• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red: "Everyone is feeling the pressure on Cyberpunk 2077"

CyberPanda

Banned
For two years in a row, CD Projekt Red has seen Cyberpunk 2077 dominate E3.

ICO Partners revealed that the open-world RPG received more press coverage than any other gameduring E3 week, but we didn't need data to discover that. GamesIndustry.biz spoke to our sister publications ahead of the event about what they were most looking forward to seeing, and Cyberpunk was the unifying response. And the moment Keanu Reeves brought the house down during Microsoft's press conference, it was apparent that CD Projekt Red had done it again.
Now the team just has to manage the impossible task of living up to the hype when the game launches in April next year.

"It goes both ways," begins Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, quest director on Cyberpunk 2077. "First of all, it's super exciting because obviously you want people to love the game you are making and to be excited about it as much as we are. On the other hand, it's stressful because it's a huge pressure, especially now we have a release date announced.

"There's a big pressure on the whole team to deliver the game on time and to a high quality. I would say it's also motivating because it gives us a very clear goal. We can see from the reaction that it's been very well received. If we deliver this, there is a chance it'll be very successful. Everyone in the office is feeling this way; now we need to do this and it'll be really cool."

The big moment for Cyberpunk 2077's second E3 appearance was the reveal of Keanu Reeves as the character of Johnny Silverhand. The casting did not leak ahead of the reveal, and the audience reaction was impressive when Reeves appeared on stage. It also spawned the 'You're breathtaking' meme, which would go on to dominate the show (and will no doubt have a life beyond it).

"I'm surprised we kept it secret," laughs Tomaszkiewicz, who adds that Keanu Reeves was the only real choice for the character. "We were thinking about who [Johnny] is as a character. He is a rebel and is standing against the oppression; he's standing for an idea. A lot of characters that Keanu has played in his career were like that as well. We felt it was a natural pick for the character.

"Also, I'm not sure if you know this, but he's also played a lot of characters called John or Johnny, which creates this cool link [Johnny Silverhand is from the original Cyberpunk RPG series]. In general, we felt it was a natural pick and he's a very experienced actor. We were very excited to be working with him."

No, you're breathtaking E3 may have been a dominant performance for Cyberpunk, but it wasn't without its detractors. There were concerns over an E3 demo that featured a group of predominantly black characters called "Animals", and concerns were raised over a transgender image in an in-game ad. It has been necessary for CD Projekt Red to state its defence on both.

And a month before E3, CD Projekt Red's management came out to address the issue of crunch at the company. In an interview with Kotaku, the firm talked about a new policy of "non-obligatory crunch," in an effort to eliminate the feeling that staff must work excessive hours.

The interview was read by everyone on the team, Tomaszkiewicz tells us, and generally it has gone down well amongst the staff.
"When the article came out, that piece with Adam and Marcin, everyone in the office obviously read it and we had discussions about it," he tells us. "I would say it was a very positive thing. I think it worked well for us. Everything that was necessary to say about the subject was said during that specific interview. I'd say it had a positive impact for the company and on people's morale."

Tomaszkiewicz notes that the "non-obligatory" part of the policy -- an element that has faced some criticism -- comes from the fact that some of the studio's staff simply want to put in the extra hours.

"It's especially visible not just in games but in the industries where you work on projects that you are passionate about and you want to deliver something special. Artists, I believe, crunch; movie makers, painters, sculptors and so on... When you create something with passion and you want it to be really, really good, you're willing to go this extra step for it."

There's been a lot of change at CD Projekt Red over the past five years. The Cyberpunk 2077 team is "at least twice the size" of The Witcher 3 team, thanks to the company having to add experts from different fields -- whether that's for the shooting mechanics, or the driving segments. It's all in the effort to deliver a strong curtain closer on this generation of consoles. Think of it as this generation's Grand Theft Auto V.

"We have hired a lot of talented people to work on those," Tomaszkiewicz concludes. "The driving model, for example, we'd never had anything like that in The Witcher games, because obviously you don't have cars. We have acquired a lot of talented people throughout these years. On top of that, we've brought a lot of experience in lessons we learned from previous projects; how to build an open world, how to build a narrative in it in a compelling way, how to build compelling characters and how to do good writing.

"On top of that we've added this new layer of non-linearity in the gameplay. This is a very big thing for us in this project, to not only give you options to play the story the way you'd like to play it, but also to play the game the way you'd like to play it -- mix different styles of play. You can shoot your way through some missions, or you can stealth through them, or you can open additional ways of going through them based on the character development.
"All of that stuff, a lot of it is very new for us. This is something of a challenge we've made for ourselves; to push the genre a little bit further. That's what we're always trying to do. We're trying to push the limit of what is great."

Want to pay for my planet ticket? I will relieve all their pressures, and I'm probably gonna be tired and sore after. But, thats ok.
I'll let Samuel L. Jackson tell you what he feels about your proposal:
giphy.gif

Ironbunny

Its actually one of those games that I'm not even going to trust reviews from gamers themself but have to test it myself to see if it lives up to promises. There is so much baggage towards hopes and dreams of what this game should be in the eyes of fans that I'm hard pressed to see it not getting vocal negative impressions what ever game ends up to be. Be it because of politics or game mechanics/gameplay.

One of the biggest hurdles I think will be the gunplay and whether its fun or not. Yet I dont see it as a make or break problem. With the future setting and cybernetics being part of the charecter upgrade path you can most likely play it similiarily to Witcher with blades and "magic". Interesting to actually see if it actually ties in with the Witcher universe in any way.

