• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"CD Projekt Red Dev Defends Crunch, Suggests People Have An “Ideological Narrative” Against Them"

Lanrutcon

you dont know shit

Half the people in these kinds of threads don't know shit but it doesn't stop them weighing in anyway.

"I'm a fucking coal miner and work 29 hours a day so who the fuck cares about some pansy devs in a cushy office job I need to walk 50 miles through a raptor infested minefield and kill 20 communist lefties just to get a drink of water so crunch is made up nonsense"

Compsiox

Banned
Half the people in these kinds of threads don't know shit but it doesn't stop them weighing in anyway.

"I'm a fucking coal miner and work 29 hours a day so who the fuck cares about some pansy devs in a cushy office job I need to walk 50 miles through a raptor infested minefield and kill 20 communist lefties just to get a drink of water so crunch is made up nonsense"
Lmao. Just because one small town dev doesn't hear about crunch being an issue doesn't mean its not. You're insane if you think some studios out there won't take advantage of the passion driving people to the industry.

Lmao. Just because one small town dev doesn't hear about crunch being an issue doesn't mean its not. You're insane if you think some studios out there won't take advantage of the passion driving people to the industry.

You've been asked basic questions you refuse to answer.
It's your prerogative.

This is a thread about CDPR. Do you know for a fact, can you attest to CDPR "taking advantage" of developers?

That's what I thought.

Njocky

Banned
The only opinion that really matters on this is that of the developers at CDPR. If they really think that them working 6 days a week for no additional pay and forsaking any resemblance of a social life is is an ideological narrative, then it is.

cormack12

Gold Member
It's harder to find people to take up senior positions at big studios because their practices chase away that talent. Also the most popular studios like Blizzard definitely have access to a huge pool of people willing to work for the studio and some definitely take advantage of this.

It's a passion industry at the end of the day. Some will fuck with people who are passionate.

If that were true though it would create a higher demand in the sector (if everyone was walking out of jobs), therefore the job salary would increase as incentive or the perks would go up. The truth is every job is a choice. Right now the market is speaking, there is enough eupply to fill the demand at the current balance of salary, benefits etc. The jobs these devs are going for are lucrative. They could easy step down and take a pay cut and work on B Tier titles or even AA titles.

If anything you'd probably see a move to more of a daytrader type of work. Hit the work hard for 3 years, then take a year off to chill - maybe that skews turnover? There are too many variables.

Roufianos

I'm definitely not pro-crunch but it's only six days extra and according to Colin's maths, their devs earn a ridiculous amount of money. Pardon me for not feeling sorry for them, I'm sure there's infinately worse places to work.

Lux R7

i would watch this movie

Nico_D

I find it very interesting, psychologically and sociologically, how people believe thing is A and get told, "no, it is B". Well, A people say, "give us proof that it is B". B people bring the proof. The A people say: "No, it is lies/propaganda/PR". Like I wouldn't even be able to keep believing in anything if I've been shown evidence of the contrary and if I deem the evidence not to be enough, at least it doesn't make be deny the fact that I may be wrong and that I need to see further proof to be sure. But in my example, the A people are dead certain that they are right regardless.

Makes me wonder what Copernicus thought. I mean, how pissed off he must have been?

Drewpee

Banned

"Adrian Chmielarz, who is the founder of People Can Fly as well as his current studio The Astronauts, wrote a lengthy Facebook post this Sunday where he talked about how game development usually leads to crunch and there is a lot more to it then simply people overworking to deliver on a release date. He called it a complicated situation.

Łukasz Szczepankowski, Lead Technical Designer at CD Projekt Red, was one of the developers who responded to the post by Adrian Chmielarz by adding that he doesn’t consider “game development managers” as “proverbial capitalists.”

After the news of the crunch broke out, CD Projekt Red Studio Head Adam Badowski addressed the topic to say that his company will once again share 10% of its yearly profits with the development team. One user who was in conversation with Lukasz was skeptical of this claim to which he replied back saying that this is not a new thing but has been going on for a long time. He suggests that this news might be an attempt to put CDPR in a “bad” light.

