• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt says it’s still waiting for Sony’s approval to bring Cyberpunk 2077 back to the PlayStation Store

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm sorry, what?

The game is broken. Sony don't want to start giving back money because CDPR fucked up and want to profit on a broken mess.

This is business. This ain't about fucking anyone over, it's about losing money. CDPR aren't about to cost Sony money.

They can get stuffed.
Sony doesnt give a fuck about making profits on broken games. Plenty of shovelware on the ps store

CDPR forced their hand. What would they think of the PR if Xbox gave refunds and Sony wouldnt?

🤣

Obviously the developer forced their hand whenever CDPR delivered "Taking a dump" sim on 8th gen consoles (You know, literally 48% of all sales for this particular title) and then was like "Oh, it doesn't run well? Maybe you should go and talk to PlayStation, their problem, not ours, thanks suckers" So, Sony removes their jank product. Why are you so salty about CyberDump getting removed from the PS store?

MMaRsu

Banned
No im.not salty at all. Idgaf bc I played it on pc. They didnt say what you just said, they said if you want a refund youll have to ask Sony. Whats wrong with that? They are the store where u bought it from.

Raekwon26

Sony doesnt give a fuck about making profits on broken games. Plenty of shovelware on the ps store
That's not the point.

It cost them money. The games portion is irrelevant right now, it's straight business.

You want to sell broken shit on their platform and then promise them that a day 1 patch would have fixed all the issues, (which it clearly fucking didn't) and then put out a statement offering refunds when the people returning the money are company you just fucked over?

They've gone mad.

MMaRsu

Banned
That's not the point.

It cost them money. The games portion is irrelevant right now, it's straight business.

You want to sell broken shit on their platform and then promise them that a day 1 patch would have fixed all the issues, (which it clearly fucking didn't) and then put out a statement offering refunds when the people returning the money are company you just fucked over?

They've gone mad.
How exactly did they fuck Sony over?

Sony did a cert for the game. It ended up on their store. Its on them to decide what makes it onto the store and what doesnt. Clearly Sony doesnt give a fuck selling broken games.

They only cared when people wanted to refund the game, and their systems arent in place for that. In fact, you are lucky to get one free 'refund' as part of your Sony loyalty.

Miles708

Sony did a cert for the game. It ended up on their store. Its on them to decide what makes it onto the store and what doesnt. Clearly Sony doesnt give a fuck selling broken games.

They only cared when people wanted to refund the game, and their systems arent in place for that. In fact, you are lucky to get one free 'refund' as part of your Sony loyalty.

Wasn't the original story that Sony greenlit the game only because CDPR assured them that the day-one patch would fix everything?

Raekwon26

How? By lying to them? By not consulting them on refunds. Did CDPR offer to give the money back to all the customers on bought it on the PS store? Or did they just say "Sony will give you one". No consultation whatsoever.

Are you even aware of what happened? Do you even realise that CDPR assured companies that the day 1 patch would fix the issues? It clearly didn't which is what caused this mess.

Of course they only cared when people wanted a refund, because the money was coming out their pocket instead of the people who sold a broken product in their store promising it would be fixed on day of purchase.

Again, this ain't about pro-consumer or anti-consumer shit. It's straight business.

ethomaz

Banned
Hold on, so I purchased Cyberpunk at launch. It was wack as e all know so I deleted it and never thought about it again, figuring I would download it again when things get patched up or maybe when the next gen versions release.

So if I want to play this game right now I can't download it? Even though I've purchased it?
You can download it whatever you want.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony removed it only because they hate giving refunds. It’s hilarious how they got away with it as a pro consumer move.
That is not the root cause.
No matter how bad Sony refund policy is the fact the game was broken and still is today is what caused the issue.

Anybody that tries to blame Sony over CDPR is just crazy imo.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Wasn't the original story that Sony greenlit the game only because CDPR assured them that the day-one patch would fix everything?
I would like to see a source for that, because that's generally not how these big companies operate.

How? By lying to them? By not consulting them on refunds. Did CDPR offer to give the money back to all the customers on bought it on the PS store? Or did they just say "Sony will give you one". No consultation whatsoever.

Are you even aware of what happened? Do you even realise that CDPR assured companies that the day 1 patch would fix the issues? It clearly didn't which is what caused this mess.

Of course they only cared when people wanted a refund, because the money was coming out their pocket instead of the people who sold a broken product in their store promising it would be fixed on day of purchase.

Again, this ain't about pro-consumer or anti-consumer shit. It's straight business.
By lying to whom?

Why would a developer need to consult, with the store owners selling the product, if they are eligable for refunds? Do you even know how stores operate?

Sony would have happily keep selling a broken product if there is no bad PR in it for them.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
That is not the root cause.
No matter how bad Sony refund policy is the fact the game was broken and still is today is what caused the issue.

Anybody that tries to blame Sony over CDPR is just crazy imo.

Yes the game was indeed broken. I wont deny that. That is 100% on CDPR. Should have delayed last gen versions.

What I find so hilarious, is people acting as if Sony had done them a favor by letting people get their refunds.
They only did that out of neccesity, so as to not garner negative PR.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes the game was indeed broken. I wont deny that. That is 100% on CDPR. Should have delayed last gen versions.

What I find so hilarious, is people acting as if Sony had done them a favor by letting people get their refunds.
They only did that out of neccesity, so as to not garner negative PR.
They did a indeed a favor for gamers even if they were just greedy for the money they were losing.
Any other developer will think twice before put a broken game PlayStation again.

Now people tries to spin the decision as bad is really something weird... it just help us gamers.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
I won’t call lazy at all but CDPR clearly believed they could get a free pass with broken games over us consumers.

Thanks God the backslashes happened.
Yeah with how much came out about crunching devs, “lazy devs” shouldn’t be the right phrase used.

MMaRsu

Banned
They did a indeed a favor for gamers even if they were just greedy for the money they were losing.
Any other developer will think twice before put a broken game PlayStation again.

Now people tries to spin the decision as bad is really something weird... it just help us gamers.

How is refunding a broken product doing consumers a 'favor'??

This should be fucking standard innit?

Roni

Gold Member
At this point, I can almost guarantee it's about CDPR paying Sony their cut of all refunds they were forced to give out...

Game still has issues, but not enough to keep it away from the store like this. This is strictly political, not technical.

Miles708

I would like to see a source for that, because that's generally not how these big companies operate.

i remember seeing the news jumping around on twitter, but I've never learned to use that damn website so i can't find it now.
I remember it but i could be wrong, granted.

Why would a developer need to consult, with the store owners selling the product, if they are eligable for refunds? Do you even know how stores operate?

Sony would have happily keep selling a broken product if there is no bad PR in it for them.

Refunds are part of the deal made with the store you're selling your game in. A dev can't decide the refund policy of an external store (unless they want to pay for them with their own money). So, I think consulting the store owner, before/during/after the refunding process is pretty much a given. Especially when you have to process something around 30.000 refunds (with arsTechnica speculating around 180k refunds).

Other than that, I'd like to remind that a platform owner delisting a game never happened before. It took the Cyberpunk debacle to make that happen.

ethomaz

Banned
How is refunding a broken product doing consumers a 'favor'??

This should be fucking standard innit?
How is it not?
The game is removed from PS Store that send a clear message to developers and publishers "if you send a broken game that consumers wants refunds you will not be allowed to sell your game here in PlayStation".

That is basically the best thing it could happen in the industry for us consumers.
The power is in consumers hands now... if we think it is unacceptable a release like that the game will be removed from PS Store.

We consumers should be happy that happened in the first place.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
The problem is, Sony should not be so hestistant to give out refunds for a clearly broken product. The only reason they started doing so, is because it would have caused a massive negative PR machine.

"Sony wont refund customers broken products" is a headline Sony would like to avoid at all costs.

"platform owner delisting a game never happened before"

I doubt this very much.

MMaRsu

Banned
How is it not?
The game is removed from PS Store that send a clear message to developers and publishers "if you send a broken game that consumers wants refunds you will not be allowed to sell your game here in PlayStation".

That is basically the best thing it could happen in the industry for us consumers.
The power is in consumers hands now... if we think it is unacceptable a release like that the game will be removed from PS Store.

We consumers should be happy that happened in the first place.

Consumers shouldnt be happy, this should be normal.

Raekwon26

By lying to whom?

Are you serious?