Varteras

Gold Member
I mean it's honestly the price a studio pays for being so good at what they do. As unfair as that is. It's the same thing Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studio go through every time. When you're outstanding you're expected to be outstanding all the time. People bank on it. When you're not, it rattles people. It dramatically reduces confidence. It makes others less likely to put a ton of money and time into your project and people don't speak so highly about your next game. It's the nature of the beast.

GreyHorace

They certainly don't need the pressure from certain members of the gaming press who are outraged at stuff that should be inconsequential. I thought game journalists were supposed to fight for the rights of developers?

Oh that's right. They only fight for those who follow their draconian SJW rules. Seriously, fuck woke culture and the game journalists who aggressively push it.

PhantomReaper

Neo Member
CyberPanda CyberPanda , why don't you fly over to their studio and relief them from the pressure, if you know what I mean? ;)
Want to pay for my planet ticket? I will relieve all their pressures, and I'm probably gonna be tired and sore after. But, thats ok.
I'll let Samuel L. Jackson tell you what he feels about your proposal:
giphy.gif
I only have a brother. 🍆💦💦
If that girl was my sister, let’s just say I would break the incest rule.🤭😎😔🤡🌎

I AM THE PHANTOM REAPER
I HAVE DETECTED HORNINESS IN THIS THREAD
CEASE OR I WILL REAP YOU

Tesseract

Banned
it might be meh, we'll see

witcher 3 has some serious issues (i love it, but it's a mess)

looks amazing tho

Last edited:

Aggelos

CyberPanda CyberPanda , why don't you fly over to their studio and relief them from the pressure, if you know what I mean? ;)

I guess a good way to relieve them from pressure, is to hire motivators that will help the team work with the so-called Itagaki method.
In an interview with Famitsu Xbox, Tomonobu Itagaki remarked that he spent 99% of his time developing Dead or Alive 4, while only sleeping 40 minutes in four days.

Finding innovative ways to get more workload done, is a way to relieve yourself from pressure. The more you see tasks getting crossed out from the to-do list (e.g. by reaching important milestones in the development) the more the pressure soothes.
And the prerequisite of that is to get more workload done and to make more progress inherently,

CyberPanda

Banned
I guess a good way to relieve them from pressure, is to hire motivators that will help the team work with the so-called Itagaki method.

Finding innovative ways to get more workload done, is a way to relieve yourself from pressure. The more you see tasks getting crossed out from the to-do list (e.g. by reaching important milestones in the development) the more the pressure soothes.
And the prerequisite of that is to get more workload done and to make more progress inherently,
He’s a legend.

Cato

Banned
Its actually one of those games that I'm not even going to trust reviews from gamers themself but have to test it myself to see if it lives up to promises. There is so much baggage towards hopes and dreams of what this game should be in the eyes of fans that I'm hard pressed to see it not getting vocal negative impressions what ever game ends up to be. Be it because of politics or game mechanics/gameplay.

One of the biggest hurdles I think will be the gunplay and whether its fun or not. Yet I dont see it as a make or break problem. With the future setting and cybernetics being part of the charecter upgrade path you can most likely play it similiarily to Witcher with blades and "magic". Interesting to actually see if it actually ties in with the Witcher universe in any way.

I will buy it because I kind of buy ALL games that come to my local EB-Games store.
I have about ~100 unopened PS4 games so far so adding another one to the backlog will be no sweat.

Death Stranding and BB2 however, those will be "take the week off and play and play and play".

Psajdak

Banned
I don't understand why would they feel any pressure...

I mean, we all know that they wil undobtedly make the best game in history, absolutely perfect masterpiece in every sense.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

so true. the hype behind this game is insane and it's never gonna please everyone. you'll get people praising it as a masterpiece and you'll get people who will shit on it for legitimate reasons (maybe they don't like the combat, characters, or whatever) or just because they hate the developers or don't like saying anything positive about something popular.

i've preordered the game which is not something i do much (can't remember the last one i preordered). my thinking is that it's CDPR and i've not played any game of theirs and been disappointed. in fact every witcher game is a huge improvement upon the last. gwent is also a really good card game and probably the best i've played. i really believe that Cyberpunk will be better than Witcher 3 which is of course the game that made them so popular and well known.

if i hadn't already preordered then nobody would be able to convince me not to buy the game unless it was severely broken or lacking content which i find very unlikely to happen.

if the game ends up being shit then i'll be disappointed but i don't think it will be. i'm buying it no matter what and not listening to what others think.

I don't understand why would they feel any pressure...

I mean, we all know that they wil undobtedly make the best game in history, absolutely perfect masterpiece in every sense.
i think the game will be great for sure but i am definitely not expecting a "perfect masterpiece" and neither should you or anyone. such a thing is impossible and likely is only gonna disappoint you.

this is their first game with guns + cars. the map design will be nothing like any witcher game. yes they've made big city areas in Witcher 3 (novigrad/beauclair) but Night City will be so much bigger. they'll have to change their approach to mission design to make it fit into this kind of map. also it is of course their first game in first person.

my point is that a lot of things could go wrong or not be executed properly. sure i think CDPR will have risen to the challenge and give their best but we'll see. i'm really worried about how gunplay + driving feels. it's not like they have the experience of doing that kind of stuff. witcher combat is with swords + magic and travelling is by horse. we'll see how well they do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom