• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR eclipse Ubisoft to become Europes most valuable game company

cormack12

Gold Member
At the time of this writing, Ubisoft is worth PLN 35,6 billion (€7,82 billion), while CDP's market value is estimated at PLN 36,5 billion (€8,01 billion). Although it's a huge achievement, it's important to remember that CDP posted PLN 521 million in revenues and PLN 175 million in net profit in 2019, while Ubisoft generated €416.2 million (PLN 1,89 billion) in revenue in the third quarter of the fiscal year 2019 alone.

Raphael

I wish them all the best but its a huge bubble that will burst 1st q after cyberpunk release. People got too excited.

Last edited:

GHG

Even if you don't like their games this should be celebrated because they are an example of a company who does things in the right way.

Their success is deserved and long may it continue.

Riven326

Banned
Even if you don't like their games this should be celebrated because they are an example of a company who does things in the right way.

Their success is deserved and long may it continue.
Cyberpunk looks promising. If I don't like that game, I'm giving the order to invade Poland.

Armorian

Banned
Cyberpunk looks promising. If I don't like that game, I'm giving the order to invade Poland.

750681.jpg

Arachnid

Well deserved! Them and FROM are the best and most consistent devs out there.

It was just a generic fantasy game. And Geralt was just a sad imitation of Christian Bale's Batman.
Christian Bale's Batman had no personality to imitate. Her also had nothing in common with Geralt outside of a gravelly voice (which worked on Geralt, but sounded incredibly stupid from Batman).

BTW it's alright to not like a game. Nothing to crucify. Hopefully Cyberpunk appeals more to you.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wonder how is this even possible? Because they operate just in Europe, or how? Ubisoft is massive with ton of franchises....

Riven326

Banned
Old Bioware or old, old Bioware? If you are meaning BG days, you betcha; if you mean Jade Empire and everything after, eeeeehhh....
I mean everything after. I wasn't around for BG. I mean, I was, but I was just a kid. Never had the pleasure of playing BG. I've heard many great things. I got started with KOTOR.

GHG

I wonder how is this even possible? Because they operate just in Europe, or how? Ubisoft is massive with ton of franchises....

Valuations are not always linear with revenue and profits.

I'd guess this will largely be down to the success of the Netflix Witcher TV show and the continued expansion of the franchise into popular culture. They own the IP and because of the recent success outside of videogames the future potential of that single IP outstrips the potential of everything Ubisoft owns.

Also its worth noting that despite Ubisoft being a huge company with strong revenue numbers their profit margins haven't been spectacular in recent times:

CDPR is a very well run business and all of their recent bets have paid off.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Good.

Ubisoft is a fucking mess of a company.
1. Their products are confusing. How many fucking editions of a game do we need, we need a fucking chart to comprehend their logic.
2. Their additional game content is all over the fucking place. You have to get the content from the Uplay store and then the PS/MS store, and the many fucking different avenues. Confusing as fuck for the everyday consumer. I just want one damn version and one way to get content.

Their logo looks like the top view of a piece of shit anyways.

Verchod

It was just a generic fantasy game. And Geralt was just a sad imitation of Christian Bale's Batman.
.. But when compared to pretty much anything UBISOFT makes these days, it's fucking original

UBISOFT have managed to make their own titles generic and derivative versions of each other;

Far cry - open world action set in wilderness.
Assassin's creed - open world action games, with historic twist
Watch dogs - open world action game in urban environment
Ghost recon - open world action game with military twist.

Riven326

Banned
.. But when compared to pretty much anything UBISOFT makes these days, it's fucking original

UBISOFT have managed to make their own titles generic and derivative versions of each other;

Far cry - open world action set in wilderness.
Assassin's creed - open world action games, with historic twist
Watch dogs - open world action game in urban environment
Ghost recon - open world action game with military twist.
It's not really original. It's based of the Witcher books. But yeah, next to Ubisoft's games just about anything looks more original. That being said, I enjoyed the hell out of Odysee and thought both Witcher 2 & 3 were snoozers.

Miles708

I don't even disagree with you here.

What I'm saying is that the production values have gone up MASSIVELY for every new chapter they made, they managed to go full-AAA in just 3 games, and that's pretty unprecedented for a new independent studio, I think.
Maybe only Quantic Dream pulled off a similar feat.

Valuations are not always linear with revenue and profits.

I'd guess this will largely be down to the success of the Netflix Witcher TV show and the continued expansion of the franchise into popular culture. They own the IP and because of the recent success outside of videogames the future potential of that single IP outstrips the potential of everything Ubisoft owns.

Also its worth noting that despite Ubisoft being a huge company with strong revenue numbers their profit margins haven't been spectacular in recent times:

CDPR is a very well run business and all of their recent bets have paid off.

They don't own the IP.
Its the authors IP - Andrzej Sapkowski

However they obviously did profit from the Witcher Netflix series because it got more people into contact with that franchise.

Dontero

Banned
Well CB2077 will be the second best selling AAA game after GTA5 so no wonder it is valued like that.
Hype for CB2077 is reaching GTA4 level.

Witcher 3 yearly still sells milions of units after all those years.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
I don't even disagree with you here.

What I'm saying is that the production values have gone up MASSIVELY for every new chapter they made, they managed to go full-AAA in just 3 games, and that's pretty unprecedented for a new independent studio, I think.
Maybe only Quantic Dream pulled off a similar feat.
Oh, for sure. I think very highly of CDPR. I'm looking forward to Cyberpunk. I only lament not being able to enjoy Witcher as much as everyone else seems to.

mortal

Gold Member
Quality > Quantity

Also, don't fuck over your customers. It's pretty straight forward, I don't understand why so many game companies struggle to get this.

GymWolf

When multiple games every year with thousands of devs and big budgets are not enough to beat a polish company that make 2 games for gen :ROFLMAO:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I didn't like the Witcher games. Go ahead. Crucify me.

Your crazy taste in videogames is your fault... not ours. ;)

Quality is winning.

How is that even possible?

You just have to develop good games and dont rely on "Fast Food Open World Game Design" (its already used to death in Farcry, in Assasins Creed and even in Breath of the Wild)

Last edited:

Faenrir

I played 2 and 3. I just don't like their style. I'm more of an old school BioWare guy. I think they did fantasy Rpgs better.
Dude, you said generic, there's nothing generic, it's a vibrant and realistic dark fantasy world. If you like heroic fantasy over dark fantasy yeah you might not enjoy it but to call it generic, you must not have played it much. The lore and encounters in the game are incredible and the sidequests are the best i've seen in a rpg in 10 maybe 15 years. It's an action rPG i can understand liking turn based / BG gameplay more but that doesn't mean Tw3 is generic either.

Top Bottom