• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: Cyberpunk 2077 has now sold 20 million copies.

And a nice story with nice characters. And fun as heck gameplay. People aren't spending +200 hours in this game looking at pretty buildings.
Since when is that an argument? It's pretty evident how lacking the game is and how much it falls short from all the promises.

So many of the game system are so shallow and unbelievably bad people mistook them for bugs when it was just the way the game was designed.

This game makes trash like Skyrim look polished in comparison.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Since when is that an argument? It's pretty evident how lacking the game is and how much it falls short from all the promises. So many of the game system are so shallow and unbelievably bad people mistook them for bugs when it was just the way the game was designed.
Sure, "shallow" and "unbelievably bad". Give me games that let me do shit like this, all in the same game:

No, seriously, show me. I'd love to play more games like this. Closest stuff i know is Deus Ex and EYE DC, and like CP77 both have their own stack of needles so its not like they're better.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I'm happy people enjoy it. I'm going to give it a go eventually. That being said CDPR really fucked themselves with this and I won't forget their lies when their next game comes out.

Sure, "shallow" and "unbelievably bad". Give me games that let me do shit like this, all in the same game:

No, seriously, show me. I'd love to play more games like this. Closest stuff i know is Deus Ex and EYE DC, and like CP77 both have their own stack of needles so its not like they're better.

Dumbest shit I've ever seen, look at those NPCs, is it suppose to be impressive?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So...it sold like 13M in its first 10 days...and 7M during its next 2 years with huge discounts to the point you can buy it for 10 bucks?

i-have-no-5bbe0f.jpg

I have to imagine the amount of refunds/returns were in the million(s) as well.

Roni

Gold Member
Why would you need to play the game more than once? You can get all endings in the same play through. Ultimately, the choices you make don't really matter.
First of all, you only unlock all possible endings in a single playthrough if you have the completionist mindset - at which point roleplaying is out the window, if you look up a guide or if you fall into the 5% of players that will naturally do it.

Secondly, the choices you make definitely matter: choosing not to help someone locks you out of possible outcomes, but not only that, the endings change the outcome of the world around you completely,

Finally, way to miss the mark: the original post I was answering to was about gameplay. Not story... The core of my message was towards the fact the game's not just a shooter. It can be played as a stealth operative, a hacker, a brawler, melee fighter or as a shooter.

Last edited:
"OMG game system bad"
>Look at these multiple fun and varied playstyles
"buh buh something npcs....! HAH, GOTTEM"

I think this case is closed :messenger_ok:
I don't like the game, you show me the same game and now you want me to praise it?

Again, looks like some Skyrim like trash, how is breaking the game like that going around killing a clueless NPCs suppose to prove anything? First person melee combat? Disgusting.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Very good numbers but the game could have easily sold the double of that in the same time span (so 40 millions) had the launch not be botched.

I think however this baby still has some legs for 5-10 millions more. Because there is not really any equivalent on next gen still, and it should be one go-to game when someone acquires the console.

Roni

Gold Member
I don't like the game, you show me the game and now you want me to praise it? Looks like trash, how is breaking the game like that going around killing a clueless NPCs suppose to prove? First person melee combat? Disgusting.
Not liking something is easy, hate is cheap in this world of ours. Have you got criticism though? That's got to be backed by logic. If you said you didn't like the game because if doesn't give you options, then his answer is completely valid.

Guilty_AI

I don't like the game, you show me the game and now you want me to praise it? Looks like trash, how is breaking the game like that going around killing a clueless NPCs suppose to prove?
You're free to not like it. But you didn't say "i don't like it", you said the systems are "shallow" and "unbelievably bad" which i proceeded to demonstrate as clearly false claims.

Besides, when you say stuff like "killing a clueless NPCs" when these are very clearly main missions and sidequests you find in the world (some scenes even have dialogue), it really makes me think you didn't actually play the game, or maybe just rushed through the campaign on a easier difficulty.

Last edited:

njean777

I tried playing ti again last weekend and restarted after all the updates, was only like 4 hours in so just said screw it. The only thing that bothers me and why I decided to put it down and maybe get back to it, is that I feel like I should know things about the universe that I don't know yet. They throw words around about groups that I have no clue who or what they are, and why they matter. Just feels like I should have read a primer before even starting the game.

