• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red is 'Totally, Fully Committed' to Cyberpunk Franchise

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the company's latest earnings call, CD Projekt's vice president of business development Michal Nowakowski confirmed the studio's commitment to building and expanding the Cyberpunk franchise. "We're totally, fully committed to developing the Cyberpunk IP further," Nowakowski said, while also adding that this goes beyond the recently announced Phantom Liberty expansion for Cyberpunk 2077.

In his statement, Nowakowski acknowledged the time and effort that the team put into developing Cyberpunk 2077, and said that the studio is looking to build upon what has already been built today with new stories, new experiences, and new content. He also added that these don't necessarily have to be in a video game format, corroborating the idea that Cyberpunk 2077 will only feature one major expansion in the foreseeable future.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Music to my ears, frankly. I just started a new play through of CP2077 with the new 1.6 patch, and yeah - game is still incredible. Word on the first three episodes of Edgerunners is its a pretty decent anime, with loads for fans of the game to enjoy. So, they're doing pretty good with the IP so far.

If they're moving to simultaneous development, we're likely going to see Cyberpunk 2088 only a couple of years after Witcher 4 lands. Since Cyberpunk 2077 is their last game on their proprietary RED Engine, it also stands to reason that the next Cyberpunk title will be using Unreal Engine, which they're helping contribute to for the purposes of making better open world games. Could be very interesting - difficulties with their engine were apparently a main cause of the issues in Cyberpunk 2077.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
not like this GIF

Games half decent, but it is a bloatfest with not a whole lot of new mechanics or ideas. Once you’re about 20 hours in it becomes extremely flat and uninspired, with no new surprises.

Plus it was an absolute mess at launch on last gen consoles. They’ll never live that down until they launch Witcher 4 in a beautiful state. Not sure I’m down for any more cyberpunk.

SJRB

Gold Member
As am I. Amazing IP with incredible potential. The game, books, comics, upcoming anime.

Whatever is next for a Cyberpunk game, and even though it’s probably gonna take 8 years: I am there.

Sentenza

Admittedly a Cyberpunk based on the same ruleset/mechanics/itemization of the first would be of absolutely no interest to me.
Which is painful to say, given how much I loved the pen&paper Cyberpunk ruleset.

Last edited:

EDMIX

not like this GIF

Games half decent, but it is a bloatfest with not a whole lot of new mechanics or ideas. Once you’re about 20 hours in it becomes extremely flat and uninspired, with no new surprises.

Plus it was an absolute mess at launch on last gen consoles. They’ll never live that down until they launch Witcher 4 in a beautiful state. Not sure I’m down for any more cyberpunk.

Thats how I see this.

I'd be more hype for more Cyberpunk if they were able to make a functional game the first time. What will they do with a sequel? Make sure NPCs know you exist? Oh gangs can drive cars now? smfh. At this rate, we'll be waiting another 10 years for them to learn how to make it from a PS2 game to PS3 game.

Fuck it, move on to Witcher 4 and we'll get tons open world games set in the future that are actually fucking functional games by creditable developers that can fund and pull that off vs waiting years later for a fucking patch for NPCs to behave normally. Nothing of value was lost. We got our answer to if they could and what if they did this or that. I'm not longer hype about seeing more of this IP, by this publisher if they don't change what's going on at that company.
So commited they entirely dropped the mp which could have been amazing in this game world

lol ohhhh yea forgot about that, but shit....so did they. Promised so much, released so little, years later waiting for a complete working game.

They should just focus on that next Witcher trilogy

In the company's latest earnings call, CD Projekt's vice president of business development Michal Nowakowski confirmed the studio's commitment to building and expanding the Cyberpunk franchise. "We're totally, fully committed to developing the Cyberpunk IP further,"
I'm getting this Ass Creed vibe.

First one sucked but they stuck with it. Their first Witcher game was also so-so, to be fair.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Well since they are about to use UE5 for their games I can see them doing well. I hope the next CP is a more mature take of that world, at times it felt like every bit of dialog was written by a 13 year old on to many energy drinks.

Sentenza

Technical Issues that management could not resolve/handle was the issue imo.
You could iron out every single technical bug, visual glitch or performance issue out of CP and it would remain a tragically dull and mediocrely designed game at its core.

In that sense, the only way I could see a change of engine being beneficial is in saving time for developers (and especially in making new developers familiar with it).

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
As it should, after what they did. I'm happy for what they're doing for Cyberpunk(its great job btw), but players have every reason to still be mad at them. It will take time for heal the wounds, but the more they focus the more closer this games get to its perfection.

I'm actually excited by this. Cyberpunk is pretty damned good these days. It feels like a game that needed to be built for next gen consoles only, and needed an extra year in the oven and it would have been awesome on release

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Weirdly worded but it is a no-brainer for them to do Cyberpunk 2 for PC and PS6 / Xbox series 361 X. I look forward to seeing what improvements they make by then.

a new game after the expansion!?!?!????? even if it is a mobile game then count me the fuck in.

the game has some issues but i enjoyed it a lot and im excited for the expansion. good to hear they havent been put off. we’re definitely getting a Cyberpunk sequel! fuck yeah! the world Mike Pondsmith created is too damn good to give up on. as much as i liked the first person game i hope they make a cyberpunk crpg something like Baldurs Gate 3 even if its a cyberpunk spin off.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Yeah whatever. Just concentrate on the witcher for now.
Oh, don't worry, they will.
This has been the modus operandi of CDPR for years at this point:
"We have several studios and a lot of personnel. We are big enough to develop two triple A projects at the same time".
*Proceeds to cannibalize the second team, put the second project on hold and still crunch for months to deliver the first AAA in anything resembling a human timescale*

Last edited:
Just FArm it out to HelloGames (Or whatever the NMS development team is called) They should be the studio that all crappy, failed games go to get ressurrected.

Kinda like a Pimp My Ride but for vidya. "You had a ford cougar cyberpunk game. Now it has some bitching new graphics and features n shit"

Just FArm it out to HelloGames (Or whatever the NMS development team is called) They should be the studio that all crappy, failed games go to get ressurrected.

Kinda like a Pimp My Ride but for vidya. "You had a ford cougar cyberpunk game. Now it has some bitching new graphics and features n shit"

They only revived their own failed crappy game and that took years.

Top Bottom