CDPR tell companies a day 1 patch will fix the game-breaking issues so the product will be ok to purchase.
The patch does not do that and you are asking me who they lied to?

Seriously?

Do YOU know how stores operate? Your a third party selling a product in my store and you think..........

This is unreal. Not bothering anymore.

kyussman

One things for sure.....Cyberpunk 2077 has been one hell of a ride hasn't it,lol.....from that very first teaser,through the years of building hype when we all started to wonder how the game was going to fit on PS4 and XBO,then the delays.....and finally the release and shit storm that has followed it.
I'll actually even play it one day,lol.

ethomaz

Banned
Consumers shouldnt be happy, this should be normal.
So should be normal to received broken games?
That is why the industry is that mess lol

When a consumers tried to defense the indefensible.

I'm very happy and glad the publishers/developers received the right call.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Are you serious?

CDPR tell companies a day 1 patch will fix the game-breaking issues so the product will be ok to purchase.
The patch does not do that and you are asking me who they lied to?

Seriously?

Do YOU know how stores operate? Your a third party selling a product in my store and you think..........

This is unreal. Not bothering anymore.
That is not how companies work. You obviously have no idea how any of this works.
Sony isnt putting the game on the store because CDPR told them a day one patch will fix all the issues :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I know how stores operate. A store buys your product at whole sale price. If the product is defective, it is on the store owner to retrieve their funds from the seller.

If you purchase a defective product from said store as a consumer, you have nothing to do with the original seller of the product. The only one you deal with is the store itself.

I dont think you know how stores work my dude. Im serious.

MMaRsu

Banned
If I have a video rental store, and I purchase a stack of DVD's from a third party seller.

At the end of the DVD's there are scratches and you cannot play the end of the film. I didnt know this when I bought the DVD's.

I put these DVD's into my store. A customer comes in and rents in, comes back the next day and says he wants to get his money back bc the product is defective.

It is on ME (the store owner) to make sure the customer is satisfied with the response.

It is on ME (the store owner) to take it up with the original seller, to get my own money back.

In any case, the customer would/should never have to deal with the fact that I was sold a broken product.

Miles708

If I have a video rental store, and I purchase a stack of DVD's from a third party seller.

At the end of the DVD's there are scratches and you cannot play the end of the film. I didnt know this when I bought the DVD's.

I put these DVD's into my store. A customer comes in and rents in, comes back the next day and says he wants to get his money back bc the product is defective.

It is on ME (the store owner) to make sure the customer is satisfied with the response.

It is on ME (the store owner) to take it up with the original seller, to get my own money back.

In any case, the customer would/should never have to deal with the fact that I was sold a broken product.
If i have a DVD store and all movies from a third-party distributor are all delivered scratched and faulty, resulting in a load of angry customers, I'll issue refunds and then ban that distributor from sending me his shit ever again.

In your case, cdpr (the distributor) said "don't worry, the dvd store will refund you anyway". Which is the correct thing for me (the store owner) to do, but also never show your face again.

Last edited:

Raekwon26

That is not how companies work. You obviously have no idea how any of this works.
Sony isnt putting the game on the store because CDPR told them a day one patch will fix all the issues :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I know how stores operate. A store buys your product at whole sale price. If the product is defective, it is on the store owner to retrieve their funds from the seller.

If you purchase a defective product from said store as a consumer, you have nothing to do with the original seller of the product. The only one you deal with is the store itself.

I dont think you know how stores work my dude. Im serious.

These are actual quotes people.

This......

No idea how business works at all.

Comparing buying DVDs to Sony allowing CDPR sell their product in their store and at the price of a percentage.

Unreal.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
If i have a DVD store and all movies from a third-party distributor are all delivered scratched and faulty, resulting in a load of angry customers, I'll issue refunds and then ban that distributor from sending me his shit ever again.

In your case, cdpr (the distributor) said "don't worry, the dvd store will refund you anyway". Which is the correct thing for me (the store owner) to do, but also never show your face again.

Right, and if it's a one time issue, then I wouldnt ban the third party distributor at all.

Seeing as how they published games on Xbox, PS4 and PC without faults in the past.

Like I said, the game wasnt ready, it should have been delayed and for consoles it was a shit product.