Considering how outspoken some of the usual hypocrite journos can be (*cough*JasonShreier*cough*JimSterling*cough*), is it too much to expect them to follow these statements?

The company made a HUGE mistake in the eyes of gaming journalists when they said their game is not a political statement. They are paying for it now and will continue to as the game releases.

The same mentality in this thread is the reason developers are overworked and discarded. Disappointing and shows that people don't really know what's going on within the industry.

I don't think the gaming industry is special and game devs are not special snowflakes to me.
Doctors crunch, lawyers crunch, hell UPS delivery guys crunch. Life is a bitch.

For someone with a simple mind, maybe.

Let the fundamental difference between the two sides be underlined here:

I do not want to rob you or developers of the freedom to govern your or their own lives. You, on the other hand, do seem more than happy to rob me and developers of the freedom to govern our own lives.

You can appeal to all sorts of supposedly noble reasons, but at the end of the day it boils down to this key difference.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
if you were to sit down and figure out how much oppression is occuring at every chain in the production, from impoverished Africans mining precious metals to you holding the game box in your had, it's just amazing how the buck always seems to stop at "think of the poor overworked programmers" only after it flies over dozens of human rights abuses. it's really myopic. i mean we are talking ethnic prisoners being forced to assemble products. that happens BEFORE the dev even starts making the software to run on said slave labor enabled hardware.

the endless bitching it's also from the same people who rant about "We are the 99%" despite being ignorant of the fact that just by living in America they are literally in the 1% on this planet. they look at billionaires and it convinces them that THEY are oppressed. yet they have immense wealth and immense freedom when compared to most of the world. if you have a computer programming job then you are privileged, i'm sorry to say. not that you can't fight for worker's rights. but have some damn perspective.

Last edited:

luffie

"Mandate" is the wrong word here. It is no secret when CP2077 is coming out. The state of the game is not a secret. It is not hidden that CDPR wants the game to be as good as possible at release. Even a young child could tell you that it is time to put some more hours in. If you're the type of guy who needs to clock out at 5pm every single day of the year (BTW I don't know a single job, blue or white collar, where this is the case) then stop working on a tripe-A videogame.

Schreier trots this out with the "big game" of the year every single year. It's easy to do, because people work hard to finish these games. It's beyond tedious at this point, yet he gets attention from blue checkmarks on twitter and communist furry gamers every single time.
This is the stupid take of either this or that. Scheier was just reporting what it is, which is how he got his reputation and many people trust his news. Was it a big deal? Perhaps not, but did he lie? No.
Cdpr simply promises too much and failed to deliver. They were the ones who word by word says "there won't be mandatory crunch", and Jason even reconfirm by asking "so if he wanted to go home and not crunch, cdpr will be ok with that? Yes".
Turns out the release date cannot delay any longer, and mandatory crunch was necessary to do so.
Was the crunch bad? Probably not, but was it it mandatory? Yes. And thus cdpr can't keep the promise they made.
Your stupid ass has to make it as if crunch happens only this last month, but no. It was cdpr own employees who has been crunching for years, despite it not mandatory, and reported to Jason.
Jason wrote article, and many other media took it and blew it to another proportion.
Sure it's compensated and you can probably take it, but the stress level affects every individual differently. Don't be obtuse and make this as if it is a simple 2 sided issue of "this bad hence that good."

luffie

I might be wrong, but I feel all these stories are from millenials who:

have realised that work actually means work and it lasts 8 hours a day and are pissed off they're being held to it
have realised that their talent isn't actually what they thought it was and need to spend hours getting shit right rather than have everyone wank over their sketch that took 5 minutes
left/let go because of any of the above reasons

And they run to Uncle Jason as a source to broadcast their story and find a few friends as additional 'sources'. How many of his contacts are always 'former employees', contractors etc.