Sensates

My dissatisfaction with it is not on the technical side, to me the core characters and stories are embarrassingly cringey and forgettable. Doesn't scream futuristic or "cyberpunk" to me, just another go here, kill this and that kind of game, we have plenty of those already. Its no comparison to Deus Ex.

Skifi28

I tried playing ti again last weekend and restarted after all the updates, was only like 4 hours in so just said screw it. The only thing that bothers me and why I decided to put it down and maybe get back to it, is that I feel like I should know things about the universe that I don't know yet. They throw words around about groups that I have no clue who or what they are, and why they matter. Just feels like I should have read a primer before even starting the game.

Yeah, right at the start the game bombards you with words and descriptions you know nothing about and people keep calling you, leaving messages and it's just an onslaught of information and pop-ups you don't know what to do with. They've done a terrible job of easing somebody in.

The anime is a great way of getting to know the universe before jumping in, though probably not intended as such.

Last edited:

ungalo

Since when is that an argument? It's pretty evident how lacking the game is and how much it falls short from all the promises.

So many of the game system are so shallow and unbelievably bad people mistook them for bugs when it was just the way the game was designed.

This game makes trash like Skyrim look polished in comparison.
whether it's Cyberpunk or Skyrim they're galaxies apart from The Order, in pretty much everything, i assure you...

nemiroff

Gold Member
Game dev.
Now that's a funny stretch (in the context of the topic). He calls himself a developer, but AFAIK he hasn't at any time actually worked as a professional game developer for any company. It seems to me he's been unsuccessfully looking for a game developer job for, what, the past 7 years..? Point is, he's a nobody, and in the end there's no more weight to his arguments about Cyberpunk 2077 than the rest of us.

Last edited:
Still waiting. Hoping for an official 3rd person mode. If it never happens, I'll still benefit by playing it when it's even better.
no chance of that happening. i'd love for it to happen but it'd be a lot of work. they'd need lots of new animations, make changes to the map, and change interactions with characters. best we can hope for is that someone does a Redmod or that they design the sequel with 3rd person.

I guess the bump in Steam activity following the release of that Netflix show also coincided with a decent amount of new purchases.
anime and a sale will definitely have brought in more players

Last edited:
Not liking something is easy, hate is cheap in this world of ours. Have you got criticism though? That's got to be backed by logic. If you said you didn't like the game because if doesn't give you options, then his answer is completely valid.
I'll do that right after you write me a 3 pages essay on why you dislike to eat paint.

It's trash and it couldn't be more obvious. If it was any good why would they have resorted to years of false marketing?

Last edited:

Pelta88

The amount of lies CDPR told about this game is something I can't get over. I'm happy people are enjoying the game in its current state but it's something I'll never play.

Guilty_AI

The amount of lies CDPR told about this game is something I can't get over. I'm happy people are enjoying the game in its current state but it's something I'll never play.
I haven't followed the hype and always see this lies thing being throw around. But whenever i try to look into what they lied so much about all i get are either nitpicks about minor mechanical changes or very personal interpretations on vague statements like "the city is alive!".

Serious question. What did they really lie about? Afaik they promised a witcher 3-like game and thats what they delivered pretty much.

Roni

Gold Member
I'll do that right after you write me a 3 pages essay on why you dislike to eat paint.

It's trash and it couldn't be more obvious. If it was any good why would they have resorted to years of false marketing?
are you aware of how marketing works? you sure don't seem to be. marketing is legalized lying. you're either young or hasn't been paying attention your whole life.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
We’re talking about a game with a respected developer forums have to stop pretending games today launch perfectly 10/10 bc we know that’s false until updates come.

"OMG game system bad"
>Look at these multiple fun and varied playstyles
"buh buh something npcs....! HAH, GOTTEM"

I think this case is closed :messenger_ok:
Varied sure, but not everyone likes dishing on braindead AI enemies. Having decent AI that responds to player action/prompts player reaction is part of engaging gameplay.
no chance of that happening. i'd love for it to happen but it'd be a lot of work. they'd need lots of new animations, make changes to the map, and change interactions with characters. best we can hope for is that someone does a Redmod or that they design the sequel with 3rd person.
Agree with most of what you said, but they can have it like the old Fallouts, just go back into 1st person during conversations. Combat will need a lot of work though yeah. Still... what could be...

