• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR confirm that XSX footage of CP2077 was a BC version, seemingly no kind of patch at all for Next-Gen consoles at launch

Piggoro

Old news.
My plan was to buy the game on release (if the reviews are good) to give CDPR sales and money and actually play it next year on PS5 when the update comes up.

Last edited:
CD Projekt Red's previously said back in June there will be a day one update for the new consoles. But there will be a more robust update coming in 2021.

Cyberpunk 2077's PS4 version will be playable on PlayStation 5 as soon as the game launches, developer CD Projekt Red has said.

Anyone with a PS4 copy will be able to play that on PS5 and receive a free update to improve the game's visuals on Sony's next-gen machine.

The news, confirmed last night in an investor call, follows CD Projekt Red's announcement in February it would support Microsoft's Smart Delivery initiative for Xbox - meaning the free upgrade will work the same there for Xbox One copies on Xbox Series X.

The developer further clarified that this would not be the final update to buff the next-gen version of Cyberpunk 2077. A beefier version of the game optimised for Microsoft and Sony's new machines will follow down the line - perhaps some time down the line - but again be available to PS4 and Xbox One owners free of charge.

"I can confirm this is not the final update," CD Projekt exec Michał Nowakowski said. "At some point we will have a more robust update for next-gen which we plan to give free of charge to anyone who purchases the PS4 or Xbox One version.

"But in any case you will be able to play the game on next-gen from 19th November when the game releases and it will look better than on current-gen from that moment as well."

Cyberpunk 2077's PS4 version will be playable on PlayStation 5 as soon as the game launches, developer CD Projekt Red has said.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
One of the old strengths of console was that you only needed to code for one platform. Or maybe 2-3 depending on the market.

Now, look at this shit: Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5. Eight fucking platforms! And the PC as well. Obviously, just from a management point of view, it makes sense to push back the XSX and PS5 versions if you have to because both of those have solid BC.

I mean, say what you will about Ubishit, they're shipping 3 major games this holiday season that support all of those natively, but I cannot imagine the logistics of getting all that out the door. Same with BLOPS.

How many employees does CD Projekt RED have?

1,111 -2019

How many employees does Ubisoft have?

18,045 -2020

CD Projekt Red's previously said back in June there will be a day one update for the new consoles. But there will be a more robust update coming in 2021.

That means BC Boost Mode (mode 2) to use the full clocks, but still it's not a native PS5 game

If I recall correctly if you release a PS4 game after PS5 launch it's mandatory to support "boost mode" BC anyway...

That means BC Boost Mode (mode 2) to use the full clocks, but still it's not a native PS5 game

If I recall correctly if you release a PS4 game after PS5 launch it's mandatory to support "boost mode" BC anyway...
Yeah...sort of misleading though. It reads like their doing the update themselves when it's done at the system level.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sucks for next generation console owners. You’ve waited this long, though. No biggie waiting a few more weeks.

Sup to my other RTX 30xx owners!! Can’t wait to experience this journey together on day one.

saintjules

Honestly I'm gonna wait to grab this. I want to play this when they patched the game for next gen, plus I'm sure they will fix a ton of bugs by then too. I don't see the point wasting many hours playing this on a PS5 or Series X knowing that a free graphics upgrade will come next year. Just have some patience.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
If you wait a couple months this game will be more enjoyable, but people need immediate gratification and cannot wait for a more complete version of the game.

Ryu Kaiba

Been saying this would be the case for a while.

No idea why people thought otherwise.
yet you're planning on waiting for a next gen console which will not run as good as PC. makes sense.

if you "need to experience night city the right way" then the only way to do that is play on PC.

i'm getting it on PC. can't wait to play at 60-120fps with far better raytracing and higher density/unique NPCs + cars around the city. will sure make it feel more alive and believable.

people don't like to read or can't.

Most peoples criteria for what info is true, is whatever sounds best to them.

Superkewl

I'm gonna wait till discount and optimized versions with dlcs/ or goty editions

That was my plan originally, but I caved and pre-ordered.

