• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt says Cyberpunk 2077 performance has reached ‘a satisfying level’

SJRB

Gold Member
Look, this game is not going to get better performance on [base] last-gen consoles. It's as simple as that.

So I am more than happy that they're actually gonna do some quality of life upgrades now, because holy shit as a PC player I've been sitting with my thumb up my ass since the game launched, waiting for general improvements.

kuncol02

Banned
Sorry CDPR I erased the game from my PS5 because enemies dessapearing under the floor spoils the game...

Hello Games took year to fix NMS and CDRP after few month says they feel good with the current estate of the game..?? This is the definition of mediocrity
You have some reading problems? They said that performance reached satisfying levels (from what I saw quickly jumping through DF video it's pretty much 30fps), not game state.

shubik

Can they fix the issues with density on PS5? I hadn't played it since December and they've actually downgraded that aspect immensely for some reason, in the city centre driving around for 2 minutes I saw NO CARS.

Currently playing it on my PS5. The game runs 90% of the time smoothly with 60FPS. It looks good and most of the textures are high ress. But it is empty. FInding another car is sometimes a thing of minutes. Also, it seems like there are certain areas in the city where NPC´s simply don´t spawn. Had this happen yesterday walking around Corpo plaza at night.

I really hope they can pump up the NPC and car density for the next-gen update. Besides that, the game looks and plays great on PS5

Shut0wen

Base Xbox One owners have been getting the shit end of the stick since they became base Xbox One owners. Nothing runs well on that machine, so if they expected this to run well they were just kidding themselves. Source: I've had one collecting dust since I bought a One X.
Id agree with you but man red dead 2 is pretty fucking impressive on base xbox tbh, especially when you compare it to a game like ac origins that looks ugly af on base xbox

I saw a guy showing the 'performance improvements' with his 5950X + a 3090 and it was getting around 40FPS when driving around the lifeless city that is Night City.

What a total joke when you've got games like GTA V that has a decent population in the city with details and actual simulated weather systems that affect all the drivable vehicles in the game including wind simulation for all the aircraft.

Meanwhile Cryberwank 2069 can barely run basic NPC & traffic without having to despawn them when you look aware for a second.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Yeah this will make me buy it again

bought the CE, just to sell it again (with loss) but totally worth it. What a mess this game remains to be.

tassletine

I saw a guy showing the 'performance improvements' with his 5950X + a 3090 and it was getting around 40FPS when driving around the lifeless city that is Night City.

What a total joke when you've got games like GTA V that has a decent population in the city with details and actual simulated weather systems that affect all the drivable vehicles in the game including wind simulation for all the aircraft.

Meanwhile Cryberwank 2069 can barely run basic NPC & traffic without having to despawn them when you look aware for a second.)
I'm not a fan of this game, but the one thing that the engine does spectacularly well, is loading in completely new scenarios within seconds (and I'm not talking about the cops ;).
They did a really good job with that. Shame about the rest.

Flabagast

Look, this game is not going to get better performance on [base] last-gen consoles. It's as simple as that.

So I am more than happy that they're actually gonna do some quality of life upgrades now, because holy shit as a PC player I've been sitting with my thumb up my ass since the game launched, waiting for general improvements.
A lot of people were already saying that after patch 1.2, but yet with the most recent patch (1.23) performance increased quite dramatically (on base PS4 anyways) until 5-6 fps in some spots - that is 20 to 30% performance increase at times. So we never know. But yes now performance, if not perfect at all, has become acceptable on old gen (and stability was greatly enhanced as well)

Anyway the statement is quite good for gamers. The CEO says that they are still deeply committed to improve the game, with now a deeper focus on the overhaul of general systems but that they still will be working on performance and bugs for the rest of the year. Most of all, he affirms that the majority of the 600 people studio is STILL working on CP77 base game and that they are clearly not abandoning it. I do not know why some websites try to spin this statement as something negative or cocky from CDPR, whereas it's all good news in my book. You got to reach for those hate clicks I guess.

SJRB

Gold Member
A lot of people were already saying that after patch 1.2, but yet with the most recent patch (1.23) performance increased quite dramatically (on base PS4 anyways) until 5-6 fps in some spots - that is 20 to 30% performance increase at times. So we never know. But yes now performance, if not perfect at all, has become acceptable on old gen (and stability was greatly enhanced as well)

Anyway the statement is quite good for gamers. The CEO says that they are still deeply committed to improve the game, with now a deeper focus on the overhaul of general systems but that they still will be working on performance and bugs for the rest of the year. Most of all, he affirms that the majority of the 600 people studio is STILL working on CP77 base game and that they are clearly not abandoning it. I do not know why some websites try to spin this statement as something negative or cocky from CDPR, whereas it's all good news in my book. You got to reach for those hate clicks I guess.

In fairness that performance increase came at quite a cost since it basically gutted NPC and vehicle spawn rates. The city that's supposed to house tens of millions of people is a ghost town.

At some point CDPR has to realize that they've reached the apex of performance increase and what still constitutes as the videogame they made.

But yeah I agree that this is good news overall.

honestly the game has ran great on PC from day 1 and i've heard it's quite good on PS5/XSX too. it's only the ancient consoles from 2013 that it struggles with and i agree what they've got right now is probably as about good as it's ever gonna get for PS4/XB1.

it's time to move on and improve gameplay, add QoL fixes, and new content (free/paid DLC).

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
At this point you can't improve the game further without rewriting some part or the code.
It's a next gen game, and it runs well on next gen platforms. It also runs well on mid gen old consoles.
At this point it's like playing The Witcher on Switch, you already know performance will not be good everytime.

So stop trying to improving the code and just fix all the bugs and AI.

ReBurn

Gold Member
that the developer now feels it is able to dedicate more attention to improving other elements of the game, such as common complaints around game systems and features.

I think some of the promised game systems they had in mind are there. I watched a couple youtube videos some time ago of people pointing to evidence that other game features were removed from the final game or they just didn't have the time to implement them.

They got dragged over the coals from the gaming community and the polish government for the shambles of a launch and surely CDPR are not that stupid to shoot themselves in the foot again to promise this and that and not deliver.
They have a reputation to repair and I fully believe that is what they're focused on by making good on their promises for this game.

Only thing I don't agree with is them releasing a fucking roadmap for these fixes. That's putting unnecessary pressure on themselves to deliver on time.
If they're going to rebuild trust then they need to communicate how they're going to do it. People won't trust them if they don't present a plan and deliver on it. If they take a "you get what you get when you get it" approach they aren't going to be able to repair their reputation.

It's fine to set and communicate goals. They just need to set goals they can achieve.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
“We have reached a satisfying level in this regard,”

its_classified_barack_obama.gif

same here. performance wasn't the problem when i played it. in fact i was impressed how well it ran and even managed to turn RTX on. the problem is the game feels so unfinished. i need a good few updates with some gameplay/QoL changes and those free dlcs and paid expansions.

they've spent the last 6 months trying to improve consoles so now it's good to hear they will be moving on.

assurdum

Banned

CEO Adam Kiciński commented during a WSE Innovation Day conference (via TVN24) that the developer now feels it is able to dedicate more attention to improving other elements of the game, such as common complaints around game systems and features.

The majority of the company’s 600 employees will continue to work on updates to Cyberpunk 2077 and the new-gen console version planned for release later this year, he said.

“We have reached a satisfying level in this regard,” the CEO said regarding the current stability and performance of the game.

“We have also been working on improving the overall quality, which we are also quite happy about. Of course, we also removed bugs and visual glitches and we will continue to do that,” he said. “Over time, we will also be introducing improvements to the general game systems that players have highlighted.”

Asked at the WSE Innovation Day conference how the return to PlayStation had affected sales of Cyberpunk 2077, vice president Piotr Nielubowicz said the company had a policy of not providing detailed sales data outside of key milestones.

“We provide data when they reach milestones or accumulate to a specific amount,” he said. “Therefore, now we will not comment on these results after two days.”

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF
angry soap opera GIF by General Hospital

Impotaku

The game is badly made, needed at least another year minimum to properly complete but i guess when you have an army of stans kissing your ass in complete denial that they were sold an beta release at full price and handwaving away any criticism it's easy to get away with it. I remember watching the pc streamers at launch on youtube & the amount of times it randomly crashed was laughable.

But i guess thats cdpr quality for ya
WoBi.gif

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Id agree with you but man red dead 2 is pretty fucking impressive on base xbox tbh, especially when you compare it to a game like ac origins that looks ugly af on base xbox
RDR2 on base Xbox One was the worst version with the lowest resolution and least amount of detail. I think Rockstar got what they could out of it but they did sacrifice a lot for the performance they got. Base Xbox One was constantly below 30 FPS when in cities. Saint Denis was so choppy on the base system. When I moved between rooms from X to base and continued playing on my launch system I got to the point where I couldn't play it because playing on X had spoiled me.

I think the takeaway for RDR2 is that base Xbox One was better than previous Rockstar games for Xbox but it wasn't the best experience.

I think the difference when it comes to Cyberpunk is that CDPR released an incomplete, broken game and Rockstar didn't. it would be hard for anyone to do worse on console than CDPR did with Cyberpunk.

If only they've dropped last-gen we may had an amazing true next-gen RPG.
But CDPR may not get the money from last gen install base...OH WAIT! They already lost a lot of money because they released unfinished game. 🤷‍♂️

The pop in of the npcs is really what still kills the immersion of the game for me….if it didn’t happen so often it would be ok

gtav was so ahead of its time

Umbasaborne

Banned
The game is badly made, needed at least another year minimum to properly complete but i guess when you have an army of stans kissing your ass in complete denial that they were sold an beta release at full price and handwaving away any criticism it's easy to get away with it. I remember watching the pc streamers at launch on youtube & the amount of times it randomly crashed was laughable.