My honest opinion is he's trying to foster a single issue career and win some sort of award on the back of it.
Yeah you are wrong with all your delusions. As much as you accuse others with agenda, you have your own delusions on how Jason has an agenda of this and that.
The one running to Jason with promises was cdpr themselves. Why Jason? because he has a reputation of writing an article with credible source, developers people trust him. I bet you didn't even read his original article and simply jump on the "journalist bad" bandwagon.
Was the crunch terrible? Probably not. Was Jason lying? Also no. Was it blown out of proportion by many other outlets? Probably yes. Did cdpr break their own promise? Yes.
Lesson for cdpr? Don't over promise what you cannot deliver.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah you are wrong with all your delusions. As much as you accuse others with agenda, you have your own delusions on how Jason has an agenda of this and that.
The one running to Jason with promises was cdpr themselves. Why Jason? because he has a reputation of writing an article with credible source, developers people trust him. I bet you didn't even read his original article and simply jump on the "journalist bad" bandwagon.
Was the crunch terrible? Probably not. Was Jason lying? Also no. Was it blown out of proportion by many other outlets? Probably yes. Did cdpr break their own promise? Yes.
Lesson for cdpr? Don't over promise what you cannot deliver.

I've read all his shit. I'm well aware of the 'sources'. Go smoke his pipe some more.

Except you are.

Already answered that, pay more attention.

Except I'm not.

I am not forcing anyone to live according to my values. As long as they're not encroaching upon anyone's freedom, they can do whatever they want. They can decide whether to crunch or not. They can show a middle finger to management and quit, and so on and so forth. Unlike you, who, with the usual sanctimonious attitude, craves to regulate the lives of others when they're not trespassing on anyone's rights.

Write with more discernment.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

"Adrian Chmielarz, who is the founder of People Can Fly as well as his current studio The Astronauts, wrote a lengthy Facebook post this Sunday where he talked about how game development usually leads to crunch and there is a lot more to it then simply people overworking to deliver on a release date. He called it a complicated situation.

Łukasz Szczepankowski, Lead Technical Designer at CD Projekt Red, was one of the developers who responded to the post by Adrian Chmielarz by adding that he doesn’t consider “game development managers” as “proverbial capitalists.”

After the news of the crunch broke out, CD Projekt Red Studio Head Adam Badowski addressed the topic to say that his company will once again share 10% of its yearly profits with the development team. One user who was in conversation with Lukasz was skeptical of this claim to which he replied back saying that this is not a new thing but has been going on for a long time. He suggests that this news might be an attempt to put CDPR in a “bad” light.

Considering how outspoken some of the usual hypocrite journos can be (*cough*JasonShreier*cough*JimSterling*cough*), is it too much to expect them to follow these statements?

Naughty Dog said the same... :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

Papacheeks

Banned
Working in software development there's always some form of crunch. Software is not like regular products that can keep to a specific schedule because production wise machines are used. Software is all human number, code crunching.

Like there's not machine that uses zbrush to make a super detail model, or a machine that helps you rig up a complex character for the animation teams.

It's all human work force.

And with that comes human error, or inexperience. There's no way to avoid crunch, unless your not giving hard deadlines and targets. Then it becomes an early access piece of software that never leaves a alpha state. Meaning it's constantly changing and never complete.

And thats not a great space to be in to be honest. The only way you mitigate crunch, is better teams, better workflows, and a unlimited budget.

Something people like Jason would never know about. He knows about deadlines, and he himself probably has crunched to meet a deadline sometime in his career. But he doesnt delv in software development which can turn to shit literally by a code by code basis.
I've seen updates for some of the software we use for our graphics switcher literally take us off air. It took us all night working with our graphics company remotely and on the phone to write a custom software update for our graphics system. I came in at 7:30am, didnt leave till 12pm the next day.

And then came in the following day when the actual people from the company who write the graphics software came to our station to literally do a complete rewrite. And they were the ones who worked all day/night. They drove from Canada 2.5 hours to get to our station and stayed at a hotel until the rewrite was complete.
I get that there are extreme cases where companies treat employee's like shit like Rockstar i've heard horror stories, same with Blizzard/Activision. But I will have to say that most of those come from contract work and not salaried positions.

There are some who are salaried who get fucked. But a lot of people in specific positions understand that industry. When your making software it's hard not to have some kind of deadline crunch.

