with say the same thing
it took me about 4 months to complete Half Life Alyx

Im defiantly not the only one in that boat
Pokerstars is the bomb though

Romulus

I have a HTC Vive cosmos elite and a fantec wheel and a decent graphic card and i honestly cant stand any longer than 30 mins at a time in vr....many others i race with say the same thing
it took me about 4 months to complete Half Life Alyx

Im defiantly not the only one in that boat
Pokerstars is the bomb though

I have zero issue with motion sickness and the people I've let demo my Rift S rarely get it. But it is a thing

But your post proves how awesome it is. It literally says it all. You powered through months in VR with motion sickness, you even bought a racing wheel, just to play games when you could have easily played non VR games. That's more of an argument for VR than I could have ever made.

Kerotan

Well I have some good news, here's a brand new patent from Sony.

fuhmr344x5p51.jpg

Notice any simularties with any advancments? I just can't put my finger tracking? on it.

It looks like inside out tracking being used on this patent, I hope they go with that, as much as I love lighthouse tracking I think inside out tracking is definitely the way forward and much better than the PSVR camera tracking. It just gives you so much more options on where you can setup your headset.
Hopefully. The fact they didn't rush one out for the ps5 launch is a big bonus I think. They probably want at least 20M PS5's on the market before they do but the bonus is the fact they can incorporate better tech like the patents we've been seeing. I think everyone would prefer to wait until 2021/22 if it means a bigger upgrade.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Had the opportunity to play PSVR and so it’s at least in the mix and SONY knows what they’re doing with it

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm a fan of VR but have to admit that adoption has been pretty slow.
I thought PSVR sold well but it's obviously not enough for Sony to focus on, especially in a year when they are releasing a new console.

The fact that MS haven't partnered up with a third party manufacturer so that XSX can use a VR headset is a little disappointing but then I also understand why MS need to just focus on their console for now.

I don't think VR is dead but it's gonna take a lot longer to become mainstream.

Romulus

I'm a fan of VR but have to admit that adoption has been pretty slow.
I thought PSVR sold well but it's obviously not enough for Sony to focus on, especially in a year when they are releasing a new console.

The fact that MS haven't partnered up with a third party manufacturer so that XSX can use a VR headset is a little disappointing but then I also understand why MS need to just focus on their console for now.

I don't think VR is dead but it's gonna take a lot longer to become mainstream.

I was never someone who thought VR was going to take over, and still don't. But, it's crazy that for the better part of a year you can't find an Oculus Quest. And Quest 2, which promised to meet demand head on, is already back ordered 6 weeks.

JimiNutz

Banned
I was never someone who thought VR was going to take over, and still don't. But, it's crazy that for the better part of a year you can't find an Oculus Quest. And Quest 2, which promised to meet demand head on, is already back ordered 6 weeks.

Yeah there is definitely some demand for the technology. I think it's probably a good sign that there is slow and steady interest rather then a huge initial adoption that then dies off quickly (like motion controlls/Kinect).

Wireless headsets that are more comfortable to wear for long periods of time are gonna come and I think the platforms will continue to grow.

Romulus

Yeah there is definitely some demand for the technology. I think it's probably a good sign that there is slow and steady interest rather then a huge initial adoption that then dies off quickly (like motion controlls/Kinect).

Wireless headsets that are more comfortable to wear for long periods of time are gonna come and I think the platforms will continue to grow.

Yeah I think it'll hang around and slowly grow. The problem with it dying is the ravenous VR fans that buy up software is growing every year.

Elysion

Banned
I don‘t know if Sony plans to make VR a true mass market product, but if they do, then the way they‘ve been handling it so far hasn‘t been particularly conducive to this goal.

They‘ve been making things way more complicated than they need to be. I‘m especially disappointed that the PS5 controller is just another regular controller; I think it should instead have been a controller that can be broken up, so it can be used as a dual motion controller like the Switch joycons (Sony even has patents about such a dual-purpose controller, so we know they‘ve been thinking about this).

That way, every PS5 owner would already have a VR-ready controller from day one, and would only need to buy a VR headset to get started (or use the PS4 headset). The userbase would be unified as far as control schemes go, which makes it easier for developers to make VR games. But as things are now, PS5 owners would have to buy not only a headset, but also a new set of VR controllers. Sony could sell their next gen headset and VR controllers in a bundle of course, but that would make it much more expensive. But if they‘re selling them separately, then not all PS5 owners will have the new VR controllers, which means developers will have to make their VR games compatible with both normal and VR controllers.

I also suspect that Sony (as well as other companies making VR hardware) feel that it‘s necessary to have super complex VR controllers that are capable of finger tracking and all kinds of fancy stuff. But I believe that‘s a mistake; normal motion controllers with good tracking and nice haptic feedback should be more than enough for now. Finger tracking strikes me as kind of a dead end, at least until we reach a point where proper VR gloves are possible. Finger tracking sounds nice on paper, but without some kind of physical resistance you‘re just grabbing empty air anyway.

But more than that, if all PS5 controllers could be used as motion controllers, then it would be possible for VR players and non-VR players to play certain games online together, since they would still use the same control scheme (I‘m mainly talking about shooters here, where motion/pointer controls are superior both with and without VR). This would make VR part of the broader gaming market, instead of letting it occupy its current niche, which is more or less separate from the rest.

Instead of treating VR as some exotic oddity, Sony should treat it as they did the original dualshock controller on PS1: Make it optional, but also something that‘s supported by most of the games that come out. There would still be VR exclusive games of course, but I see no reason why ‚normal‘ games shouldn‘t have an optional VR mode. Is it really that hard to have a VR mode in your typical Assassin‘s Creed game, for example, where the player looks the main character over the shoulder?

Top Bottom