• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDP estimates show that Cyberpunk already cover it's development and marketing costs

Source is in Polish so here you have google translated version

https://translate.google.com/transl...-produkcja-i-promocja-CD-Projekt-8018659.html

CD Projekt estimates that the value of royalties for the pre-premiere sale of Cyberpunk 2077 in all digital channels exceeded the total sum of the total expenditure on producing the game and the costs of its marketing and promotion, both to date and planned until the end of 2020, the company announced in the message.

There's also upper range of cost

At the end of September, the expenditure on development work in the group's production segment (CD Projekt RED) was PLN 494.6 million. This item mainly includes the costs of work on "Cyberpunk 2077". (PAP Biznes)

So up to 110 millions of Euro , through I don't see any info if this is total since company started (so all 3 witchers included) or just cyberpunk+maintenance work on Witcher games.

Bogey

Banned
It wouldn't have achieved this so quickly if they actually paid and treated their employees fairly.

That is certainly true.

Then again, I can't come up with a whole lot of companies that don't mistreat their workers, or work with suppliers who do.

Doesn't really make it better, but I wouldn't Single it out as something CD Projekt specific, either.

I wonder if it will surpass GTA, but I doubt it - because it doesn't have multiplayer component that still sells GTA copies.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't blame them.

But seems like they are more worried to make investors happy than delivery a finished product.
That is sad for us consumers.

They really seems focused in that financial PR stuff right now... they probably were having a lot of pressure in that part due the delays.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Well with the number they gave of over 8 million copies sold at an average of 64 dollars(59 plus tax U.S. I'm basing this) that's
512,000,000. Five Hundred and Twelve Million dollars as a conservative estimate. I'd say that's pretty damn good and there's
no doubt it'll hit a billion dollars in sales IMO

I don't blame them.

But seems like they are more worried to make investors happy than delivery a finished product.

They really seems focused in that financial PR stuff right now... they probably were having a lot of pressure in that part due the delays.

Well there's a reason for that, market expected higher quality and it's reflected in stock price

afHaOR3.png

paypay88

Banned
Well with the number they gave of over 8 million copies sold at an average of 64 dollars(59 plus tax U.S. I'm basing this) that's
512,000,000. Five Hundred and Twelve Million dollars as a conservative estimate. I'd say that's pretty damn good and there's
no doubt it'll hit a billion dollars in sales IMO
Not to mention they are based in Poland where 1 usd is 6 poland currency's

ethomaz

Banned
Well there's a reason for that, market expected higher quality and it's reflected in stock price

afHaOR3.png
That is way bigger drop than I expected... close to 25% in the last few days :messenger_face_screaming:
425 to 325 can make some investors go crazy.

Last edited:
It wouldn't have achieved this so quickly if they actually paid and treated their employees fairly.

Yes, you are the new arbiter of what constitutes "fair" payment.

Not the developers themselves, who signed the contracts and accepted the salaries and decided to remain CD Projekt employees. No, you are. You know the figures, you know the profit margins, you're aware of contracts and financial obligations. You have it all figured out in your head. Naturally, you have a very precise figure in your head of what a "fair" salary is. And developers shouldn't trust their own judgement. If I were a CD Projekt Red developer I wouldn't trust my own judgement. I'd go by the pontifications of a random forum user. No, I would orient my professional life according to Certinty's illustrious opinions.

That is certainly true.

No, it isn't. The game has had management problems, that seems highly probable at this point. But theer's no good reason to think "poor" salaries was one of them.

Then again, I can't come up with a whole lot of companies that don't mistreat their workers, or work with suppliers who do.

Yes, I'm sure your definition of "mistreatment" is impartial and objective.

Oh, dear lord, the world as a whole is so oppressive. Oh, dear lord, most companies are such evil entities - and let me type all that using a keyboard, mouse, screen, PC, internet connection, power, and what not all provided by none other than those same evil oppressive corporations I have voluntarily decided to use the goods and services of but am here dissing nonetheless.

Doesn't really make it better, but I wouldn't Single it out as something CD Projekt specific, either.

Empty words. But, certainly, you are entitled to your opinion and have the right to express it freely.

afHaOR3.png

Yes, it's a significant drop.

But the stock market tends to be dynamic. Nothing is set in stone. I see no reason to believe they can't recover, at least at this point. If they offer, hypothetically speaking, a season pass for free or just an expansion to old-gen console gamers, I would assume they can bounce back.

They will be giving away a free TW3 update to PC and console users in 2021, 6, six whole years after the game launched. That's strong support, I'd say. I would think they would support Cyberpunk 2077 just as much if not even more.

zwiggelbig

I don't blame them.

yup, rushed it out for the holiday sales to keep investors happy. They woudl have made bank anyways on this game and on the multiplayer mode. I paid 60 dollars for the ps4 version and its just horrible

MagnesG

Banned
Yes, it's a significant drop.