Emotive words like 'lies' when talking about featuresets in videogames - the most luxury of luxury items that have no real importance to anything that truly matters... I really don't get it.

ClosBSAS

Hopefully expansion will add some missing shit like wall running now that it's all next gen and no shitty ass jaguar cpu consoles are in sight

1st person > 3rd person
Not for me. Maybe if you grew up with PC gaming. Gaming interfaces have never been good enough for me to feel like I'm in the game with my own body. The 2d screen. The distance I sit from it. The clunky KB/mouse/controller that in no way approximates natural human movement. Can't suspend my disbelief. It's much easier to believe I'm puppeteering a character inside a world than pretend I'm in it myself. That's why CDPR's whole "more immersive" spiel was bunk. It's so subjective.

Now VR, that I can get behind as genuine immersion, but the hardware and games just aren't there yet for me.

GymWolf

Hopefully expansion will add some missing shit like wall running now that it's all next gen and no shitty ass jaguar cpu consoles are in sight
Yeah, the dlc need to have some glorious leg cyberware other than charged jump and double jump, wall running would be neat.

P.s. that third person gif looks wrong for some reason, i think i prefer first person on this game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Not for me. Maybe if you grew up with PC gaming. Gaming interfaces have never been good enough for me to feel like I'm in the game with my own body. The 2d screen. The distance I sit from it. The clunky KB/mouse/controller that in no way approximates natural human movement. Can't suspend my disbelief. It's much easier to believe I'm puppeteering a character inside a world than pretend I'm in it myself. That's why CDPR's whole "more immersive" spiel was bunk. It's so subjective.

Now VR, that I can get behind as genuine immersion, but the hardware and games just aren't there yet for me.

lol, okay.

Emotive words like 'lies' when talking about featuresets in videogames - the most luxury of luxury items that have no real importance to anything that truly matters... I really don't get it.
If you don't get what is wrong with lying about a product to dupe people into buying it then massively underdelivering... you really don't get it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Varied sure, but not everyone likes dishing on braindead AI enemies. Having decent AI that responds to player action/prompts player reaction is part of engaging gameplay.
They have pre specified spots and routes, they'll detect you if they hear you, get spotted by a camera or if they see you - on a side note, its interesting they decided to not make enemies blind like stealth games usually do, prob cause there are more ways to elude them - when they enter combat they'll spread out and shoot at you, get behind cover, try to flank you, throw grenades if you're behind cover or shoot at you with smart weapons, melee based enemies will try to get close to you, snipers will well snipe, and netrunners will hide and try to hack you by getting a line of sight, often through cameras. As a cool touch, when most of the enemies have been defeated, the remaining ones get extra careful, getting distance from you when you get close and staying behind cover more often.

Seems like a fairly standard AI for the game at hand.

Last edited:
1st person > 3rd person
Absolutely. If there is an option for 1st person, I generally tend to prefer it. Even in games like GTA5 or RDR2, I feel it's just more immersive walking around in 1st person (Granted, the shooty bits work better in 3rd person however).

On CP2077 especially, I feel a third person viewpoint won't convey the sheer scale and verticality of night city. I remember the first time I walked near the big yellow power generation (?) building and looking up. Even in a 2d screen the scale of the thing was immense.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Absolutely. If there is an option for 1st person, I generally tend to prefer it. Even in games like GTA5 or RDR2, I feel it's just more immersive walking around in 1st person (Granted, the shooty bits work better in 3rd person however).

On CP2077 especially, I feel a third person viewpoint won't convey the sheer scale and verticality of night city. I remember the first time I walked near the big yellow power generation (?) building and looking up. Even in a 2d screen the scale of the thing was immense.
Honestly I think anything is better than “behind the ass” camera.

I'm happy people enjoy it. I'm going to give it a go eventually. That being said CDPR really fucked themselves with this and I won't forget their lies when their next game comes out.
The trick to solve all of this, at least on our end, is stop pre-ordering games and buying into hype. It's so easy to wait a few days and check reviews. People are so worried about missing out.

Top Bottom