All we can do is make the work/pay environment better. Which will lead to having less mandatory crunch and better life/work balance for people.

thief183

As I already said in another thread... if my Employer ask me to do a month of crunch and they will share 10% of the revenue, I'll do 2 months... or 3. (Not more tho)

Reactions: MrS

thief183

H2UGEOUKNZCIBA7GPTHLBCFFZ4.jpg

I still can't believe that someone with this face have the right to vote and procreate.... Full blown democracy is a problem.

Siri

Banned
Two CDPR devs have now publicly expressed their opinions on crunch. They disagree with you. Evidently, you're free to frame it and dismiss it as them bootlicking.

Evidently you don’t seem to know that CDPR employs over 1,000 people. Let’s hear from the other 998 before we plant the victory flag.

I mean... Jeeze, talk about ‘framing things’. LOL.

Fuz

Banned
Except I'm not.

I am not forcing anyone to live according to my values. As long as they're not encroaching upon anyone's freedom, they can do whatever they want. They can decide whether to crunch or not. They can show a middle finger to management and quit, and so on and so forth. Unlike you, who, with the usual sanctimonious attitude, craves to regulate the lives of others when they're not trespassing on anyone's rights.

Write with more discernment.
Apparently, you are unable to read or severely lacking reading comprehension.
I'm not gonna repeat those concept for you. Waste of time.

Tesseract

Banned
crunch is part of the industry, don't be fucking pussies

you should be working 7 days / week / year

don't ever stop

'if the bar ain't bending, yer just pretending'

c0b091f45cbad818ce918300d53dcd8d.jpg

Evidently you don’t seem to know that CDPR employs over 1,000 people. Let’s hear from the other 998 before we plant the victory flag.

I mean... Jeeze, talk about ‘framing things’. LOL.

Who's planting the victory flag?
Like how you did after Jason' article?
The people who took Jason's claims at face value?

I'm not the one claiming this or that developer speaks for all developers. How can anyone think that more than a thousand developers all think alike on any topic?

I'm not the one dismissing certain opinions I disagree with as developers "bootlicking". You are. I'm not the one elevating opinions I agree with as the golden standard for truth. You are.

I'd be extremely surpassed if a portion of CDPR developers weren't unhappy about crunch. Even Adam Badowski says the majority aren't, which necessarily means at least some developers definitely are upset about crunch.

But my position on crunch doesn't depend on whether the totality or even the majority of developers embrace it or reject it. I just take issue with your attempt to discredit certain opinions when they're not convenient, insinuating spurious motivations which, of course, you never ever demonstrate.

I can read, thank you. it's you who's extremely incompetent at articulating any kind of cogent point. You seem to think that asserting ad nauseum equals demonstrating an argument.

Read my lips: it does not.

You cannot repeat that which you never did in the first place.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned

You have to understand, a lot of people here are just in love with CDPR. They’ve long since fallen for their ‘we’re the most gamer-friendly developer on the planet‘ crap, and will defend them over pretty much anything.

The real issue here is CDPR saying they wouldn’t over-work their employees... and then overworking their employees.

What it’s NOT about is bonuses, or how lazy those CDPR employee fuckers are, or how CDPR’s employees can just fucking quit if they don’t like it.

Spin, spin, spin...

Self

Working in software development there's always some form of crunch. Software is not like regular products that can keep to a specific schedule because production wise machines are used. Software is all human number, code crunching.

That's a shitty argument. Other developers/teams prove that it's possible to work without crunch.
Also machines can break, need maintainance etc. It can easily be argued that every job on planet earth needs crunch, because of unforeseeable circumstances. In this way you easily justify inhuman practices.

CDPR is not a company which is struggling for survival. Mandatory crunsh is totally unessesary and a failure of their project planing. If people want to crunch, great. They deserve a raise within that time. But people should not be forced to comply.

Papacheeks

Banned
That's a shitty argument. Other developers/teams prove that it's possible to work without crunch.
Also machines can break, need maintainance etc. It can easily be argued that every job on planet earth needs crunch, because of unforeseeable circumstances. In this way you easily justify inhuman practices.