I normally dont replay games I have finished, with the exception of Bethesda games and I think this will be like those games. I tend to play those types of games a tons of times, trying out different builds and such. I will play through once at launch, just to scratch that itch, then hold off on future playthroughs until the goty/ultimate edition you mentioned comes out

Ryu Kaiba

I swear they originally said there will be a enhancment patch day one but a full blow next gen patch the following year.

I'll pass until next gen drops with all the patches baked in the disc
I remember this as well. Kinda like a half step upgrade. Maybe I misunderstood, or maybe they gave up on that?
I think you guys misunderstood.
this is the thread that had me realize it was going to be the crappy last gen version until they patched and solidified that I'd be getting this on PC

IDappa

I think you guys misunderstood.
this is the thread that had me realize it was going to be the crappy last gen version until they patched and solidified that I'd be getting this on PC
I don't think so, I'm with these guys and I'm 100 percent sure they said there would be enhancements for next gen initially and then they would also release a next gen patch..

Thus may be a patch to unlock frame rate on the Xbox? Idk.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
4o0vdw.jpg

DonJorginho

Banned
Hold the F UP.... some people actually thought the fully next gen patched game will be available at RELEASE!?!

vARpLCf.gif
No-one thought that, no-one is even saying that here, people are talking about the fact CDPR said a small patch will be available day one for next gen consoles to look and play better and now it seems like that won't be the case.

Let us laugh back at you now, only fair.

No-one thought that, no-one is even saying that here, people are talking about the fact CDPR said a small patch will be available day one for next gen consoles to look and play better and now it seems like that won't be the case.

Of course there is a patch so the next gen could run c2077. I bet this was a stipulation from MS and Sony. But anything beyond that is just illusional for a day one patch.

Freeman76

I thought they said this wasnt going to be the case, and that it would just have the usual improvements that any last gen game will have on the new hardware. Are you sure you havent misread something?

It clearly says improved graphically in the article and they planned a day one update to do this.
I don't know if they had a change of plans.
If they do follow plans, PS5 and XSX owners will get an improved version of the game but it's incomplete, with the fuller next gen version coming out next year.

Last edited:

How are you coming to this conclusion? They haven’t said anything to contradict their original statement about there being a day one patch for initial next gen enhancements.

Last edited:
I think there needs to be a Cyberpatience 2021 - Waiting for True Next Gen thread when this releases for all the people intent on waiting. I have a 3080 on order that won’t arrive until next year, I’ve waited this long, I can wait until the next gen patch drops so all the other people waiting can get in on the action together. Going to be tough holding out though for sure. Though I do think this will be coming in hot and likely have quite a lot of bugs at launch that will get ironed out by the time the next gen patch drops.

RyRy93

I'm sure it'll be great but it could have been absolutely mind-blowing if it wasn't tethered to the last gen consoles.

I just hope there's an eventual 60fps option because it makes such a big difference in a first person game.

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll be great but it could have been absolutely mind-blowing if it wasn't tethered to the last gen consoles.

This is one of the problems with ignoring reality.

Cyberpunk 2077 will only be as good as it's promising to be because the TW3 opted for the same strategy you're now criticizing, i.e., catering to the lower denominator. Because TW3 was so successful, due not the least to console editions, CDPR could afford to expand, hiring more people and spending more time polishing the game.

TW4 will be in a potion to be a better game because Cyberpunk 2077 went with past-gen consoles as well.

RyRy93

This is one of the problems with ignoring reality.

Cyberpunk 2077 will only be as good as it's promising to be because the TW3 opted for the same strategy you're now criticizing, i.e., catering to the lower denominator. Because TW3 was so successful, due not the least to console editions, CDPR could afford to expand, hiring more people and spending more time polishing the game.

TW4 will be in a potion to be a better game because Cyberpunk 2077 went with past-gen consoles as well.
I'm aware of that, just saying how much more impressive the game would likely be had development started and ended a couple of years later than intended.

Last edited:
Top Bottom