But the stock market tends to be dynamic. Nothing is set in stone. I see no reason to believe they can't recover, at least at this point. If they offer, hypothetically speaking, a season pass for free or just an expansion to old-gen console gamers, I would assume they can bounce back.

They will be giving away a free TW3 update to PC and console users in 2021, 6, six whole years after the game launched. That's strong support, I'd say. I would think they would support Cyberpunk 2077 just as much if not even more.
Just be like Nintendo and stay consistent with the support.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is there any sotry of this unfair treatment, they are still Polish company you know, so the financial differencies are going to be there.

oagboghi2

That is certainly true.

No this is not true. This is the typical bullshit people drag out when a publisher they don't like is successful

I don't blame them.

You do realize that as a publicly traded company and as such they might be under certain legal obligations to disclose financial info, right? If I remember correctly, data is coming from their Investors channel, not from the general public one, but I could be wrong.

And let's not downplay the potential effects of their stock tumbling down. They absolutely have to retain investors. No prosperous public company can afford not to attract and retain investors.

I realize it's become trendy to trash big corporations and the stock market. Gamers simply wouldn't have the Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 were it not for big companies and the stock market.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You do realize that as a publicly traded company they might be under certain legal obligations to disclose financial info, right? If I remember correctly, data is coming from their Investors channel, not from the general public one, but I could be wrong.

And let's not downplay the potential effects of their stock tumbling down. They absolutely have to retain investors. No prosperous public company can afford not to attract and retain investors.

I realize it's become trendy to trash big corporations and the stock market. Gamers simply wouldn't have the Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 were it not for big companies and the stock market.
They even before the launch were fast to release the 8 million preorder.
They did not even waited for the confirmed day one sales.

gypsygib

Don't they get 10% of annual profits though, in Poland that's probably a huge sum. Having to work over time for a month isn't mistreatment. People on salary do it all the time for fiscal year end but don't get overtime or 10% of company profits.

oagboghi2

ethomaz

Banned
September. Valhalla was released in November

Should I repeat myself.

Not a news article about acquisition speculation causing a short term stock spike
Moving the goal post lol.

Here in GAF we talk about shares big chances... you say it never happened.

In few seconds I proved you wrong.

Just accept the L and move on.

Edit - I just checked the Ubisoft shares and there is no big changes in the last few months in fact the share value increased from below 70 to around 77 after October 2020 peaking sometimes at 80.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I don't blame them.

Which isn't too uncommon, unfortunately. Also, yeah I agree, most definitely. I'm sure they were seeing a ton of pressure from partners and investors across the board. I know the quality of the release should've been much, much, MUCH better. But the cost of the development, the length of the development, and all the negative press surrounding its development was all a bit much. So I think that just added to all the stress.

I'm just hoping that with its development and marketing covered and then some, they can fix bugs quickly, and give back to the consumers that got them there in the first place. I'm sure they will, just who knows how long it will take.

Last edited:

Raven117

afHaOR3.png
You cannot in any way look at a short term stock price to determine quality.

Look long term. If it stays that way, then you can come to the conclusion that you did.

Regardless, CDProjektRed did in fact crush it on sales. The game will have some legs as more refinements come out. In other words, it will be like the Witcher 3 most likely.

Last edited:
You cannot in any way look at a short term stock price to determine quality.

Look long term. If it stays that way, then you can come to the conclusion that you did.

Regardless, CDProjektRed did in fact crush it on sales. The game will have some legs as more refinements come out. In other words, it will be like the Witcher 3 most likely.

I'm pretty sure that the recent flood of good sales information from CDP is actually caused by that huge drop in stock price as they want to stop panic sale.

Makariel

I doubt that the market cares much about the quality as long as the game sells. Other issues affect the European stock market, like the likelihood of a no-deal Brexit, various countries lockdowns and vaccine woes. The stock market is down overall in Europe, you want to blame that on some bugs in a video game as well?

Rikkori

The real money will come with MP. The game is already Division-esque with its approach to loot/areas, so I guess they got that part figured out.

Hugare

I don't blame them.

Opening the company up to investors was a move that is bitting them in the ass so hard

Investors most definitely demanded the game to be released this year against CDPR will, releasing a product that is obviously not finished.

But I blame CDPR the most. By trying to plesse investors, they fucked their image with his customers. And now investors are still unpleased with the result.

Not showing footage on base consolres before release and not letting reviewers record gameplay was something that even the likes of EA or Ubi have never done. It was bad, really bad.

I was beyond hyped for it. Now, I dont know if I can continue the game on my PS4.

CDPR silence about it is really concerning

Last edited:
Top Bottom