CDPR is not a company which is struggling for survival. Mandatory crunsh is totally unessesary and a failure of their project planing. If people want to crunch, great. They deserve a raise within that time. But people should not be forced to comply.

Just because a software developer says they dont have crunch, doesn't mean they are not putting in extra hours to meet deadlines. They just might not consider that. Find me a AAA studio or a software engineer that works on cyber security.

It's part of software. Even if lets say you launch a software product on time, no crunch, then put out a patch/update that breaks ton of shit, you bet your ass they have software engineers and support staff working throughout the night to fix it. Thats crunch.

Difference is the frequency's at which it happens.

Siri

Banned

Also... no company should allow their PR dept. to boast about treating its workers a certain way... and then not following through.

If you say one thing, and do another (even if you think you have good reason), you should expect criticism.

CDPR’s PR dept. just can’t stand it when gamers are critical of their company. This is something that’s been with them since the very first Witcher game when they perma-banned anyone who brought to attention how completely unfinished the game was.

Umbral

Negotiate with leadership or choose a different role or career.

Does everyone here need someone to wipe their ass too? Do you all need babysat by bureaucrats?

You have to understand, a lot of people here are just in love with CDPR. They’ve long since fallen for their ‘we’re the most gamer-friendly developer on the planet‘ crap, and will defend them over pretty much anything.

The real issue here is CDPR saying they wouldn’t over-work their employees... and then overworking their employees.

What it’s NOT about is bonuses, or how lazy those CDPR employee fuckers are, or how CDPR’s employees can just fucking quit if they don’t like it.

Spin, spin, spin...

One of the most embarrassing moments in this thread was when you suggested people here were blaming crunch on developers, calling them "lazy", were asked to prove it, quoted someone and then the poster schooled you properly.

Then you went on to insinuate the two developers who went public were merely bootlicking.

Now you are insinuating people defending CDPR have a blind spot of sorts.

Let me be clear, so you can understand:

CDPR behaved extremely poorly during the whole TW3 Downgrade debacle. I believe there's sufficient evidence to show intent to deceive on their part. I have criticized them harshly and extensively around here. Any suggestion I'm a blind fanboy flies in the face of demonstrable facts.

Yes, CDPR management strongly implied they wouldn't have crunch on their watch and apparently went back on their word. Circumstances change, Covid happens, and management has to adapt. But you don't get to decide for me which aspects I should underline, broken promises, and which I should ignore, 10% bonus.

Yes, don't like it at CDPR?
Try to negotiate.
Go on strike.
Quit.

As for you, please keep on insinuating, keep on embarrassing yourself.
I find it quite the spectacle.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
One of the most embarrassing moments in this thread was when you suggested people here were blaming crunch on developers, calling them "lazy", were asked to prove it, quoted someone and then the poster schooled you properly.

Then you went on to insinuate the two developers who went public were merely bootlicking.

Now you are insinuating people defending CDPR have a blind spot of sorts.

Let me be clear, so even you can understand:

CDPR behaved extremely poorly during the whole TW3 Downgrade debacle. I believe there's sufficient evidence to show intent to deceive from their part. I have criticized them harshly and extensively around here. Any suggestion I'm a blind fanboy flies in the face of demonstrable facts.

Yes, CDPR management strongly implied they wouldn't have crunch on their watch and apparently went back on their word. Circumstances change, Covid happens, and management has to adapt. But you don't get to decide for me which aspects I should underline, broken promises, and which I should ignore, 10% bonus.

Yes, don't like it at CDPR?
Try to negotiate.
Go on strike.
Quit.

As for you, please keep on insinuating, keep on embarrassing yourself.
I find it quite the spectacle.

WTF are you talking about????

hemo memo

Gold Member
“share 10% of its yearly profits with the development team.”

I’ll demand crunch if i’m getting a 10% and the game to release in a great state.