But i guess thats cdpr quality for ya
WoBi.gif
I keep saying, if they put it out last year to recoup some cost, and labeled it as an early access version or something, and properly explained why a full release needed more time (a full year plus most likely) they would not have lost as much good will

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I've read all the negative shit, seen all the hilarious youtube videos and watched as this game was bashed left, right and center.... but i cannot wait to check it out, obviously i'm waiting till the next gen version drops before buying it for my PS5, it still looks incredibly stunning to me in some vids/screenshots

Kinda funny that a game announced over a year before the launch of Xbox One/PS4 ended up releasing that bad 8 years later on those consoles.

Not being hyped at all for it makes waiting an extra year for things to smooth over a lot easier.

intbal

DF did video. Game is running well

Also 95% of game takes place inside of buildings where game run 30fps even on base consoels day 1. It is the 5% people complained about that SOMETIMES it goes to 15 fps in heavy scenes.

No they didn't. DF hasn't done a video covering CP2077 on Xbox since back in April.
Want to know what the performance numbers were for this 95% that "takes place inside of buildings"?
cpcp1.png

The game was consistently (but erratically) in the 21-27fps range.

But surely the game was steadily improving patch-to-patch, right?

cpcp2.png

Nevermind the framerate. Look at that frame-time graph. The game got worse on base Xbox One, not better.

Well, then, at least CDPR got the premium console running well.
cpcp3.png

Damn.

CDPR didn't even put their janitor on a 2003 iMac to write a single line of code aimed at improving the Xbox versions of the game.
Once Sony yanked the game from the store, all their efforts were devoted to patching the Playstation versions. Digital Foundry DID do a video covering the most recent patch on all Playstation platforms. It works very well across the range. But, even in 1.23, base Xbox One still remains in the low 20s for significant sections of the game. Especially the action scenes, where you need better performance.

ethomaz

Banned
DF did video. Game is running well

Also 95% of game takes place inside of buildings where game run 30fps even on base consoels day 1. It is the 5% people complained about that SOMETIMES it goes to 15 fps in heavy scenes.
No.
Even the last patch DF said the expience on PS4 is subpar and only PS4 Pro was indeed reached playable state.

You don't need to made up histories when the DF videos are public.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I recently played through it on PC and for the most part it ran really good. Damn shame they did not launch it that way.

PC version was never the problem. It was janky but not completely fucked like the console versions.

mortal

Gold Member
Oh how the mighty have fallen smh.

Half a year ago this was potentially in the running for GOTG, now I wouldn't even think of paying anything north of $20 for it, if that.

Denton

"Satisfied" implies a finality, that they're done with it. That's not what the Polish text says.

He's basically saying "we reached a level of performance where we can start implementing changes to the general systems that players have been complaining about, while continuing to work on bugs and visual glitches".

Umbasaborne

Banned
I've read all the negative shit, seen all the hilarious youtube videos and watched as this game was bashed left, right and center.... but i cannot wait to check it out, obviously i'm waiting till the next gen version drops before buying it for my PS5, it still looks incredibly stunning to me in some vids/screenshots
Honestly there is a lot to like, but its not finished, and even on next gen consoles right now there really isnt an ideal experience unless you have a beefy pc. Wait until the real next gen ports arrive. By then hopefully the game will be more feature and content complete, and will look and run like a dream on these new machines. Right now it feels like its in early access

So they think it's ok and on top of that they charge us $50 for a 7 months old game that's not even half of what they promised and still has a lot of bugs? That's the biggest "fuck you" I've ever seen from a developer, let alone a developer of this size. Even Hello Games, and indie developer, had the shame to do things right. My god, what a fucking horrible company, I'll never buy any game from you again.
It's not a fuck you though. They're saying they're gonna keep fixing bugs and developing updates to add new features and content. Read the whole thing.

scydrex

No.
Even the last patch DF said the expience on PS4 is subpar and only PS4 Pro was indeed reached playable state.

You don't need to made up histories when the DF videos are public.

Exactly. It has horrible pop-in and streaming issues too. Only the PS4 pro is playable on FPS and Xbox One X of course.

Well thing is the way they made it playable on the Pro was by removing assets so game is even emptier to reach a pleasing FPS. Also charging $50 for a 7 month old game which is plagued by issues....I mean a game like RE8 will be $40 in 3 months since release, I dont understand how they had the balls to charge full price after all this time especially when small brick n mortar resellers are charging less and you can get a used copy for like $25.

njean777

Will wait for the ps5 version to play it fully. I put about 5 ours into it and enjoyed what I played, but want the actual PS5 version before I put major time into the game.

Top Bottom