That does not mean that Sony should be held up as some fucking GODS for offering refunds to customers?????????????????

MMaRsu

Banned
These are actual quotes people.

This......

No idea how business works at all.

Comparing buying DVDs to Sony allowing CDPR sell their product in their store and at the price of a percentage.

Unreal.

I am just telling you how a retail store works. Not my problem if you cant see the forest for the fucking trees and pretend to be so stupid you cant even adhere to this 'what if' scenario.
Do you want to discuss it or just wanna throw shade? I worked in retail for years. Yes its not the same as a digital storefront, but its the same in the way that customers deal with the front end store, not the back end store.

MMaRsu

Banned
Mind you I have 0 issue with the game being taken off the Playstation Store. I dont care about that.

What I care about is some of y'all acting like Sony did you guys a favor. They didnt do anyone a favor, in fact they would have happily sold a shitty game to everyone (and they did, before the backlash).

The only reason they took it off the Playstation Store is to garner goodwill and good PR.

Instead of saying their usual "Oh I'm sorry you can't refund this because you played it."

hlm666

You think Cyberpunk 2077 is the "worst of the worst" games ever made? If it disappointed you, sure - that's your personal opinion, sorry you didn't enjoy it. If it didn't work on your setup? Sorry to hear it, I hope you took up that refund offer. Thought it was a decent game, but didn't live up to hype? Cool, totally understandable, hope you enjoyed it enough for the asking price.

But in a world of:
  • ET The Extra-Terrestrial
  • Superman 64
  • Mortal Kombat: Special Forces
  • Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing
  • Daikatana
  • Postal III
  • Anthem
  • Fallout 76
  • Wii Shovel Ware
  • Asset flips on Steam
  • And about two dozen Kickstarter games that never saw the light of day and never offered refunds
You truly believe Cyberpunk 2077 by CD Project Red released in 2020 is the "worst of the worst"? I hope you can understand my scepticism here.
Screw that, those are all works of art compared to the shit in the video I posted above that's on psn.

Miles708

Right, and if it's a one time issue, then I wouldnt ban the third party distributor at all.

Seeing as how they published games on Xbox, PS4 and PC without faults in the past.

Like I said, the game wasnt ready, it should have been delayed and for consoles it was a shit product.

That does not mean that Sony should be held up as some fucking GODS for offering refunds to customers?????????????????
You're mixing 2 different problems.

Delisting this shit was the correct move.

Offering refunds was the minimum expected, and the correct thing to do.

Sony offered refunds even after the game has been launched (contrary to their usual policy) only because CDPR forced their hand. And that's because Sony refund policy is, generally speaking, total shit.

All these things are true at the same time.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
You're missing 2 different problems.

Delisting this shit was the correct move.

Offering refunds was the minimum expected, and the correct thing to do.

Sony offered refunds even after the game has been launched (contrary to their usual policy) only because CDPR forced their hand. And that's because Sony refund policy is, generally speaking, total shit.

All these things are true at the same time.

I never said it was an incorrect move. I agree with it being taken off the Playstation store.
Offering refunds was indeed the minimum expected, and Sony did not want to do this, and that is why they took the game off the PSN store. They did not want to give out more refunds.

The only reason they started offering refunds, is because of the horrible PR backlash it would have caused, had they adhered to their usual "Oh I'm sorry, you have already played the game? Shit outta luck boi" response.

CDPR didn't really force their hand. It was more Microsoft forcing their hands for allowing refunds, and Sony not. To avoid this horrible PR nightmare, they said fuck it we'll just remove the game from the store so we don't have to give out more refunds. Like I said, Sony are happy to sell you broken games on their store. Unless someone (PR nightmare) makes a big deal out of it.

Miles708

I never said it was an incorrect move. I agree with it being taken off the Playstation store.
Offering refunds was indeed the minimum expected, and Sony did not want to do this, and that is why they took the game off the PSN store. They did not want to give out more refunds.

The only reason they started offering refunds, is because of the horrible PR backlash it would have caused, had they adhered to their usual "Oh I'm sorry, you have already played the game? Shit outta luck boi" response.

CDPR didn't really force their hand. It was more Microsoft forcing their hands for allowing refunds, and Sony not. To avoid this horrible PR nightmare, they said fuck it we'll just remove the game from the store so we don't have to give out more refunds. Like I said, Sony are happy to sell you broken games on their store. Unless someone (PR nightmare) makes a big deal out of it.