EDMIX

This is the stupid take of either this or that. Scheier was just reporting what it is, which is how he got his reputation and many people trust his news. Was it a big deal? Perhaps not, but did he lie? No.
Cdpr simply promises too much and failed to deliver. They were the ones who word by word says "there won't be mandatory crunch", and Jason even reconfirm by asking "so if he wanted to go home and not crunch, cdpr will be ok with that? Yes".
Turns out the release date cannot delay any longer, and mandatory crunch was necessary to do so.
Was the crunch bad? Probably not, but was it it mandatory? Yes. And thus cdpr can't keep the promise they made.

Thread.

I could care less what anyone things of this Jason person, but no one fucking put a gun to CDPR head and made them make these statements.

and

and then...

https://www.techspot.com/news/86938-cdpr-devs-forced-work-crunch-hours-cyberpunk-2077.html

So I don't know what to tell folks regarding this other then that this Jason person isn't forcing anyone to lie like this. They made a statement, then proceeded to do something else entirely. Its why I'm not even arguing about the concept of crunch, that really isn't the issue tbh.

The issue is CDPR should have never been saying shit like

“We’re known—let me be humble for a moment here—we are known for treating gamers with respect,” said Marcin Iwiński, the company’s co-founder, in an interview with Kotaku this week. “This is what we’ve been working hard toward. And I actually would [like] for us to also be known for treating developers with respect.”

One of the ways the company plans to do that, Iwiński said, is through a “non-obligatory crunch policy”

I think they want the attention and "good PR" for saying this shit without actually TRUELY doing it. So I agree with most on here that crunch is pretty fucking normal in gaming, but shit.....MAYBE THATS WHAT CDPR SHOULD HAVE BEEN SAYING FROM THE JUMP! They should have just stated with their interview with Jason "Hey is unavoidable, it happens, look at Rockstar and Naught Dog, thats why we are giving 10% of profit for all our staff" etc. If they did this, stfu until release, you wouldn't be having a tread on this and them on defense mode or something. Maybe stop fucking lying. This team has several damn threads on here about reversals, removed features, 180's and time to admit and we confess etc

This has become so normal for this team, I don't believe much of what they say. They have a very bad habit of saying one thing and doing something else. I simply wait a few weeks or months until it can actually be confirmed.

Last edited:
I have just one question which determines my opinion on this.

Are they compensated overtime or the equivalent for the longer hours during "crunch"?

Cause if they are compensated for the extra crunch hours
yeah, it's proxy argument for a larger economic philosophical agendas and is a disingenuous argument. Just come out and say the honest argument that work hours and forced to work overtime is inhumane (or whatever) and we should make the work week 20 hours at 4 hours a clip. Let people engage you on that honest approach.

If they aren't compensated for the extra crunch hours, then this shit is on developers for expecting more work and not paying for it. Fuck the management and they are exploiting their workforce.

But if they do get compensated for the heavier workload, the rank and file should know what the job entails. Take the job or leave it. Deal and if you can't deal...maybe, just maybe, gaming development isn't for you.

Last edited:

imbrock

Banned
But if they do get compensated for the heavier workload, the rank and file should know what the job entails. Take the job or leave it. Deal and if you can't deal...maybe, just maybe, gaming development isn't for you.

This is anecdotal but its done a lot of hobbyist programming and sometimes you just kinda do it for 17 hours at a stretch. Sometimes that's just how long it takes to finish something and its usually less overall time than splitting it up. Mostly because you don't have to resume something complicated if you finish that one part all at once.

I have just one question which determines my opinion on this.

Are they compensated overtime or the equivalent for the longer hours during "crunch"?

Cause if they are compensated for the extra crunch hours
yeah, it's proxy argument for a larger economic philosophical agendas and is a disingenuous argument. Just come out and say the honest argument that work hours and forced to work overtime is inhumane (or whatever) and we should make the work week 20 hours at 4 hours a clip. Let people engage you on that honest approach.

If they aren't compensated for the extra crunch hours, then this shit is on developers for expecting more work and not paying for it. Fuck the management and they are exploiting their workforce.

They are compensated for every extra hour. Plus, they'll get a bonus.

Here's Adam Badowski's statement. He's co-CEO of CDPR, Head of the Warsaw Studio and game director for Cyberpunk 2077:

EjJ6ibbX0AAJWIS

Last edited:
Top Bottom