That's fair enough.
As I said earlier in a post, I think it was a mix of factors (pr nightmare, high volumes, critical bugs) that brought Sony to that decision.
I agree that in a normal circumstances Sony would not have made such a fuss, but nothing in CB2077's launch has been normal.

Last edited:

Raekwon26

I am just telling you how a retail store works. Not my problem if you cant see the forest for the fucking trees and pretend to be so stupid you cant even adhere to this 'what if' scenario.
Do you want to discuss it or just wanna throw shade? I worked in retail for years. Yes its not the same as a digital storefront, but its the same in the way that customers deal with the front end store, not the back end store.

No, you're being fucking retarded.

You're comparison with DVDs is total stupidity because YOU own the DVDs. They are yours's to sell and you receive the profit from the sell, you don't have a percentage that you give to each producer of each DVD do you?

Sony do not own Cyberpunk. It is not their property. It's third party property. Any sale they make, they take a percentage, not the full amount. CDPR will take the lion share of the profits.

The two are not comparable at all.

You seem to have it stuck in your fucking head that Sony did something that we all praising. That's not the case at all. They made a move which totally and fully benefits themselves.......... and they should.

CDPR were fucking with their money.

That's business 101.

Last edited:

I think the only reason MS didn't follow suite was because they spent millions in marketing rights for CP2077, hell there was even a themed XB1X (Despite the game not really arriving in time/right at the tell end).

laynelane

Mind you I have 0 issue with the game being taken off the Playstation Store. I dont care about that.

What I care about is some of y'all acting like Sony did you guys a favor. They didnt do anyone a favor, in fact they would have happily sold a shitty game to everyone (and they did, before the backlash).

The only reason they took it off the Playstation Store is to garner goodwill and good PR.

Instead of saying their usual "Oh I'm sorry you can't refund this because you played it."

That's the part I care about. I'm well aware of the reasons why Sony took it off their store. However, the removal caused CDPR's stock price to fall further at the time with some estimates being a loss of over a billion dollars for the company. That's not all on the removal of the game from the PSN store, but it certainly helped. All the lying, misleading advertising, etc. done up to launch was for money. Which they made in pre-orders and day one purchases. Then, in time, it also resulted in a massive loss of money. That, the money, is what seems to matter the most to both companies involved. My hope is this case prompts other developers and CDPR to never pull shit like this again. It's not that Sony's move was pro-consumer in and of itself, but that it may have an impact in improving things for consumers.

MrS

Banned
This can’t be a serious post...lazy dev?
Fuckin-A they're lazy. Too lazy to test the game or even pay for the game to *be* tested on PS4 and Xbox One. Fuck outta here with the CDPR defence force rhetoric.

Mozzarella

Yeah been watching some of those streams.

He literally tries to polish a turd. Thats all he really does. He nitpicks every detail around the map/quest and he explains things as if no one ever did them before. Its very weird and feel forced. Its almost like he's trying to redeem the game through narrative and background details alone. For an entire minute, he explained the psyche behind the shoes that are hanged to a basketball hoop. Really? Those kind of background narrative telling has been happening in video games for, like, 20 years. I remember Gordon Freeman's locker from Half-Life and all them background details on a freaking 1998 video game. What is he really trying to prove?

He lost me when he was reading the e-mails and said "oh, we have a reminder for our flat's rent, better pay that later"

Yeah... As if we can... Why can't we, huh? Why doesn't Night City has a cost of living? No bills, no rents, no nothing. All show, no talk. I would've liked a system where I feel like an actual NC resident.
Indeed, he talks way too much about those environmental details that he actually plays 1 hour within 3 hours, maybe even less. And to be clear i appreciate those little details and i like that he is passionate about this, but man the core details are missing or are half-baked, like there's so much stuff that you can improve to reach good levels instead of these irrelevant little details that few people really give a shit about. And the question he choses to answer are just safe typical questions, then he gives somewhat ok answer, nothing really explosive or interesting to take away from the stream. If you ask a serious question like "Why does it this X Quests choices dont matter or feel limited" then zzzzz, no one is here.

Top Bottom